• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Velcro Fly

Feel like I'm cheating because I watched much of chuggaaconroy's let's play of this game because I never thought I'd be able to play it so I know much of the story and stuff like that.

Still I've never actually played it and the game is so big I don't recall many sidequests or much exploration.

Excited to use my open Shulk amiibo too.

Can't wait to dive right in though. Going to take my time and enjoy the game. I'm sorta worried that I'm going to be bad at the combat but I don't think it will be so hard that I won't be able to progress.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
An incredibly kind soul on twitter mailed me a shulk amiibo this morning after I spent an hour belly aching about not being able to find one.

Thank you awesome internet person!

What are the odds Best Buy will have copies of this readily available on shelves in the US this Friday?

I usually don't preorder, but if this game will be a limited release or something I might do it for this game.

Overside

Banned
Yeah, I meant the ones needed for all the quests, wise guys. :p

Immovable Gonzales should be a pushover.

You need to decide whether you want to do the story, or seek a challenge.

The story is fun and all, but its very obviously designed to be enjoyable and challenging to the average person who doesnt seek out everything.

For those people, the game has a very specifically designed metagame, that goes, far, far, far beyond anything you see while playing the story.

Dont get too comfortable with your level advantadge, as there is a cap, and enemies that exceed said cap. If you want challenge, thats the way to go.

Feel like I'm cheating because I watched much of chuggaaconroy's let's play of this game because I never thought I'd be able to play it so I know much of the story and stuff like that.

Still I've never actually played it and the game is so big I don't recall many sidequests or much exploration.

Excited to use my open Shulk amiibo too.

Can't wait to dive right in though. Going to take my time and enjoy the game. I'm sorta worried that I'm going to be bad at the combat but I don't think it will be so hard that I won't be able to progress.

at least now you know that you only need all landmarks+locations to fill out a map! :p

ramyeon

It's happening again, I'm getting sucked into doing sidequests again. Just started trying to get Colony 9 up to 2 and a half stars and now I'm up to that with both Colony 9 and Central Bionis :/ starting to feel like I'm going to be overlevelled soon. But I just can't stop!

It's happening again, I'm getting sucked into doing sidequests again. Just started trying to get Colony 9 up to 2 and a half stars and now I'm up to that with both Colony 9 and Central Bionis :/ starting to feel like I'm going to be overlevelled soon. But I just can't stop!

I am having that same problem. The sidequests are addicting..

HIR0

This game is kicking my ass.
I'm trying to fight the Mechon
that has Juju
Whenever I get into a boss fight it takes me like 3 or 4 attempts.

I'm letting Reyn take all the aggro but he dies quickly despite my attempts to protect him.
Any tips for a Xenoblade newcomer?

Rich!

This game is kicking my ass.
I'm trying to fight the Mechon
that has Juju
Whenever I get into a boss fight it takes me like 3 or 4 attempts.

I'm letting Reyn take all the aggro but he dies quickly despite my attempts to protect him.
Any tips for a Xenoblade newcomer?

Is it Xord? Don't fight him, fight the mechon around him to build your party gauge. then break and topple. Repeat.

HIR0

Is it Xord? Don't fight him, fight the mechon around him to build your party gauge. then break and topple. Repeat.

I beat the first fight with him by taking out his tentacles and then him.
But the second fight I can't even scratch him.
I keep dying within a minute it's crazy.

Edit: its not Xord. It's the first boss when you get Sharla in your party. Mechon M71

CassSept

The 3ds version does have 3 times the ram to fill when booting from rom than the wii version, 256Mb as opposed to a 24Mb cache and a 64 Mb Cache.

Jesus Christ, I remember Wii was weak, but 88 MB of ram? My 1998 was only slightly weaker (at 64 MB I believe). How the hell did Monolith pull Xenoblade off. That's some unholy magic at work.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I beat the first fight with him by taking out his tentacles and then him.
But the second fight I can't even scratch him.
I keep dying within a minute it's crazy.

Edit: its not Xord. It's the first boss when you get Sharla in your party. Mechon M71

Do you have Reyn's heavy armor skill?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The 3ds version does have 3 times the ram to fill when booting from rom than the wii version, 256Mb as opposed to a 24Mb cache and a 64 Mb Cache.
What I'm wondering about is what it is that prevented them from using the original textures. Texture quality in 3ds is absolutely awful across the board and a huge step down from Wii.

Putosaure

What I'm wondering about is what it is that prevented them from using the original textures. Texture quality in 3ds is absolutely awful across the board and a huge step down from Wii.

Maybe because... Wii has 27MB of VRAM, and n3DS only has 10MB ?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Maybe because... Wii has 27MB of VRAM, and n3DS only has 10MB ?
Only 10mb? For some reason I thought it had increased. :-/ Strange decision considering how much memory the system has as a whole. Surely it wouldn't have driven up costs that much.

magnetic

I don't like the design of Shulk at all, he looks so... deformed, he has eyes like a toad. So far he is the typical bland main character guy, middle of the road type of trope.

Reyn is really cool, I usually don't like the token "good - natured hunk" stereotype, but his voice really works. "Lez not louse our hez, dough!"

