• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

I really wish the game was unlocking at midnight PST instead of 9:30 AM tomorrow ;A; I'd be so down for an all nighter.

I don't see how staying up all night playing a video game is a good thing. School, work. Then again, I don't understand why people take the day off work or cut school for these things.

Nocebo

I don't see how staying up all night playing a video game is a good thing. School, work. Then again, I don't understand why people take the day off work or cut school for these things.
I think it's because some people are not emotionless robot drones. I could be wrong, though.

Could someone clarify when this will unlock on steam.

Will it unlock at 0000 hours on Tuesday or 0930 like some people have been suggesting ?

Is this also true for New Zealand hoping a VPN will let me unlock early.

ShaneB

Trying to stick to the budget I set for entertainment purposes for the year. Its pretty tough, but I need to stick to it. I look forward to watching somebody's stream while I wait.

Trying my best to stick to some sort of budget as well :( Know everyone is going to have a blast with this during launch week... but I will wait until a holiday sale later on. ( or that is the plan..)

McNum

I'm sure they'll be others to take on people in their squads... McNum I'm looking at you...
I'm going to let Jintor get first stab at it, he's actually played the game. I'm still waiting for Friday. I have a few screenshot/image hosting/possibly video concerns to worry about before setting something up. I mean if Jintor does the big comprehensive one, I have to do something different.
Sorry, I am green to the series... Thought it would've been cool to have surviving members from the first playthrough to continue on.
Well, actually... The demo has been, frankly, hacked to pieces. One interesting thing they found was
a "Second Wave" advanced options menu, allowing you to change some pretty major parts of the game around.

Of course, if that becomes available after beating the game, or if it's DLC is still to be determined.

Jintor

Is there a problem with just using free image hosting like imgur? I mean, I have my own domain but I don't know if I have the space really...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there a problem with just using free image hosting like imgur? I mean, I have my own domain but I don't know if I have the space really...

Not really. The only thing about imgur is that they auto compress your jps, iirc.

There are several suggested image hosts in the PC screenshots thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457378

2012screenshotthreadt1cvlp.png

• Picpar: Brought to you by none other than X3sphere, a simple and efficient image host.
  • Abload: Easy to use, doesn't compress jpegs further, auto-converts bmps to png nicely.
  • Minus: Great interface, love way to share albums of screens.
  • Skydrive: 25 gb of storage, easy to set up folders, slideshows, no picture size limit.
  • Flickr: Good stuff if you are a paid user. Otherwise you are stuck with some limitations and shouldn't really use it.

McNum

It's an issue of control, mostly. I used my Dropbox account for my original X-Com game, because, well, the entire thing is 10MB total. Judging from the demo, each screenshot is 150KB in the new game. Of course, I'd have to edit those, since it's impractical to use 1680x1050 images.

I'm not sure what happens to my images at Imgur and the like. TinyPic did the whole thing where pictures got replaced, which caused some issues here. I think it's banned now, actually. I have a free Photobucket account, but I'd need to go pro with that to host anything the scope of this.

Then there's video. No issues there, I believe. I got a Youtube account in good standing, and Firaxis seem fine with people streaming games, so that should be the easy part. Just need to find some program to record it with. Saying that, I bet it's going to be a nightmare of badly synced audio and DMCA takedowns if I try. On the other hand, the Game Hub on Steam accepts Youtube links, so... Yeah, it'll take a little to unravel if I can do that or not. I'm just a tiny bit Copyright paranoid when it comes to posting things like that. I was even a little worried about the original LP I did.

But I'm still bouncing around ideas. Which is why I'm glad you're going first. I can see what works and what I'd do different with yours and make something unique with mine. There's a crazy voice in the back of my head yelling "Do it comic book style!" I'm not even sure what to say to that. The Glam Cam does offer some neat angles for something like that.

Nocebo

... going to school and learning or going to work and getting paid are being emotionless and a drone?

I honestly don't know how to respond to that.
You don't know how to respond? Is that because your response algorithms keep resulting in a stack-overflow exception when processing my post? lol
Seriously though, what's so hard to understand about humans getting excited about a game to such a degree that they want to play it as soon as possible and are willing to take a day(s) off for it?

Maybe I don't have to go to work tomorrow, shock horror. I didn't even have to take time off!

Also, I'm excited to play a new XCOM.

