• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

So, i noticed that you get certain country bonuses when you build satellites. For example, my satellite in china nets me 100 credits and +1 engineers per month. Are those bonuses randomized per play through or always the same per country?

RossCo

Neo Member
This is pure laziness, as I'm sure I can dig this out myself, but has anyone found where the save games are stashed yet?

Given the lack of cloud saves from what I can see, I think some Dropbox save shenanigans are going to be called for.

(I did find a save folder, but it was empty despite hours of gameplay. I am now sat at my work desk frozen with fear at the thought that it might not have saved at all......)

smr00

Banned
2 questions:

Any livestreams?
When is the American PS3 Store normally updated?

Cheers in advance :)
Last couple of weeks the PSN store has been updating early, like 2-3pm EST but since PS3 launched the times on the update has been so erratic you really can't pinpoint a time. You could get it updated at 2pm est or 7pm est. They really need to get their shit together.

Mupod

I gotta say that being able to rebind keys fixed all my control issues with the demo. I can fit pretty much everything on a Razer Naga's buttons.

Only problem is that when I was first getting used to it, I kept hitting Overwatch instead of the button I bound to 1 for attack. Actually got one of my guys killed that way...

Derrick01

Banned
I am so terrible at trying to budget for the month. I'm frequently under $100 with more than half the month to go. There's just too much to build!

I'm also starting to lose control on some countries. Mexico has a max panic rating so I'm rushing to build a satellite thing so I can make 1 more satellite and get it out there before the end of the month. India and France also have 4 panic rating. Shit's out of control!

On the plus side I'm doing great in battles. Other than Tebow I haven't lost anyone in 7-10 missions so far. I've got several guys upgraded to seargent or higher and several aliens captured.

smr00

Banned
I am so terrible at trying to budget for the month. I'm frequently under $100 with more than half the month to go. There's just too much to build!

I'm also starting to lose control on some countries. Mexico has a max panic rating so I'm rushing to build a satellite thing so I can make 1 more satellite and get it out there before the end of the month. India and France also have 4 panic rating. Shit's out of control!

On the plus side I'm doing great in battles. Other than Tebow I haven't lost anyone in 7-10 missions so far. I've got several guys upgraded to seargent or higher and several aliens captured.
wow this game sounds like it has a great deal of depth.

other than like 10 minutes of gameplay i watched i don't anything else about the game, i just know i want it and after hearing this i cannot hold in my excitement anymore. OFF TO GAMESTOP!

Darkone

Dam, don`t know what Difficulty level to play this, any suggestions if to go Classic or Normal?

i like a challenge but not spending hours on hours (that i don`t have) to move forward in the game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, forgive me here, I just realized/remembered the game was on consoles. How is it on Xbox? Also, for someone that has barely dabbled in Civ games, is it friendly to a new player?

Thanks!
!

Didn't see an answer yet. Is this similar in gameplay to the 3ds Ghost Recon Shadow Wars turn-based game? I loved that game.

FUCK

I got a disc read error and lost everything after two missions. I guess autosave is off by default and I never made a hard save. God damn it

Didn't see an answer yet. Is this similar in gameplay to the 3ds Ghost Recon Shadow Wars turn-based game? I loved that game.
Then you'll love this one too. Gameplay is very similar on the battlefield but then there's an entire strategic meta game on top of that where you choose what missions to go on and much more.

Dragnet

Godammit, Shopto are assholes. Had stock since yesterday, been processing my order since the morning and WILL NOT dispatch the game before 5pm, so definitely no XCOM tomorrow :( No doubt they'll dispatch it right after 5pm though, just like they did last week with Fifa. Aargh!

Great game so far, have been getting pretty consistent frame rate drops during explosions though (pc). Everything else seems to run smooth which is kinda strange.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Then you'll love this one too. Gameplay is very similar on the battlefield but then there's an entire strategic meta game on top of that where you choose what missions to go on and much more.

Oh man, how will I play this, Dishonored and Borderlands 2? I still have Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 to finish! :p

If you don#t have a PC for games I thought the Xbox demo is out now as well.

Saw that, added to my downloads.

When you frame it like that it just sounds so freaking incredible. What else could you ask for, really?

Mupod

Dam, don`t know what Difficulty level to play this, any suggestions if to go Classic or Normal?

i like a challenge but not spending hours on hours (that i don`t have) to move forward in the game.

