• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

correct, NG world record is 9.5 hours (NG+ is 3.5 hours)
Is there any FAQ/route written anywhere? In the splits (btw don't read these if not completed as spoilers) I notice some rather long
leveling breaks involving the knock enemies off cliff into pool of water trick
but it seems to keep to have a good pace outside of those.

3 more days! I came across my old GameStop artbook for the Wii release of Xenoblade. It's so pretty.

oBuOtZO.jpg

TheMoon

I don't have this game or plan on getting it (didn't really like the Wii version), but I just had to come in to say that this thread's title makes me laugh every time I see it. Good job, whoever came up with it.

I wonder who that may have been.

Thanks lol

Puflwiz

Banned
I can't wait to get the game on Friday. Just a quick question. Has there been any comparisons between the physical and the digital version? I've been thinking of going all digital on my 3DS just so I don't have to lug around cartridge if I want to change games on the go.

TheMoon

I can't wait to get the game on Friday. Just a quick question. Has there been any comparisons between the physical and the digital version? I've been thinking of going all digital on my 3DS just so I don't have to lug around cartridge if I want to change games on the go.

What would you need to compare? The only thing that could be different is load times and the game basically has no load times worth mentioning after the initial boot-up load as it is.

Puflwiz

Banned
What would you need to compare? The only thing that could be different is load times and the game basically has no load times worth mentioning after the initial boot-up load as it is.

Yeah that's what I meant and I can't believe I forgot to type it.

Rich!

I backed up my physical cart to my SD card for use on my regular 3DS on the go via gateway. I converted it to a CIA, which means it is basically an eshop title.

Loading times are EXACTLY the same on my cart and on the backed up digital copy. Its not like we are talking about the Wii version on disc here.

Puflwiz

Banned
I backed up my physical cart to my SD card for use on my regular 3DS on the go via gateway. I converted it to a CIA, which means it is basically an eshop title.

Loading times are EXACTLY the same on my cart and on the backed up digital copy. Its not like we are talking about the Wii version on disc here.

So digital it is then. It's a topic for a different thread but idk how I feel about the gateway thing. I like the idea of just making my physical carts digital so I can just leave them at home, but I don't want to jailbreak my n3ds.

Got the game at my flat, but my N3ds is still sitting on the shelf at my parents house. So tempted to mission it back there after work just to play it haha

Zing

Banned
I was surprised to see loading screens on the cart. I can understand modern games needing to decompress assets, and Wii DVD games needing to physically load, but the loading time just for the title screen here seemed no faster than the old disc copy.

Rich!

I was surprised to see loading screens on the cart. I can understand modern games needing to decompress assets, and Wii DVD games needing to physically load, but the loading time just for the title screen here seemed no faster than the old disc copy.

Those massive environments aren't gonna pop up out of nowhere you know

But seriously, even a few games on the N64 had longer load times than Xenoblade (The World is Not Enough for one example)

Overside

Banned

The 3ds version does have 3 times the ram to fill when booting from rom than the wii version, 256Mb as opposed to a 24Mb cache and a 64 Mb Cache.

Zing

Banned
I'm just now entering colony six via the mine. I'm level 24 and nothing in the area attacks as they are all level 16-18. I assume I am overleveled. I didn't try. I noticed that quests rarely even give experience, but discovering new areas gives huge XP. I found the "secret area" and it gave all my characters half a level.

The game would be a tad more interesting if I actually had to fight now and then.

I suspect the loading time for the title screen is more for the benefit of the player to mentally prepare themselves for one of the best title screens in gaming.

I'm just now entering colony six via the mine. I'm level 24 and nothing in the area attacks as they are all level 16-18. I assume I am overleveled. I didn't try. I noticed that quests rarely even give experience, but discovering new areas gives huge XP. I found the "secret area" and it gave all my characters half a level.

The game would be a tad more interesting if I actually had to fight now and then.

The strength of enemies and their willingness to attack you will increase greatly over time, especially as you encounter Mechon. These areas are still considered early in the game and the difficulty is scaled accordingly.

Some quests may not offer much EXP, but many do and often the various tasks they require you to pursue will lead to massive EXP boosts. I would temper the amount of quests you take on if you wish to make the game more challenging.

I find the sidequests totally fine, and 90% of them auto complete without requiring a turn-in!
Ones from generic NPCs are like that. The named NPCs usually require you to go back to them to turn the quests in so erm, hope you can find them again.

Well that was a surprise
some sidequest grinding done almost exclusivly by trading with NPCs and the marsh enemies unloading or whatever kills them grinding trick (IIRC Sharla could do it too as I think tranquilizer is ether based but no bonus staff and an even lower level might mean even less EXP)

Overside

Banned

You havent even begun the game.

And youll get your wish.

Zing

Banned
I have yet to play (3 more days...), but why not initiate the fights yourself?

The enemies would die in seconds. My lament is that I am running along this narrow ledge with enemies clearly placed as obstacles, and it would have been interesting to be forced to fight my way to the destination. I always enjoyed "breaking into" a room in EverQuest or Final Fantasy XI. If I were level 16, these enemies would be attacking me on sight.

