• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
stop fucking around with earth jeeez, I just want to play the game. Stop.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What does this mean? People are already playing the game on Steam, is that correct?

If so, tell me details please :D

Not quite. Being a Steam(works) game, your ability to actually play ahead of your local release date is dependent upon the earliest region within which the game is released. In the case of X-COM, the game unlocks in the US on the 9th, but releases elsewhere later. Ergo, you use a VPN to essentially trick Steam into assuming that you're in the US and therefore can unlock and play the game earlier than the arbitrary belated release date intends.

(Read this so that you're informed of the potential risk when using a VPN.)

Edit: Clarity... and for a moment there I thought this was the Dishonored OT. :p

frontieruk

What do you mean by fully-fledged? I don't really see a coop working in a game like this, unfortunately.

see I do it working, you could either attack separate objectives, where the client only has to report back the end result as the map could be all controlled client side, or you'd attempt a terror site as a team, maps 'could' be bigger or the aliens more organised, players would get the choice of 'landing' together where they could clear the map together fanning out and covering each other or separate where they'd clear the map with no team visibility until they met up (later techs would give the teams that ability from the start), players could chose to alternate turns ie p1/p2 p1/p2 until all the squad members had moved or team turns with p1 going then p2 the the server.

there isn't anything more complex in X-Com than Civ and that's got online co-op.

patapuf

fully-fledged? what's wrong with the one they have now?

More modes (objective based stuff), stuff like replays, campaign coop, more than 5 maps ect. there's tons of stuff that could be done.

Obviously MP wasn't their focus and i'm satisfied with what we have but you could expand the multi stuff a lot.

I broke and pre-ordered XCOM, so now I'm getting both this and Dishonored on the same day. Should last me until the end of the year.

Sigh. My wallet is angry but my id is happy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is too much for my heart to handle. I got Dishonored yesterday, and now today I actually did get XCOM. About to dig in after I pick it up.

I read that the earlier x come had multiplayer, is that true and if so how did it work?

I' m sure I will like what is looks really fun, but the addition of more gametypes, some integration of strategy layer, asynnch play and other things you see in modern tbs games.

I'm betting they are waiting to see the response to multiplayer to decide about doing an mp doc expansion.

By fully-fledged I just meant (dream multiplayer):

1) Ranking system/fair matchmaking
2) Human&Alien persistent ranking
3) More maps
4) Perhaps co-op options as someone said above

Obviously the multiplayer that's already in the game is okay, and better than no multiplayer at all, but the systems are there for a really deep multiplayer experience from what I've seen.

Does this have any local multiplayer btw, or would it ruin the game to be able to see your opponents moves?

Has this been posted yet? Pretty hilarious...

XCom in real life.

http://youtu.be/Z0WTA05K7Lk
387920-20animated_gif20chuck_norris20dodgeball20thumbs_up.gif

These guys came out of no where, this somehow managed to capture the essence of the game (while being authentically funny) to a degree i never expected.

Nocebo

see I do it working, you could either attack separate objectives, where the client only has to report back the end result as the map could be all controlled client side, or you'd attempt a terror site as a team, maps 'could' be bigger or the aliens more organised, players would get the choice of 'landing' together where they could clear the map together fanning out and covering each other or separate where they'd clear the map with no team visibility until they met up (later techs would give the teams that ability from the start), players could chose to alternate turns ie p1/p2 p1/p2 until all the squad members had moved or team turns with p1 going then p2 the the server.

there isn't anything more complex in X-Com than Civ and that's got online co-op.
It's not about the complexity but the gameplay "phases" are completely different in X-Com versus Civilization.
I see you mention nothing about the base management part. Which is precisely the part which stands in the way of coop working in my opinion.
Not sure how your suggestion of "attacking separate objectives" would work. Would time keep ticking for the player not in an objective? Or would they do separate objectives at the same time every time? What if one finishes earlier than the other? Time on the geoscape level would have to keep ticking, but you just can't have that while someone else is still in a mission for obvious reasons.
I just don't see how the base management part of the game can be played with 2 players and have something to do for both players.
Perhaps if you could have two bases, one base for each, and then when an event happens the players choose which team responds, during the event each player picks the soldiers they'll control and proceed from there with simultaneous turns or something. But still the flow seems off.

