• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

TheMoon

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xenoblade-chronicles-x-will-have-different-play-fe/1100-6426561/

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D launches today on Nintendo 3DS XL (the first game that requires Nintendo's new handheld to run), and we were able to send a few questions over to the game's developers in Japan. Check out the Q&A below that covers Xenoblade's original launch on Wii, what it took to bring the game to a portable device, and a few details about the upcoming Wii U-exclusive Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Answers were provided by Testuya Takahashi (the head of developer Monolith Soft), representatives from Monster Games (the company that worked on the 3DS port), and representatives from Nintendo SPD (an internal Nintendo developer that is lending support to Monolith).

^this interview makes it VERY clear that this was in no way shape or form lazy.

Were there any particular technological or UI hurdles to bringing the game to 3DS?

Monster Games: The biggest technical hurdle when porting between Wii and New Nintendo 3DS XL is that the two systems have very different capabilities. All these differences kept the project from being a simple port. Every part of the game had to be reworked to account for the capabilities of New Nintendo 3DS XL hardware. For example, New Nintendo 3DS XL has a different GPU architecture, so none of the art assets could be directly used. The team had to rebuild all the graphical assets while making sure it still looked as good as the original game. Each world was carefully optimized by the art staff and we needed to invent new techniques to render the large scenes where the player can see far into the distance. It wasn't until late in the project that we finally were able to make sure the frame rate was good everywhere.

Regarding the UI design, our big challenge was to maintain the look and feel of the original game, while taking advantage of the dual screens. There are hundreds of screens in the game and the design had to work for many languages. The design team spent over a month mocking up various UI designs until we got one that seemed to work well. Once we converted the screens to run on New Nintendo 3DS XL, we brushed up the artwork to fit the small screens and fine-tuned the placement of the elements. Given the number of screens and languages, this process took a long time and we were working on improving and fine-tuning details all the way to the end of the project.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Quick question since this game takes advantage of the New 3DS does it drain the battery more than a regular 3DS title? I didn't want to do much thread digging in case of unmarked spoilers so sorry if already answered. I might try and pick this up when I have the funds for it.

I would assume so, but I haven't noticed a huge difference, and I play on the highest brightness. But yeah I wonder this too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How are StreetPasses coming along? I haven't had a single hit from my StreetPass relay.

Same here , been twice and nothing. I assume you unlock more music tracks as you play the game? I'm not really interested in the character models, they shouldve had enemy monster models instead. Or allow you access to every piece of equipment to dress up unlocked models. As it stands, it's a real throw away feature.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was one of those people, but I still wouldn't call it more than amazing. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, just that it's nowhere near "greatest JRPG of all time", which is something I see it labeled quite frequently. It's the best JRPG on consoles since Lost Odyssey sure, but I've played JRPGs on handhelds that I've enjoyed more than Xenoblade since FFVII. Radiant Historia for example.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't think of any others not named Radiant Historia. I'm not counting P4 since it was on the PS2 first.

I think you refuted your own argument. I think Xenonlade is "near" the title of G.JRPG.OAT". I mean we could sit here until we all agree how many other JRPGs are greater than or equal to Xenoblade, and the list would be short. This game is definitely on any short list of best of the genre.

Your post however single handily convinced me to buy Radiant from eBay tomorrow. You're the second poster today that mentioned that game as being an example of something that surpasses Xenoblde, and I've never played it. So thank you for mentioning it!

TheMoon

I think you refuted your own argument. I think Xenonlade is "near" the title of G.JRPG.OAT". I mean we could sit here until we all agree how many other JRPGs are greater than or equal to Xenoblade, and the list would be short. This game is definitely on any short list of best of the genre.

Your post however single handily convinced me to buy Radiant from eBay tomorrow. You're the second poster today that mentioned that game as being an example of something that surpasses Xenoblde, and I've never played it. So thank you for mentioning it!

I'll happily co-sign Radiant Historia. The game is fantastic. Especially the battle system. Pushing, pulling and stacking enemies is pure brilliance. Wouldn't put it above Xenoblade, though. It helps that it also has Yoko Shimomura doing the score, btw. :D

Kiro

I just finished the marsh and still have not found a use for materials. Is it later on or am I missing something or are they literally only for side quests?

Hylian7

Got this on Friday having not played the original, and I must say it is impressive. First of all, a game of this scale being scaled down to a handheld is impressive as all hell, even though the textures are compressed as all hell. The model quality is still great, and looking at comparisons of this version to the Wii Version, it looks like the only major downgrade is the texture quality. The textures can be pretty damn bad at times. One moment in particular that stuck out for me was the photograph in Dunban's house, every time I saw it in a cut scene I couldn't help but laugh.

