• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

milkham

i finished impossible this morning. I've got every achievement except win a multiplayer match, and clear a ufo on classic or impossible with one soldier and i have no idea how to do that.

i finished impossible this morning. I've got every achievement except win a multiplayer match, and clear a ufo on classic or impossible with one soldier and i have no idea how to do that.

start a normal classic game, upgrade a heavy to sergeant, use sergeant on the first UFO mission. 4 sectoids and a outsider isn't too much, just keep reloading until you get it.

Zertez

7 dollars is kind of steep and I will try to hold out for a steam holiday sale, but Ill probably end up caving. Im looking forward to the new armor options as much as the new missions. Sadly I would probably pay 7 dollars if they released dlc with a lot of new armor options.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm getting it. Fuck it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-28-x-communication-julian-gollop-and-jake-solomon-on-xcom

Two generations of XCOM: Gollop and Solomon on this year's remake
I tell him that I had talked to Julian Gollop about XCOM - his XCOM - and I felt Solomon's post-crunch holiday cool fumble for a second.

Solomon groans loudly. "Oh great," he says. "That's like hey, 'I heard you're making a movie of For Whom the Bell Tolls - I just talked to Hemingway about it.'"

Solomon's distress is rooted in the fact that part of him feels like he got away with something when XCOM came in for all the praise it did. "There's no way to understate this: we redesigned the game." Solomon's voice drops a little when he says this, like a man confessing to profane acts in a temple. "We threw out time units, we threw out inventory management. We redesigned the geoscape from the bottom up."

Aside from a few fundamentalist diehards for whom no remake will outshine the nostalgia-glossed perfection of the original, X-Com fans have welcomed the new game, a fact borne out by solid sales numbers and respectably high review scores all around. But if the new XCOM has received a warm embrace from fans and critics, what has original X-Com designer Julian Gollop - Solomon's "personal hero" made of it?

You can relax, Jake Solomon.

"I think Firaxis has done a great job," Julian Gollop told me.

kingkitty

finally got around to finishing my first normal run. I didn't really know what I was doing in the beginning but I finally got a handle of it. Sorry South America for ignoring all your pleas, nothing personal :(

The ending was Underwhelming with a capital U but it was still fun. rip Regina "Ace Arrow" Skyfall, savior of mankind.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just started this today (er yesterday, what time is it?).

Q: How long can I continue to ignore the priority objectives and just level up my base and bros? I have yet to capture a living martian and I've just been kinda sailing along building up my base, satellite coverage and fleet of fighter jets and stuff. Am I eventually going to get intro trouble doing this?

I'm playing on easy by the way. Just wanted to have fun my first game and succumb to the addiction without having to stress about the difficulty or achievements or whatever. All the Iron Man/Impossible stuff definitely awaits me in my future though. Gonna be playing this for a while.

McNum

You should really start capturing aliens. They boost research and give you unbroken Plasma weapons to research.

As for how long you can hold off, well, I'd say until panic becomes unmanageable. In fact, there's a certain story mission that's awesome to unlock early, so you have it ready to go when panic becomes hard to manage.
You'll find an alien base.
That mission gives you -2 panic globally when you win it.

Don't overspend of Interceptors, either. One or two per continent you have satellites on is plenty when you get the better guns, and eventually they will all become redundant. You'll see why. Do, however, overspend of satellites. Sats are great since when you launch one, the country you launch it over gets an immediate -2 panic.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You should really start capturing aliens. They boost research and give you unbroken Plasma weapons to research.

As for how long you can hold off, well, I'd say until panic becomes unmanageable. In fact, there's a certain story mission that's awesome to unlock early, so you have it ready to go when panic becomes hard to manage.
You'll find an alien base.
That mission gives you -2 panic globally when you win it.

Don't overspend of Interceptors, either. One or two per continent you have satellites on is plenty when you get the better guns, and eventually they will all become redundant. You'll see why. Do, however, overspend of satellites. Sats are great since when you launch one, the country you launch it over gets an immediate -2 panic.

K, thanks for the tips. I'm not too worried about weapons because the lazer weapons have been more than good enough for the martians I been fighting but I'm not seeing any way to manage panic now that I have satellites up in around half of the countries and some of them are still getting up to panic level 3-4. I guess I better go ahead and just continue.

TTG

Lured a battleship in, I can use the money and I want that damn blaster launcher. Last time I got one it was only for 2 missions.

It's not gonna be easy on impossible, but I know there are no ethereals yet and the hyperwave is telling me there are no sectopods or muton elites. This is the first mission of the month and it would suck if both of those would show up about now. Then again, I do have 6 sets of titan armor and the best weapons I'm ever going to get.

