• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Late game spoilers.

So I'm stuck on the Gadolt fight in Agniratha. Level 66 so I want to level up a bit and try again, anywhere good to do that at this point? Done all the quests that net exp in Agniratha and all the other ones prior to this give really little exp anyway :/

If I remember correctly, no story related battle in this game comes down to the solution of "grind for more XP". You need to re-evaluate which characters you are using and what Talent Arts you have. You also need to check your equipment and gems, they can really turn a difficult battle into an easy one if you haven't optimized them in a few hours.

That said, I haven't played this game in two years and I'm not that far so I can't help with your particular situation. I'm just encouraging you to try something different and preserve without grinding!

Nah, you dont need to swim all that water, just go to the differents islands.

Yeah, but you gotta SWIM to all those islands the first time! Honestly it wasn't until that late in the game that I realized you don't have to actually SEE all of the map, just visit all the locations to reveal the full map lol. So I think I actually walked most of the map for about a good half of the game thinking that's how you fully uncovered each map!!

random25

Thanks. I remembered I obsessed over completing maps on the Wii version. I forget that big area, with all the water. Yeah, I swam every inch of that area. Shit, I'm going to do it again aren't I? At least I'll be able to do it this time while sitting on the toilet instead of playing at 4 am when my infant newborn would wake me up to play Xenoblade and drink a bottle lol.

You just need to go to every major and minor landmarks and the map auto-completes its display.

Serrato

Yeah, but you gotta SWIM to all those islands the first time! Honestly it wasn't until that late in the game that I realized you don't have to actually SEE all of the map, just visit all the locations to reveal the full map lol. So I think I actually walked most of the map for about a good half of the game thinking that's how you fully uncovered each map!!

jeezus!! I feel you man. I admit it's told in a rather cryptic tutorial but damn.

ramyeon

If I remember correctly, no story related battle in this game comes down to the solution of "grind for more XP". You need to re-evaluate which characters you are using and what Talent Arts you have. You also need to check your equipment and gems, they can really turn a difficult battle into an easy one if you haven't optimized them in a few hours.

That said, I haven't played this game in two years and I'm not that far so I can't help with your particular situation. I'm just encouraging you to try something different and preserve without grinding!
Haha yeah I usually take that approach, but I recall this same fight giving me a lot of trouble my first play through the game too. It's just a really significant difficulty spike and he's about 3 or 4 levels above me as well which doesn't help. I'm using
Melia, Dunban and Shulk
for what it's worth. I guess I could swap my party around and get Sharla in there healing to prolong the battle a bit.

ramyeon

Late game spoilers as before.

Gave it another shot and took him out! Same party, lots of Element Burst bolt discharge and topple spamming. God damn this guy hits hard, it was super close. He had a sliver of health left and all my party were flashing red. Felt so good to see him fall.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'll happily co-sign Radiant Historia. The game is fantastic. Especially the battle system. Pushing, pulling and stacking enemies is pure brilliance. Wouldn't put it above Xenoblade, though. It helps that it also has Yoko Shimomura doing the score, btw. :D
Lol, no wonder the battle themes sound so similar.

alvis.exe

Yeah I did. I haven't sold anything yet. I'd rather not be consulting safe-to-sell lists while playing :( I'm worried about quest items since who knows what will matter *eventually*. I haven't checked out the Collectopedia yet, will definitely do that.

Well if it helps both material lists are spoiler-free and I basically went through every single collect quest on the wiki to create my list so... I'd like to hope I got 99% of everything you'd eventually need? :p

Feel free to point out anything I might have missed though! I'll go and double check it against some other lists online as well.

Late game spoilers.

So I'm stuck on the Gadolt fight in Agniratha. Level 66 so I want to level up a bit and try again, anywhere good to do that at this point? Done all the quests that net exp in Agniratha and all the other ones prior to this give really little exp anyway :/

General enemies around
agniratha
are going to be your best bet, though I'd try reworking your strategy a bit to take the boss down as you are.

Well since I've missed the original on the Wii, I'm finally going to feel it.

The game seems really easy to grind once you get Fiona and Reyn to help.

I got the "Some help you are" Achievement by accident.
Bikinis are healthy

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I played like 30 hours but all of it was in the first area or so on the Wii.

I don't want to burn myself out, but I also want to know - are there any missables/points of no return in this game?

Overside

Banned

I don't want to burn myself out, but I also want to know - are there any missables/points of no return in this game?

Yes and no.

There are areas that you can not return to after a certain point, but you cant miss them, you have to travel through them for the story, and the game does a pretty good job of letting you know.

And although each area has an 'exclusive' list of items, there are ways of still getting the items once you can no longer return to said area.

Soul Beat

Hehe. I like Zazadan. He's funny. Then again I like all of the Nopon.

Did you get all three of Daza's quests in Colony 6?
He is pretty funny, but then got a bit whiney for my tastes. :/

Yeah, I believe I did. I'm about to face the one true enemy of GAF.
The giant spider.