The battle system reminds me of a WRPG rather than a JRPG. I think the most notable difference here though is that you can attack while moving. That is a neat change that makes you able to adjust positioning for the position based Arts.

One thing I've never really been clear on, and maybe I just missed this, but what exactly is the thing that constantly prompts you to press the B button?

alvis.exe

Nope, thats another one where a lot more content opens up, but the context of the area is still the same.

Is it
space
?

I just finished the marsh and still have not found a use for materials. Is it later on or am I missing something or are they literally only for side quests?

Only for sidequests unless I'm stupidly blanking on something right now. There are links in the OP for what you should/shouldn't sell. :)

Got this on Friday having not played the original, and I must say it is impressive. First of all, a game of this scale being scaled down to a handheld is impressive as all hell, even though the textures are compressed as all hell. The model quality is still great, and looking at comparisons of this version to the Wii Version, it looks like the only major downgrade is the texture quality. The textures can be pretty damn bad at times. One moment in particular that stuck out for me was the photograph in Dunban's house, every time I saw it in a cut scene I couldn't help but laugh.

The battle system reminds me of a WRPG rather than a JRPG. I think the most notable difference here though is that you can attack while moving. That is a neat change that makes you able to adjust positioning for the position based Arts.

One thing I've never really been clear on, and maybe I just missed this, but what exactly is the thing that constantly prompts you to press the B button?

The initial B button prompt is called Battle Start Affinity. It increases Tension, which increases crit rate among other things. The closer you time your button press to when the lines overlap, the better your initial boost. Same is true for when the B button prompt appears during battle though that will increase Affinity between party members as well as Tension (and is called Burst Affinity). You will also get the same B button prompt during Chain Attacks but that only serves to lengthen your chain so you don't really have to get that as close to the edge as possible.

Overside

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xenoblade-chronicles-x-will-have-different-play-fe/1100-6426561/

^this interview makes it VERY clear that this was in no way shape or form lazy.

Yeah I bet. Didnt the gc/wii still use the cpu for doing geometry? Thats handled by the pica gpu on the 3ds. And wii's hollywood gpu was integer based instead of fp.

Not too mention they had to get split the game engine from one single core cpu thread to across 3 or so.

Just a shame they did all that work, and then forced them to cram it all on a cart that was too small.

Brakke

Banned
Started this game on Wii way back and it didn't click, gave up on it immediately. Started up on 3DS during some travel, up to the attack on Colony 9.

What's the deal with items in this game? I have that whole list of items that look like they're just vendor junk. Are they vendor junk? Also I have like thirty "crystals" but don't know what they're for: presumably I unlock some gem-slot-in-items mechanic eventually?

Hugstable

Banned
Started this game on Wii way back and it didn't click, gave up on it immediately. Started up on 3DS during some travel, up to the attack on Colony 9.

What's the deal with items in this game? I have that whole list of items that look like they're just vendor junk. Are they vendor junk? Also I have like thirty "crystals" but don't know what they're for: presumably I unlock some gem-slot-in-items mechanic eventually?

For gems you can socket it into ypur equipment and you can use the little ones ypu find to combine them into new gems. The gemstall is in the central market area, just a bit north.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Yeah go to the gemstall guy, he uses your item gems. The blue sparkles you find around while walking go into your collectapedia that you complete for prizes.

alvis.exe

Well, you got me there, but I mean a change in gameplay context.

Haha I give up then. Too vague! :p

Damn shouldnt YOU know that? I'm referencing
your username, which is a bit of a spoiler itself lol

It is my sincerest hope that
one of these new players will see my username one day after they beat the game and just be like... OHHHHH. Hahaha.

For gems you can socket it into ypur equipment and you can use the little ones ypu find to combine them into new gems. The gemstall is in the central market area, just a bit north.

Don't forget you can get a mobile furnace too! Gem crafting anywhere, anytime.

Overside

Banned

There are no healing items in the game. So if its potions you are looking for, theyve been made redundant.

Items are for quests, trading, presents, and yeah, selling.

There are drops later that you can use to upgrade your move set. For a lot of moves its the only way to reach max. Others can only be found in secret area treasure chests, and its the only way the move.

