• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Mazre

Medium overseer, first time the game went full XCOM on me. I think win or lose this campaign, I'll be switching up to classic ironman for my next go round.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, I bought XCOM from GMG too and I must say after 2 hours I'm really enjoying it. The battle gameplay is great (even though I've already lost ~2 agents D:), and the "base management" system and ant colony view seems intuitive and easy enough to grasp after some practice; reminds me of the Civ V tech research system; even though it might seem overwhelming at first, it's just a matter of getting to know the game to know what you want after a couple of playthroughs. Those damn satellites should get built sooner though!
KuGsj.gif

I've already captured an alien and got the crystal from those energy guys using the arc; trying to get laser and reinforced armor equipment for my team now, as well as better satellite coverage.

Oh, and it is a joy to play with an xbox controller, too!

.GqueB.

Banned
Just finished the game last night. Pretty much my game of the year.

I found that this game rewarded patience. I took my time every step of the way. It took longer overall, but in the end I only lost 9 soldiers (which included the ones lost in the tutorial) and the last mission was probably the easiest I played. Always setup my squad as 3 and 3 with a support class with both groups. Great for flanking and keeping people alive. It also helped that I had three psi characters.

I just focused on keeping folks alive. I had one guy with 156 kills and over 50 missions. His name was spike. He was a goddam beast. I have some other tactics but I'm on my phone and too lazy to type it all. Damn good game though.

- Assaults are worthless, their usefulness is situational and you don't want to rush in with them early in the battle to trigger a whole bunch of enemies. Use a squad of 2 Snipers, 2 Support and 2 Heavies.

You did it. You got me out of bed, off of my phone and onto my computer. This is 100% incorrect.

Just about every time I went into battle I had two assaults. Alloy cannon + ghost armor + the perk where they take a shot when an enemy comes within 4 tiles = a goddamn beast. I pretty much ran with the same two assaults for the entire game. They simply never died. I ran this strategy pretty much every match:

Turn on ghost armor
Dash into the map and trigger enemies
Use my sniper with squad site to take out half of them in one turn (he also had double tap)
Clean up the rest with lightening reflexes and run and gun

It never failed. Assaults aren't worthless if you knew how to use them in conjunction with the rest of your team. I used the same squad every match for the second half of the game. Two Assaults with ghost armor, Two snipers (one with squad site and double tap, one with snap shot and in the zone), two supports. I was pretty much unstoppable.

I had to switch this up for terror missions though. Fuck Sectopods.

How much / what stuff should I be selling on the grey market?

Early on you can sell any corpses (leave at least one if you haven't done the autopsy yet) and UFO power sources/computers pretty freely. Just keep in mind that you need corpses to build the aircraft abilities (aim/dodge/etc) so don't go hog wild selling corpes, just when you need extra money the first few months. Try not to sell any weapons fragments and alloys (alloys being the last thing you want to sell early game), and you can freely sell about half the elerium you'll get the first 2 months, then stop selling it, and stop selling weapon fragments. You'll also get some things that say "this item has no research benefit and can be sold freely" which can be sold freely.

Alucrid

Banned
Early on you can sell any corpses (leave at least one if you haven't done the autopsy yet) and UFO power sources/computers pretty freely. Just keep in mind that you need corpses to build the aircraft abilities (aim/dodge/etc) so don't go hog wild selling corpes, just when you need extra money the first few months. Try not to sell any weapons fragments and alloys (alloys being the last thing you want to sell early game), and you can freely sell about half the elerium you'll get the first 2 months, then stop selling it, and stop selling weapon fragments. You'll also get some things that say "this item has no research benefit and can be sold freely" which can be sold freely.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I just encountered my first overseer UFO so I'm gonna need that money. :|

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I just encountered my first overseer UFO so I'm gonna need that money. :|

Oh wow, you're pretty late in the game. Yeah, sell of a lot of corpses, if you have over 200 alloys you could sell some of that. Definitely don't sell any weapon fragments. Honestly you're better of just grinding some and using your monthly income then selling off a lot to make money.

