• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

frontieruk

Is XCOM like that Ghost Recon game on the 3DS?

from the eurogamer review of the 3ds GR

Eurogamer said:
Despite its tactical flourishes, the single-player runs out of most of its fresh ideas too early in the campaign, while the license, with its stoic US heroes and canny Russian baddies, means the developers (and this is hardly their fault) don't have too much leeway to add the kind of character, atmosphere or flair you could expect from an X-Com or an Advance Wars.

hope that helps

Tu101uk

Is XCOM like that Ghost Recon game on the 3DS?
The creative director for Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Julien Gollop, co-created the original X-COM game, so there are similarities between the design philosophies (though he isn't involved with the Firaxis remake). Of course, in XCOM, you take on aliens and build up your base, as opposed to the special forces theme of Ghost Recon 3DS.

He was going to make the spiritual successor to the original series, funnily enough, but, as the way things go with these things, it got cancelled. He even likened it to Valkyria Chronicles in terms of gameplay in this interview he gave last year, which is always a nice read methinks.

Jintor

If you posted before the cutoff you will be added to the waitlist; applications are currently being re-reviewed. Application posted after cutoff are not bring accepted at this time. Thank you for your consideration.

frontieruk

If you posted before the cutoff you will be added to the waitlist; applications are currently being re-reviewed. Application posted after cutoff are not bring accepted at this time. Thank you for your consideration.

I have an offer in writing, thus I expect a glorious, yet stupid, meaningless death ;)

tbh my slot will be free very quickly if past experiences are anything to go by...

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the game is confirmed to unlock on Steam at 12am EST!

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion - on the 9th, as most games unlock at 12 PST/3amEST

This game will unlock 9pm PST for those luck west coasters

~Kinggi~

Banned
Any word on how the console versions are turning out on this? 9.5 from gameinformer would lead me to believe they did pretty damn good.

Mupod

Any word on how the console versions are turning out on this? 9.5 from gameinformer would lead me to believe they did pretty damn good.

Based on the stream I watched last night the 360 version is very good, control scheme is fine and loadtimes short. Little bit of UE3 popin compared to PC, I guess. Have not seen the PS3 version at all.

graywolf323

I can't stand the wait, this is driving me nuts.

Scientists should be studying this time dilation effect whereby the closer it gets to XCOM coming out, the slower time moves.

just over 27 hours to go

Steam still says 1 day, 4 hours for me in Texas. Where was it confirmed?

Steam has never had a minute mark on the unlock countdowns that I can recall, so it should update to say 1 day 3 hours at 9pm eastern

Are you sure it's not tomorrow at midnight? I don't have a key yet, I only say that because that is when Amazon has it listed.

I think he meant 12am eastern (it's actually EDT still anyways)

This experiment was a little like standing in front of a random door in Moscow, circa 1975, and a line forming behind you for no reason

To be honest, I have no idea what I signed up for. I'm assuming my user name will be ascribed to one of the characters in a game. Please correct me if I am wrong.

But, if it keeps the conversation about the game going (and thereby increasing interest in it) I am all for it. I really want this game to succeed, so they can build on its success and iterate with sequels and dlc.

Mindlog

This experiment was a little like standing in front of a random door in Moscow, circa 1975, and a line forming behind you for no reason
I thought this was the line for alien corpse diddling.

They traveled many light years to fuck up our planet.
I'm going to return the favor.

-Dr. Mindlog

Ken

The creative director for Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Julien Gollop, co-created the original X-COM game, so there are similarities between the design philosophies (though he isn't involved with the Firaxis remake). Of course, in XCOM, you take on aliens and build up your base, as opposed to the special forces theme of Ghost Recon 3DS.

He was going to make the spiritual successor to the original series, funnily enough, but, as the way things go with these things, it got cancelled. He even likened it to Valkyria Chronicles in terms of gameplay in this interview he gave last year, which is always a nice read methinks.

Oh man I think I need this game now.

Tu101uk

Gollop isn't involved with this game. I think he's talking about a cancelled project.
Well, I did say that in the paragraph previous to it... XD

Oh man I think I need this game now.
When I first played Valkyria Chronicles a few years, I immediately thought that an X-COM-style game with its battle system would be rad. Funny how things turn out.

This new XCOM isn't exactly like that, per se, but it has similarities ("move + action" turn-based system, cover system, throwing grenades at an arc, class and skill system for your soldiers, etc.) and, like VC, you do grow attached to your squad. Heck, you even have a memorial with the names of the brave dead.

Like anything, I recommend watching a couple of videos and, if you can, play the PC demo before jumping right in.

PS - Reviews? The embargo ends soonish, no? Monday or something like that...

Tu101uk

Tomorrow. And X-Com is way better than VC anyways.
Hey now, no need to go that far... XD Valkyria Chronicles (the first one anyway) is a great game, one of my personal favourites this generation. Methinks it says a lot about it when the original creator of X-COM gives it a mention (along with other tactical JRPGs) in the article.

