• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

To anyone playing on PS3 (and sorry if asked)

How well is it running? I am going to drive to gamestop to pick up my Dishonored pre-order and thinking about picking this up as well if it doesn't have terrible screen tearing or anything.

Only played an hour or so but I've not noticed any problems. There is occasional load-stutter but that has been during a cut scene and not during an actual mission.

Mupod

Is the tutorial the same as the demo?

Not quite. You go through the same first two missions, although the second one ends quicker.

But the thing is the tutorial doesn't stop there, it also restricts your choices at first regarding things like building parts of your base. It's not as rigid as the demo was but the 'chains' stay on for a while before it turns over full control.

Nocebo

Gosh completing an abduction site rated "difficult", with 3 rookies and a vet without a single casualty, felt so satisfying. (playing on classic ironman).

Derrick01

Banned
So do elevation bonuses not matter on the defensive side? I had 2 guys on a fast food restaurant's rooftop with a great vantage on 5 sectoids but they both were killed within 2 turns. Realistically they shouldn't be able to hit my guys from that far down since my guys would just duck under the edge of the roof, but they hit my guys like it was a 90% chance.

koryuken

So do elevation bonuses not matter on the defensive side? I had 2 guys on a fast food restaurant's rooftop with a great vantage on 5 sectoids but they both were killed within 2 turns. Realistically they shouldn't be able to hit my guys from that far down since my guys would just duck under the edge of the roof, but they hit my guys like it was a 90% chance.

The cover icon (shield) is what matters. Unless your guys are behind full cover, they can be hit.

Mupod

Yeah the 'more info' thing only said it conferred an offensive advantage. Snipers can get +10 defense from it, though.

Has anyone tried out Covering Fire? 3 extra movement sounds good, but being able to pre-emptively shoot enemies sounds like an amazing defensive ability. Unless it only triggers AFTER they shoot. Either way I'm definitely bringing two supports along, I love smoke grenades.

Man, floaters are even more assholes than in the first game. Their ability to jetpack behind my troops can be hard to deal with.

As an aside, I love how nicknames are assigned.

Edit: I have a single gripe about EU: I hate being shot/being able to shoot through cover.

Derrick01

Banned
The cover icon (shield) is what matters. Unless your guys are behind full cover, they can be hit.

I hate that since it makes no sense. I appreciate the offensive perks since elevation has always been an advantage in warfare but so has common sense. No moron would leave their head hanging over the ledge exposed to gunfire. Oh well at least I know now and can plan accordingly.

Does the chance to hit % account for windows or walls? I had a few instances in the train station level where I was shooting from one side to an alien on the other with 60+ chance but missed every time because my shots hit walls or windows. Or is it literally just a measure of aim + range regardless of terrain?

I have had one bug so far. I put my heavy in cover against the outside wall of a UFO which clearly showed a full cover bonus. But when I checked his defence level it was 0. I tried it with another heavy and she was fine. Hmm. Not a helpful thing to have in the game!

Even if you are in full cover you can be hit. Full cover gives you 40 defence and reduces enemy accuracy on that target by 40. Armour and smoke grenades and soldier skills can increase this, potentially to 100 defence.

Uthred

Anyone else getting a weird sort of texture "pop" effect during the scenes where your base manager is talking to you? The texture for his ugly green jumper seems to randomly move between a blury mess and what its supposed to look like. Not a major thing I suppose

Ketch

How do you get to the unit info (right stick click in) on the m+kb?

Edit: I think I need to just go into keyboard controls and rebind everything... or play with the 360 pad.

Derrick01

Banned
LOL as if things couldn't get any worse for me. Add Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Tron Guy to the list of the deceased.

Kareem got a pincer through the chest starship troopers style and Tron Guy got eaten by one of the pedestrians that was killed and turned into a zombie. I wasn't expecting the dead to rise at all here. The zombie thing caused the 1 other rookie I had on my squad to piss his pants and run away and cower in fear. So I'm basically working with a captain (Rico from Killzone) and a lieutenant (Robert Downey) to complete the mission...

I pre-ordered from Best Buy for the $15 GC and I still haven't gotten a confirmation email that they have the game ready for me to pick up. I should have seen this coming...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It turns out the game is so massive on PC because they included both 720p and 1080p versions of every movie.

