• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

McNum

I'm leaning towards going Classic too on my 1st time even though I'm not great at strategy games. I think me clearing the demo without getting anyone killed gave me some bigger balls.
The demo is on Easy and it's a scripted mission. Just something to think about.

McNum

DON'T RUIN MY BUZZ! I'm still going to give it a shot. What's the worse that can happen? I get everyone murdered and make every country angry and fail? Pffft.
Losing horribly is a big part of the XCOM experience. Games that actually allow you to fail are a rarity these days.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bought from GMG. steam telling me it'll take 30 mins to download, which is pointless considering i cant play it until friday :/

XCOM will be my first strategy game, and I'd like to make a list of PS3 XCOM players so we can get a few matches organised. PM me if you're interested :)

I'm thinking something like

Gaf name----------------PSN name-----------------Skill (Great, good, average, poor, newbie)

The_Hitcher89------The_Hitcher89------Newbie

AwRy108

Just grabbed the PS3 version off of Amazon w/ the $15 credit deal. Still sucks that they're charging sales tax in PA now...

Decided to grab this over Dishonored b/c I've been spending all my time with Borderlands 2 and I don't want to get burnt out on the FPS perspective. Dishonored looks great, tho; but by the time my backlog allows me to get to it, the game will be half price. LOL.

red731

Going right into classic ironman, never played the original but I am okay at tbs games so...

I should be massacred shortly.

This. What could possibly go wrong.

The only thing I am scared of when I will name my squad members by people in real life that I see everyday and they will screw up something or even die. I would not look at them the same.
Like in that rev3 video.

Dakota47

XCOM will be my first RTS, and I'd like to make a list of PS3 XCOM players so we can get a few matches organised. PM me if you're interested :)

I'm thinking something like

Gaf name----------------PSN name-----------------Skill (Great, good, average, poor, newbie)

The_Hitcher89------The_Hitcher89------Newbie

If I can pick a nit: XCOM is a turn-based strategy game, tbs for short. An rts would make it real time which it is certainly not. I'm sorry for being a wise-ass.

Damn i REALLY wish i had time for this right now but between studying for an exam,work, GW2, family, friends, wife, sports, and a ton of other unrelated stuff it's looking grim to relive one of my favorite gaming experiences of my youth with this seemingly fantastic game :(

Tu101uk

Darn it, this interview really makes me want to go classic. I don't want pre-built upgrades and a gentle AI... Decisions, decisions.
Depends on whether you want a proper challenge (like the original X-COM) from the off, or you want to complete the actual narrative in a less stressful way before going on to bigger, badder and harder things.

Noema

Narrative? Narrative?!? You kids get you narrative off my Xcom. ;)

Can't believe this is out tomorrow. It feels like only yesterday when they announced the game and showed the first screens. The original X-Com is one of the most important experiences of my 25 years as a gamer; this is something I have dreamt of for years.

I feel giddy like a school girl.

Classic
Ironman
Come at me Sectoids.

Sotha Sil

Depends on whether you want a proper challenge (like the original X-COM) from the off, or you want to complete the actual narrative in a less stressful way before going on to bigger, badder and harder things.

Good point. I think I'll go normal ironman > classic ironman.

Is it friday yet?

JoeBoy101

Going back and forth between normal and classic, but think I'll go classic. The gimped AI and the prebuilt upgrades rubs me wrong. Oh, and of course it will be Ironman.

Mupod

The RPS review has convinced me to go classic ironman, I was going to go normal ironman until I read about the changes to the AI and the way the game pulls its punches. I saw a bit of the 'forgiving' AI on a stream the other day but I figured it was because the dude was playing on Easy, but if it happens on normal too then yeah, I'll stick with classic.

MedIC86

Maybe it has been answered but can you build the base as you see fit? or is it always the same structure, and you just 'buy' rooms?

McNum

Maybe it has been answered but can you build the base as you see fit? or is it always the same structure, and you just 'buy' rooms?
The top floor is always the same, but you can build the rest as you want out of premade rooms, with the exception of the central lift which has to be in the middle. Building similar room next to each other gives a bonus. Like two Foundries next to each other being worth 2.25 Foundries in production strength, or two 2 satellite up-links giving your 5 satellites if next to each other.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
*sniff*

And so begins the horrible wait while everyone else plays the game.

Flunkie

Banned
So I see a lot of people talking about difficulty. I don't want to breeze through the game but I hate really tough games/losing shit in games so I don't know what to do. I never played the original. Any recommendations?

So I see a lot of people talking about difficulty. I don't want to breeze through the game but I hate really tough games/losing shit in games so I don't know what to do. I never played the original. Any recommendations?

Just play the game on Normal. It's no breeze.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

This is where I'm at

- I love the difficulty in games like dark souls and ninja gaiden and the like
- I despise the difficulty in games like CoD

I firmly believe that the challenge in XCOMs difficulty will coincide with those in the former category. My recommendation would be to try out the game on normal mode, if you think it's manageable then turn on ironman baby.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
fog of war is fine. not knowing the percentage i have of being shot, when i know the percentage chance of hitting a target is weird.

Knowing enemy hit per percentage during your turn is pointless because they are going to move on their turn and change it. Just always assume the hit chance will be high.

Troops will die often and you will fail missions. It just is

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not going to knock the game's music or anything, because it is pretty awesome, as far as I've heard, but...

This trailer using a remix of the original theme does make me a think of missed opportunities.

I will miss that song in the new game. And if there are mods, I will find one to at least use it during interceptions.

Music remix mode would be awesome. I really did like the original's music. I wonder who did it and what else he/she's done.

Ketch

eh, what is the whole policy of steam and vpn servers to play earlier? wait is gonna be real hard...

I don't know what the official steam policy is, but the whole timed release crap is just that.. CRAP. The game is done, the files are in my computer (blue steal) right now, there is no reason that makes any sense to make people wait... it's annoying and I feel that it's also anti-consumer. In short bullshit! give me game.

gimped AI?

Also, on Normal- tactical AI is gimped. JS made a comment about how on Normal the alien AI will not try to overwhelm you with numbers and you can actually see them pull aliens back if the numbers reach a certain point.

I believe playing on Normal will create the "monster closet" effect some reviewers (IGN) are experiencing.

I'm so unsure on if I'll like this game or not. The demo doesn't really help. I know it's an excellent game, but I don't know if it's for me. Maybe I'll wait for the Steam Christmas sales.

Tu101uk

I'm so unsure on if I'll like this game or not. The demo doesn't really help. I know it's an excellent game, but I don't know if it's for me. Maybe I'll wait for the Steam Christmas sales.
That's cool, no-one's pointing a plasma rifle to your head. ^_^ If you are slightly interested in tactical and/or strategic games, do check it out sometime. From these impressions, it would be a waste to skip it entirely.

Top Bottom