• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

garath

Oh man. Can't wait until tomorrow. Those reviews are incredible. So glad I pre-ordered.

That preload was huge. Also glad I started that on Friday. My connection usually tears through those but this one too quite awhile.

I'm probably starting Normal Ironman. No reloading to save a soldier for me.

Sotha Sil

I'm probably starting Normal Ironman. No reloading to save a soldier for me.

Same. I haven't played the original, so I won't go for the classic mode right away, but ironman sounds great.

Also, Corky mentioned a decision system; can you actually make moral choices in XCOM:EU? Great news if so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this might be an odd question, but how is this game for profanity? These days more and more games throw in the odd f-bomb for no apparant reason, but this is the kind of game that takes time, so I don't want to have to suddenly switch it off if one of my kids wanders past. Ideally its something I can play at the dining table while the kids are doing something else

Tu101uk

Same. I haven't played the original, so I won't go for the classic mode right away, but ironman sounds great.

Also, Corky mentioned a decision system; can you actually make moral choices in XCOM:EU? Great news if so.
Not really moral, but basically you make tactical and strategic decisions that affect the way the game pans out. For example, many of the missions force you to make a choice between two target countries. If you choose one, the panic rating of the other will go up. Things will escalate as you make these hard decisions. Oh, and you will lose soldiers and funding nations (probably).

As someone put it, "That's XCOM baby!"...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Well that depends on how you see it : it's not a case of A or B , kick the baby / pet the baby
but rather a game where your decisions have actual heavy gameplay implications, what you spec, what you buy, who you save, how you approach a mission, what you research, what you build, etc etc etc will all change your experience.

Sotha Sil

Not really moral, but basically you make tactical and strategic decisions that affect the way the game pans out. For example, many of the missions force you to make a choice between two target countries. If you choose one, the panic rating of the other will go up. Things will escalate as you make these hard decisions. Oh, and you will lose soldiers and funding nations (probably).

Ah, cool, I knew about this; good enough for me!

Well that depends on how you see it : it's not a case of A or B , kick the baby / pet the baby
but rather a game where your decisions have actual heavy gameplay implications, what you spec, what you buy, who you save, how you approach a mission, what you research, what you build, etc etc etc will all change your experience.

Cool, thanks!

McNum

"Moral" choices? No. It's all grey. Do I save London, Moscow or Tokyo from being blown up by aliens? Pick one. Only one. Sucks to be the other two, hope they don't get too mad. That's a choice, but it's not exactly moral.

Same goes with a lot of small choices like focusing your research, expanding satellite coverage, expanding your base and so on. You always have more to do than you have resources available, so choose. And choose well.

Jintor

this might be an odd question, but how is this game for profanity? These days more and more games throw in the odd f-bomb for no apparant reason, but this is the kind of game that takes time, so I don't want to have to suddenly switch it off if one of my kids wanders past. Ideally its something I can play at the dining table while the kids are doing something else

The most you'll get is a 'bastard!' during unit barks, which if you're Australian is practically like saying 'good morning'

Sotha Sil

"Moral" choices? No. It's all grey. Do I save London, Moscow or Tokyo from being blown up by aliens? Pick one. Only one. Sucks to be the other two, hope they don't get too mad. That's a choice, but it's not exactly moral.

Same goes with a lot of small choices like focusing your research, expanding satellite coverage, expanding your base and so on. You always have more to do than you have resources available, so choose. And choose well.

Thanks, sounds perfect!

garath

Also from the limited gameplay I've seen, you'll be faced with choices on the difficulty of missions to go on as well. i.e. you have 2 available, one difficult and one easy. Difficult better rewards of course but will you lose more people? Pretty cool.

patapuf

Also from the limited gameplay I've seen, you'll be faced with choices on the difficulty of missions to go on as well. i.e. you have 2 available, one difficult and one easy. Difficult better rewards of course but will you lose more people? Pretty cool.

jep, risk/reward is a pretty big element of xcom, strategically and tactically

Sullen

If you ordered off GMG and have already fully pre-loaded the game on steam are you supposed to get the copy of Civ V and the TF2 hats? Cause I haven't and I'm not sure how to if I am supposed to have them.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
If you ordered off GMG and have already fully pre-loaded the game on steam are you supposed to get the copy of Civ V and the TF2 hats? Cause I haven't and I'm not sure how to if I am supposed to have them.