The strength of enemies and their willingness to attack you will increase greatly over time, especially as you encounter Mechon. These areas are still considered early in the game and the difficulty is scaled accordingly.

Some quests may not offer much EXP, but many do and often the various tasks they require you to pursue will lead to massive EXP boosts. I would temper the amount of quests you take on if you wish to make the game more challenging.

I'm glad to hear this. For now, even the unique enemies in Gaur Plains have barely scratched me. I've completed almost every quest I have come across so far. From Colony Six onward, I'll focus on just the quests related to named NPCs.

You havent even begun the game.

And youll get your wish.
This is what I was hoping to hear.

I'm glad to hear this. For now, even the unique enemies in Gaur Plains have barely scratched me. I've completed almost every quest I have come across so far. From Colony Six onward, I'll focus on just the quests related to named NPCs.

Yeah, Xenoblade is one of those games meant to be played however you want to, but it's best NOT to focus on sidequests. Just accept all the quests you can, then forget about them. Half will complete themselves. Only pursue the really interesting sounding ones. I'm not a completionist by any measure, so I really didn't care for sidequests. Just took my time exploring the world and enjoying my time lounging around before deciding to save it.

Zing

Banned
That is what I have been doing as well. There was only one quest that I expended any extraordinary effort to complete. I just follow the quest chains and do any in the area. I am not even using outside material to help, so I'm sure I have missed a few quests.

Overside

Banned

Oh really? Why dont you go take a look at guar plains again, I dont think you saw very much of it.

Maybe do some exploring a little north east of Vileria hill.

alvis.exe

That's a good point, does Xenoblade (Wii or 3DS) have a guide?

Pretty sure there's a Japanese guide for both! Never really felt like I needed one though. The most I did was have a map open for unique monster locations and I'd look up NPC locations online if I couldn't remember where to find them for quests.

The art book is lovely though!

Oh really? Why dont you go take a look at guar plains again, I dont think you saw very much of it.

Maybe do some exploring a little north east of Vileria hill.

Hehehehe. I made all my friends explore that area. "You should check out the ruins. There's a quest item there!"

Overside

Banned
Territorial Rotbart would like to have a word with you ;)

Whoa! Whoa! We just want to scare him a little, not kill him!

He should go see if those squirrels playing on the platforms above the lake will let him play in their squirrel games though.

well, if you really explored everything from the beginning of the game, you'd have ran into stuff at Colony 9....just saying

Adamator

That is really surprising to hear this game never had a guide before and still doesn't have one for this new version coming out. Seems it is a game that would definitely benefit from one.

We need Prima to jump on this!

In any case, so looking forward to getting this on Friday, Guide or no guide!

I'm trying to get through the main story of Fantasy Life before it comes Friday. I hadn't played FL since like November but it was pretty easy to pick up again. My only concern with beginning Xenoblade is how LONG I hear it is. I got one hell of a back log and investing into a 60 hour again wont help.

On the other hand, not much coming out for awhile that interests me.

It's disappointing to hear the 3D is kind of meh, but I still hope it looks great otherwise.

MrPanic

Finally got this game today. Is there any way of seeing which monster you need to kill for quest and which not without having to spit through the quest log?

Yeah, I meant the ones needed for all the quests, wise guys. :p

Immovable Gonzales should be a pushover.

The quests are aimed at the level they think you'll be at that point. If you've been doing every quest possible in colony 9 and exploring as much as you can barring areas gated by high level monsters, you'll be overleveled, because the game doesn't really expect you to do everything, and certainly not all at once

Xbro

That is really surprising to hear this game never had a guide before and still doesn't have one for this new version coming out. Seems it is a game that would definitely benefit from one.

I'm trying to get through the main story of Fantasy Life before it comes Friday. I hadn't played FL since like November but it was pretty easy to pick up again. My only concern with beginning Xenoblade is how LONG I hear it is. I got one hell of a back log and investing into a 60 hour again wont help.

It's disappointing to hear the 3D is kind of meh, but I still hope it looks great otherwise.

Oh don't worry, it goes beyond 60 hours.

The spreadsheet is the only guide you need, friend!

Xbro

A few things.

For those who are playing for the first time, don't forget to post your reactions to some of the events.

And also I just remembered how much I love the end of battle quotes.

Reyn:
You can't spell 'Rainbow' without Reyn, baby!
Melia:
Dunban, I think you need to have a talk with Reyn.
Dunban:
No no, let's forget this ever happened.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's so great to be playing Xenoblade again. I'm finally out of Gaur Plains and headed towards Colony 6. I got myself lost in a heap of side quests.

Having played through the game before, I was able to do most of the quests pretty quickly, as I remember where to go for most of them. Still, as a fan of MMOs, it's hard not to get sucked into the side quest treadmill again.

Not sure I'll do EVERY side quest this time (there's really no reason to), but I'll probably only move on once I've sufficiently leveled from the quests I'm doing (and if I see a quest, I'll always pick it up).

Top Bottom