And, as an added bonus, the game only uses the 720p versions. You can apparently rename all the files to make them 1080p according to this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/116lks/quick_note_about_xcom_enemy_unknowns_video_assets/

However, there will be a lot of spoilers from the movie names.

I'd really like to use a batch file to up-res my movies, hopefully someone will release one soon.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It turns out the game is so massive on PC because they included both 720p and 1080p versions of every movie.

And, as an added bonus, the game only uses the 720p versions. You can apparently rename all the files to make them 1080p according to this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/116lks/quick_note_about_xcom_enemy_unknowns_video_assets/

However, there will be a lot of spoilers from the movie names.

I'd really like to use a batch file to up-res my movies, hopefully someone will release one soon.

I hate this shit, specially since we are talking about in-game assets with just some crummy effects on top of them.

Give me detailed CG or real time cut-scenes, but not this mangled BS.

Sullen

How do you move the camera around on the base screen? can you only navigate by click the tabs at the top of the screen? Or can you actually zoom in and see stuff in the base?

So for people who have the console versions, how accessible is this to people who never play strategy games? I know there's an easy mode, but does it do a good job of teaching you the mechanics and keeping things interesting? I'm on the fence between this and Dishonoured but am leaning towards this.

Lombax

Banned
Hello GAFCOM,

Query: is there a way that I can modify the destination folder that the game saves to? I would prefer that my save files are kept on a google drive.

inky

So for people who have the console versions, how accessible is this to people who never play strategy games? I know there's an easy mode, but does it do a good job of teaching you the mechanics and keeping things interesting? I'm on the fence between this and Dishonoured but am leaning towards this.

The 3 versions are the same. I have the PC version, but yes, the game has an adequate tutorial that will ease you into every system, from base building to combat. The "keeping things interesting" is up for you to decide tho, I mean, the game has a lot of stuff going for it, from resource management, building and research to combat tactics. Play the demo and see if you find it engaging.

Desaan

Classic Ironman game over #2 (92 days)

I can't keep everyone happy, my research is slow, income is lolworthy, I can't equip my troops with what I need and still be able to expand.

I am the sad.

kazinova

I think this thread has convinced me that my loss is inevitable and I should attempt Classic Ironman for my first play and see how far I get and then alter the difficulty from there.

red731

I feel pretty bad....

I just customized my squad and THAT is really when you get attached to them, just to have three killed in next mission ;_;

I saved my best one from car that was about to explode, then I forgot! to move one so that car explosion killed him, then two better guys were shot by aliens.

And I was doing so good. Captured sectoid and tman in previous mission...

I...I, must carry on.

Salutes

I feel like my old xcom business model is useless in this game. Build up a huge manufacturing arm to constantly sell items to the grey market thus negating the need to worry about other countries monthly income.

Unilateral alien stomping should be a viable long-term option...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I don't thinks it's worth a new thread and probably fits in here quite well. Article by Ben Kuchera: XCOM is a gamble on a hardcore genre, and there is more riding on its success than you think
That article is dead-on, although I think the implications reach further than just turn-based games. XCOM's success or failure is going to have big ripple effects for the industry. If it's successful, we're going to have a new golden age for big-budget games. If it's a failure, despite executing so well from both a business and quality perspective, the industry is in serious trouble.

That said, I expect the game to do well--like Deus Ex: Human Revolution numbers.

Xater

That article is dead-on, although I think the implications reach further than just turn-based games. XCOM's success or failure is going to have big ripple effects for the industry. If it's successful, we're going to have a new golden age for big-budget games. If it's a failure, despite executing so well from both a business and quality perspective, the industry is in serious trouble.

That said, I expect the game to do well--like Deus Ex: Human Revolution numbers.

I really hope so...

He later also tweeted:

I'm not sure how much it should change your buying decisions, but big sales of Dishonored and XCOM would send a really positive message.

https://twitter.com/benkuchera/status/255733841048764416

Which I think he is also right about. Things that are different from the mainstream games should be embraced. As long as they are good of course, but that doe snot seem to be an issue with these two titles. ;)

Top Bottom