• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

DBT85

I hate that goddamn cemetery map. :(

4tojx.jpg

As I was skirting along the outside of the map all 10 sectoids aggro'd. I took 1 down with overwatch, but it was no use, 1 man was killed, 2 others critical injuried. I tried to escape with my last surviving sniper...

That looks like a job for a Heavy with Danger Zone.

Did you try and stand your ground once they aggro'd or did you run away and try and pick them off?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bummer.

I checked the steam page for the DLC and it doesnt mention that you have to start a new game.

but yeah, the 3 missions are scheduled specifically, sadly. Id say go ahead and start a new game. you can always improve something on your last game.

I'm too attached to my current squad.

That looks like a job for a Heavy with Danger Zone.

Did you try and stand your ground once they aggro'd or did you run away and try and pick them off?

3 of them were killed on the same turn as the enemies aggro'd, I tried to retreat the sniper, he missed the first overwatch, got killed by the second.

DBT85

3 of them were killed on the same turn as the enemies aggro'd, I tried to retreat the sniper, he missed the first overwatch, got killed by the second.

Ahh I see. I don't know if anyone uses it on harder modes but Beagles tip of making your first move your furthest move has been working well for me on my n00by Normal game.

If you get aggro then you have some options with the rest of the squad duck out and either run your first guy back or hunker down and get some smoke on him.

I'm finding the UI at the bottom of the screen really annoying when selecting moves. The options should be Attack, Overwatch, Hunker and THEN specials. And it moving dynamically left and right depending on how many options each squad member has is also frustrating.

Fireblend

Banned
Anyone know if they're just working on new DLC or an expansion pack? XCOM seems perfect for a nice $20 expansion pack

I think someone mentioned they were a few pages back... but I don't have a source and don't remember who said it... I really hope they come through with decent DLC, I've only played for around 10 hours (and on easy mode), but I can see myself playing this for a long time (I'm already really tempted to start a classic game, but I want to finish this playthrough first) and I'd love new content, specially if it meant more missions/classes/etc.

Ahh I see. I don't know if anyone uses it on harder modes but Beagles tip of making your first move your furthest move has been working well for me on my n00by Normal game.

If you get aggro then you have some options with the rest of the squad duck out and either run your first guy back or hunker down and get some smoke on him.

I'm finding the UI at the bottom of the screen really annoying when selecting moves. The options should be Attack, Overwatch, Hunker and THEN specials. And it moving dynamically left and right depending on how many options each squad member has is also frustrating.

I'm not sure why they attacked immediately upon aggro'ing, I thought aliens would only retreat the first time you encounter them. The whole situation was bizarre. The turn before 2 aliens aggro'ed near the center and disappeared out of site. I overwatched my troops without moving them and then the next turn all those aliens popped up. One group fell though the ground and I just saw a black screen with ALIEN ACTIVITY for about 15 seconds, then the camera popped back on top, the sectoids shuffled around, then shot on all my guys.

So is the 1st Alien Base really just that much of a jump in challenge? I finally beat it the other night, but it really turned me off to a game I was otherwise enjoying. Maybe I should have waited longer to start it. I thought going in with everyone in the Carapice armor, a couple of lazer rifles, and every squad member being ranked up several times would have been enough. I had been rolling through earlier missions - even the one Terror mission, while super intimidating, I got out of with only one squad member KIA.

I ended up having to resort to save spamming to get through it. There were a couple of places where 6 Chryssalids would trigger and just absolutely decimate my squad. I felt like I had been playing conservatively - never rushing, always hanging back and making sure everyone was in cover - and because of the trigger points on these groups the only way to make it through was KNOWING where they would trigger. Otherwise, it wasn't even a case of loosing a few/most of the squad - it was just a wipe.

This just seems cheap. I was really enjoying the game before this, and felt that while it was hard - it was also fair. The Alien Base just seemed like a mean joke that you needed to cheese to get past. Being slow and patient seemed to be rewarded in the past, with the Alien Base it required a level of forsight that you would not get from regular play. You needed to KNOW where the trigger points were.

So, I guess my questions is - was this a one off thing? Will the regular missions go back to that hard but fair balance? What about the other big story missions? Do they follow this same tact of throwing strategy out the window in favor of straight up punishment?

Because if this is how the rest of the game plays out, then I'm not sure I want to invest the time into it, knowing I'll just have to cheese my way through in the end.

