• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Just going to note that they fixed the auto-attack bug in the 3D version.

Well, now I have absolutely NO regrets selling my PS3 for an n3DS. Xenoblade with the occasional bugs patched out makes this so worth it.

Though of course shame on Nintendo on shipping the Wii with subpar online infrastructure in the first place.

That said... Cleverbot has NO knowledge of Xenoblade. Anyone bored over the next few days want to help me fix that problem?

TDLink

That would have been fantastic, especially since the version that shipped with the game was completely traversable - aside from a few dummy treasure chests and a duplicate cave that had to be removed, it would have been a fantastic bonus area as is. Especially given how effortless everything is on NG+, it would have been great to be given access to that area with appropriately leveled postgame enemies.

Yeah its a bit of a missed opportunity to make a great game even better. Plus I could have seen many more double dipping if it was included.

Xbro

Well, now I have absolutely NO regrets selling my PS3 for an n3DS. Xenoblade with the occasional bugs patched out makes this so worth it.

Though of course shame on Nintendo on shipping the Wii with subpar online infrastructure in the first place.

That said... Cleverbot has NO knowledge of Xenoblade. Anyone bored over the next few days want to help me fix that problem?

I'm currently on commission to build a program, but when I finish this I'll help you out there.

Overside

Banned
Should I play this version or play my Wii copy in Dolphin?

Do you want a portable version of the game, at 240p, with shallow 3d, or do you want to sit at your computer and play the game in HD with a redone HD texture pack?

Its the same fantastic game either way.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do you want a portable version of the game, at 240p, with shallow 3d, or do you want to sit at your computer and play the game in HD with a redone HD texture pack?

Its the same fantastic game either way.

Had a look, and the texture pack looks like it has improved a ton since I last saw it. The character portraits still seem kind of questionable though.

Might try it out when I start my replay.

Edit: And some of it still looks like someone just took a sharpening filter to some textures and looks really bad, unless those are just old screens.

Soul Lab

Edit:
It starts from the Pollen Orb Ingredients quest, but ties in with the quests from Daza near Colony 6, and the quests with Zazadan in Satorl Marsh. I thought there was also a tie in with some Alcamoth quests, but maybe not.

seems like the quest doesn't progy yet
I reached Erith Sea now. Maybe I need to do some quests to get stars?

Overside

Banned
Had a look, and the texture pack looks like it has improved a ton since I last saw it. The character portraits still seem kind of questionable though.

Might try it out when I start my replay.

The character portraits probably arent going to improve much, they are just taken from other cleaner higher res media than the ones included on disc, chosen to hopefully look like a good fit for the current tension level (its not really... working, there is only so much to choose from...). I really dont think anyones going to try and redraw those, and you can only clean them up so much. And yeah, some of the textures are still just upressed and sharpened, some havent been improved yet.... Its... A big game.

But if you know anyone who might be able to do something, or even upscale and then redraw the original tension portraits well enough to work, it would be super appreciated.

Glix

So fucking pumped.

Gamestop told me they should be getting them on Thur, so they should be there first thing Fri morning.

Can't fucking wait.

User: BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE!
Cleverbot: I could help.
User: AGAINST THE ODDS!
Cleverbot: What did Thor do?
User: WE CHOOSE TO FIGHT!
Cleverbot: Let's fight then.
User: BLOSSOM DANCE!
Cleverbot: Because I don't dance?
User: Amateurish.
Cleverbot: Ik pro! Jij amateur.​

Well I tried

The character portraits probably arent going to improve much, they are just taken from other cleaner higher res media than the ones included on disc, chosen to hopefully look like a good fit for the current tension level (its not really... working, there is only so much to choose from...). I really dont think anyones going to try and redraw those, and you can only clean them up so much. And yeah, some of the textures are still just upressed and sharpened, some havent been improved yet.... Its... A big game.

But if you know anyone who might be able to do something, or even upscale and then redraw the original tension portraits well enough to work, it would be super appreciated.
Not gonna lie, the Tension portraits are like my biggest issue with the HD texture pack everyone and their grandmother recommends. The rest looks decent enough, it's just replacing those specific-purpose portraits with stock art of the characters never sat well with me.

Honestly, to the guys asking if they should get this or the Wii version...

