• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Rich!

Replaying this has been such a joy. Another thing about Xenoblade that people don't mention enough is how well done the cutscene direction is. Monolith did a good job at making sure the player was hyped at every major moment.

Its the music too man

As soon as you hear that piano riff that starts "confrontation with the enemy", you know shit is gonna go down

Kito

It's very poor that they just tell you lots of information instead of getting you to practice, no one is going to remember those mini essays. I'm finding the battle system difficult and pathetically keep dying at the hands of a Singing Brog.

Yarbskoo

It's very poor that they just tell you lots of information instead of getting you to practice, no one is going to remember those mini essays. I'm finding the battle system difficult and pathetically keep dying at the hands of a Singing Brog.

You could try rereading one of those mini essays in the tutorials menu and then spend an hour or two putting that knowledge into practice before moving onto the next one. That's what I did.

Renewed

Any chance this will be rare down the line? I won't be buying a new 3ds for a while but don't want to miss out on this.

Even if it is, there's still the eShop. But I could imagine a similar situation to something like Fire Emblem Awakening where copies couldn't be found for a few weeks.

In other news, Nintendo uploaded 5 videos for The Music of Xenoblade 3D (the songs we heard back from the Xenoblade 3D presentation at the end of March). Also mentioned that Gaur Plains and the main theme can be heard in the 3DS themes that'll go up tomorrow. (not gonna lie, when they said now available I panicked and checked the theme shop...)

Aracarn

Anyone know if Nintendo is doing a midnight (US) release on the eshop for this? I'm hoping I can play it on the train to work on Friday..

Kama_1082

Banned
Oh well, just get that money back from gamestop. Or save it for RoninChaos.

:)

I'm gonna open the one from gamestop to play asap and return the amazon one back to GS and put it towards Mortal Kombat. It's isn;t the first time it's happened and the wife isn't amused ;_;

ramyeon

Huh? After every tutorial they put you into a fight where you use what you learned, after that you should be constantly putting it into practice in other encounters. You can always go back and re-read the tutorials as well.

CassSept

Its the music too man

As soon as you hear that piano riff that starts "confrontation with the enemy", you know shit is gonna go down

Hah, yes. When I played it every time I heard that ominous ambiance followed by piano I sat straight up and got giddy that something is happening.

Honestly I don't think I would have enjoyed this game as much if it wasn't for the soundtrack, it would still be a great game but the ost really elevates it.

TheMoon

In other news, Nintendo uploaded 5 videos for The Music of Xenoblade 3D (the songs we heard back from the Xenoblade 3D presentation at the end of March). Also mentioned that Gaur Plains and the main theme can be heard in the 3DS themes that'll go up tomorrow. (not gonna lie, when they said now available I panicked and checked the theme shop...)

Those same videos have been linked in the OP since day-1 btw.

delaneya

Man , I want this game but i have spent loads this month on: splatoon pre order, Pokemon, box boy, gunvolt, new external for wii u, bloodborne ,borderlands and Chrono trigger. Don't think my wallet can take another hit.

And am not sure sure if ill like it or not. I should do.

Tanwo

With the release of the 3DS version, I’m considering finally starting my still unplayed Wii version of Xenoblade. But I find the length (I’ve read that it can take about 100 hours) a bit daunting for me. I usually try to complete all the sidequests, but as I see on the OP it may not be a good idea in this game, at least for a beginner.
So, without all the sidequests, is this game really that long?

ZeroX03

Banned
With the release of the 3DS version, I’m considering finally starting my still unplayed Wii version of Xenoblade. But I find the length (I’ve read that it can take about 100 hours) a bit daunting for me. I usually try to complete all the sidequests, but as I see on the OP it may not be a good idea in this game, at least for a beginner.

For a newcomer you're still probably looking at 50+ hours.

TheMoon

You misunderstood. It doesn't say you're not supposed to do sidequests, it says you're not supposed to obsess about them, meaning not go "oh I still have 20 quests in this area before I can move on." You're supposed to accept everything you come across and you'll complete whatever you complete through natural play and exploration.