.GqueB.

Banned
How much / what stuff should I be selling on the grey market?

In addition to what the last poster said, they also make it pretty clear what you can sell for the most part. I didn't know until very late in the game and I ended up with so much money when I realized it. It was pretty amazing. I was pretty loaded from then on.

can you capture the crysallid? Everytime I go near it with the arc thrower it says that there's no target in sight. you can autopsy the dead one so I was wondering. Can you capture the robotic aliens (outside of the drone) - like the big round one?

This game is great. really fun.

Miletius

can you capture the crysallid? Everytime I go near it with the arc thrower it says that there's no target in sight. you can autopsy the dead one so I was wondering. Can you capture the robotic aliens (outside of the drone) - like the big round one?

This game is great. really fun.

Nope, you can't capture them, or robots other than the drone. Nothing to gain from it, I think is the reasoning. Or maybe they aren't able to be subdued.

TTG

Medium overseer, first time the game went full XCOM on me. I think win or lose this campaign, I'll be switching up to classic ironman for my next go round.

It happens. You did lose to a worthy adversary, a gang of thin men would have been more demoralizing. As I'm sure you're now aware, that enemy requires a fast and heavy dose of lethal power. I hope you have some heavies with HEAT ammo ability on the bench, 'cause they'll be as common as cyberdisks now.

um, what now:

built that
big spherey thing that needs a psychic. got some psychic soldiers. do I have to level their psyonics up to level 3 before I can use it?

??

surely not. How long does that take?

ElFly

um, what now:

built that
big spherey thing that needs a psychic. got some psychic soldiers. do I have to level their psyonics up to level 3 before I can use it?

??

surely not. How long does that take?

IIRC you only need a psychic, whatever level. It's the
point of no return
though so beware.

finished. excellent game. I played on normal and "cheated" with the saves. can't imagine what ironman mode would be like. Hell I'd imagine.

it really echoes the 1st 2 xcom games and almost feels like an updated title with the polish and visuals.
I just wish there was more to the ending - in the post alien world. Its abrupt and I'm guessing they're leaving room for DLC or there's more ending in the other modes?

well worth the money

HoosTrax

First time playing today. I thought I was doing ok 8 hours in. Then I got a mission where three of these little flying saucers transformed into robots and wrecked my shit. Also, I guess I also screwed up by neglecting satellites and interceptors :\

Also, can someone give me the low-down on the laser beam weapons I can buy in my engineering lab versus the plasma weapons I can capture? I did notice (and maybe it was just coincidence) that the plasma weapons seem fairly accurate -- is there a downside to them?

abundant

Also, can someone give me the low-down on the laser beam weapons I can buy in my engineering lab versus the plasma weapons I can capture? I did notice (and maybe it was just coincidence) that the plasma weapons seem fairly accurate -- is there a downside to them?

Light Plasma Rifles have the same base and crit damage as Laser Rifles, plus a boost in Aim.

Plasma Rifles and Heavy Plasma guns have the highest base and crit damage of their respected classes. Mutons and Heavy Floaters carry the Rifle and Muton Elites carry Heavy Plasmas.

Plasma Snipers have the highest base and crit damage of their respected class. No enemy carries it.

You need to upgrade to Plasma/capture aliens for their weapons, or else face a difficulty spike when the game upgrades to late game enemies. The same goes for Armor too.

Zertez

Good to see so many new people playing the game. Hopefully with the increased sales, we will see more dlc and information about upcoming dlc. While the game has its flaws, Firaxis did a great job streamlining many things and teaching new players how to get started. As much as I loved the old Xcom games, they were brutal for new players and many would quit before seeing the side of the game that made it great.

M.D

Bought this game two hours before the GMG deal ended, I wasn't sure if I'll like it, but I love it!

I'm at the point where I *tried* to capture the more advanced alien. Any tip going forward? I'm doing what some have suggested, building satellites and workshops, got a fifth man on the squad. I run out of my money really fast, any way I can generate more money? I just sold some damaged equipment it said can't be used for research on the grey market

Just lost the game :( I attacked the first base which we entered after getting the key, I did some research, and like 4 countries pulled out as there was no way for me to manage them all quick enough. Bah.