You can use the crystals to forge stat altering gems in the colony 9 commercial district.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
In this image I inflicted Break on an enemy. You can tell by the pink parallel lines beside the enemy name.
zlCfzTPatgMLxYmGlI

Compare that image to this one, where there are THREE boxes on the screen telling you that you inflicted Break. Four, if you include the Arts description that tells you that you are GOING to inflict Break if you press this button lol.

2729003-3ds_xenobladeh2ph8.png

I don't know if you could even do this in the Wii version, but you can turn off all the battle messages for status effects and Arts description at the bottom in the OPTIONS menu (next to Save and Load). It de-clutters the UI during battle and looks a little nicer. Probably not something that first time players want to do, since they are probably pressing START to find out what status effects do or need reminders what Arts Skills do, but if you're a veteran I recommend turning off some of the UI stuff.

TheMoon

Read OP, please. There's a guide for materials and a separate one for gem crafting.

Wichu

Well, you got me there, but I mean a change in gameplay context.

Late-game spoilers: I assume you mean
Alcamoth
becoming
filled with high-level enemies
. I love that it's heavily hinted at by
all the quests there being timed - makes you wonder what's going to happen to it...
What do I win? :p

Also I forgot that
the title theme
plays during the
Prison Island
event. Man, that was awesome.

Overside

Banned
Late-game spoilers: I assume you mean
Alcamoth
becoming
filled with high-level enemies
. I love that it's heavily hinted at by
all the quests there being timed - makes you wonder what's going to happen to it...
What do I win? :p

Also I forgot that
the title theme
plays during the
Prison Island
event. Man, that was awesome.

And we have a winnah!!!
It is indeed Alcamoth, which goes from being a safe town like context where you talk to npc's and take quests, to being a dangerous place where the player us always under attack.

Serrato

We should add this image to the OP so that people know if they have not seen this screen in the game, they can know that they are missing something.

zlCfzTPbV1ArL9xZTb

Which I don't understand cause... it's kinda explained in a fairly well and short tutorial. Collect things and put them in this screen = Profits!

I guess not everyone read text...?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Can someone remind me, how do you fully complete a map? Do you have to visit every Landmark (warp point) in an Entire Area or do you also need to visit every "Location"? (which are also Landmarks)

Serrato

Can someone remind me, how do you fully complete a map? Do you have to visit every Landmark (warp point) in an Entire Area or do you also need to visit every "Location"? (which are also Landmarks)

Exactly, you need to find both types. Like for Colony 9
you will only complete it when you go to the last landmark with the Ether Cylinder Storage and explored the rest of the map before.

Kiro

We should add this image to the OP so that people know if they have not seen this screen in the game, they can know that they are missing something.

zlCfzTPbV1ArL9xZTb

I have read the beginner guide and use that collecto pedia. Just materials for me implied I could eventually forge weapons and armor. But good to know

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Exactly, you need to find both types. Like for Colony 9
you will only complete it when you go to the last landmark with the Ether Cylinder Storage and explored the rest of the map before.

Thanks. I remembered I obsessed over completing maps on the Wii version. I forget that big area, with all the water. Yeah, I swam every inch of that area. Shit, I'm going to do it again aren't I? At least I'll be able to do it this time while sitting on the toilet instead of playing at 4 am when my infant newborn would wake me up to play Xenoblade and drink a bottle lol.

ramyeon

Late game spoilers.

So I'm stuck on the Gadolt fight in Agniratha. Level 66 so I want to level up a bit and try again, anywhere good to do that at this point? Done all the quests that net exp in Agniratha and all the other ones prior to this give really little exp anyway :/

Brakke

Banned
Thanks, everyone. I'm really excited for this game! The ugliness turned me off of the Wii version. It's easier to swallow here :) I'm a total sucker for the design they have for the world. I always love creation myths, this one is weird and cool.

Read OP, please. There's a guide for materials and a separate one for gem crafting.

Yeah I did. I haven't sold anything yet. I'd rather not be consulting safe-to-sell lists while playing :( I'm worried about quest items since who knows what will matter *eventually*. I haven't checked out the Collectopedia yet, will definitely do that.

Serrato

Thanks. I remembered I obsessed over completing maps on the Wii version. I forget that big area, with all the water. Yeah, I swam every inch of that area. Shit, I'm going to do it again aren't I? At least I'll be able to do it this time while sitting on the toilet instead of playing at 4 am when my infant newborn would wake me up to play Xenoblade and drink a bottle lol.

Nah, you dont need to swim all that water, just go to the differents islands.

Top Bottom