I say this version. A major bug in the mechanics got fixed, AND this version will actually exist in the wild. Good luck finding a Wii copy.

Anyway, as a curiosity... Why was Nintendo so cagey about giving Xenoblade a western release in the first place after going through the trouble of giving it an E3 showing back in 2009? I mean, just an opinion, but if not for that FF7 PS3 demo, that would have been the Tease of the Generation if Xenoblade didn't get a western release.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I say this version. A major bug in the mechanics got fixed, AND this version will actually exist in the wild. Good luck finding a Wii copy.

Anyway, as a curiosity... Why was Nintendo so cagey about giving Xenoblade a western release in the first place after going through the trouble of giving it an E3 showing back in 2009? I mean, just an opinion, but if not for that FF7 PS3 demo, that would have been the Tease of the Generation if Xenoblade didn't get a western release.

They didn't really give it an "E3 showing." It was quietly slipped into their press pack and never publicly mentioned by Nintendo at the show at all. In fact, outside of that initial trailer, I don't think any western Nintendo branch did anything for the game prior to the lead up to the PAL release. They never treated it as a significant release.

Not sure about elsewhere, but the trailer also got some mixed reactions here. I remember a lot of people were talking about how ugly it was and whatnot. They did a poor job demonstrating the game's strengths in the reveal trailer so maybe a combination of the less than stellar reception and lack of faith in the Wii's audience to buy the game that led to them eventually deciding to drop it (then subsequently picking it back up after it did decent in Europe, plus fan outcry).

Crisium

What bug? I didn't see anything in the OP.

Edit: Ok, Auto-Attack bug. I didn't even know that existed in my Dolphin playthrough. I wish I did, because sometimes I sacrificed other things for a high auto attack range. I wonder if its patchable on Dolphin?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Edit: Ok, Auto-Attack bug. I didn't even know that existed in my Dolphin playthrough. I wish I did, because sometimes I sacrificed other things for a high auto attack range. I wonder if its patchable on Dolphin?

I looked around earlier and didn't see anything. It's probably possible though considering how crazy some of the codes out there are.

TheMoon

God damnit, the one time someone actually checks the OP for info and I haven't added it yet. Universe, why are you doing this to me!!! *shakesfist*

Wait, who confirmed that the damage glitch was actually fixed?

alvis.exe

Ehhh I'm not sure if the auto attack bug is that big a deal considering how most people wouldn't even notice it and how minor slightly higher damage is in the grand scheme of things. I'll take my Haste gems and double attack auto crit heal over that any day ;)

ZeroX03

Banned
God damnit, the one time someone actually checks the OP for info and I haven't added it yet. Universe, why are you doing this to me!!! *shakesfist*

You could add that the game has a pretty extensive tutorial section that has some stuff the game doesn't tell you naturally. Good for people who want to learn a non-Shulk character.

TheMoon

Added the bit about the bug to the OP

Ehhh I'm not sure if the auto attack bug is that big a deal considering how most people wouldn't even notice it and how minor higher auto attack damage is in the grand scheme of things. I'll take my Haste gems and double attack auto crit heal over that any day ;)

Yea it's definitely not a major thing. I didn't even know this was a thing until this news hit. :)

You could add that the game has a pretty extensive tutorial section that has some stuff the game doesn't tell you naturally. Good for people who want to learn a non-Shulk character.

Thanks, I'll point that out in the beginner section.

Honestly I say this as an oldschool RPG gamer from the days when Wizardry was still a firmly western game before it went to Japan and never came back - Any bug in an RPG where the player is receiving misleading information about their stats from the UI is major.

So pardon my bias.

I mean, I'm a guy who's paranoid as fuck from Fire Emblem's hit/crit chance calculations which don't seem to really be quite in sync with the percentages presented by the UI.

Ehhh I'm not sure if the auto attack bug is that big a deal considering how most people wouldn't even notice it and how minor higher auto attack damage is in the grand scheme of things. I'll take my Haste gems and double attack auto crit heal over that any day ;)

the auto attack bug actually affects damage for everything, since arts scale off of it (at least the ones that aren't fixed damage)

that being said, none of the characters' best weapons has a damage range of over 100, so eh whatever

Honestly I say this as an oldschool RPG gamer from the days when Wizardry was still a firmly western game before it went to Japan and never came back - Any bug in an RPG where the player is receiving misleading information about their stats from the UI is major.

