• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

B button battle initiations also 'encourages' party members, this means you get the <3 for it: I think the formal name is "Burst Affinity".

First, it raises the character's tension ---- essentially their morale as shown by their battle portrait (they look angrier and, literally, 'fired up'). Tension affects the accuracy of attacks, the amount of damage during chain attacks, and the probability of "critical healing".

Second, it raises affinity between the characters, making it easier to do chain attacks in the future.

And a small third: Affinity can also help when creating Gems (the weapon power-up attachments). More than likely you'll be able to build a quick and budding friendship with Reyn given he's the first and longest staying party member.

So yeah, initiate those battles!

Thank you!

Rich!

Gahhhh

I only need two more Part S items to finish this last quest in Agniritha and then I am done and can proceed...but I've been fighting mechon for hours and not one has turned up. Goddamnit.

Dice//

Banned

If you're still early on in the game, believe me, this doesn't even skim all the later delights (one particularly mechy place, a future battle theme, and Valak Mountain [Night] being some damn fine pieces of gaming music). :)

I definitely think all of Colony 6, be it the town or the field, is perfect (and yeah, you putting the Col 6 Night Theme > Day, even though both are excellent, is a great choice).

alvis.exe

Ok so I'm not a huge RPG player but I bought this because I heard good things. I'm still really early into the game but like it so far. The battles feel like they are really hectic though and a lot going on.

Two things I don't understand when I approach an enemy I can initiate attack, right afterwards it prompts my with a B button and when I do this I feel like my team has a stronger initial attack. Is this better than sneaking up on them and using Shulks behind the back attack? I don't even understand why the game prompts with B to begin with?

Also what is going on when there's a neon colored beam connecting the team?

The initial B button prompt is called Battle Start Affinity. It increases Tension, which increases crit rate among other things. The closer you time your button press to when the lines overlap, the better your initial boost. Same is true for when the B button prompt appears during battle though that will increase Affinity between party members as well as Tension (and is called Burst Affinity).

Neon colored beam means you can do a chain attack. (Aka the neon blue bar on the top left - the Party Gauge - is completely filled. You also use that bar to revive party members and some other things). You can fill the bar during battle by landing critical hits (random, but higher when high Tension and with proper optimization), getting Art bonus effects (ie. Positional bonuses like Back Slash from behind or Slit Edge from the side), and by nailing your Burst Affinities.

In other words, nail your B button prompts!

ilium

awesome, thanks!

If you're still early on in the game, believe me, this doesn't even skim all the later delights (one particularly mechy place, a future battle theme, and Valak Mountain [Night] being some damn fine pieces of gaming music). :)

I definitely think all of Colony 6, be it the town or the field, is perfect (and yeah, you putting the Col 6 Night Theme > Day, even though both are excellent, is a great choice).

The exact moment when i fell in love with this game was when i heard the Col 9 night theme for the first time.

I'm at
Agniratha
which should be close to the end i assume?
Or is there a third Titan showing up: "Explore me too, buddy!"?

Please tell me this game never ends...

TheMoon

Dr. Feel Good, I suggest you check out the Tutorial menu and read-up on the things there. It's all quite brief and uses pictures to illustrate the things going on. That should help in the future if you're confused by something. But in general, everything is documented there and you can re-read those pop-up tutorials there any time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to get rid of the Story Memo icon at the top of the screen? I know how to check the Story Memos, but even after checking it the icon still stays up there.

It shows Story Memo when you aren't in the same area as your current objective for the story. So unless you disable the indicator it will always show one or the other.

Overside

Banned
awesome, thanks!

The exact moment when i fell in love with this game was when i heard the Col 9 night theme for the first time.

I'm at
Agniratha
which should be close to the end i assume?
Or is there a third Titan showing up: "Explore me too, buddy!"?

Please tell me this game never ends...

Sorry, The Monad begets Diads, so no third titan.

On the bright side, you are close, but you arent done yet. Without spoilering anything- Lot of places are going to start opening up for you that were closed off before, and a place that you once saw as one thing in a gameplay context will become something completely different.

You got a lot of new content in old areas coming your way soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, The Monad begets Diads, so no third titan.

On the bright side, you are close, but you arent done yet. Without spoilering anything- Lot of places are going to start opening up for you that were closed off before, and a place that you once saw as one thing in a gameplay context will become something completely different.

You're just trying to trick him, obviously. He is going to love exploring Noponis!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
How's the overall performance? I could tolerate the wii versions, but unsure if this manages to run well despite the downgraded visuals.

Crisium

Plus they don't even tell you about it on the box. Outrageous.

xenobox3dkykwt.png

New. Only for Nintendo 3DS.

It's amazing how Nintendo keeps up these shenanigans. It started with 3DS. Then WiiU. Then 2DS. And they have the gall to call the next one New3DS.

Though it's less understandable for us gaffers who oughta know better. But for the pubs I understand.

Rich!

Looooll

Spoilers:

fighting Gadolt. Killed one of his defence mechon, sharla levels up and shouts "gadolt, I wish you could see me", gadolt then kills her and then she says " uh...gadolt"

TheMoon

and a place that you once saw as one thing in a gameplay context will become something completely different.