Based on my brief experiences last night it seems like Classic really needs you to go in with a solid plan or else you're gonna crash and burn in the strategy layer. Even if you don't fail any missions you can put yourself in a bad situation just from taking too long to get certain things built or researched, and even if you don't lose any soldiers having your veterans get wounded could end up in a whole bunch of panicking rookies wiping your squad while they are recuperating. As I said in an earlier post my entire game got boned just because I chose to do the tutorial my first time through.

I hear Normal gets too easy later on, but it's definitely not a complete walk in the park in the early game. I think I'm just gonna keep restarting until I find a research/build sequence that really works well before I tackle Classic again.

Twiccan

Neo Member

If you are worried about wasting time with trial and error, maybe strategy games aren't your thing?

inky

You can change the difficulty on the fly, can't you? Probably not in ironman, but in regular play I'm pretty sure I saw a menu to do so. I just want to finish it in normal once, then start all the crazy Classic Ironmans and stuff.

3HwNT.jpg

Meet O'Brien. He was a former IRA who decides to join the good fight.

He makes good sandwiches too.

red731

Game is sweet, but when you change resolution it-will-fuck-up-everything.
Can't see menu, text, nothing - also the game overscans on my TV a little(same res as in other games that run without problems). alt-f4

Jake Solomon, lead designer tweeted that he was playing FTL to kill time before the XCOM reviews started rolling in. He's also mentioned that he plays Frozen Synapse. It's awesome to see lead developers who are also passionate fans!

Derrick01

Banned
Man I'm collapsing all over now. I didn't know satellites themselves take time to make so after I got the uplink done in time and bought a satellite it said it'd take 20 days which is going to push into next month. Mexico's pretty much gone for me. I have a ton of other areas in a 4 panic state too since when you choose an area to help it only helps that country, but the panic in the other areas you didn't choose goes up across the entire continent which isn't really fair.

I've started losing some veteran soldiers now too. I still have 1 lieutenant, a captain (I think that's the next one after lieutenant) and a couple seargents but the numbers are thinning after that. Thank god for snipers is all I'll say.

DTKT

Jesus, the game is brutal when you make a mistake. Forgot one soldier outside of cover thinking the area was safe just to see one alien appear and crits the solder. Dead. :|

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of arbitrary dice-rolls. But I guess I'm getting used to that.

Soi-Fong

Jesus, the game is brutal when you make a mistake. Forgot one soldier outside of cover thinking the area was safe just to see one alien appear and crits the solder. Dead. :|

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of arbitrary dice-rolls. But I guess I'm getting used to that.

I hate how they can still crit my guys even behind cover. So annoying, but I guess that's how it's suppose to be.

koryuken

I love this game. I did the tutorial missions and then started over.

Guys, where do you recommend making your base??

US gives you 50% aircraft maintenance and upgrades while Africa gives you 30% more cash every month. I'm leaning towards the cash...any advice???

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm glad to hear the game is as brutal and punishing as ever. I'm keeping an empty bottle by my side just to fill it with n00b's tears. I shall drink them like ambrosia.

Sotha Sil

Are you playing on normal or classic?

Derrick01

Banned

US gives you 50% aircraft maintenance and upgrades while Africa gives you 30% more cash every month. I'm leaning towards the cash...any advice???

I really wish I would have picked the cash one. It's so easy to run out of it halfway through each month.

Sotha Sil said:
Are you playing on normal or classic?

Normal. Battles were easy for a while but they ramped up quick and I just don't have enough cash to go around to build everything I need.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I put my base in the US without any regard for the bonuses, cause I'm defending the homeland first and foremost.

Grimsen

My first classic ironman game was a complete failure. Such a brutal difficulty.

Just started over on normal ironman for my training. I'll be back, classic!

Probably been mentionned but the 360 demo is out now,at only 1.50 gigs instead of the 5 on Steam....giving it a try now.

Perfect timing!! My PC just gave out last night!! I won't be able to fix that, but will try this demo immediately for 360.. I have been waiting for this game all year, and will take it whichever way I can get it.

Question, has anyone seen a ps3 Vs 360 comparison? If I can't have the PC version, I want the better console version.

As I go along, my one tip for people is to constantly build satellites and their link things.
I have a base in North America and just launched a satellite in China. After doing so the guy yelled at me and said it would be useless since I gave no interceptors there. I'm early on in the game so how and when can I do this?

GameStop only had one copy of it for the PS3- my preorder. The girl behind the counter said many people had come in asking about it but they only received one copy.

Others on the official 2K forums are reporting this from GS as well.

Top Bottom