I'm about 80 hours in. In retrospect, I should've made an effort to complete the timed quests. Otherwise don't think about it. Only go out of your way if you find yourself underleveled for the boss, IMO.

I'm about 80 hours in. In retrospect, I should've made an effort to complete the timed quests. Otherwise don't think about it. Only go out of your way if you find yourself underleveled for the boss, IMO.

I wouldn't feel too bad about missing the timed quests, I find it much more enjoyable to go for a questing playthrough in New Game+. There's quite a few timed quests anyway, taking care of them all on your first run before they expire would really slow down the late game when the story is getting really good.

Ohnonono

Still not sure about this one. So much stuff I am playing but I don't want to miss out on what seems like a good game because of supply bullshit.

HIR0

Holyyy fuck this game is frustrating for me :mad:
I'm at Xord now.
Every boss fight is like a test of how long I can extend the amount of time I have to live.
Sharla ko's within 20-30 secs and from there I'm fucked.
How do you quickly fill up the party gauge to break and topple this guy coz arts with bonus effects fill up a small amount.

edit: i beat him.. i think XD

Maiar_m

About 10h in, probably a bit less. The plains were awesome to chart through, so huge and full of monsters way too strong for my level 24 party. Getting chased by that huge bird on top of the observation platform down the tunnel and getting insta-killed... Loved it.

I'm not really doing the side quests. Sometimes when I feel like going back to Col6 (or is it 9? The place where you start) to forge gems and I complete a few quests around here for a change of pace, but that's about it. I talk to everyone and accept everything, but I rarely do much (I did the loan shark and broken watch ones, that's about it). The game's story seems enough to entertain and fighting the once OS-sure-death monsters is motivation enough to come back to earlier places. I wish the "teleporting" system worked better though. To get back to Dunban's house for instance, why can't I just switch to that place? I have to switch to all the intermediate places up to that one. That's a drag.

The resolution and textures make me wish I was playing it on Dolphin / Wii though. It's all nice and I love finding the big vistas, but sometimes (mostly in fights) it's really just a pixel soup.

Fandangox

Holyyy fuck this game is frustrating for me :mad:
I'm at Xord now.
Every boss fight is like a test of how long I can extend the amount of time I have to live.
Sharla ko's within 20-30 secs and from there I'm fucked.
How do you quickly fill up the party gauge to break and topple this guy coz arts with bonus effects fill up a small amount.

You fill the party gauge by correctly using the ARTs positional bonuses. i.e Back Slash on someone's back, Stream Edge's on someone Side, dazing a topple'd enemy, etc.

If you are having trouble you could switch control to Reyn (uif you aren't controlling him already) have him aggro up all the enemy attacks so Sharla doesn't die.

Also what level are you on? I think I was on around level 26 there but I've been doing all the side quests and filling my maps in 100% to get the area discovery bonuses.

HIR0

Whew, I just beat him.
Thankfully, you only need to break and topple chain him once.
There were 3 or 4 i attempts where I died within 30-40 seconds.
I'm level 25.

What do you mean by this?

I think he's talking about how many of the points of interest and named areas aren't necessarily landmarks, so he has to travel to other areas first before he can trek over to , say, Dunban's house.

In the game's defense, I think if every point of interest had a landmark to teleport to, the landmark list would be a bit too large for convenient navigation.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the "teleporting" system worked better though. To get back to Dunban's house for instance, why can't I just switch to that place? I have to switch to all the intermediate places up to that one. That's a drag.

Use the map from the menu for the full map, you can go anywhere from there. The button for the map is just a shortcut to the current area.

So here's a question guys: I have the Wii version, and am about halfway through, but am finding it difficult to find time to play it on my Wii U. I feel like I might have a better time playing the 3DS version, but am wondering if there are any notable changes to the game that might dissuade me. Do the controls work well? Are the graphics "good enough"? Is there any reason I should just make myself finish the Wii version?

Top Bottom