• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

That article is dead-on, although I think the implications reach further than just turn-based games. XCOM's success or failure is going to have big ripple effects for the industry. If it's successful, we're going to have a new golden age for big-budget games. If it's a failure, despite executing so well from both a business and quality perspective, the industry is in serious trouble.

That said, I expect the game to do well--like Deus Ex: Human Revolution numbers.
It's true, this is a big reason why I'm picking up this game over Dishonored as well. I'll get Dishonored before too long, though.

M.W.

Picked this up today on PS3. I'm a nub at XCOM, but it looks like so much fun. Will have to split time with Dishonored too. What a week for games!

Onemic

Hows the game for you guys? Is it close to that of the original? Is the PC version moddable at all? I also hear that you can only make one base now instead of multiple, does that make it more shallow at all compared to the original?(and if it is moddable do you think that and any other omissions could be modded in?)

Probably gonna buy this at retail in the next 5 minutes.

Derrick01

Banned
Hows the game for you guys? Is it close to that of the original? Is the PC version moddable at all? I also hear that you can only make one base now instead of multiple, does that make it more shallow at all compared to the original?(and if it is moddable do you think that and any other omissions could be modded in?)

Probably gonna buy this at retail in the next 5 minutes.

I'm having a hard enough time balancing the budget in 1 base let alone if there were multiple bases. There's more than enough to build and maintain. It's hard as hell even on Normal too.

I really hope so...

He later also tweeted:

https://twitter.com/benkuchera/status/255733841048764416

Which I think he is also right about. Things that are different from the mainstream games should be embraced. As long as they are good of course, but that doe snot seem to be an issue with these two titles. ;)

I am afraid it is going to do poorly on console. Just look at the traffic difference here on Neogaf between the X-com thread and the Dishonored ones.

It's sad, really. Somebody should post a PSA: Hey, if you like RPG-esque games you should be playing fucking X-Com. I think a lot of console people have the impression this is some sort of very complex simulation or something.

My only complaint so far (and its minor) is I wish the manual saves showed up first in the list. Sometimes it's a chore weeding through the many numerous autosaves.

I am afraid it is going to do poorly on console. Just look at the traffic difference here on Neogaf between the X-com thread and the Dishonored ones.

It's sad, really. Somebody should post a PSA: Hey, if you like RPG-esque games you should be playing fucking X-Com. I think a lot of console people have the impression this is some sort of very complex simulation or something.
I'm not so pessimistic. It's my understanding that Civ Rev did quite well on console.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That article is dead-on, although I think the implications reach further than just turn-based games. XCOM's success or failure is going to have big ripple effects for the industry. If it's successful, we're going to have a new golden age for big-budget games. If it's a failure, despite executing so well from both a business and quality perspective, the industry is in serious trouble.

That said, I expect the game to do well--like Deus Ex: Human Revolution numbers.

I doubt good sales would change the industry very much. Civilization 5 sold well and the Sims 3 continues to be one of EA's biggest money maker, yet we don't see many big budget games being made in the same vain as those games. I remember when I thought Shadow Complex's huge success would bring back the Metroidvania genre, but later we found we didn't even get a Shadow Complex 2, and even Metroid Other M decided to not be a metroidvania game anymore. Starcraft 2's mega sales hasn't changed the industry in any way either.

I don't think publishers care about other peoples game's sales unless they are proven to be huge huge huge moneymakers, like WoW or CoD.

I doubt good sales would change the industry very much. Civilization 5 sold well and the Sims 3 continues to be one of EA's biggest money maker, yet we don't see many big budget games being made in the same vain as those games. I remember when I thought Shadow Complex's huge success would bring back the Metroidvania genre, but later we found we didn't even get a Shadow Complex 2, and even Metroid Other M decided to not be a metroidvania game anymore. Starcraft 2's mega sales hasn't changed the industry in any way either.

I don't think publishers care about other peoples game's sales unless they are proven to be huge huge huge moneymakers, like WoW or CoD.
I think the main difference between this game and most of the games you listed is that Enemy Unknown is clearly going for an audience that extends well beyond the PC crowd. Shadow Complex is also a strange comparison since it isn't a big budget retail release.

You could still be right, though. Even if this game was a sales success it wouldn't guarantee anything but at least it would give fans of these types of games some hope for the future.

Ugh. I started installing from DVD an nearly hour ago. It's still not done.

This is a good reminder of why I just prefer digital downloads. I only bought it from a store because I had birthday gift cards.

Mupod

Yeah, Civ is a 'game you can lose' and it's been insanely popular forever.

I'm kinda worried about the sales just because 4.5 years of dev time can't have been cheap. Eager to see the steam stats this weekend, that's for sure.

Lime

I'm in Europe and I want to play this game right now. Anyone know of any VPN methods I can use, besides the anonymitynetwork.com? My trial has expired with them.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So you guys having fun?

tumblr_mbjpkahL7S1ran3jeo1_500.gif

Everybody forgot about the rest of us. Duckroll you still alive bromeo?

Kurdel

Banned
Played the tutorial and first mission last night.

The game is really awesome, and is just what I needed right now.

I was hoping it would run better on my shitty 2009 MacBook pro, but the game is good enough to make me endure 1024x720 (not sure about those numbers) shitty resolution.