So is the 1st Alien Base really just that much of a jump in challenge? I finally beat it the other night, but it really turned me off to a game I was otherwise enjoying. Maybe I should have waited longer to start it. I thought going in with everyone in the Carapice armor, a couple of lazer rifles, and every squad member being ranked up several times would have been enough. I had been rolling through earlier missions - even the one Terror mission, while super intimidating, I got out of with only one squad member KIA.

I ended up having to resort to save spamming to get through it. There were a couple of places where 6 Chryssalids would trigger and just absolutely decimate my squad. I felt like I had been playing conservatively - never rushing, always hanging back and making sure everyone was in cover - and because of the trigger points on these groups the only way to make it through was KNOWING where they would trigger. Otherwise, it wasn't even a case of loosing a few/most of the squad - it was just a wipe.

This just seems cheap. I was really enjoying the game before this, and felt that while it was hard - it was also fair. The Alien Base just seemed like a mean joke that you needed to cheese to get past. Being slow and patient seemed to be rewarded in the past, with the Alien Base it required a level of forsight that you would not get from regular play. You needed to KNOW where the trigger points were.

So, I guess my questions is - was this a one off thing? Will the regular missions go back to that hard but fair balance? What about the other big story missions? Do they follow this same tact of throwing strategy out the window in favor of straight up punishment?

Because if this is how the rest of the game plays out, then I'm not sure I want to invest the time into it, knowing I'll just have to cheese my way through in the end.

The base assault can be tricky the first time you do it, but it sounds like you went it soft. I normally have titan armor and a few plasmas before doing it, and I'm fighting mutons, heavy floaters, and cyberdisks, not wimpy chryssalids.

The base assault can be tricky the first time you do it, but it sounds like you went it soft. I normally have titan armor and a few plasmas before doing it, and I'm fighting mutons, heavy floaters, and cyberdisks, not wimpy chryssalids.

Ahh, that would make sense as well. I've not even seen any of the enemies you've listed yet, and while I can research Titan Armor I've not done that yet. Guess I should have put off the mission longer then. As it was, though, I'd waited almost a month for the other research to pop and for another abduction mission to grind out as well.

I'll keep on plugging on, but man that was annoying.

Damn, came so close to beating a medium UFO mission with 4 rookies. What a fucking effort from them, 11 kills total, only the outsider was left with 2 HP. I got 10 kills from rookies the terror mission before that, but I had to abort with 1 guy left.

EDIT: And that ends Ironman Impossible run #3. 61 days survived, 8 battles fought, 2 won, 6 lost, 38 aliens killed, 20 dead soldiers.
My best attempt yet!

EDIT: Game #4- first 2 missions have gone good, lost 1 man. I've got a heavy up to corporal, but I can't decide if I want to take holo-targeting or bullet swarm. Using 2 moves for shooting is nice, but that aim bonus might really help some my blind rookies out...

EDIT: Mission #4 was a disaster, nearly a totally wipeout but I did manage to escape with my sergeant heavy and a promoted rookie. Just too many sectoids aggro'ed at once. I aggro one pack, and 3 more packs aggro even though I'm nowhere near. Aborting the mission sent waves of panic across Europe and I lost 4 counties the first month. Oh well...

Mazre

My first Classic run has ended in utter defeat. Things started out fairly well but a few early mistakes snowballed rather quickly. By May squads of rookies were being sent to die at the hands of mutons and cyberdiscs. I have to say I'm proud of the full rookie squad that managed to full excellent a terror mission, even though they were subsequently massacred on their next mission.

Pretty significant leap in difficulty from normal to classic though I welcome the challenge. Enemies are more aggressive and the overall timetable feels much more compressed. My 2 big takeaways from this campaign were learning the value of grenades early on, and the value of the tactical retreat.

Just got an update for this on Steam. Any idea what it was?

*edit*

OHH SHIIIIIIIET!

Patch 3 Notes

Second Wave addition
If a player has beaten the game, they can access a variety of gameplay toggles upon starting a new game. The Second Wave option will be available on the New Game menu.

AI teleport bug fix
Minimizes the bug where aliens teleport into the middle of a player’s squad

Defeat screen when beating the game
Minimizes a bug that displays a Defeat screen after winning the game

PC Only
Chris Kluwe as XCOM Hero unlock

2013-01-08_000013toj1.jpg

Just got an update for this on Steam. Any idea what it was?

*edit*

OHH SHIIIIIIIET!

