• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

So here's a question guys: I have the Wii version, and am about halfway through, but am finding it difficult to find time to play it on my Wii U. I feel like I might have a better time playing the 3DS version, but am wondering if there are any notable changes to the game that might dissuade me. Do the controls work well? Are the graphics "good enough"? Is there any reason I should just make myself finish the Wii version?

I spent about 50 hours on the Wii version and then stopped for some reason. I never got around to finish it, so I decided to get the 3DS version. It's a perfect port, really. Sure, the resolution is lower, but other than that it's exactly the same (at least how I remember it to be). The controls are great (exactly the same as using a classic controller on the Wii version) and I think it fits perfectly on a portable. Just close the lid and continue whenever.

Renewed

Xenoblade themes ;-;

It's a shame the song can't go on to the end, but if I wanted to listen to the main theme I could just boot up the game.... which better be here tomorrow.

I spent about 50 hours on the Wii version and then stopped for some reason. I never got around to finish it, so I decided to get the 3DS version. It's a perfect port, really. Sure, the resolution is lower, but other than that it's exactly the same (at least how I remember it to be). The controls are great (exactly the same as using a classic controller on the Wii version) and I think it fits perfectly on a portable. Just close the lid and continue whenever.

Hrm. Yeah just went and looked at a comparison, and it certainly looks like all the textures you'd be looking at are the same (was mainly worried about the characters), and the lower resolution actually probably helps some, with it being native resolution, and hiding some textures anyway. I'll probably get it after I finally finish Kid Icarus.

depward

Maybe I fudged up? Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me.

I pre-ordered this on the eShop. First eShop pre-order ever. Reason why I did was that I read you could "preload" the game with a code that comes within 72 hours of the game releasing and then download a small little update at midnight EST and get playing.

Sounded good to me!

In fact, on my email receipt it states that codes will start being sent 72 hours in advance.

No code yet.

Checking the FAQ page, it seems like 3DS games also get this same treatment. But then I started reading and heard that it's only WiiU games that allow a preload.

Sooo basically - what's the answer here? Anyone ever pre-order a 3DS game on the eShop? Do they allow preloading?

Renewed

Question: I know we can transfer save data from a physical cart of a game to a digital copy but can the reverse happen? If i buy digital will a physical cart have access to that save data as well?

You actually can't move a digital save over to a physical one. If only saves weren't tied to the cart! (then again, it was useful for my brother when he wanted to try out Majora's Mask on my n3DS)

Doombear

As do I and yes it is. Imported two of them actually because I stupidly snapped a tiny piece of plastic off the first one, and it no longer kept the 3DS in place. Love it.

TheMoon

Maybe I fudged up? Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me.
I pre-ordered this on the eShop. First eShop pre-order ever. Reason why I did was that I read you could "preload" the game with a code that comes within 72 hours of the game releasing and then download a small little update at midnight EST and get playing.
Sounded good to me! In fact, on my email receipt it states that codes will start being sent 72 hours in advance. No code yet.
Checking the FAQ page, it seems like 3DS games also get this same treatment. But then I started reading and heard that it's only WiiU games that allow a preload.

Sooo basically - what's the answer here? Anyone ever pre-order a 3DS game on the eShop? Do they allow preloading?

No preload on 3ds.

The Japanese release for Code Name STEAM is the first 3DS game to support preload.

wiibomb

I just saw my game was delivered from amazon some hours ago..

a shame that I have to wait until it arrives to my country :/

Well, any suggestions here on how to make it through the next 24 hours sane? I can't believe we're this close to gouging-free Xenoblade.

DagsJT

I've got £25 in eShop credit. Do I buy this direct off the store, use the credit and pay £15 as it's £39.99 on the store? Or do I buy the download from game and only pay £35 but pay the full amount?

Decisions.

I wouldn't feel too bad about missing the timed quests, I find it much more enjoyable to go for a questing playthrough in New Game+. There's quite a few timed quests anyway, taking care of them all on your first run before they expire would really slow down the late game when the story is getting really good.

I'm mostly regretting not keeping up with the
Colony 6 restoration
. A lot of the materials are really inconvenient to get if you get past a certain point in the story.

Speaking o New Game+, what's it like? Do you retain all Arts/Armor/Currency etc.? Can you skip cutscenes?

Fandangox

Colony 6 restoration
. A lot of the materials are really inconvenient to get if you get past a certain point in the story.

Speaking o New Game+, what's it like? Do you retain all Arts/Armor/Currency etc.? Can you skip cutscenes?

I don't remember if you can skip cutscenes, but you can transfer a number (forgot how much) of each type of armor, and gems. I think money transfers over. Plus anything you had equipped on when you finished the game.

TheMoon

Colony 6 restoration

You can skip cutscenes in the normal game already, iirc. You keep your level and you keep all the items that you select to be carried over after the credits (a menu pops up informing you about this).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm going into this game pretty much blind. No Wii to play the previous release. I should be good here right? Nothing to confusing, etc.

I mean, I have played JRPGs before.

nakedeyes

Banned
So I'm going into this game pretty much blind. No Wii to play the previous release. I should be good here right? Nothing to confusing, etc.