5 hours in. Love the combat in the game and how every move matters. Game is extremely difficult even on Normal IMO. Graphics are good, music is even better. A lot of game systems/UI going on but game does a good job explaining everything. Out of mission stuff is as good as combat.

Ketch

Think i'm gonna play on Normal w/iron man... I would say normal and just tell myself not to reload, but I know I'm not strong willed enough.

red731

Think i'm gonna play on Normal w/iron man... I would say normal and just tell myself not to reload, but I know I'm not strong willed enough.

I will do normal ironman too. I can learn from my faults when my squad gets wiped. If. Hopefuly not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not really. The only thing about imgur is that they auto compress your jps, iirc.

There are several suggested image hosts in the PC screenshots thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457378

Imgur, presumably in a misguided attempt to push people towards paying for an account, has become increasingly worse in this regard -- I uploaded a 330KB JPG yesterday only to find it horribly compressed. If it weren't for my having the Firefox plug-in installed, I wouldn't use Imgur at all.

Edit: Bloody hell, forgot to switch tabs again. That's twice today!

Seriously though, what's so hard to understand about humans getting excited about a game to such a degree that they want to play it as soon as possible and are willing to take a day(s) off for it?

Nothing.

Except that they shouldn't. It's an unproductive part of an otherwise worthwhile passtime.

Whenever my family hears me talk about bad gaming habits, they always get confused. Aren't I a gamer?

Nothing.

Except that they shouldn't. It's an unproductive part of an otherwise worthwhile passtime.

Whenever my family hears me talk about bad gaming habits, they always get confused. Aren't I a gamer?

I've never done this, but who are you to pass judgement on how people use their time off? I don't see anything wrong with taking a day off to do something you enjoy.

For somebody who never played the original XCOM, but watched his college friend play it for hours and saw his squads brutally murdered time and time again, what difficulty should I start on? I was thinking Classic, not Iron Man. Yay or nay?

The elite soldier pre-order pack says it comes with:

"Complete Colour Customisation - A variety of colours and tints for all armour sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look."

Does this mean the ability to colour armour is only available as a pre-order bonus?

The elite soldier pre-order pack says it comes with:

"Complete Colour Customisation - A variety of colours and tints for all armour sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look."

Does this mean the ability to colour armour is only available as a pre-order bonus?

It'll most likely be DLC.

Nocebo

For somebody who never played the original XCOM, but watched his college friend play it for hours and saw his squads brutally murdered time and time again, what difficulty should I start on? I was thinking Classic, not Iron Man. Yay or nay?
Iron man is not a difficulty perse, though you can get into a state where you can no longer win much sooner since you only have one save that's automatically written over.
Difficulty level wise it depends on what your goal is, I think. Do you want to finish the game? Do you want a challenge? Classic is going to be very unforgiving. If you have no problems with starting over several times I say go ahead.
If you hate losing and just want to finish the game then go with normal. Personally I'm going with classic difficulty and ironman mode because I don't care if I finish the game or not. Plus from what I read about Classic it's where the proper game begins. You don't get any hand-outs when you start the game (like certain base facilities etc.) and the aliens don't go easy on you.
The reason why I don't go for impossible right away is because I don't like to play against a AI opponent that feels like it's obviously cheating/gets a giant bonus to things.

Have you read this yet?

frontieruk

PRELIMINARY XCOM STAFFING ROSTER [REVISED - FINAL APPROVAL PENDING]
[*] This document is subject to change as verified information is released for internal dissemination.

[*] As per standard security arrangements, all personnel are referred to via their pre-assigned callsigns. Refer to Document X-F501 for further information.

