• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

weevles

Yo fuck these bosses that needs me to chain attack to do damage to them. I do not like that part of this game. I'm looking at you
Xord

Anyone have any advice for me to beat this asshole?

I'm at level 25. This shit isn't hard but the wave after wave wears my teammates down and once we build up for a chain Sharla fucking dies. I manage to pull off a chain once and we barely scratche'd him.

I love this game so far but hate these required chain attacks to kill these fuckers. That shit is not fun.

Edit: This is my
first time fighting Xord, don't know if I face him again but please don't spoil it for me.

I believe you
have to focus on almost all the minions to build chain, then after using daze, you MUST use Topple (reyn) to do any kind of damage. I don't enjoy the bosses much because they can be really long and building chain can be tricky to keep everyone alive. Keeping Sharla defensive for heals and remembering all the arts and chains boggles my mind in the heat of battle. :p

alvis.exe

Yo fuck these bosses that needs me to chain attack to do damage to them. I do not like that part of this game. I'm looking at you
Xord

Anyone have any advice for me to beat this asshole?

I'm at level 25. This shit isn't hard but the wave after wave wears my teammates down and once we build up for a chain Sharla fucking dies. I manage to pull off a chain once and we barely scratche'd him.

I love this game so far but hate these required chain attacks to kill these fuckers. That shit is not fun.

Edit: This is my
first time fighting Xord, don't know if I face him again but please don't spoil it for me.

It's funny because that fight gave me the most trouble in my first playthrough but it is ridiculously easy going back to it now after fully understanding the battle system. Use the reinforcements to build up your Party Gauge. To do this, target one of them and use the "Focus attacks!" command to get your whole party to concentrate on it. You can fill Party Gauge during battle by landing critical hits (random, but higher when high Tension and with proper optimization), getting Art bonus effects (ie. Positional bonuses like Back Slash from behind or Slit Edge from the side), and by nailing your Burst Affinities (B button prompts).

At this point, it's probably easiest to use Shulk and MAKE SURE you get all the positional bonuses. That should fill the gauge up pretty quick. Then make sure you Break and Topple right away in the Chain Attack and that should let you rack up damage fairly quick.

What is this? You just "like" the game after 30 hours?
Yeah.
The story, atmosphere, and characters are good and what is keeping me going.
The rest is ok. The combat is lacking IMO.

I don't love FFX either, but I beat the game all the way through at 80 hours because I enjoyed the combat.

Ventara

What is this? You just "like" the game after 30 hours?

Eh, some games are like this. They're okay enough to continue playing them, but not enough to say you love it. Personally, I love the game, though.

What is curious about the post is that he implies only Nintendo fans are clamoring about how they love the game.

Xbro

Yeah.

I don't love FFX either, but I beat the game all the way through at 80 hours because I enjoyed the combat.

Need any help understanding the combat?

Eh, some games are like this. They're okay enough to continue playing them, but not enough to say you love it. Personally, I love the game, though.

What is curious about the post is that he implies only Nintendo fans are clamoring about how they love the game.

That's what I took from that.

Yeah.

That's fine, but nowhere in the OT are people clamoring pro-Nintendo as fanboys just because Monster did a competent job of porting the game.

That's fine, but nowhere in the OT are people clamoring pro-Nintendo as fanboys just because Monster did a competent job of porting the game.
Oh I wasn't meaning to come off as that way. This is my 2nd attempt at the game. The Wii attempt wasn't grabbing me compared to this one which I am feeling it.

The port is really good though having both versions. I just don't see the original game as "top 10 games of last generation". I would rank this probably #15 in the RPGs I played last gen now.
BTW FFXIII is probably #40. I played lots of RPGs last gen.

Overside

Banned
Whaaaaaat the fuck with that spider boss?? I have no clue what to do. There are one million lil guys and I don't have any kind of AOE at all. Just get overwhelmed.

You have several aoe attacks shulk has the sonic boom pink break attack thats a frontal cone, and monado buster thats a straight like of death, and reyn has several circular aoe attacks. Those little guys are soul fodder. Consume them and crush your enemies.

Hugstable

Banned
I played Chrono Cross for 40 hours and hated it.

Reminds me of this

SUiKmXT.png

It's understandable. I "liked" Final Fantasy X and I finished it. Though for me and that game, the only reason I didn't drop it was because I heard the ending was good. Same with Persona 3.
Dragon Quest IX was one game where I completed the game and now I cannot recall it at all. I think I liked the battle system and that was it.
Xenoblade Chronicles definitely beats DQIX though. At least they have characters.