I like the turn based combat but the resources/country diplomacy things are really lame. I don't want to restart but I lost too many countries early on when I was figuring stuff out to salvage my last save or two.

... think I'll be shelving it.

Bought this game two hours before the GMG deal ended, I wasn't sure if I'll like it, but I love it!

I'm at the point where I *tried* to capture the more advanced alien. Any tip going forward? I'm doing what some have suggested, building satellites and workshops, got a fifth man on the squad. I run out of my money really fast, any way I can generate more money? I just sold some damaged equipment it said can't be used for research on the grey market

Having more satellites is the only reliable way to get money, but even with full coverage money still runs out fast, so think carefully before you buy. Tips going forward- prioritize armor and weapons, and don't risk soldiers when you try to capture aliens. You really need to focus on survivability the first few months, any big squad loses can be devastating.

Just lost the game :( I attacked the first base which we entered after getting the key, I did some research, and like 4 countries pulled out as there was no way for me to manage them all quick enough. Bah.

I like the turn based combat but the resources/country diplomacy things are really lame. I don't want to restart but I lost too many countries early on when I was figuring stuff out to salvage my last save or two.

... think I'll be shelving it.

You're giving up after 1 lose? Jeez man some people here lost 10, 15, or more games before finally beating it. Don't give up after 1 game.

Dynamic3

Is it possible to get sat coverage over every country? I tried three times last weekend, rushing nothing but sat facilities and tech, yet still had five countries at full panic before my second council report.

If so, any tips?

Is it possible to get sat coverage over every country? I tried three times last weekend, rushing nothing but sat facilities and tech, yet still had five countries at full panic before my second council report.

If so, any tips?

Yes it is. I just added 3 sats a month until it was full. You might have to get a little lucky though, since I don't think it's possible to prevent at least 1 country from going into 5 star panic after you put a sat over it, and so you'll need an abduction mission there to reduce it. I had one such occurrence with India, had a sat over it, but it still crept up to 5 stars, but I got lucky and a mission popped for it 2 days before the council report.

Miletius

Early on you can sell almost everything, good idea to keep weapon fragments though. It's rough in the early missions because you have to balance sat production with upgrades, but remember each sat gives you more money from the country it's sitting over, so keep that in mind as a priority.

Also, I know it's mentioned a while back but hasn't been recently -- you should always wait to launch your sats near the end of the month. That way you can target which countries to save and you don't get the cash bonus until the first anyways.

ShaneB

I don't think I'll have fun restarting the game, though.

I guess I just find that kind of silly. I've fully accepted that this game is best played when it's approached as a Roguelike. Make your choices matter and accept the outcome, and if everything falls apart, it's back to square one.

Then this game is not for you. Return it while you can get full price for it.

I'll contact GMG and get that refund from two months ago :p

I guess I just find that kind of silly. I've fully accepted that this game is best played when it's approached as a Roguelike. Make your choices matter and accept the outcome, and if everything falls apart, it's back to square one.

I didn't really know failure was so easy. I knew it was hard combat wise and you lost squadmates a lot, etc, but not restarting the entire game.

It's just not for me in this game. I love Demon's/Dark Souls so I'm not against hard failures and such, but yeah, in this game I was enjoying the progression and now that's gone so has my enthusiasm to play.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh man. I just downed the overseer ship. Ran into the giant mech thingy thought I was in the clear then comes the overseer. lol. downed one of my guys but they went critical and I finished them off before they died. I should probably get some medkits...

abundant

Oh man. I just downed the overseer ship. Ran into the giant mech thingy thought I was in the clear then comes the overseer. lol. downed one of my guys but they went critical and I finished them off before they died. I should probably get some medkits...

Supports with the three medkit perk and the revive perk are so good. I generally have two on my squad and it helps a lot whenever something goes wrong, especially with the improved medkits from the Foundry.