CONTACT TEAM ALPHA
Pvt. Mupod
Pvt. UnknownSoldier
Pvt. Frontieruk
Pvt. Thy

WAITLIST
Pvt. Deraldin
Pvt. Lorebringer
Pvt. Fin
Pvt. Rentahamster
Pvt. The Wizard
Pvt. Tu101uk
Pvt. Spirit Of Jazz
Pvt. Luigi87
Pvt. Sober
Pvt. Keikaku
Pvt. Porkwing
Pvt. Alboreo
Pvt. Admiral Snackbar
Pvt. Grimsen
Pvt. Calder
Pvt. Azure
Pvt. Khatoz
Pvt. PBAlfredo
Pvt. Epmode
Pvt. Atilac
Pvt. Electricpirate
Pvt. Miletius
Pvt. Pixelhorror
Pvt. Clevinger
Pvt. Protein
Pvt. Reluctant-Hero
Pvt. FreakNamedPete
Pvt. Gav47
Pvt. Spudbud
Pvt. Acksman
Pvt. FtHTiny
Pvt. Patapuf
Pvt. Kami_Sama
Pvt. Sotha Sil
Pvt. Echothreealpha
Pvt. DerFeef
Pvt. Gibon3z
Pvt. Dmax3901
Pvt. Palmer_v1
Pvt. Orgun
Pvt. Raphier
Pvt. Joeboy101
Pvt. PsychoWARD23
Pvt. Cirekiller
Pvt. A_Secret_Boss
Pvt. IamMikeSide
Pvt. Arucardo
Pvt. D1rtn4p
Pvt. Red731
Pvt. Whalleywhat
Pvt. Magilla
Pvt. Piratespwnninja

ROBOTICS [DIVISION INACTIVE]
Op. KO Travelling Hobo

PILOTS [FULL]
Squadron Leader PBAlfredo - RAVEN-1
Flight Lt. Babeslayer - RAVEN-2
Flight Lt. Kreunt - [GROUNDED]
Flight Lt. Dakota47 - [GROUNDED]
Cpt. Bluey - SKYRANGER-1

SCIENCE TEAM
Dr. Billiechu – Head of Science Team
Dr. Pickles the Firecat – Intelligence [Decryption/Linguistics/Tactical Analysis]
Dr. BigJiantRobut – Weapons Technology [Reverse Engineering/Terrestrial Fabrications/Xenotechnological Armaments]
Dr. Slackbladder – Xenology [Xenological Biology/Xenological Psychology/Autopsies]
Dr. Mindlog – Xenology Research Associate
Dr. Kriptikjoker – Applied Sciences [Vehicular Engineering/Quantum Gravitational Fields/Material Sciences]

ENGINEERING TEAM
Dr. Vlodril – Head of Engineering
Dr. Vek – Armaments Fabrication

OPERATIONS
Cpt. McNum – Central Operations Advisor
Lt. Eidelon – Central Operations Officer
Lt. Corky – Logistics and Maintenance Officer

All applications are closed at the present time. All responses after this posting shall be ignored until such a time as Command determines that this policy shall be revised. Thank you for applying to the XCOM Project. Transfer requests are still being accepted.

I'd just like to say if I panic and shoot and kill Pvt. UnknownSoldier, it has nothing to do with appearences in the WP7 thread no siree... it's just an unfortunate coincidence...

And no reviews yet BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I obviously should go back to bed and forget about this going to work malarkey.

Iron man is not a difficulty perse, though you can get into a state where you can no longer win much sooner since you only have one save that's automatically written over.
Difficulty level wise it depends on what your goal is, I think. Do you want to finish the game? Do you want a challenge? Classic is going to be very unforgiving. If you have no problems with starting over several times I say go ahead.
If you hate losing and just want to finish the game then go with normal. Personally I'm going with classic difficulty and ironman mode because I don't care if I finish the game or not. Plus from what I read about Classic it's where the proper game begins. You don't get any hand-outs when you start the game (like certain base facilities etc.) and the aliens don't go easy on you.
The reason why I don't go for impossible right away is because I don't like to play against a AI opponent that feels like it's obviously cheating/gets a giant bonus to things.

Have you read this yet?

I remember the devs saying that this was exactly not the case. As in, the AI doesn't suddenly know where all your units are on higher difficulties.

Nocebo

I remember the devs saying that this was exactly not the case. As in, the AI doesn't suddenly know where all your units are on higher difficulties.
I know but there are games where that happens. However from what I gather about impossible difficulty is that the enemies get such a high bonus to their stats like hp and crit chance (which is also a kind of cheat) or whatever that you can lose or win based on luck rather than tactical decisions. It also sounds like it would become much more of a chore than anything else. So classic seems like the most fun.

patapuf

I know but there are games where that happens. However from what I gather about impossible difficulty is that the enemies get such a high bonus to their stats like hp and crit chance (which is also a kind of cheat) or whatever that you can lose or win based on luck rather than tactical decisions. It also sounds like it would become much more of a chore than anything else. So classic seem like that most fun.

enemies getting higher stats on higher difficulties is pretty common in video games. There's also some thought that went into the process (like thin men getting +1 hp so you can't kill them with only one grenade and have to use a different tactic). While there are more and stronger enemies on higher difficulties the AI doesn't cheat.