Played through the demo, it was good. Will be buying it when i get a chance. I didn't really like how everything is already sorted out for you though, i like it when you have to set everything up yourself (e.g Evil Genius)

3) More maps

Obviously the multiplayer that's already in the game is okay, and better than no multiplayer at all, but the systems are there for a really deep multiplayer experience from what I've seen.

Does this have any local multiplayer btw, or would it ruin the game to be able to see your opponents moves?

1) There is a ranking system and a leaderboard. They are using the Elo rating system. Check some of the MP streams as well- there is a leaderboard link.
2) That would be cool
3) Agree
4) Nah

frontieruk

It's not about the complexity but the gameplay "phases" are completely different in X-Com versus Civilization.
I see you mention nothing about the base management part. Which is precisely the part which stands in the way of coop working in my opinion.
Not sure how your suggestion of "attacking separate objectives" would work. Would time keep ticking for the player not in an objective? Or would they do separate objectives at the same time every time? What if one finishes earlier than the other? Time on the geoscape level would have to keep ticking, but you just can't have that while someone else is still in a mission for obvious reasons.
I just don't see how the base management part of the game can be played with 2 players and have something to do for both players.
Perhaps if you could have two bases, one base for each, and then when an event happens the players choose which team responds, during the event each player picks the soldiers they'll control and proceed from there with simultaneous turns or something. But still the flow seems off.

I don't see how it's any different to Civ, two civilisations with a joint agenda but separately controlled, time passes at the same rate for both civilisations.

So Xcom 2x bases, both with a joint agenda to protect the earth but controlled separately, so as described as objectives, each player can attack a UFO and play apart the client (as we all no it'll be p2p) just reports back the result of the mission, losses/kills etc when the mission is over.

I assume your complaint is over the time elapsed in the base/geoscape? In the original the clock stopped in mission which would mean the times between players would get out of sync? that's a simple case of the client/server recording the geoscape time when the mission starts, the server/client can then query the other party to see who is further on in time at the end of the mission and bringing them up to that date, increasing their research/etc accordingly sure it's not perfect, but if time in the geoscape is set as a constant ie 5min intervals it's not really going to hurt anyone.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

3) More maps

If this game sells well...

F2P XCOM
Youre welcome fireaxis
Hire me pls

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just checked my emails, thank you very very much Dizzy-4U!
He gift me the game! :0

Jintor

PRELIMINARY XCOM STAFFING ROSTER
[*] This document is subject to change as verified information is released for internal dissemination.

[*] As per standard security arrangements, all personnel are referred to via their pre-assigned callsigns. Refer to Document X-F501 for further information.

CONTACT TEAM ALPHA
Pvt. Mupod
Pvt. UnknownSoldier
Pvt. Frontieruk
Pvt. Thy

WAITLIST
Pvt. Deraldin
Pvt. Lorebringer
Pvt. Fin
Pvt. Rentahamster
Pvt. The Wizard
Pvt. Tu101uk
Pvt. Spirit Of Jazz
Pvt. Luigi87
Pvt. Sober
Pvt. Keikaku
Pvt. Porkwing
Pvt. Alboreo
Pvt. Admiral Snackbar
Pvt. Grimsen
Pvt. Calder
Pvt. Zchen
Pvt. Azure
Pvt. Khatoz
Pvt. PBAlfredo
Pvt. Epmode
Pvt. Atilac
Pvt. Miletius
Pvt. Clevinger
Pvt. Protein
Pvt. Reluctant-Hero
Pvt. FreakNamedPete
Pvt. Gav47
Pvt. Spudbud
Pvt. Acksman
Pvt. FtHTiny
Pvt. Patapuf
Pvt. Kami_Sama
Pvt. Sotha Sil
Pvt. Echothreealpha
Pvt. DerFeef
Pvt. Gibon3z
Pvt. Palmer_v1
Pvt. Orgun
Pvt. Raphier
Pvt. Joeboy101
Pvt. PsychoWARD23
Pvt. Cirekiller
Pvt. A_Secret_Boss
Pvt. IamMikeSide
Pvt. Arucardo
Pvt. D1rtn4p
Pvt. Red731
Pvt. Magilla
Pvt. Piratespwnninja
Pvt. Keikaku