Hey now, no need to go that far... XD Valkyria Chronicles (the first one anyway) is a great game, one of my personal favourites this generation. Methinks it says a lot about it when the original creator of X-COM gives it a mention (along with other tactical JRPGs) in the article.

I think it's got a lot going for it, but it's largely pretty broken as an SRPG. If someone like Gollop wanted to take that basic concept (hybrid tactics/third-person/shooting) and run with it, I'd definitely be interested.

Jintor

PRELIMINARY XCOM STAFFING ROSTER [REVISED - FINAL APPROVAL PENDING]
[*] This document is subject to change as verified information is released for internal dissemination.

[*] As per standard security arrangements, all personnel are referred to via their pre-assigned callsigns. Refer to Document X-F501 for further information.

CONTACT TEAM ALPHA
Pvt. Mupod
Pvt. UnknownSoldier
Pvt. Frontieruk
Pvt. Thy

WAITLIST
Pvt. Deraldin
Pvt. Lorebringer
Pvt. Fin
Pvt. Rentahamster
Pvt. The Wizard
Pvt. Tu101uk
Pvt. Spirit Of Jazz
Pvt. Luigi87
Pvt. Sober
Pvt. Keikaku
Pvt. Porkwing
Pvt. Alboreo
Pvt. Admiral Snackbar
Pvt. Grimsen
Pvt. Calder
Pvt. Azure
Pvt. Khatoz
Pvt. PBAlfredo
Pvt. Epmode
Pvt. Atilac
Pvt. Electricpirate
Pvt. Miletius
Pvt. Pixelhorror
Pvt. Clevinger
Pvt. Protein
Pvt. Reluctant-Hero
Pvt. FreakNamedPete
Pvt. Gav47
Pvt. Spudbud
Pvt. Acksman
Pvt. FtHTiny
Pvt. Patapuf
Pvt. Kami_Sama
Pvt. Sotha Sil
Pvt. Echothreealpha
Pvt. DerFeef
Pvt. Gibon3z
Pvt. Dmax3901
Pvt. Palmer_v1
Pvt. Orgun
Pvt. Raphier
Pvt. Joeboy101
Pvt. PsychoWARD23
Pvt. Cirekiller
Pvt. A_Secret_Boss
Pvt. IamMikeSide
Pvt. Arucardo
Pvt. D1rtn4p
Pvt. Red731
Pvt. Whalleywhat
Pvt. Magilla
Pvt. Piratespwnninja

ROBOTICS [DIVISION INACTIVE]
Op. KO Travelling Hobo

PILOTS [FULL]
Squadron Leader PBAlfredo - RAVEN-1
Flight Lt. Babeslayer - RAVEN-2
Flight Lt. Kreunt - [GROUNDED]
Flight Lt. Dakota47 - [GROUNDED]
Cpt. Bluey - SKYRANGER-1

SCIENCE TEAM
Dr. Billiechu – Head of Science Team
Dr. Pickles the Firecat – Intelligence [Decryption/Linguistics/Tactical Analysis]
Dr. BigJiantRobut – Weapons Technology [Reverse Engineering/Terrestrial Fabrications/Xenotechnological Armaments]
Dr. Slackbladder – Xenology [Xenological Biology/Xenological Psychology/Autopsies]
Dr. Mindlog – Xenology Research Associate
Dr. Kriptikjoker – Applied Sciences [Vehicular Engineering/Quantum Gravitational Fields/Material Sciences]

ENGINEERING TEAM
Dr. Vlodril – Head of Engineering
Dr. Vek – Armaments Fabrication

OPERATIONS
Cpt. McNum – Central Operations Advisor
Lt. Eidelon – Central Operations Officer
Lt. Corky – Logistics and Maintenance Officer

All applications are closed at the present time. All responses after this posting shall be ignored until such a time as Command determines that this policy shall be revised. Thank you for applying to the XCOM Project. Transfer requests are still being accepted.

inky

Is that like a list of names for our c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶d̶d̶e̶r̶ soldiers, or are you guys making a MP group?

Edit: nvm, I see now.

Jintor

If you have requested assignment before cutoff but aren't on the list, please link the relevant post.

Alternatively, if you're still looking to be invited into the Steam group GAFCOM, relink your steam ID. And I mean link it - I don't want to go digging around in Steam's search thing, it's too easy to get the wrong people.

If you have requested assignment before cutoff but aren't on the list, please link the relevant post.

Alternatively, if you're still looking to be invited into the Steam group GAFCOM, relink your steam ID. And I mean link it - I don't want to go digging around in Steam's search thing, it's too easy to get the wrong people.

Love it that I am captain of Skyranger 1. Thanks Jintor!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fucking hell this game is godlike. It is also engaging for a group. Me and my friends are at my store, and we gave been playing as a group.

Keikaku

I can take some of the excess personnel off your hands and give them a spot on my roster. God only knows that I could do with some dedicated meat shisoldiers to fight the good fight.

hitmon

The more I see and hear about this game, the more I want it. Unfortunately I have to wait. Anyone know how long the SP campaign lasts?

Top Bottom