McNum

Lured a battleship in, I can use the money and I want that damn blaster launcher. Last time I got one it was only for 2 missions.

It's not gonna be easy on impossible, but I know there are no ethereals yet and the hyperwave is telling me there are no sectopods or muton elites. This is the first mission of the month and it would suck if both of those would show up about now. Then again, I do have 6 sets of titan armor and the best weapons I'm ever going to get.
Hyperwave: Don't believe its lies!

I've had it say the same thing about a Battleship. No Sectopods found. Except for that one over there. That was a fun fight, was completely unprepared for it, too.

Scirrocco

Passing on a warning from Reddit. If you download the dlc, you won't be able to load your previous games, you'll have to start new ones. So finish up whatever your playing first.

McNum

Passing on a warning from Reddit. If you download the dlc, you won't be able to load your previous games, you'll have to start new ones. So finish up whatever your playing first.
What.

That's just... Why? Well, I'll never get this DLC, then. Are you sure it disables your old savegames? That's insane.

In honesty, I've since been convinced by a friend and logic to support Firaxis no matter what because it rewards creative projects such as this. Even if it's just a small expression of a disgusting new economic model, it's a model they're probably judged by. But dammit. Inside I wish I wasn't.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In honesty, I've since been convinced by a friend and logic to support Firaxis no matter what because it rewards creative projects such as this. Even if it's just a small expression of a disgusting new economic model, it's a model they're probably judged by. But dammit. Inside I wish I wasn't.

Yeah, I agree. I'll do it for Firaxis.

But this is one of the reasons I didn't buy Street Fighter x Tekken, or pretty much any other nickel and dime DLC.

zkylon

zkylewd
I admire your commitment to the genre, but I dislike practices like this in general so I'll just buy it on sale.

Uh.... WHAT THE FUCK

Edit: appears to be on the PC only (not that that makes it OK), I'm sure it'll get patched soon

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What is this Ironman mode and how is it different?

While the normal game is challenging, all that challenge goes out the window since you can always reload a previous save if you take heavy losses or do something stupid.

Ironman mode gives you only one auto-save, so you have to live with the consequences of your actions. It keeps you honest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the game tonight, and I'm loving it so far. I spent over 20 minutes just customizing my first four soldiers, lol.

Noob question. I'm looking at the situation room screen, and I'm trying to figure out which regions are more confident in me (or whatever). Are countries more supportive of me if the bars under their name are full, or if they're empty? That's the way to tell, right?

Ultrabum

Just got the game tonight, and I'm loving it so far. I spent over 20 minutes just customizing my first four soldiers, lol.

Noob question. I'm looking at the situation room screen, and I'm trying to figure out which regions are more confident in me (or whatever). Are countries more supportive of me if the bars under their name are full, or if they're empty? That's the way to tell, right?

The bars measure panic. Short blue bars are good, flashing red/orange bars are bad.

r1chard

Green good. Red bad.

Playing a casual Classic Ironman difficulty game with the new DLC. I can actually see Impossible Ironman being much, much easier with the DLC than before:

- The bonuses for doing the first slingshot are very, very nice, giving a huge early game boost going into the 2nd month.
- You can't random Squad Disposal as your first council mission, ruining your run
- You get access to OTS+squad upgrade size even if you have a bumpy time in the first couple of missions.
- Worth repeating! You can't random Squad Disposal as your first council mission, ruining your run.
- The actual mission is not hard if you are used to the way Impossible works. You still have to deal with the huge threat of early game Thin Men, but in a way that is much more manageable than the usual Council mission. The
single Chryssalid
is a joke.

I'm hoping to finish the run tomorrow night, but it's nice to have another excuse to play through XCOM again, which is really all I'm looking for in the DLC.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The bars measure panic. Short blue bars are good, flashing red/orange bars are bad.

Green good. Red bad.
Sweet, thanks!

Edit --

1. What do the different symbols above each unit mean? The only thing the game has taught me about is the movement symbols. What's all the other stuff? My soldier just took damage, and I'm trying to figure out how much HP they have left. :-(

2. I'm just going to keep on editing this post until people reply, haha. Another question: How do I know at what range my dudes and the enemy dudes can use their weapons? Choosing cover is hard when I don't know if I can even be attacked from a certain range.

3. What does it mean when I use Hunker Down and it reduces my sight radius? What does my sight radius matter if I'm not on Overwatch? Does it reduce my sight radius for just that turn, or for as long as I'm in that position, or for the entire level, or...?

So i've been continuing my mission to beat classic ironman.