ShaneB

I didn't really know failure was so easy. I knew it was hard combat wise and you lost squadmates a lot, etc, but not restarting the entire game.

It's just not for me in this game. I love Demon's/Dark Souls so I'm not against hard failures and such, but yeah, in this game I was enjoying the progression and now that's gone so has my enthusiasm to play.

oh I understand, no doubt about it. As much as I love Demon's/Dark Souls, they drove me crazy mad too at times because of progression lost, but that sense of dread and terror is vital to the gameplay experience. I just Xcom ironman just because I've always hated the idea of TBS games that do dip into just case studies of save and reloading. There's no sense of finality when you can just keep reloading with no consequences.

Supports with the three medkit perk and the revive perk are so good. I generally have two on my squad and it helps a lot whenever something goes wrong, especially with the improved medkits from the Foundry.

Same here. Medics are the backbone of my squad. I always bring 2 unless I know it's going to be an easy mission.

Finished my Classic Ironman game. Pretty much crushed it. Didn't lose any council nations, only had 2 notable soldier loses, researched pretty much everything, upgraded everything in the foundry, has at least 1 Firestorm on every continent. Now it's on to Ironman Impossible.

Edit: Wow, just got my shit completely pushed in on the very first mission. Missed every single shot I took except 1, and that was a 92% close range flank that went for 3 damage with my last guy who was then killed by that alien the next turn.

Canuck76

Banned
Man those tanker ufo missions with sectopods are INSANE. I got a mission with 3 sectopods and a handfull of muton elites and beserkers. I took 2 assault guys, probably a mistake. Working on it right now, I'm close to figuring it out. Some of these missions take a lot of trial and error if you bring the wrong team though.

What the fuck, is the first month on Impossible a complete crapshot? I can't even get through the first mission. I've easily missed over 90% of my shots from 45%-65% and the sectoids are 1 shooting me from full cover almost half the time.

Miletius

What the fuck, is the first month on Impossible a complete crapshot? I can't even get through the first mission. I've easily missed over 90% of my shots from 45%-65% and the sectoids are 1 shooting me from full cover almost half the time.

It's not a crapshot but it's much much much harder. Well, there are a few maps where it's really really difficult to survive also.

Alucrid

Banned
So before the last mission can you just keep delaying it and playing indefinitely? I kinda felt like I just got my guys all geared and powered up when I hit it.

Miletius

So before the last mission can you just keep delaying it and playing indefinitely? I kinda felt like I just got my guys all geared and powered up when I hit it.

Yeah, you can delay as long as you want, provided you manage panic as you would normally. By the end of the game panic shouldn't be an issue though.

The Stig

you can wait for a while. but the ships you down (even small ones) tend to have bigger (and more powerful) crews as the game goes on.

edit for bad grammar

Why did I miss that motherfucking terrifying chryssalid when I had a 99% Chance to hit?

That’s XCOM, baby!

Three times in a row!!

I shut that shit down last night and went to be in a huff. Such a piss off.

Brought XCOM from GMG without playing the other games and started it today.

Played for like 13 hours in one sitting aside from breaks, etc.

god damn.

Double D

Started playing this a few days ago after getting from the GMG sale. I don't play strategy games at all and am not familiar with the XCOM franchise at all.

That said I'm really enjoying the game but still don't feel very comfortable with all the management.

I just got to the alien base/skeleton key thing last night and up to they point I only had 2 satellites. I feel like I should have more but on the other hand I don't feel like I've had the opportunity to build much more. I've got some buildings being built but panic levels just seem overly high.

Anyways this may all be irrelevant at this point because I don't think I had any business going in that base. I was doing ok til I discovered the 'new type' of alien. They ripped my team to shreds. Literally. I quit to desktop and just now realized the game doesn't autosave so I'll have a lot to redo tonight. That said, any advice?

Hm, $40 at EB Games.

Going to get this tomorrow and trade in Mario Kart 7 while I'm at it. Any chance any of you know the trade in value of MK7 at EB/Best Buy?

Top Bottom