• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

TTG

I was just in a interceptor battle against an alien ship that had a start time of 5 seconds. No matter though, he shot me down in less than 3. I think this is what happens when a horseman with a sabre goes galloping at a tank. There is no end to the ways in which this game has to hurt you.

RIP SteamGAF Squad

2012-10-12_00001m3rb9.jpg

12/10/2012 00:30 GMT - 12/10/2012 01:30 GMT

I spent like 30 minutes creating them and the entire squad got squashed in the first mission lol.

If anyone wants to see how it happened it's recorded here:
http://www.twitch.tv/steamgaf/b/335246617
@31mins

Two missed sniper shots basically ruined everything.

TTG

I think my first game, which I started on classic, is coming to an end. I'm in the red in credits and monthly supply, my satellite/interceptor set up is inadequate to stop countries from pulling support, and I'm short staffed. On the upside, I have some high ranking soldiers that are very well equipped, doesn't look like that's enough though. And I did just get past the
alien base
like 2 missions ago.

I'm thinking of starting over on normal.

Edit: yep, this is hopeless. Just got wiped by 6 mutons and 3
sectoid commanders
. This is on a routine "ufo has landed" mission. How do you deal with that kind of thing on classic? Anyone have a strategy that worked, didn't require countless reloads? I've been getting hit with 6 or 7 hard enemies on screen at the same time for about 3 missions straight. I'm toast.

Novid

Banned
One of the Greatest Games of This Generation. Yes. Its rough. You Lose more than you gain. The Chryislis are 50 times harder. The Mutons have wrecked squads that took down 5 floaters, 6 thin men and 30 or so grays.

Without, however the infuence of Valkeria - this game would have never have succeded. Yet another game saved by J-Devlopers in a roundabout way of course.

I wonder how they are going to handle DLC for this. This isn't the sort of game where you can just add mission packs or new classes/civs. I wonder if they'll go all out for cosmetic DLC for your soldiers. Maybe a character creator DLC that let's you set the sex and nationality!

Squad wipe. My god. They're all gone. Two of them were top ranked. The rest were at least within two ranks of top. My god. It was terrible.

I am truly fucked now, oh my god. Guess I'll start over!

Zeliard

For the newer players, just remember:

Satellite.

In my ah-eyes.

LIKE A DIAMOND IN THE SKY.

But seriously, invest in satellites early on. Will save you some headaches later.

Wanny

Wow guys don't underestimate pistols on snipers. Just don't.

I took that pistol skill on both of my snipers and when they need to attack after a move, it's quite effective. Hell, even in overwatch. Those extra bit of damage are very useful.

I took that pistol skill on both of my snipers and when they need to attack after a move, it's quite effective. Hell, even in overwatch.

Upgraded pistols makes snapshot almost pointless. It's just another reason to take squadvision.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I took that pistol skill on both of my snipers and when they need to attack after a move, it's quite effective. Hell, even in overwatch.

Yea the pistols are reasonable enough to render the snap shot skill as useless. Squad sight is *so* much better.

Hargenx

Fuck this world....

After creating the "alien prison" the game is buged, always say to me that I have to build it, but is already there....AAAAAAAAARGH...

Back from the start... ;__;

Ken

Did you pre-order with Steam? I think that was the only way to get the DLC.

Yeah, and I was lumped with the European release date so I had been pre-loading it for the last 12 hours. I don't have any of the pre-order bonuses either like the copy of Civ5.

Jintor

I would assume in add a game >> activate a product in the bottom left corner of the steam client since its steamworks

Ah, thanks. I didn't know DLC was also games.

Also, if anybody knows how to get access to the digital collector's edition content that'd be a help. the manual says it's on the second disc but these are all encrypted system files or something.

Zeliard

Yea the pistols are reasonable enough to render the snap shot skill as useless. Squad sight is *so* much better.

Squad Sight is invaluable. Dunno why anybody would take Snap Shot. Sniper's a sniper - that is, long-range - and is devastating at it, and Squad Sight keeps him from danger and synergizes beautifully with other abilities.

Little reason to bring a class like that in closer range when you've got Assaults who do that job much more effectively. Even when it comes to tossing battle scanners, I wouldn't pick that ability since Disabling Shot is amazing.

Bigfoot

Yeah, and I was lumped with the European release date so I had been pre-loading it for the last 12 hours. I don't have any of the pre-order bonuses either like the copy of Civ5.

That sucks. I know with me I thought I didn't have Civ5 so I restarted Steam. I then saw it under 'S' instead of 'C' but for all I know it could have been there the whole time since I think I only looked under 'C'. Wouldn't hurt to restart Steam anyways if you haven't already.

inky

Man, the Will penalty for going down is brutal. My best sniper now cowers like a little girl at the sight of Elite Mutons =/

Also, the SHIV is awesome. Don't know why I overlooked it so much, it's super useful, especially when capturing
sectoid commanders

This game might just be my GOTY.

Fuck those
mind control
sectoids so hard. So hard. One of them mindjacking my best soldier was responsible for the deaths of another 4. Got completely wiped on that mission; I don't think I'll be able to recover.

ok I had 2 snipers. I took out the Capt. sniper and left the rookie sniper to rank up. after 2-3 missions, I wanted to put my Capt sniper in because of Very Difficult mission.
Well...

he's suddenly gone from my roster. W-T-F

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
First of all, why is it impossible to surprise the enemy? Why do they always get a free move when I first encounter them? Is the ability to get the drop on the aliens something that can be earned as the game progresses?

You can surprise them if you see them before they see you. Unfortunately the only way to do this is with a battle scanner or ghost armor, and a sniper with squad sight.

Late end game spoilers; don't read unless you already beat the game:
This made the last boss ridiculously easy. I had two arcangel snipers on standby in the final boss room. My ghosted support unit dashed to where the final boss is and uncovered it without aggroing anything. My double tap, double tap, I win the game.

Soi-Fong

For the newer players, just remember:

Satellite.

In my ah-eyes.

LIKE A DIAMOND IN THE SKY.

But seriously, invest in satellites early on. Will save you some headaches later.

Wish I knew this beforehand. I fucking lost Argentina and close to losing Brazil and therefore all of South America.

After getting Dishonored and not caring for it at all, I may get what money I can out of it and put toward this. I love the fact that as G-Fex pointed out, how the FPS version wasn't working so they made a take that simply updates the original and people seem to love it.

It's a good message to send to companies indeed.
Yeah Dishonored wasn't what i'd hoped it would be as far as a good game to play between hairpulling Xcom's sessions. felt like i'd everything before the 2nd mission started.. Glad i chose to BUY Xcom and rent Dishonored.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This game is soooo goood. And its quite challenging even on normal.

B990B1AB327E0A12E050A384247FA51E55395BF4

antitrop

Do we have any patch notes on that 1.8gb monster yet?

EDIT: FOUND EM!

Replaced software cursor with the operating system cursor to reduce lag and framerate dependence.

That's huge on the PC!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
That weird sonar thing that the aliens do on their turn... is there a reason for that or it just to give you an idea where they are? Are they spotting your location for their side or something? It happens a lot on my games, and it seems all types of aliens do it but I cant ever figure any effect from it.

DTKT

That weird sonar thing that the aliens do on their turn... is there a reason for that or it just to give you an idea where they are? Are they spotting your location for their side or something? It happens a lot on my games, and it seems all types of aliens do it but I cant ever figure any effect from it.

It's a hint so you know where the aliens are.

Top Bottom