• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

I'm open to debate on the question! What is bothering you with the current KBM controls? I've been playing for about 5-6 hours and had no issue with troop control or base management. I mean, they could be better but they are totally adequate for what you actually need to be doing.

Input lag, awkward camera movement, UI clearly not designed first and foremost for KBM.

Have you tried it with the 360 pad? it's unquestionably the control input the game was designed around. The camera movement, the "snap to" terrain. The "lock on" targeting system.

Anyone who's starting the game, if you have a 360 pad, bang it in and do yourself a favour to save yourself some ballache.

#2 - that kind of cover is partway in, partway out (because it lets you shoot out of it). If you go one more step away from the opening, you won't get shot (and can't shoot out, at least not along the same arc).

I do not like the new cover system as well. If you can shot them, they can shoot you, even if they are in the open and you are behind the damn wall.

calder

I guess after the 6gb demo and the 12gb full game a 1.8 gb patch shouldn't surprise me as much as it did. Poor folks with data caps jebus.

epmode

Input lag, awkward camera movement, UI clearly not designed first and foremost for KBM.

Have you tried it with the 360 pad? it's unquestionably the control input the game was designed around. The camera movement, the "snap to" terrain. The "lock on" targeting system.

Anyone who's starting the game, if you have a 360 pad, bang it in and do yourself a favour to save yourself some ballache.
I agree that the game was designed around a pad and it feels better than mouse control in general.

However! The new patch fixed it up a bit. There are new shortcuts and the 30 FPS limit on mouse updates is gone.

I do not like the new cover system as well. If you can shot them, they can shoot you, even if they are in the open and you are behind the damn wall.
Obviously! If you have a line of sight, so do they. But when you're in cover, you have a much lower chance of being hit.

This game (and the original) is about minimizing risk rather than eliminating it. Even the best players will take casualties. The trick is in recovering from the awful things that will definitely happen.

DTKT

Those are all issues, but nothing that actually prevented me from enjoying the game. The UI is super simple and the number of inputs is limited. Maybe if we had 4 more squad members the cumbersome UI and KBM controls might have annoyed me.

Either way, it plays fine with a keyboard and a mouse. Sure, it might be a tad better with a pad but I would never knock the game because of that.

Ketch

I'm about to start my 5th game and I'm more and more convinced your supposed to just sacrifice one continent.

This is where I'm at now... gonna have to give up on North america and and europe so I can complete south america, africa, and hopefully asia so I can get those sweet bonuses... even though I have no idea what they do.

I heard having a base on the continent gives you the whole benefit from the get go... is this true?

Corto

15 more minutes...

15db89_2831712.jpg

I wish they would rebalance the abduction missions such that they start out causing less havoc, and get substantially worse as time goes on. It's actually very easy to settle into an endgame state where you have 5-6 "lost" countries all the rest at like 1 panic, with no real pressure to end the game (your squad can handle the missions, and you have a near-complete backup squad at that point too), just farming your psi troops until you make the attempt to finish the fight.

Anyway , the numbers are rough but it would be better like this:

first three abduction missions: 2 targets, not the current three
next five: 3 targets (current normal)
next five: 4 targets (1 more than normal, things are getting out of control)
past that: 5 targets you better wind this one up quick

Right now on Classic/Impossible you start the game in complete freefall and have no real options but satellite spam as much and as fast as possible.

Blu10

This game rocks, but fuck crystalids on terror missions. Can't tell you how many guys I have lost to first contact with them.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I need to go to bed in 9 minutes because of standing up early tomorrow...

fuck

This game rocks, but fuck crystalids on terror missions. Can't tell you how many guys I have lost to first contact with them.

Fuck crystalids on any mission. I opened a door once on a UFO to a small room and there was 3 of those things inside. Wiped half my team right away. It doesn't help they they get an extra turn when discovered either.

Being beside a door isn't being behind a wall. If you're the next spot over, you can't be hit. I assume the idea is that you got shot at the exact moment you tried sneaking a peak, or didn't realize your shoulder was exposed, etc...

Zeliard

unpacking

but maaaaaaaaan second dishonored playthrough I DONT KNOW

probably gonna still start a campaign on this

Hasn't been easy to choose between them. They're both great games. They also complement each other really well since they're so different gameplay-wise.

Raven77

Thanks for the Gamefly recommendation!!!

I was able to have Best Buy pricematch their XCOM special eddition down to 39.99!

Salsa

Hasn't been easy to choose between them. They're both great games. They also complement each other really well since they're so different gameplay-wise.

yeah, it's weird cause im literally at the last mission in Dishonored but im thinking about jumping back in immediatly for a second time around befor seriously investing into XCOM

Well I succeeded at the landed UFO mission...but not without a price.

Lt. Heavy Weapons, XCOM's highest-ranked and most decorated soldier, the lone survivor of the very first tutorial mission, gave his life in the line of duty defending his troops against a Mutor. With 18 kills and 7 missions survived, he was a true war hero. Both rookies who survived, to honor the fallen hero, took up the Heavy class in memoriam.

It is a sad, sad day. R.I.P. Lt. Heavy Weapons.

IISANDERII

Newb here and WTF is up with all the Support Classes they keep giving me? Out of the 7 soldiers I've levelled up, 4 are Support.

What should i do?

Zeliard

All of the classes are pretty excellent in their own way. They each play a critical role.

They've balanced classes out quite impressively.

huge patch noooooooooooooooooooo

I'm on my first (technically second but game crash 2hours into utorial and no autosave) play on normal.

I got up to a ufo base raid mission way earlier than i should have i think since it was literally impossible, i gave it a real go a few times but I just didn't have the firepower so I went about doing random stuff to get some better gear and level some guys.

The stage I'm at now though is a litlle frustrating since i spent nearly all my resources on weps and armour for my troops my inteceptors were shiiiiiiiiity so I've have to get them up to snuff.

Still have one of my original guys (an assualt) and a couple of other colonels

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Bomb mission in America
costed me my four best men. Things were going fine and dandy until five (?) slender men dropped out from the sky.

FUCK.

I haven't had a support guy in ages. :/

My support colonel is my mvp in nearly every map heh

also had a few bugs, shiv with no guns, some menus that wont close but i think the coolest one was when a rookie died on a mission but then on the next misssion he was still in my squad, couldn't dismiss because "soldiers need to recover before you can do that". I thought fuck it ill just do the mission a man down but when we luanch in the guy is acyually a usable guy. He gets promotion during this fight and took no damage but when I get back to base he just dissapeared off the list.

Newb here and WTF is up with all the Support Classes they keep giving me? Out of the 7 soldiers I've levelled up, 4 are Support.

Basically everything I get is Assault. I only had one Heavy until he died and two rookies took up the mantle. I think I've gotten two Snipers and two Supports total, and one of the Snipers was a gift. Everything else, assault assault assault.

Which is fine, I love Run & Gun. I make it work.

G-Fex

OH MY GOD THIS IS GREAT

As a big X-com fan, I love the new game. Best purchase with Dishonored I made today.

I'll be playing this for so long.

How Ironic, the X-com they set out to make a FPS completely different from the original title is in development hell while the x-com title that is a updated take on the original is released and hopefully is successful.

Top Bottom