Patch 3 Notes

Second Wave addition
If a player has beaten the game, they can access a variety of gameplay toggles upon starting a new game. The Second Wave option will be available on the New Game menu.

AI teleport bug fix
Minimizes the bug where aliens teleport into the middle of a player’s squad

Defeat screen when beating the game
Minimizes a bug that displays a Defeat screen after winning the game

PC Only
Chris Kluwe as XCOM Hero unlock

2013-01-08_000013toj1.jpg

:O

Nice!

DBT85

I like that he acknowledges the modders for digging it up and for actually helping him out by already testing it and finding the bugs and where improvements could be made.

Now release a StarGate mod. Double time.

McNum

I like that he acknowledges the modders for digging it up and for actually helping him out by already testing it and finding the bugs and where improvements could be made.

Now release a StarGate mod. Double time.
I just started watching SG-1 on Netflix. It has ten seasons? That's... going to take a while. Anyway. it does have a lot of similarities to the basic XCOM idea there, but also several differences. I say we go the other way around, though. I want I want XCOM: Alpha Team the TV series. Maybe following a movie, like Stargate did.

Rufus

Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential will do for me, haha. Still haven't even beaten Classic Ironman. I should get back to that.

DBT85

Interesting, you have more options than me. Everything below "marathon" isnt there for me.

You unlock new options for every mode you beat it on.

I just started watching SG-1 on Netflix. It has ten seasons? That's... going to take a while. Anyway. it does have a lot of similarities to the basic XCOM idea there, but also several differences. I say we go the other way around, though. I want I want XCOM: Alpha Team the TV series. Maybe following a movie, like Stargate did.

I think any differences would be easy enough to mod out so long as they had access to it all.

And good luck with SG-1, I never watched it when it aired originally and then had a marathon few months where I watched all 10 seasons. It was glorious. Richard Dean Anderson brings it time and time again. Real shame Universe was canned as early as it was.

I'm sure this list is in the thread somewhere anyway but since it's ow official and we are talking about it, the full list of the options and what they do

• Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
  • New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
  • Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
  • Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
  • Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
  • Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
  • The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
  • Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
  • Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
  • High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
  • Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
  • More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.
  • War Weariness: Funding goes down over time.
  • E-115: Elerium degrades over time.
  • Total Loss: Lose all soldier gear upon death.
  • Alternate Sources: The power source cost to build facilities increases dramatically.

DBT85

From the RPS interview there was no mention of needing to beat it on Ironman. 4 unlock for everyone and then the next 12 are all dependant on beating the game on Normal, Classic and Impossible.

[...]there are sixteen options in total and they just sort of change the way that the game plays. When it goes live, you’ll automatically get four new options to play the game and there are 12 other options that unlock if you beat the game on normal, classic and impossible. And it’s retroactive, so if you’ve already beaten the game it will recognise that and unlock all the other options as well.

RPS: So you need to have beaten all three difficulty settings to get all the new options? I’m not sure I can ever finish it on Impossible.

Jake Solomon: Right, and I’m typically not a big fan of unlocks, but the reason why we decided to do that is that the ones that are behind Classic and especially Impossible are really, really punishing. The idea with the unlocks behind Impossible are… Well, I said this about Impossible and it turned out not to be true. People have beaten impossible Iron Man, but this time, I’m telling you, it really won’t be about beating the game but rather it’s supposed to be like a roguelike. It’s a little more like Dwarf Fortress, like how long you can survive not that you can beat the game. I say that knowing full well somebody will beat the game with those options unlocked.

Miletius

Going to have to restart my latest game now. Not sure if I want to put the tougher options on, War Weariness and E-115 in particular sounds brutal.

The Stig

most of those second wave options look like more ways to be flattened. challenge is OK but I was hoping for some fun modifiers.

I want paintball mode.

Grimsen

Checked this morning, and got all the 2nd wave options.

I think I'm going to use all the left-side options except marathon in my next game of C/I. Added randomization will be great. Marathon and the right-side options would really change to pace of the game, and I'm going to keep that for another time.

McNum

most of those second wave options look like more ways to be flattened. challenge is OK but I was hoping for some fun modifiers.

I want paintball mode.
You can get paintball mode, but the aliens still use their plasma weapons. You might be able to hit a Sectoid in the eye.

Miletius

Interview about upcoming DLC from PC Gamer

Summary: Yes to more DLC, probably won't see something like Slingshot again since people didn't like it so much.

PCG: Other than The Second Wave, what XCOM updates will we see from Firaxis this year? Are you planning to release more DLC along the lines of Slingshot?