ROBOTICS [DIVISION INACTIVE]
Op. Travelling Hobo

PILOTS [FULL]
Squadron Leader PBAlfredo - RAVEN-1
Flight Lt. Babeslayer - RAVEN-2
Flight Lt. Kreunt - [GROUNDED]
Flight Lt. Dakota47 - [GROUNDED]
Cpt. Bluey - SKYRANGER-1

SCIENCE TEAM
Dr. Billiechu – Head of Science Team
Dr. Pickles the Firecat – Intelligence [Decryption/Linguistics/Tactical Analysis]
Dr. BigJiantRobut – Weapons Technology [Reverse Engineering/Terrestrial Fabrications/Xenotechnological Armaments]
Dr. Slackbladder – Xenology [Xenological Biology/Xenological Psychology/Autopsies]
Dr. Mindlog – Xenology Research Associate
Dr. Kriptikjoker – Applied Sciences [Vehicular Engineering/Quantum Gravitational Fields/Material Sciences]

ENGINEERING TEAM
Dr. Vlodril – Head of Engineering
Dr. Vek – Armaments Fabrication

OPERATIONS
Cpt. McNum – Central Operations Officer
Lt. Eidelon – Central Operations Assistant
Op. Corky – Logistics and Maintenance Officer

All applications are closed at the present time. All responses after this posting shall be ignored until such a time as Command determines that this policy shall be revised. Thank you for applying to the XCOM Project. Transfer requests are still being accepted.

Island

So GAF,

I have never played the original.
I like Civ games.
I like turn based strategy (Fallout 1/2 style and others).
I'm cool with RTS and base building.
I have lots of games in my backlog.

Should I Preorder this game? (I already own Civ 5), or should I wait for a Steam sale?

What say you GAF?

frontieruk

So GAF,

I like Civ games.

Should I Preorder this game? (I already own Civ 5), or should I wait for a Steam sale?

What say you GAF?

personally I think the guys in this thread are going to say wait for the steam sale and buy Dishonored instead but I am tagged...

Clevinger

So GAF,

I like Civ games.

What say you GAF?

Yes, get it. Sounds exactly like your type of game.

thy_

I don't see how it's any different to Civ, two civilisations with a joint agenda but separately controlled, time passes at the same rate for both civilisations.

So Xcom 2x bases, both with a joint agenda to protect the earth but controlled separately, so as described as objectives, each player can attack a UFO and play apart the client (as we all no it'll be p2p) just reports back the result of the mission, losses/kills etc when the mission is over.

I assume your complaint is over the time elapsed in the base/geoscape? In the original the clock stopped in mission which would mean the times between players would get out of sync? that's a simple case of the client/server recording the geoscape time when the mission starts, the server/client can then query the other party to see who is further on in time at the end of the mission and bringing them up to that date, increasing their research/etc accordingly sure it's not perfect, but if time in the geoscape is set as a constant ie 5min intervals it's not really going to hurt anyone.

While it is possible to team up in Civ Multiplayer, at its core it is about multiple equal factions with opposing agendas, making it is easy to exchange a AI controlled faction with a player controlled one without having to adapt the gameplay.

X-Com has two opposing factions that work fundamentally different. You will have to make big changes to how at least one of these factions works to get any kind of multiplayer (cooperative or competitive) balanced.

What I could see possibly work is a more asynchronous approach. Give every player responsibility for a part of the world, with their own base and satellite coverage. Everyone is able to play for a month (or whatever) in in-game time and after that time players are able to trade combat troops, material or personnel with each other. Only after everyone has played the current month are you able to start the next month, but the other players don't necessarily have to be online while you are playing yourself.
Every player would have his own scientist, but the results of research would be available to everyone. (Multiple bases researching the same technology could speed up the process, but every base would still need the research material.)
Bases would be funded by their own part of the world, but to beat back the invasion for good you would need as many bases up and running as possible.
So there would be incentives to work together and to make unfavorable trades to assure the survival of mankind.

Just imagine "lending" one of your favorite veterans to an ailing friend, only for him to send him back to you in a coffin.

JoeBoy101

So GAF,

I like Civ games.

What say you GAF?

This sounds right up your alley. Plus, you can give a free Civ 5 to a friend and feel good about your generosity.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can't stand the wait, this is driving me nuts.

Scientists should be studying this time dilation effect whereby the closer it gets to XCOM coming out, the slower time moves.

Top Bottom