KaYotiX

Banned
lost my first man lastnight in mission 3.....went to far ahead and some energy monster spawned and next turn...BLAM!!! Plasma to the face and Dead :(

RIP Rookie

Can you reverse the direction of the rotation fo the camera? I keep spinning it the wrong way because I expect the button to move the camera in the direction I press, not the other way around.

SRG01

Is anyone having weird flicker issues on the second floor of buildings? It didn't happen in the demo so I'm curious as to why this is happening.

Magilla

Banned
I really need the squad size upgrade. On a few of the wider maps I had trouble positioning my team correctly. I found it difficult to space them properly so that I had all angles covered, but not so far spaced that they couldn't cover each other. 3 groups of two in certain maps seems like it would have worked out better.

Getting new weapons manufactured for the soldiers really makes all the difference. More powerful and more accurate. Just wished the research didn't take so long.

koryuken

Ok so I got a question about enemy spawns. Are they all triggered or do they actully exist on the map at the start?

For example, if I have my guys in a great position doing overwatch, the aliens never seem to come to me. Is it always the case that I have to go after the aliens??

Mupod

Ok so I got a question about enemy spawns. Are they all triggered or do they actully exist on the map at the start?

For example, if I have my guys in a great position doing overwatch, the aliens never seem to come to me. Is it always the case that I have to go after the aliens??

They exist on the map, they're just waiting for you and it plays the cutscene thing when you're spotted.

There's also patrols who wander around and can really ruin your day, but I think they are uncommon in early game/lower difficulties.

Sephon

I am so conflicted.
I'm playing Classic without Ironman and my squad of close friends are alive and insanely powerful with erotic weaponry, but at the same time it feels so undeserved.
I am thinking of restarting and going normal ironman to give myself a fighting chance but remove the save/load cheat which i can't resist.

But at the same time I remember the original game, and how I raged when I saved myself into a corner and had to let my best soldiers die... good times.

I also have this problem of jizzing in my pants everytime I snipe an alien, is this a common problem?

JoeBoy101

Getting new weapons manufactured for the soldiers really makes all the difference. More powerful and more accurate. Just wished the research didn't take so long.

This. Takes forever to research new weapons, though adding another Lab helped some. That and the interrogation of a floater gave me a 50% decrease in armor tech research time.

This fucking game is so good. The one base limitation worried me, but the management of the building/engineering/research makes it more interesting to me. That and the the nicknames. Hoping my 'Papa Bear' makes it through the campaign.

Sephon said:
I am so conflicted.
I'm playing Classic without Ironman and my squad of close friends are alive and insanely powerful with erotic weaponry, but at the same time it feels so undeserved.
I am thinking of restarting and going normal ironman to give myself a fighting chance but remove the save/load cheat which i can't resist.

But at the same time I remember the original game, and how I raged when I saved myself into a corner and had to let my best soldiers die... good times.

I also have this problem of jizzing in my pants everytime I snipe an alien, is this a common problem?

I'm finding Normal Ironman a satisfying mix of difficult enough to be dangerous with no out provided, but not being completely punishing.

Twiccan

Neo Member

I saw the devs say in a video where they were showing off the game (maybe the Gamespot one, not sure though) that the aliens do their own patrols and stuff independent of what you are doing.

On normal they are placed on the map at the start, and you have to discover them

On classic/Ironman, enemies have patrols and they can enter a fight even if you don't discover them.

Why was I under the impression you couldn't skip the tutorial? Got home, fired this up and just immediately dived into classic ironman with no tutorial. Destroyed some alien scum on the first mission, 6- 0 with no injuries at all, gonna be faceroll all the way to cydonia.

Right....?

Mupod

I'm playing Classic without Ironman and my squad of close friends are alive and insanely powerful with erotic weaponry,

found your problem

red731

My best soldier, second best soldier and three rookies failed to sweep and clean downed UFO.
I am sad. Seeing the last guy there, alone and enemies swarming the room...
...like, they knew what was gonna happen.

Worst commander eva...

ElFly

My only complaint so far (and its minor) is I wish the manual saves showed up first in the list. Sometimes it's a chore weeding through the many numerous autosaves.

I'm not so pessimistic. It's my understanding that Civ Rev did quite well on console.

I think it didn't do so well and they decided to not try again.

Of course, Civ Rev was a console only spin off, so the metric for "success" for a multiplatform game may be different.

e:I think T2 said it was a success but still cancelled CivRev2

yarden24

some questions,

1) can cyberdisk's actually be captured alive?

2)are the SHIV's useful? they were very useful in the first one, and im wondering if they are worth the investment this time around

When does the tutorial end?

Tried playing through the game just there till I got the weapon to capture aliens, and my whole squad died because I tried to capture that stupid alien

Sotha Sil

some questions,

2)are the SHIV's useful? they were very useful in the first one, and im wondering if they are worth the investment this time around

I think Jake said they are mostly useful on classic, when you get your top officers killed and need useful units asap.

legbone

The tutorial stuff goes a bit further than that. Demo is a couple of missions, real tutorial is about 4/5 missions and some research/base building stuff.

is there an obvious end to it? i was just going to play through the tutorial and then start over on ironman. I thought i was through the tutorial but i guess not. does it come right out and say "the tutorial is over, good luck noob!".

Top Bottom