Solomon: Not along the lines of Slingshot. We haven’t announced our next steps, although we have, I think, publicly announced that there is going to be more content in 2013. What I’m saying is that I don’t disagree with anything anybody is saying that they want. We all, as a team, completely agree that XCOM is a great platform for more things, basically. More items and aliens and maps. We totally get that. It’s just that those things take time.

That’s the sort of thing that we’re excited to continue to work with on XCOM. We look at XCOM as a sort of platform for this stuff. People should definitely know that we’re committed to it. We hear what people want and we totally agree. We haven’t heard anything where we disagree. We’re in tune with that. We’ve got our ears to the ground.

DBT85

Does anyone know what it is about Marathon mode that makes it take longer to complete the story?

I assume it's just something like exp being reduced, time triggers being extended, etc.

Probably research and construction takes longer too?

Grimsen

I'd settle for a good map pack, some new enemies an more tech.

Cruise ship terror missions complete with Bio-drones have to be in though.

Edit: The game not only needs new aliens, but tougher ones too. Chrysalids become mundane late game, we need a version that is stronger, and that has the melee equivalent of Run & Gun. We also need aliens with squad-sight.

Does anyone know what it is about Marathon mode that makes it take longer to complete the story?

I assume it's just something like exp being reduced, time triggers being extended, etc.

Probably research and construction takes longer too?

I took a look at it- Xeno tech takes 24 days to complete, and most things cost twice as much, sats were $200, uplink was $300, etc.

McNum

I'd settle for a good map pack, some new enemies an more tech.

Cruise ship terror missions complete with Bio-drones have to be in though.

Edit: The game not only needs new aliens, but tougher ones too. Chrysalids become mundane late game, we need a version that is stronger, and that has the melee equivalent of Run & Gun. We also need aliens with squad-sight.
Hmm, Sectoids become Sectoid Commanders. Mutons have an Elite variant. Floaters get a Heavy Armor upgrade. Chryssalids could get a similar upgrade, if they wanted to. By the endgame, 'lids aren't that much of a threat. Oh no, it does 7-ish damage and I have a mere 25 health. In the old game, 'lids did binary damage. "Tag, you're a zombie!" This made the a threat all the way through the game. You know, a sneakier Chryssalid that can use cover and has more health would be a real menace. Especially if it could cloak. Okay, the cloaking would be cruel, but still. Chryssalids need an upgrade! At least some form that gives it more damage. Or wings.

McNum

Cloaked Chrysalids.

Wait, I'm letting it sink in.

Yes.
Remember, attacking from stealth is a guaranteed critical, too.

Honestly, just giving the normal Chryssalid a cloaking device might be all it needs to keep up with the endgame. The "Oh, CRAP!" moment when you spot a group of Chryssalids, and then they all just cloak would be so funny, too. There's 16*3 melee damage per turn out there, somewhere.

The Sniper's Battle Scanner should probably get a Foundry upgrade to be able to spot cloaked units. You know, in the interest of "Cruel, but fair" that the game is going for.

Now give one in three Heavy Floaters a Plasma Sniper and Squad Sight... Okay that'd just be mean, but still.

Oppo

So, Second Wave free DLC update is out today, no?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/8/3846628/xcom-enemy-unknown-second-wave-dlc-interview

To that end, Second Wave introduces 16 game-altering options to Enemy Unknown that allow players to further customize their play experience beyond Iron Man mode and the existing difficulty settings (the last four options are unlocked only when the game is completed on Impossible difficulty):

Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier's mission stats.
Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.
War Weariness: Funding goes down over time.
E-115: Elerium degrades over time.
Total Loss: Lose all soldier gear upon death.
Alternate Sources: The power source cost to build facilities increases dramatically.

Sullichin

I started a new game after reading some helpful advice here. Off to a much better start, captured the two aliens and I've unlocked the alien base assault mission which I'm scared to start. I lost Russia already though, and I picked the other upgrade for my first sniper instead of squad sight :|

Mission #5, Abduction in Russia- total wipe. My first encounter with floaters this game, and boy did they make themselves known. It's insane how worthless full cover is on Impossible. Out of 4 shots taken when I was in full cover but not hunkered 3 were kill shots. Meanwhile I missed half my shots, despite averaging 75% odds. This attempt is now a complete bust, I'll truck it out a little further, I just got carapace armor, so maybe if I can salvage 1 more mission I'll make it to month 3.

Top Bottom