You know its a remake and not a sequel right?

Shouldn't need to know anything else since its stand alone and will be the first in a series of future games.

I don't remember if you can skip cutscenes, but you can transfer a number (forgot how much) of each type of armor, and gems. I think money transfers over. Plus anything you had equipped on when you finished the game.

You can skip cutscenes in the normal game already, iirc. You keep your level and you keep all the items that you select to be carried over after the credits (a menu pops up informing you about this).

Very nice. One last question, do the enemies--or at least the bosses--scale to your level? Otherwise I imagine most of the gameplay will revolve around those OP level 99+ enemies.

Awesome; thanks! :)

Was about to order it via 2-day shipping, saw that it would arrive Monday, said "fuck it" and paid the extra $3.99 for 1-day shipping. Don't want to spend the entire weekend without it. :) Looking forward to Monster Hunter not cramping my hands.

JCX

Do not get hung up on sidequests, it can burn you out. Just enjoy the ride, and use NG+ to complete them if you want.

TheMoon

You know its a remake and not a sequel right?

Shouldn't need to know anything else since its stand alone and will be the first in a series of future games.

It's a port, not a remake.

Very nice. One last question, do the enemies--or at least the bosses--scale to your level? Otherwise I imagine most of the gameplay will revolve around those OP level 99+ enemies.

Enemy levels do not scale. You'll slaughter everything until you get to the open areas and can search out those high level enemies.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So far I think it runs pretty well. I can sit at the outlook and pan the camera around while the city is in view and the framerate holds up.

I went to put my original copy in my Wii (having never played more than 5 minutes) to gauge the differences between the two versions and realized it defaults to widescreen, even on my 4:3 Wega. So I then decided to throw it in my Wii U connected to my HDTV and found out my Wii U doesn't read Wii games. I've barely even used the system since launch. What a piece of shit. /rant

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So far I think it runs pretty well. I can sit at the outlook and pan the camera around while the city is in view and the framerate holds up.

I went to put my original copy in my Wii (having never played more than 5 minutes) to gauge the differences between the two versions and realized it defaults to widescreen, even on my 4:3 Wega. So I then decided to throw it in my Wii U connected to my HDTV and found out my Wii U doesn't read Wii games. I've barely even used the system since launch. What a piece of shit. /rant
That's messed up.

Zing

Banned
I went to put my original copy in my Wii (having never played more than 5 minutes) to gauge the differences between the two versions and realized it defaults to widescreen, even on my 4:3 Wega.
There are several YouTube videos showing the game running side by side during the same scenes. The difference immediately obvious to me is that the 3DS textures are significantly lower resolution.

As for the widescreen thing, this is one of the few games that are natively rendered in 16:9 rather than anamorphic widescreen. Skyward Sword is another prominent game with this quality. I played all my Wii games on a 4:3 CRT until Skyward Sword.

TheMoon

Just to be sure, you do know you need to go into Wii Mode to play Wii games, right?

Yeah you need to boot the system into Wii mode yo.

afroguy10

Spent all morning using my gems trying to get canisters as close to 99 as I could to get higher rank gems. Having so much fun playing through this game again.

jorgejjvr

any picture of the themeS, there's more than 1??

NVM found them, I WANT BOTH THEMES!!!

good thing they have different music, the Majora Mask ones were the same

xenoblade_3ds_themes.jpg

I soooo need this, cant wait for the game tomorrow!!!

jorgejjvr

The themes are so good... Game's almost out. I am starting it to really feel it.

I have the MM moon one, MM gold, MH4 theme, and i want these two (will get when I get home) I have them all on random, they change when you close and open 3ds and when you go to an application and go back. But I think i might just put ONLY the two xenoblade ones on random so they will always appear xD idk hahaha but they look sooooooo good and the music on them are great, love that the two themes have different songs, the two MM had the same, felt burned

Adamator

On those screenshots of the themes, how do you get the icons to be in sort of a circle like they are on the top screen? I've never seen it do that.

JTripper

How's the story in this game? I never played a "Xeno" game but I'm buying this. Heard it was one of the best JRPGs of last gen.

TheMoon

On those screenshots of the themes, how do you get the icons to be in sort of a circle like they are on the top screen? I've never seen it do that.

The answer is in the picture. Select nothing.

How's the story in this game? I never played a "Xeno" game but I'm buying this. Heard it was one of the best JRPGs of last gen.

Read OP, pls. It has links to the OTs for the original release on Wii which has info about story and such.

Etria

Every day I check my letterbox but to no avail. My copy of Xenoblade still hasn't arrived since it shipped on the 1st :O

Serves me right for ordering it online instead of instore ><

TDLink

It's pretty good as far as JRPGs go. The game goes through several arcs and the first half of the game or so is essentially a revenge plot with a main character who doesn't care much about anything else. I found that pretty refreshing. The story of course unravels into a lot of typical stuff you expect from JRPGs but I think it's handled pretty well and I enjoyed the late game twists and turns.

I would also say that in the first half the game focuses much more on exploration and gameplay than the story, so there are some long stretches where the story is essentially "go from point A to point B because reason". However, once the story kicks off it really kicks off.

Top Bottom