Problem is, All of my Vets died in the first big plan landing mission. Where we find the harvested humans.

Up against two cyber discs and than some bugs, 6 mutons and, one berserker muton. no one from my team made it. So now I have a great base, all but two satellites up, but all my soldier staff are at rank 1.

I have a great Xcom base though, probably the best I ever built. I started in africa and I grindded the hell before I spent research on alien containment. I have 60 engineers, two satalites nexus' and 2x thermal power to spare.

But no vets. Every one of my soldiers hires comes with their first promotion but nothing more and now they panic and kill each other like bitches.

I donno if to start over, or try raise these guys and take on missions where I get better soldiers.

Edit: No matter what, I keep facing more of the high end enemy types and 6 soldiers even with some titan armor and lasers are hardly achieving anything. I now lost 2 council members, I was doing perfectly. before. A stealth satellite in every country. But my rookie troops. They don't survive the missions the game is throwing at me now.

Sweet, thanks!

Edit --

1. What do the different symbols above each unit mean? The only thing the game has taught me about is the movement symbols. What's all the other stuff? My soldier just took damage, and I'm trying to figure out how much HP they have left. :-(

2. I'm just going to keep on editing this post until people reply, haha. Another question: How do I know at what range my dudes and the enemy dudes can use their weapons? Choosing cover is hard when I don't know if I can even be attacked from a certain range.

3. What does it mean when I use Hunker Down and it reduces my sight radius? What does my sight radius matter if I'm not on Overwatch? Does it reduce my sight radius for just that turn, or for as long as I'm in that position, or for the entire level, or...?

1. The HP is the blocks of health above a units head, their symbols represent their class. Heavy, Sniper, Assault, Support, and inexperianced soldiers have the rookie rank.

2. When you're in the fog of war, they can't shoot you. If you can always use full cover instead of half cover. If your unit has yellow cover, that means he's flanked which gives a aim and critical bonus to the alien. If the alien is yellow that means one of your units has a flank shot on it.

3. Hunker down reduces the visibility of your soldier as well, and converts half cover to full. So if you're low on health, it's best to run away and hunker down, making the aliens have to use two turns to follow you. Also if you have other soldiers left. You could place them at the ready, while one soldier brings them to you by running half the term and hunkering down. If the aliens are very close or have squad sight on you, you could still get shot.

TTG

Ah, I think I'm in the last month of my impossible campaign. The difficulty curve at the end game stage has been a little disappointing. Throw 3 or 4 sectopods at me in one mission, or more than 1
ethereal
on a map? I guess not. Over all, I think it's well balanced. The only real frustrating parts are certain maps. I've had 2 in particular that put the player in such a disadvantage and there's no way to maneuver around it. I still remember the battleship fiasco. One door to funnel all 6 people through, wide enough for one person. Nothing but low cover that still leaves you flanked on the other side and a bunch of happy heavy floaters and mutons waiting. Snipers are cut off, no way to spread the squad and at that stage everyone has grenades... lost 2 people in that room.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
1. The HP is the blocks of health above a units head, their symbols represent their class. Heavy, Sniper, Assault, Support, and inexperianced soldiers have the rookie rank.

2. When you're in the fog of war, they can't shoot you. If you can always use full cover instead of half cover. If your unit has yellow cover, that means he's flanked which gives a aim and critical bonus to the alien. If the alien is yellow that means one of your units has a flank shot on it.

3. Hunker down reduces the visibility of your soldier as well, and converts half cover to full. So if you're low on health, it's best to run away and hunker down, making the aliens have to use two turns to follow you. Also if you have other soldiers left. You could place them at the ready, while one soldier brings them to you by running half the term and hunkering down. If the aliens are very close or have squad sight on you, you could still get shot.
Cool, thanks a lot for the info. I feel like there's a lot of things the game doesn't communicate well, but I'm really loving it, still.

Finished the DLC missions last night. I really liked all three missions provided, they were well done and while they do give you a huge boost economically, it doesn't pay off in tech level immediately. So the strategic mode still feels pretty much the same. Worth the full price? Depends if you are looking for an excuse to play XCOM right now or can wait for the Winter Steam Sale.

No spoilers, but my suggestion would be on Impossible Ironman to definitely do the missions instead of the randomly generated missions, as it means you can go through month 2 w/ potentially a heavy of your own + the "free" Heavy you get from the first DLC mission. Tech beam weapons ASAP (which you do anyway) as you'll need them by the time the second council mission comes around, which is followed up a couple of days later by the last in the DLC missions. The laser rifles will do much more for your squad's durability than carapace armor will due to the nature of the maps.

Top Bottom