TDLink

I wouldn't start worrying about missables until you're practically finished your journey on Bionis. Once you are in the area called Valak Mountain, you might want to check out the rest of this post:

The quests in your journal with a clock next to them are "missable". After a certain point in the story, you can no longer complete those quests. That said, it is fairly late into the game when that happens.

There is one zone in attached to Bionis that you cannot return to after you complete the story there. There are several unique enemies there so if you want the affinity coins from beating them, you need to do that before progressing the story once you're there. If you want to know which it is, that zone is
Sword Valley...although I guess that sort of counts as Mechonis
. Outside of that zone you can always return to any zone on Bionis. For Mechonis, those zones do become inaccessible after you finish the story there. But it is fairly well telegraphed when it will happen. Before the final boss in the game there is a clear point of no return as well.

Every time I get to a new area i always think that it's my new favorite area and that there's no way the game will ever top this place, but it does each and everytime consistantly. This game is something else. Just reached
Eryth Sea
and finally the story is starting to pick up a bit.

random25

Every time I get to a new area i always think that it's my new favorite area and that there's no way the game will ever top this place, but it does each and everytime consistantly. This game is something else. Just reached
Eryth Sea
and finally the story is starting to pick up a bit.

Hope you don't get tired of swimming :p

I've put a decent amount of time into the port now, and so far the visual quality seems to vary from area to area. Colony 9 took a pretty big hit but Bionis' Leg looks a lot nicer. Hopefully most of the areas are more like the later than the former.

jackal27

Banned
Those of you who own both versions, is it worth it to double dip?

I have the Wii version and love this game a ton, but honestly I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of the 3D effect and I can't decide if the portability is worth it for the graphics drop. What do you guys think?

I really love the boss fight after Ether Mine, so great.

Were you able to kill that massive lvl 10 miniboss in like the first area of the mines? That mofo whooped my ass twice before I just continued on. Now I can't use waypoints
because the mechons just infiltrated or whatever
and all I want to do is kill that bastard.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I have the Wii version and love this game a ton, but honestly I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of the 3D effect and I can't decide if the portability is worth it for the graphics drop. What do you guys think?
I'm liking it a whole hell of a lot more on the N3DS but that's because I tend to enjoy JRPGs much more on handhelds.

Seik

Banned

I love it just for the portability alone, it is a solid port so far (8 hours in). The game is just as enjoyable to me on this than it was on the Wii.

Also, you can pop out Xenoblade then pop in Chrono Trigger on the same console, that's pretty neat imo. :p

TDLink

I have both. The 3D effect basically doesn't exist. There's a lot to be said for portability though. I've already put a ton of hours into the portable version at a rate faster than when I had to sit in front of my TV to do it. You get used to the graphical downgrade very fast. If you aren't staring at the Wii game side by side then you won't really notice the changes. The draw distance (so far) appears to be just as good as the Wii version. The visuals are still impressive for the 3DS' hardware.

jorgejjvr

Were you able to kill that massive lvl 10 miniboss in like the first area of the mines? That mofo whooped my ass twice before I just continued on. Now I can't use waypoints
because the mechons just infiltrated or whatever
and all I want to do is kill that bastard.
I didn't leave that area until I killed him. Side quests are not the things that take too much of my time in this game, it's the monsters. If I see someone that beats me up real bad but it's around my level, I can't leave the area until I beat him. It took me a couple of tries and leveling up, but it felt so good

The quests in your journal with a clock next to them are "missable". After a certain point in the story, you can no longer complete those quests. That said, it is fairly late into the game when that happens.

You can miss quests at
the refugee camp if you move them back to Colony 6
as well.

jackal27

Banned
I'm liking it a whole hell of a lot more on the N3DS but that's because I tend to enjoy JRPGs much more on handhelds.

See this is me as well which is making me lean towards getting it. I also had 90 hours in the Wii game but lost that when my Wii fried a couple of years ago... Horrible...

This could be the excuse I need to finally finish it. I also just have SO many 3DS games I'm playing right now though haha.

Luigi87

I played this only once before, 100 hours, three years ago, loved it.

Just reached Colony 6, and I find it amazing at how much I actually remember after three years. So many games I find I easily forget details after time has passed, yet Xenoblade seems to have really stuck with me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
See this is me as well which is making me lean towards getting it. I also had 90 hours in the Wii game but lost that when my Wii fried a couple of years ago... Horrible...

This could be the excuse I need to finally finish it. I also just have SO many 3DS games I'm playing right now though haha.
90 hours in? Yikes, I was only 11 hours in with the Wii version before I stopped.

braves01

Banned

I lost a 45 hour save on Wii due to power surge. I know your pain, albeit to a lesser degree.

I have both, and am enjoying the 3DS port, but keep in mind I'm a huge fan of this game.