CrisKre

I'm four hours into the 3DS version. Still not sure if I like the game. Definitely don't dislike it though, so I'll keep going, but for a game this long you kind of have to really like it to make it to the end.

I was in the same boat. Trust me, you haven´t seen the full extent of the size and magnitude of the game at all. Keep on, it will most probably charm you over.

This is the first time I get the feeling of this type of RPGs since the SNES and PSOne era, and now I understand why people stated that this is a natural evolution of those types of RPGs with a more contemporary coat in the form of an incredibly realized world, but somehow mantaining the right amount of cliches and charm of those games.

Thoroughly impressed and very very excited for Xenoblade X now, since it seems that it will attempt to blend classic JRPGs with more modern trends and online, mantaining the incredible world building of the original Xenoblade. Exciting proposition indeed.

This is the first time I get the feeling of this type of RPGs since the SNES and PSOne era, and now I understand why people stated that this is a natural evolution of those types of RPGs with a more contemporary coat in the form of an incredibly realized world, but somehow mantaining the right amount of cliches and charm of those games.
Reminds me if they mixed FF9 with FF7. You definitely do not see much RPGs nowadays that depend on you exploring the environment.

Brakke

Banned
lol it didn't even occur to me to use Monado arts when not fighting Mechon... Maybe I'll level a couple times to power up that pink wave-break thing.

lewisgone

I decided to put this down and finish Persona Q first but now that's beaten I might be RPG'd out for a while...

...and I've just realised I've stopped playing in the exact same place as I did on Wii.
Some random boss behind the lighthouse in the Eryth Sea, when Melia leaves your party. I don't know why, but I've lost to it the first time in both games and just put the game down, haha.

I'll come back to it in a few weeks.

Parshias7

Does anyone know a quick way to respawn collectables? I need something that can't be traded for, and there are like 3 spots that it can be found in.

nynt9

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but are the colors a lot more muted in this version of the game? It feels like that to me. Is there a way to make them more vibrant or something via playing with the settings?

OMG Aero

Naked Dunban is top tier.
So is naked Dunban with those skills that boost stats when he has no armour equipped actually good?
I messed around with that on the Wii version and it seemed to me like he was still better off if I just gave him the best armour I had at the time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So is naked Dunban with those skills that boost stats when he has no armour equipped actually good?
I messed around with that on the Wii version and it seemed to me like he was still better off if I just gave him the best armour I had at the time.

It's not really worth it, you sacrifice too much due to the lost gems. 30% agility is great, but by the time you unlock that it's just not worth it.

It works. Save and reload and wait around 1 minute then they'll reappear. Or alternatively warp away and back to skip the 1 minute wait.

I wonder if that's a change for the 3DS version, because I'm almost certain that doesn't work in the Wii version.

Hugstable

Banned
I haven't gotten to him yet in 3D, but from the wii game I remember Dunban being like the greatest tank ever. Dude just stands there while enemies can't hit him. Plus, it's Dunban!

ivysaur12

Banned
Whoa. Weird crash when rescuing
Juju from the Mechon. I had to skip the events, and then the entire fight aftewards didn't have any music in it.
Had to save and restart the system until it finally was fixed.

Has there been a patch released for this? Is this just me?

nynt9

I'm getting wrecked in the Tephra cave, doing the main quest. Should I first level up? I'm level 8 and haven't changed a lot of my gear yet.

I'm still early in, just got past the
Mechon assault.
This is pretty nitpicky, but it kind of ruins the "We're setting off on adventure!" vibe when you're immediately told to head back to town to check out gem-crafting.

The battle system seems fun, fights are a lot harder than I expected though. I lost four or five times to the big caterpillar in the area where you refill the cylinders before I finally gave up. I'm already getting a lot better though, I'm regularly dazing enemies and filling my team gauge quickly
or at least I was until I lost my third party member =/

My only complaint so far is there's been quite a few times where I'll Break an enemy and Reyn will keep using every Art except the one that topples, so he'll use his topple Art as the enemy is recovering from Break. Frustrating, but not the end of the world.

Exploring the areas is really fun, I can't wait to see what's next. And I still love the art design in this game, everything looks so cool. The robot designs, the armor designs, the environments... everything just clicks with me somehow.

