• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Nocebo

How many modes are there? What is the difference between the "normal" and classic mode?
Normal and Classic are difficulty levels:
There is easy, normal, classic and impossible. Ironman is separate from that and can be combined with any difficulty.
For some info on what the difference in difficulty entail you can read this:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...an-mode-is-an-even-match-for-its-creator.aspx

Perhaps a more detailed explanation for the difficulty and gameplay modes needs to be add to the FAQ in the OP because it gets asked about rather frequently.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Cool, thanks. Think ill steer clear of ironman mode in my first play through then

I mulled back and forth on that myself and I've finally decided to go Classic Ironman on my first playthrough based on a couple of things :

- I'm in no rush to finish this game
- Going ironman will make my decisions matter more than in any other game with their arbitrary, often binary, morality/decision systems
- The sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in overcoming difficult games will be extremely rewarding ( for me )
- All of the above combined will make me much more invested, something I rarely am in new games nowadays, in the game.

Soldiers will die, countries will fall, but as god is my witness my squad will prevail.

Dakota47

The RPS review is in.

This isn’t a matter of a starving man grateful for the slimmest of pickings. XCOM is a bounteous strategy/roleplaying feast, and I’m not particularly dismayed that a couple of the side-dishes taste a bit suspect. It’s a triumph that XCOM even exists, so that it’s also bloody brilliant and thoroughly modern with it excites me to introverted core. X-COM’s tiny, precious world has seen many unwelcome invaders over the years, but trust me – this one comes in peace.

EDIT And Eurogamer 9/10

This game is a winner. So much craft has gone into its atmosphere, into innumerable small details that together add enormous depth and flavour to the world: the occasional conversations overheard while fiddling around in the base; the mission loading screen, which gives you a view of the troops inside the carrier, fidgeting and tapping their feet in transit; the ridiculously cute touch of soldiers acquiring nicknames like 'Longshot' or 'Odin' after a few missions; the memorial room for fallen warriors, with a cork board of photos on the wall, which records their names - and the fact that visiting it triggers, after a few seconds, the sound of a bagpipe march.
Near the campaign's end, there's a direct tribute to the original game's designers, the Gollop brothers, accompanied by an achievement called 'On the Shoulders of Giants'. It's a beautiful touch, a nod from one development team to another across the generations. They have something in common now. In their own time and place, each made a fantastic game called XCOM.

Lord Phol

Normal and Classic are difficulty levels:
There is easy, normal, classic and impossible. Ironman is separate from that and can be combined with any difficulty.
For some info on what the difference in difficulty entail you can read this:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...an-mode-is-an-even-match-for-its-creator.aspx

Perhaps a more detailed explanation for the difficulty and gameplay modes needs to be add to the FAQ in the OP because it gets asked about rather frequently.

Hmm, sounds like normal ironman might be for me. I would do Classic but I don't like having SHIVS being a must have instead of an option. Maybe there's a way to not focus on them too much and still do okey in classic.

Jintor

hahahaha

holy shit, less than 8 minutes into the QL and Ryan clusters three dudes behind a log, reveals a cyberdisc on his last move which throws an alien grenade and gets all three guys and destroys his cover

and then 3 mutons stroll out of the fog

Minsc

Gold Member
hahahaha

holy shit, less than 8 minutes into the QL and Ryan clusters three dudes behind a log, reveals a cyberdisc on his last move which throws an alien grenade and gets all three guys and destroys his cover

and then 3 mutons stroll out of the fog

This is X-Com alright!

Mikeside

Great reviews are just making it all the harder to wait until Friday.

I hope this game sells, because it really deserves to.

Corky

If a squadmember is mortally wounded at the end of an encounter does he count as dead?

edit : a successful encounter that is, i.e the player kills all the aliens

Realyn

Quick question, since reviews are out there.

How challenging will the game be? For example I really love Civ 4/5, but the AI ... yeah, is pretty meh. Once you have figured it out even the highest diff is no challenge anymore.
Then there are games like Dragon Age 2 who are just unfair/frustating on the hightest diff, letting enemies oneshot you and so on.

thanks in advance!

patapuf

Quick question, since reviews are out there.

How challenging will the game be? For example I really love Civ 4/5, but the AI ... yeah, is pretty meh. Once you have figured it out even the highest diff is no challenge anymore.
Then there are games like Dragon Age 2 who are just unfair/frustating on the hightest diff, letting enemies oneshot you and so on.

thanks in advance!

classic is hard but fair

impossible lives up to it's name

you also have the ironman modifier that prevents you from reloading.

Hambone

As a XCOM noob (never played the original until this year) I think it may be in my best interest to just play a normal game. Ironman sounds awesome, but could ultimately prove to be frustrating.

Realyn

classic is hard but fair

impossible lives up to it's name

you also have the ironman modifier that prevents you from reloading.
That's cool about reloading. I allways facepalmed about the people on civfanatics saying how easy the game is, while they reload if the don't like the map layout or smth like that.

McNum

As a XCOM noob (never played the original until this year) I think it may be in my best interest to just play a normal game. Ironman sounds awesome, but could ultimately prove to be frustrating.
That's what I would suggest. Start off on Normal without Ironman. Classic and Ironman modes are for later. Once you at least have an idea of what you're doing.

EDIT: And "WHOA!" at those reviews. Almost a clean sweep of 9s? That won't make the wait until Friday any shorter...

Tu101uk

There's no rush, XCOM series has always been about replayability - just do Ironman mode in a later playthrough, that's how I'm (probably) gonna approach it...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Oh no, I had 3 guys clustered together behind a log and all of them ate a grenade. What do I do next turn? Cluster 3 guys behind another log.

giantbomb moment. :)

Corky

Wow, those giantbomb guys are pretty bad. haha

Still turned it around somehow... my gut says 'normal' or 'easy'.

fakeedit :yeah those thin men only had 3 hp I think? On classic they have 4.

patapuf

Maybe 3 weeks until Classic / Impossible are nerfed (I hope not!).

nah, i doubt it. Normal is there for the people that don't want too much frustration and the devs love the game enough to not screw with the classic mode.

If there's an achievment for beating impossible there will be some whiners i'm sure :p

Top Bottom