So pardon my bias.

I mean, I'm a guy who's paranoid as fuck from Fire Emblem's hit/crit chance calculations which don't seem to really be quite in sync with the percentages presented by the UI.

crit chance is exactly what is displayed? for true hit in FE6-13 see here

Velcro Fly

I don't mind sidequests. Sometimes you only want to play for 30-45 minutes and blasting through a couple sidequests is it. Being able to save anywhere and fast travel makes it almost painless for someone that can only put heavy time in a game over the weekend.

TheMoon

I don't mind sidequests. Sometimes you only want to play for 30-45 minutes and blasting through a couple sidequests is it. Being able to save anywhere and fast travel makes it almost painless for someone that can only put heavy time in a game over the weekend.

In my original Wii playthrough, I spent about a week just catching up on some sidequests when I was about at the halfway point of the game. Just to revisit old locations again or explore every last corner of the maps. That's why I never got those people complaining about them. I loved that they gave me a reason to go EVERYWHERE in this gorgeous, gigantic world.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope NA gets the Xenoblade theme.

I think someone posted earlier that they are releasing on the 9th

In my original Wii playthrough, I spent about a week just catching up on some sidequests when I was about at the halfway point of the game. Just to revisit old locations again or explore every last corner of the maps. That's why I never got those people complaining about them. I loved that they gave me a reason to go EVERYWHERE in this gorgeous, gigantic world.

But did you go everywhere ?

Went into this blind and am really impressed right now. The graphics are complete ass, even for a 3DS game, but the design and cinematography are awe inspiring. The opening, with the two giants, machine war and the reveal that the world the characters are living on are the corpses of said giants was easily the most memorable opening I've seen in a game in years.

I don't have this game or plan on getting it (didn't really like the Wii version), but I just had to come in to say that this thread's title makes me laugh every time I see it. Good job, whoever came up with it.

Xbro

Went into this blind and am really impressed right now. The graphics are complete ass, even for a 3DS game, but the design and cinematography are awe inspiring. The opening, with the two giants, machine war and the reveal that the world the characters are living on are the corpses of said giants was easily the most memorable opening I've seen in a game in years.

There really is nothing like going in blind.

Overside

Banned
BTW... How's the 3D effect?

To go beyond the 'almost nonexistant' responses (they arent wrong, just not very informative)

My guess for the trick blade3d is using appears to be 3 tiered, and goes like this:

1. The immediate foreground is full 3d, both depth and roundness, albeit shallow (think normal games with the slider only a third of the way up) This goes for about 10-20 meters maybe?

2. Past the first tier, it looks like the game only renders/rasterizes one viewpoint, and uses the z data to decide how far apart the left/right parts go. So you get depth, but no roundness. Like cardboard cutouts set at varying distances. This goes about 1000 meters? (Judging from on top of colony 9s cylinder hangers.)

3. Anything past this appears to be put on one raster layer that is pushed all the way back to the furthest the depth goes.

I'm not a huge fan of jrpgs, not out of choice necessarily, but because I didn't play many of them during my upbringing. I have played a few, just not many.

What would be the closest comparison to this game? Even if I haven't played the game you answer, maybe I've seen or read something about it to help me.

Trying to go in blind with Xenoblade on the chance I do eventually get to play it .. so all I'd like to know is what it's most closely related to and not much else.

I'm not a huge fan of jrpgs, not out of choice necessarily, but because I didn't play many of them during my upbringing. I have played a few, just not many.

What would be the closest comparison to this game? Even if I haven't played the game you answer, maybe I've seen or read something about it to help me.

Trying to go in blind with Xenoblade on the chance I do eventually get to play it .. so all I'd like to know is what it's most closely related to and not much else.

Well it's combat is pretty much original. It feels like a single player MMO in the "countless kill X monsters or get X loot sidequests" but you can ignore those. So in other words... don't really know what to compare it to.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've always hated describing the game as a single player MMO. It makes the game sound a lot worse and monotonous than it really is, but I suppose that's my dislike of most MMOs kicking in.

Top Bottom