Also, while xcom is a strategy game luck does play a factor, on any difficulty.

From what i read impossible isn't designed to be winnable anyway. They mentioned nobody on the dev team managed to do it.

KPJZKC

The ability to colour armour sounds like something that should be available in the game in the first place.

Not certain I agree, colouring armour seems like an after-thoughty gimmick. This is XCOM/X-COM, not Power Rangers...

(were it something bigger locked out - like soldier customisation entirely, or actual content/gameplay, then I'd be annoyed also, even if I have pre-ordered)

I know but there are games where that happens. However from what I gather about impossible difficulty is that the enemies get such a high bonus to their stats like hp and crit chance (which is also a kind of cheat) or whatever that you can lose or win based on luck rather than tactical decisions. It also sounds like it would become much more of a chore than anything else. So classic seems like the most fun.

Yeah, I just wanted to clear it up. I'll play Classic as well. Haven't decided whether I'll do Ironman as well.

enemies getting higher stats on higher difficulties is pretty common in video games. There's also some thought that went into the process (like thin men getting +1 hp so you can't kill them with only one grenade and have to use a different tactic). While there are more and stronger enemies on higher difficulties the AI doesn't cheat.

From what i read impossible isn't designed to be winnable anyway. They mentioned nobody on the dev team managed to do it.

Impossible Ironman.

Nocebo

Yes, I know enemies getting extra HP or whatever if common. But on impossible it's to a ridiculous degree while on classic it's still fair and as you say changes the meta of the game slightly such as to require you to play more tactically.
However an enemy getting triple his HP for example doesn't feel like a challenge, it feels like a cheat.
What I'm saying is because impossible has the stats increased to such a degree the luck factor get multiplied exponentially. And actually impossible was beaten by one of their devs and someone in the industry they know.

Nocebo

He wasn't on the dev team, IIRC.
One QA guy internally and one guy from 2k.

How many Impossible playthroughs actually got completed during development?

Well in terms of getting beaten, we had two. There was one guy in QA because we were like, you have to prove that this is possible because we give out an achievement for beating the game on Impossible and we were like, look we have to prove this otherwise Microsoft and Sony are going to be like, “Hey, a------, is this even possible?” So we actually had a QA guy go through and beat it. Then I had this great guy who works for 2K and his name is Doug and he’s like a pro-level Street Fighter. He’s a straight-up gamer, he not only beat it on Impossible but he beat the
alien base
on Impossible Ironman, which if somebody had told me that I would’ve said that that’s not even possible.

patapuf

Yes, I know enemies getting extra HP or whatever if common. But on impossible it's to a ridiculous degree while on classic it's still fair and as you say changes the meta of the game slightly such as to require you to play more tactically.
However an enemy getting triple his HP for example doesn't feel like a challenge, it feels like a cheat.
What I'm saying is because impossible has the stats increased to such a degree the luck factor get multiplied exponentially. And actually impossible was beaten by one of their devs and someone in the industry they know.

ah cool. I certainly agree that impossible is for masochist. I think that's a good thing :p

Zeliard

Impossible isn't balanced, nor is it meant to be. They just boosted values without the tactical consideration they gave to Classic mode when doing so. Jake Solomon likened Impossible to an endurance run.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...en-match-for-its-creator.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

How many Impossible playthroughs actually got completed during development?

Well in terms of getting beaten, we had two. There was one guy in QA because we were like, you have to prove that this is possible because we give out an achievement for beating the game on Impossible and we were like, look we have to prove this otherwise Microsoft and Sony are going to be like, “Hey, a------, is this even possible?” So we actually had a QA guy go through and beat it. Then I had this great guy who works for 2K and his name is Doug and he’s like a pro-level Street Fighter. He’s a straight-up gamer, he not only beat it on Impossible but he beat the alien base on Impossible Ironman, which if somebody had told me that I would’ve said that that’s not even possible. He actually ended up losing the game, so he beat it on Impossible then he tried to beat Iron Man Impossible and he actually got past the alien base but then after that he ran into a map where he lost everybody and he was like, “Well that’s it, I’ve lost.” On Impossible if you don’t have veterans you’re just going to get slaughtered. So Impossible we know it can be done because we have two victories but I make no claim to your sanity by the time you beat the game on that mode.

QA and some 2k guy. No devs. (eh, I guess if you consider QA part of the whole dev "team", then sure)

Top Bottom