Man I finished the game but I don't even know (or remember) what you're referring to lol.

TheMoon

It's amazing how Nintendo keeps up these shenanigans. It started with 3DS. Then WiiU. Then 2DS. And they have the gall to call the next one New3DS.

Though it's less understandable for us gaffers who oughta know better. But for the pubs I understand.

How's the overall performance? I could tolerate the wii versions, but unsure if this manages to run well despite the downgraded visuals.

Can't accept this. You have to be really dense to read it this way. You can't possibly be interested in this game and but this stupid to not know how to read this labeling.

Covered in the very first point of the FAQ in the OP. Please read.

Prison Island. After it sinks into the Bionis and gets all hardcore in the process.

Ooooh! lol

Overside

Banned

The performance is pretty identical to wii's, and if they had used a larger cartridge size, we wouldnt have those crushed textures or dropped the japanese voice track either. either.

Ether crystal deposits look hilariously bad though, I think they forgot about them.

On the bright side, they could remedy both of those via downloadable packs... But on the downside... They wont.

Overside

Banned
Prison Island. After it sinks into the Bionis and gets all hardcore in the process.

Nope, the content of that area changes, but the context remains the same. But its good to know im definately not spoiling anything for newcomers by keeping my wording vague and mysterious.

Overside

Banned
I wouldn't go that far, especially after all the hype, but it's pretty good. Probably the best JRPG from last gen, but that's not saying much to be honest.

Its been over a decade since a game was designed like this. So if you were one of the people who were huge fans of jrpgs during the snes generation, but couldnt stand the design shift post ffvii success once the sparkle of fmv wore off, this game was more than amazing.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Its been over a decade since a game was designed like this. So if you were one of the people who were huge fans of jrpgs during the snes generation, but couldnt stand the design shift post ffvii success once the sparkle of fmv wore off, this game was more than amazing.
I was one of those people, but I still wouldn't call it more than amazing. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, just that it's nowhere near "greatest JRPG of all time", which is something I see it labeled quite frequently. It's the best JRPG on consoles since Lost Odyssey sure, but I've played JRPGs on handhelds that I've enjoyed more than Xenoblade since FFVII. Radiant Historia for example.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't think of any others not named Radiant Historia. I'm not counting P4 since it was on the PS2 first.

giphy.gif

It's your fault if you read from top to bottom instead of left to right like a normal English speaker.

The only way that's being read as "New, only for Nintendo 3DS" is if someone is bloody illiterate and reads in the wrong direction.

Cleve

Really debating getting this or trying to find a Wii copy... Anyone in the same spot and ended up getting the 3DS copy ? Any regrets ?

I'll say this, I have it on both systems. It's much more enjoyable on wii unless you really want to play it on the go.

Loving this game but damn is it ugly. Like PSP ugly.

Yeah, I don't get everyone praising the game's graphics in this thread. Sure it has solid art direction and it was an impressive accomplishment for the Wii originally (and looks fantastic in dolphin) but I really expected more from a game that required the new updated quad core 3ds.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but this game looks like something that could have happened on the psp.

Overside

Banned
I was one of those people, but I still wouldn't call it more than amazing. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, just that it's nowhere near "greatest JRPG of all time", which is something I see it labeled quite frequently. It's the best JRPG on consoles since Lost Odyssey sure, but I've played JRPGs on handhelds that I've enjoyed more than Xenoblade since FFVII. Radiant Historia for example.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't think of any others not named Radiant Historia. I'm nor counting P4 since it was on the PS2 first.

See, a lot of people who like games like xenoblade, cant stand things like smt and persona.

And really, your response doesnt really adress what I said at all.

Radiant Historia is designed nothing like xenoblade. Theres no overworld, theres no real exploring, the towns/cities cant even be called such in comparison to xenoblades or of ff past.

Its a dungeon crawler, with a cool time mechanic. Its a good dungeon crawler, with slick visuals (for ds) an engaging combat system, a fun branchy story, and a great soundtrack. But theres no shortage of games generally like it. Its a safe quick and cheap style of game to make in comparison.

The people saying Xenoblade is amazing, most definately look for different things in their jrpgs than you do, and havent seen it for a very, very, long time.

Overside

Banned
I'll say this, I have it on both systems. It's much more enjoyable on wii unless you really want to play it on the go.

Yeah, I don't get everyone praising the game's graphics in this thread. Sure it has solid art direction and it was an impressive accomplishment for the Wii originally (and looks fantastic in dolphin) but I really expected more from a game that required the new updated quad core 3ds.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but this game looks like something that could have happened on the psp.

Tell me, how many games with areas the size of the starting area, that are fully functional, and without limitations, as in you can actually GO TO those pretty backdrops that are just for show on psp, have you actually seen on the psp?

Ill answer that for you. Zero. There isnt a single one on psp.

Thats what people are praising. They arent stocking their face into a wall and going 'Man that texture is crisp, what great graphics'.