The more I play the more I'm impressed by the graphics after being initially turned off by them. The areas are huge, and so far there's no load times. It's crazy getting used to this and then going back to Monster Hunter, MH has better textures definitely but it's also segregated into very small areas while XB has huge areas with pretty impressive draw distance.

I also didn't know that equipping different armors actually changed your characters' models, I was impressed by that.

I'm getting wrecked in the Tephra cave, doing the main quest. Should I first level up? I'm level 8 and haven't changed a lot of my gear yet.

Your level seems fine, if you accepted the hunting quests from the village you should get up to 9 really quickly by completing those. That's the level I was at when I beat that section.

Definitely warp back to town and buy new equipment, you should have enough money to outfit everyone with decent stuff.

What's giving you trouble? If it's the level 10 caterpillar thing, just save that for later. Otherwise make sure you're using Break-Topple-Daze, chain attacks, and using the attacks where you have to hit from the side or behind correctly.

alvis.exe

My only complaint so far is there's been quite a few times where I'll Break an enemy and Reyn will keep using every Art except the one that topples, so he'll use his topple Art as the enemy is recovering from Break. Frustrating, but not the end of the world.

Sometimes it may because he's still on cooldown for that Art. This is where the battle banter comes in handy! If you hear him using Wild Down then you can expect he won't be able to help out with Topple for a few seconds.

Sometimes it may because he's still on cooldown for that Art. This is where the battle banter comes in handy! If you hear him using Wild Down then you can expect he won't be able to help out with Topple for a few seconds.

Yeah, I figured it was a cooldown thing. Just seems hard to get it right since he also uses Wild Down of his own accord even if I'm not using my Break art at all. I'm sure I'll get it pretty quickly though.

Does everyone eventually get arts that Break, Topple, and Daze? Or are your party configurations always limited if you want to have all three available?

I wonder if that's a change for the 3DS version, because I'm almost certain that doesn't work in the Wii version.

I think I remember doing this in the Wii version for some of the Colony 6 quests but it's been a long time so I'm not 100% sure.

Whoa. Weird crash when rescuing
Juju from the Mechon. I had to skip the events, and then the entire fight aftewards didn't have any music in it.
Had to save and restart the system until it finally was fixed.

Has there been a patch released for this? Is this just me?

Yes there's been a stability patch released that seems to resolve some crashing issues. You'll have to launch the game while connected to the internet. If you highlight the game at the home screen some text should start scrolling after a few seconds that says "update available."

Renewed

Yeah, I figured it was a cooldown thing. Just seems hard to get it right since he also uses Wild Down of his own accord even if I'm not using my Break art at all. I'm sure I'll get it pretty quickly though.

Does everyone eventually get arts that Break, Topple, and Daze? Or are your party configurations always limited if you want to have all three available?

Other members can have parts of that combo, but not everything. For example, Shulk doesn't get a Topple art. You should be able to come with something better later on.

A usual suggestion for avoiding Reyn using Wild Down for no reason is to simply play as him and wait for a Break art to show up. Although it was pretty weird playing as him the first time since I had to play opposite to Shulk.

Yes level up and change your gear

Also, avoid unique (named) monsters until you've leveled up. You're not quite ready to take those on yet. Tephra Cave is a good crash course for the game to teach new players to pick their battles selectively.

alvis.exe

IIRC only 3 members of the party will get the full repertoire. Everyone else is limited to one or two. But two of those members have special requirements for at least one of their arts so there's that. But yeah there will definitely be party configurations that will be better if you want to rely on Topple Locking to beat enemies. Luckily, Break/Topple/Daze isn't your only method of reliably destroying enemies. :)

Other members can have parts of that combo, but not everything. For example, Shulk doesn't get a Topple art. You should be able to come with something better later on.

A usual suggestion for avoiding Reyn using Wild Down for no reason is to simply play as him and wait for a Break art to show up. Although it was pretty weird playing as him the first time since I had to play opposite to Shulk.

Actually...

Monado Cyclone is his Topple art.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Also, avoid unique (named) monsters until you've leveled up. You're not quite ready to take those on yet. Tephra Cave is a good crash course for the game to teach new players to pick their battles selectively.
I forgot about those UM in the cave.. should have had it in the post

ramyeon

So I never did the Kingpin quest line in Frontier Village back in the day, so I made sure to do it this time around and... (Late game spoilers)

Holy shit I just got destroyed by Bana in mere seconds. Was not expecting that.

Top Bottom