I just met
Sharla
and really love her design, the art style with the somewhat sharp noses works on her. I like playing her as well. It's great to just support the other two from a distance.

So far it's a nice mix of very classic JRPG elements and then parts that really stand out, like the huge open world and the complete lack of annoying item management (potions and stuff). It's especially nice right now since I just took a break from 100 hours on Monster Hunter and am really burnt out on constantly micromanaging items - Xenoblade makes everything so easy.

So far it's just what I wanted: A sprawling hangout game with almost no real risks and just a ton of places to discover. The perfect chillout game!

jorgejjvr

I don't like the design of Shulk at all, he looks so... deformed, he has eyes like a toad. So far he is the typical bland main character guy, middle of the road type of trope.

Reyn is really cool, I usually don't like the token "good - natured hunk" stereotype, but his voice really works. "Lez not louse our hez, dough!"

I just met
Sharla
and really love her design, the art style with the somewhat sharp noses works on her. I like playing her as well. It's great to just support the other two from a distance.
If you are anything like me, you will love shulk by the end of all this

TheMoon

Whoa! Whoa! We just want to scare him a little, not kill him!

He should go see if those squirrels playing on the platforms above the lake will let him play in their squirrel games though.

Speak for yourself! Doubters must be silenced! :p

My only concern with beginning Xenoblade is how LONG I hear it is. I got one hell of a back log and investing into a 60 hour again wont help.

Oh don't worry. It's not a 60 hour game. It's a 100+ hour game. ;)

HIR0

Do you have Reyn's heavy armor skill?

Not yet. I put him under the Diligence skill branch.
I don't have heavy armour to equip him with.

Just grinded my way to level 19, I was lvl 15 the first time I fight Mechon M71.
Found some equipment that was better than what I had previously.

Velcro Fly

My Best Buy preorder is "preparing"! Usually means it will ship either today or tomorrow for arrival on friday!

Between that and the Master's this weekend my life is set.

JimPanzer

lol 60 hours for xenoblade

okay speedrunner

hm I'm on my first playthrough and sitting at 25 hours and I've just finished
the tomb with melia's trial
. Heard people say that's around 40-50% of the story, so 60 hours for completion doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Mind that I give a fuck about the sidequests as I almost gave up on the game because of them.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so the courier supposedly rang yesterday, then today, and it happened in the bloody 45 minutes window i wasn't home....twice

9t1kgirehjg9.gif

Xbro

hm I'm on my first playthrough and sitting at 25 hours and I've just finished
the tomb with melia's trial
. Heard people say that's around 40-50% of the story, so 60 hours for completion doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Mind that I give a fuck about the sidequests as I almost gave up on the game because of them.

That is about 30% actually.
Prison Island
is about a third of the way through the game.

And make sure you give your thoughts when you get there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That is about 30% actually.
Prison Island
is about a third of the way through the game.

And make sure you give your thoughts when you get there.

Not sure I agree with a third,
Valak Mountain
generally seems to be the halfway point, which is right after what you mentioned.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I always considered
Galahad Fortress/The Fallen Arm
to be the halfway point.

There's only like 5 areas after that (
Mechonis Field, Central Factory, Agniratha, Bionis Interior, Prison Island redux
), and all of them are linear or kind of small compared to the earlier maps.

If you include side/optional content available as you progress through the game, the halfway point could arguably be even earlier. There aren't as many quests in the later parts of the game, excluding post-game stuff.

fred

Lol no. Lower resolution and some textures. that's it.

This is a without a doubt the most impressive console to handheld port I have ever played. Literally identical to the Wii version apart from those two things above. The game is as it ever was, and the frame rate is rock solid throughout. I'm constantly in awe it is running on a 3DS, especially in locations where you can see for miles and miles and miles. And with no fog or slowdown.

It is still one of the greatest RPGs ever made and is just as good as the Wii version. Buy it.

This ^^^

I've absolutely no idea how they managed to squeeze this game into the Wii and the New 3DS. The game is bloomin HUUUUUGE and there are pretty much no loading times to speak of. It's a technical marvel as far as I'm concerned. Very impressive.

Started the game on Wii twice and never made it out of the first town. 3DS will give me the flexibility I need to actually make progress. Wish me luck bros.

There's only like 5 areas after that (
Mechonis Field, Central Factory, Agniratha, Bionis Interior, Prison Island redux
), and all of them are linear or kind of small compared to the earlier maps.

If you include side/optional content available as you progress through the game, the halfway point could arguably be even earlier. There aren't as many quests in the later parts of the game, excluding post-game stuff.

It really depends also when they're going to pursue side quests. It's more efficient to save even early side quests for after you've leveled up (but before they expire), that way you can take care of the level 5 enemies and level 80 enemies all at the same time, and do so quickly. If you do include post-game stuff (and we should if we're talking about side quests) there's certainly a ton of content on the back end of the game.

In a typical playthrough, you're correct though. In a standard run with light sidequesting and moderate pacing it should run about 80 hours, and end up around level 80 at the end, so I've always found a good way to figure out your place in the game is just to look at your level or the level of most monsters in an area.
Prison Island
enemies are about level 40, so 50% sounds about right.

Top Bottom