I think of the downgrade as simply the reality that was required to get it working on the 3DS. It's a portable version of one of my favorite games, nothing more, and that's all it needs to be.

So I would consider it very worth it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hey question: Is there any way, for quests that require me to go somewhere or go to someone, to have the arrow in the top be for that specific quest instead of the story? I can't remember if this was possible when I played the Wii version.

Overside

Banned
I have both, and am enjoying the 3DS port, but keep in mind I'm a huge fan of this game.

I think of the downgrade as simply the reality that was required to get it working on the 3DS. It's a portable version of one of my favorite games, nothing more, and that's all it needs to be.

So I would consider it very worth it.

The 'downgrade' is the reality of putting a 6Gb game on a 4Gb cartridge.

Nintendo really should have unsealed the next cart size for this one.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hey question: Is there any way, for quests that require me to go somewhere or go to someone, to have the arrow in the top be for that specific quest instead of the story? I can't remember if this was possible when I played the Wii version.

Unfortunately not. If you do feel compelled to finish quests - which you shouldn't - just use the god tier spreadsheet to speed through them. The wiki isn't too bad either.

El Odio

Banned
For some reason i keep thinking there is some missable objects to find in ether mines. Its been a few year so my memory is rusty but the area closes off later and i vaguely remember needing something there for colony 6 that you cant get to later since youre eve tually shut from the area.

Someone tell me im wrong so i can fuck off and relax :)
Just the giant shaft is closed off I believe. The area where you can mine crystals stays open and probably should have any potential collectibles.

Guys, is there another gem furnace somewhere down the line? Or am I going to forever be going back to Colony 9 to craft gems? Am I going to get a portable furnace at some point as well? I notice that there is a Gem Furnace option in the Items tab which is unusable, even when right next to the Colony 9 furnace.

The 'downgrade' is the reality of putting a 6Gb game on a 4Gb cartridge.

Nintendo really should have unsealed the next cart size for this one.

Hasn't Nintendo claimed that the 3DS has support for 8gb cartridges? Why aren't they putting use to them?

random25

Guys, is there another gem furnace somewhere down the line? Or am I going to forever be going back to Colony 9 to craft gems? Am I going to get a portable furnace at some point as well? I notice that there is a Gem Furnace option in the Items tab which is unusable, even when right next to the Colony 9 furnace.

You'll get a portable gem crafting tool from the Gem man. You need to rebuild Colony 6 by 1 level on all categories.

Lumyst

I've gotten to Bionis' Leg 8 hours in and I'd say yes it was worth it for me. The game is the same experiance as on the Wii, and after some time I'm finding that it looks nicer to have the game rendered natively on a small screen than blown up on a 50" plasma :p It's actually like having a favorite book readily at hand once it synchronizes with the experiance in the mind's eye.

The joy of this game, I've found, actually felt the same to me as an engrossing fantasy novel; in fact, the game asks of the player to read a lot to "get into" its world, come to think of it. You get the setting in visual form, but the lore of the world and the lives of its people is discovered through dialogue and side quests. That is exactly why things such as only getting textual descriptions of items turned out to be fine, even when my first impression was scepticism. But when I went ahead and realized that it's fine to read and use one's own imagination, it became really engrossing. In fact, back to the graphics, the purpose of a game's graphics is to give the mind enough visual cues to imagine something is happening, same thing as how words alone can do that. So the whole resolution thing takes care of itself once your mind kicks in and you're once again engrossed in the game's world ;-)

weevles

My 3DS backlog is kind of flush with RPGs,but this one, I can't stop playing. It's pretty enjoyable so far, not having played this before.

ramyeon

Very late game spoilers.

Just reached
Colony 6 again after the eventful trip to the Mechonis Core. On the home stretch now. Gonna try and get a bunch of late game quests done now that they should be available.

Rich!

Very late game spoilers.

Just reached
Colony 6 again after the eventful trip to the Mechonis Core. On the home stretch now. Gonna try and get a bunch of late game quests done now that they should be available.

I'm at exactly the same point heh

Damn, the twists and cutscenes in the final third of the game are something else, I remember when I first played this back in 2011 and I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAA throughout all of this insanity

ramyeon

I'm at exactly the same point heh

Damn, the twists and cutscenes in the final third of the game are something else, I remember when I first played this back in 2011 and I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAA throughout all of this insanity
(First time players: don't highlight this, don't do it).

Yeah there are definitely some great twists and turns. I remember my jaw dropping when Dickson shot Shulk, I knew something was up for him but didn't expect that. Then Zanza coming out of Shulk, Meyneth materialising a Monado and then getting owned. Oh man, and of course Egil being awesome. Had to scrape my jaw off the ground the first time through.

Hugstable

Banned
Oh damn I almost clicked some spoilers hahaha. Considering I got to Makna Forest/Eryth Sea originally back in the wii game, how far along in the main story was I?

Top Bottom