No hats, but you should get Civ. When, I do not know.

Hargenx

I'm tempted to buy this on Xbox, I don't see how the graphics can get better or worst(I like it by the way), any advice?!

coldfoot

Banned
F.. you "no looking back" trophy!
I wonder if backing up your save to an USB stick and then copying it back can be used to "cheat" Ironman mode?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm tempted to buy this on Xbox, I don't see how the graphics can get better or worst(I like it by the way), any advice?!

Xbox or PS3 - Xbox or PC?

Probably won't make any difference between the two consoles. PC has better resolution and loading times, plus it will have mod support. And it's cheaper.

GeoGonzo

I'm already making tough calls thanks to this game:

I moved to a new home last week and won't have internet access till the end of the month, so I simply used my cellphone's unlimited data plan to preload the game. Now I'll have to endure throttled bandwith for a month, but I had to do it. I had to.

garath

No, you only get those if you preorder directly from Steam. It's a retailer specific preorder bonus. Adding the key from GMG is like buying it from the store and adding it to steam. If you preorder from steam you get Civ V immediately in your inventory.

jaask

No, you only get those if you preorder directly from Steam. It's a retailer specific preorder bonus. Adding the key from GMG is like buying it from the store and adding it to steam. If you preorder from steam you get Civ V immediately in your inventory.
You'll get Civ V from GMG on the release day of XCOM.

Source: GMG Blog

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just watching the Giantbomb quick look. Game looks to work pretty nicely with a controller. Is there a clear benefit to the PC other than graphics? i.e is mouse better. Does the PC also have controller support?

also in the quicklook, they're pressing buttons to go into overwatch mode. Is there an option to automatically be in overwatch mode if you have enough action points left? Seems unnecessary to have to initiate it manually

Tu101uk

just watching the Giantbomb quick look. Game looks to work pretty nicely with a controller. Is there a clear benefit to the PC other than graphics? i.e is mouse better, or does the PC also have controller support?
PC version has full controller support. Couple that with Steam's built-in TV view thingy and I'll be sitting back on my bed playing comfortably as much as I'll be sitting in front of a computer screen and clicking stuff (heck, some people have even said that the PC controls can be a bit finicky).

It'll depend on my mood... ;)

just watching the Giantbomb quick look. Game looks to work pretty nicely with a controller. Is there a clear benefit to the PC other than graphics? i.e is mouse better. Does the PC also have controller support?

Yes, PC has controller support. It actually goes to the Xbox UI as well, with button press/etc shown on the screen.

Benefit to PC is high res textures and load times. Everything else is the same.

Enjoy.

SparkTR

Mods and visuals mostly, and more controls options (KB/M, 360 controller, PS3 controller)

marjo

My second game will be classic/ironman.

I'm debating between normal/ironman or classic/non-ironman for my first game.

Nocebo

also in the quicklook, they're pressing buttons to go into overwatch mode. Is there an option to automatically be in overwatch mode if you have enough action points left? Seems unnecessary to have to initiate it manually
What if you want to hunker down instead?
So what will classic difficulty be like? I haven't played the original so i don't know how hard that was.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...en-match-for-its-creator.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

My biggest problem with Normal gameplay is that the AI changes drastically. It will intentionally hang enemies back and apparently, you will even see enemies run away and hang out in the back waiting for their comrades to die.

I want aliens to treat my XCOM unit for what they are- a resistance force that needs to be quelled. Bring the heat.

Ironman Classic.

Tu101uk

I'm leaning to go Classic on my first playthrough methinks (non-Ironman though, I'm a bit of a wuss). I don't like the idea of being given things right off the bat (like the Officer Training upgrade, for example). At least with Classic difficulty, I'll really start off with the barebones...

Cheech

Cool! Looks like it comes from GMG though, not steam. That's excellent news for GMG pre-orders.

Right, you get the Civ V AND $10 credit "within 24 hours of launch". I'm assuming this is due to them not having the ability to rescind the key once the game goes live. In other words, after midnight tonight, the shit is yours!

I've got that bug where I want to double dip - I've pre-ordered on PC but can get the Xbox version after work today and have glorious hours playing tonight! AHH I'm out of control.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm leaning towards going Classic too on my 1st time even though I'm not great at strategy games. I think me clearing the demo without getting anyone killed gave me some bigger balls.

Top Bottom