The quad core in the 3ds is its cpu, not its gpu, thats what enables it to have the functional visuals everyone is praising. As opposed to the static visuals people keep trying to compare it to.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The people saying Xenoblade is amazing, most definately look for different things in their jrpgs than you do, and havent seen it for a very, very, long time.
Ahh I see what you're saying. I just tend to lump all JRPGs into the same category, as ridiculous as that may sound, which is I guess why Xenoblade doesn't particularly stand out for me.

Ahh I see what you're saying. I just tend to lump all JRPGs into the same category, as ridiculous as that may sound, which is I guess why Xenoblade doesn't particularly stand out for me.

I'd say that being among the top 2 JRPGs of the past 6 years or so is the very definition of "stand out," even if Radiant Historia is better. Not everyone is saying that Xenoblade is the best of all time. Calling it "amazing," as you have, pretty much puts you on equal footing with alot of the people here who have been very hyped about it and consider it a stand out.

I loved RH and both these games are probably my favorite JRPGs in over a decade. It's not my favorite of all time, but I do consider it amazing, and I've been very excited about this and any future Xeno releases. I think our opinions are less different than you realize.

Overside

Banned

You know i was thinking about that exact same thing the other day. Jrpgs tend to all be lumped into one genre, but really, it is a huge and diverse spectrum of games.

Rich!

Misheard lines are great

My wife is getting hotter
With you around sharla, I get three times as hard
Reyn, you're a lightsabre

TheMoon

You know i was thinking about that exact same thing the other day. Jrpgs tend to all be lumped into one genre, but really, it is a huge and diverse spectrum of games.

Yup, which is why it's such a shame they're being so easily dismissed with a handwave these days. The majority of people seem to still think every "JRPG" is a carbon copy of whatever PS-era Final Fantasy they happen to remember.

While it is diverse, there's also a lot of common ground and I feel like I see way too many discussions online about what is best, and what makes them different, while dismissing the ones that aren't the best (any thread with a console JRPG will eventually bring up Xeno X vs. FFV vs. P5). There really should be more support for all these games because, considering how unpopular the genre has become in the west, as dedicated fans we're the only western audience they have. And then we get mad when there are less niche games being localized.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's like saying all shooters are like COD, which is something I don't do, so I'm not sure why I do it with JRPGs. Time for that to change. :D

Parshias7

Misheard lines are great

My wife is getting hotter
With you around sharla, I get three times as hard
Reyn, you're a lightsabre

It gets even better when attack interrupt other ones.

Reyn: Sharla, when you're around I get-BONE UPPER!
Shulk: I'm really feeling it.
Sharla: That's nice, Shulk.

The scope of this game is incredibly impressive, makes me wonder why there were so many sectioned off areas in Twilight Princess' overworld when clearly the Wii could have handled Hyrule Field being one huge playground. I love this so far, just made it to Gaur Plains. It's very fun, vast, I really want to get to the end at some point, I don't say that about many JRPGs. A lot of the time I feel like I'm trudging along a monotonous adventure that has peaks and lows of fun and tedium, like Bravely Default. Dungeon crawling in that game felt very tedious, but I'm happy to say that here its very fun to explore no matter where I'm at.

It's been very rewarding to learn the ins and outs of the gameplay. I'm still having trouble fully grasping all the gameplay facets, but I'm getting through.

I haven't enjoyed such a grand adventure since Dark Souls, this is awesome :) I'm very happy they rereleased it!

TheMoon

The scope of this game is incredibly impressive, makes me wonder why there were so many sectioned off areas in Twilight Princess' overworld when clearly the Wii could have handled Hyrule Field being one huge playground.

Because Twilight Princess was a GameCube game, not a Wii game. With a tumultuous development cycle. And Xenoblade came out 4 years later.

Because Twilight Princess was a GameCube game, not a Wii game. With a tumultuous development cycle. And Xenoblade came out 4 years later.
Very true, but was Wii hardware really that much more advanced than the Gamecube's? Is the 3DS more powerful than the Gamecube?

TheMoon

Very true, but was Wii hardware really that much more advanced than the Gamecube's? Is the 3DS more powerful than the Gamecube?

"Two gamecubes duct-taped together"

The "more powerful" line of though usually leads nowhere because it's never that simple.

Physical man. Always go physical.
I had that same outlook at first, and for home consoles I still so, but I'm starting to see the appeal in owning games directly on my portable system. By having everything there at once, it would utilize the potential of it being a truly portable system; portable enough where I don't even have to bring my games with me anywhere.

I can't see myself switching to digital at this point simply cuz I have such a vast library of physical games and not enough space on my card anyway, but if Nintendo's next handheld makes some big changes to its architecture I will absolutely go digital. These changes primarily would have to be having more space on the SD card and having an account system, I don't think that's too much to ask. It's already pretty evident they're heading towards the latter direction, but if Nintendo are serious about embracing the digital future they have to upgrade the SD card size.

alf717

Quick question since this game takes advantage of the New 3DS does it drain the battery more than a regular 3DS title? I didn't want to do much thread digging in case of unmarked spoilers so sorry if already answered. I might try and pick this up when I have the funds for it.

Dice//

Banned

Perfectly. Even better than the Wii since you don't hear disc scratching (ie; reading) every 5-10 seconds.

Top Bottom