• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

TheMoon

Which I don't understand cause... it's kinda explained in a fairly well and short tutorial. Collect things and put them in this screen = Profits!

I guess not everyone read text...?

Text is the enemy. As well as menus. Apparently a ton of people just never bother to check and explore menus. Which is bizarre to me.

I'll add the pic to the OP. Will probably have to delete some REYN TIMES soon^^

CassSept

I'm at exactly the same point heh

Damn, the twists and cutscenes in the final third of the game are something else, I remember when I first played this back in 2011 and I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAA throughout all of this insanity

Some people hate on the third act but damn, I love how insane and off the rails it gets. Far prefer it to mostly cliched second act.

TheMoon

How will I know what time it is?

Someone in the thread will surely help you out ;)

I have read the beginner guide and use that collecto pedia. Just materials for me implied I could eventually forge weapons and armor. But good to know

Crafting is just for gems and these cylinders. All the materials are just potential quest items (lists for those is also in the OP). Most of it can simply be sold.

Those of you who own both versions, is it worth it to double dip?

I have the Wii version and love this game a ton, but honestly I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of the 3D effect and I can't decide if the portability is worth it for the graphics drop. What do you guys think?

I didn't even blink.

Ohnonono

Really enjoying this, it has been a long time since I have had a game grab me like this. I played about 7 hours of it over the weekend (that is a ton for me, especially a game I have to have sound on to enjoy) and just got the character with the rifle weapon. Most of the stuff is pretty easy to figure out if you have played an MMO, it is fun that there are crazy hard battle scattered around. They could have explained the chain system better. I did not even realize that I had to pick it from a menu I just though I was messing up the random button press prompts during combat. Smooth sailing after that though. I never played the Wii version so visuals are fine. They have their issues but the game is pretty nuts on a handheld. We will see if it holds on to me all the way to the end. It would be the first long JRPG in a long time to do it.

jorgejjvr

Really enjoying this, it has been a long time since I have had a game grab me like this. I played about 7 hours of it over the weekend (that is a ton for me, especially a game I have to have sound on to enjoy) and just got the character with the rifle weapon. Most of the stuff is pretty easy to figure out if you have played an MMO, it is fun that there are crazy hard battle scattered around. They could have explained the chain system better. I did not even realize that I had to pick it from a menu I just though I was messing up the random button press prompts during combat. Smooth sailing after that though. I never played the Wii version so visuals are fine. They have their issues but the game is pretty nuts on a handheld. We will see if it holds on to me all the way to the end. It would be the first long JRPG in a long time to do it.
Then I'm anxious to see your opinions as you get further in the game, this game was like a really good book to me, I just wanted to keep turning the pages to find out more but did not want it to end. The game only gets better and better, and you have just only started. Looking forward to reading more of your impressions. When I first played xeno I knew nothing about it, bought it on a wimp, and it became on of my favorite rpg, jrpg, and arguably my favorite game ever. Playing it for the second time now after such a long time on New 3ds and loving it, I am still definitely feeling it

One touch I really like about the game is how each armor and weapon changes as you equip/unequip them.

It's been a while since I can recall the last RPG that did this(P3/P4 I think).

Even Sharla's most beneficial armor set is also the most revealing.

Oh Japan

Bought this game, spent an hour with it.

Went out and got drunk and somehow managed to drop my 3DS in a way which meant the cartridge popped out

Now it is gone forever :(

I really want to play this, am tempted to re buy it but was a little put off by everything looking so squashed. Do you get used to it? Should I rebuy it ?

Help me obi-gaf-kenobi, you're my only hope.

Bought this game, spent an hour with it.

Went out and got drunk and somehow managed to drop my 3DS in a way which meant the cartridge popped out

Now it is gone forever :(

I really want to play this, am tempted to re buy it but was a little put off by everything looking so squashed. Do you get used to it? Should I rebuy it ?

Help me obi-gaf-kenobi, you're my only hope.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RNWUC4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9Z8CHU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is what is looks like on the Wii.

As someone who owned the Wii copy and now the 3DS copy, just buy the 3DS copy.

(First time players: don't highlight this, don't do it).

Yeah there are definitely some great twists and turns. I remember my jaw dropping when Dickson shot Shulk, I knew something was up for him but didn't expect that. Then Zanza coming out of Shulk, Meyneth materialising a Monado and then getting owned. Oh man, and of course Egil being awesome. Had to scrape my jaw off the ground the first time through.

Mechonis Core and the whole sequence with Egil at the top of the Mechonis is my favorite part of the game. I love most of all that the "boss fight" had a full view of the entire game world. I wish it could have lasted longer.

Fandangox

One touch I really like about the game is how each armor and weapon changes as you equip/unequip them.

It's been a while since I can recall the last RPG that did this(P3/P4 I think).

Even Sharla's most beneficial armor set is also the most revealing.

Oh Japan

I liked this... until the most useful armor ended up looking the worst, some of these armor designs are terrible. I prefer how the Last Story did it, it allowed you to edit individual parts of an armor, color it, take parts of, etc.

It seems Xenoblade Chronichles X will let you use an armor set with the stats from another armor, although this is apparently unlocked after beating the game.

First time playing this game its great fun and cool but i gotta say the visuals are PSP level i feel that the New 3DS can do better they should have went with another art style or something .. that being said I'm enjoying it

TheMoon

First time playing this game its great fun and cool but i gotta say the visuals are PSP level i feel that the New 3DS can do better they should have went with another art style or something .. that being said I'm enjoying it

they can't just pull another art style out of their butt for a port.

I liked this... until the most useful armor ended up looking the worst, some of these armor designs are terrible. I prefer how the Last Story did it, it allowed you to edit individual parts of an armor, color it, take parts of, etc.

It seems Xenoblade Chronichles X will let you use an armor set with the stats from another armor, although this is apparently unlocked after beating the game.

If true, that would be sick and would give me more of an excuse to wear fashionably impractical armor.

TheMoon

If true, that would be sick and would give me more of an excuse to wear fashionably impractical armor.

Not if. That was one of the recent tweets from Kojima.

Now see, this would be considered interesting.

Kojima's saying it's difficult to find things to tweet about, especially with the Doll/Network video on the 10th. As a teaser, he explains a bit about the "Fashion Equipment" option in the menu, that allows you to change the outward appearance of your gear while their keeping stats, that unlocks after the "ending." And to the people who might spend forever on their character, it's probably not set in stone once you start the game.

I still don't think I'm getting the hang of using Melia. Any tips?

She can hold up to three Summons at a time. To maximize a buff, it's recommended that you pick one (Earth for defense, Lightning for damage), and summon it first. Then Summon Copy to clone it. These buffs will stay out as long as you don't fire them off at the opponent. Use your other Summons as attacks. So your third summon will be whatever you're going to fire off immediately. Once you've launched it, summon another and launch it. So if you want to maximize defense, it should look like: Summon Earth -> Summon Copy -> Summon 2nd Element -> Discharge 2nd Element -> Summon 3rd Element -> Discharge 3rd Element -> Continue. She discharges elements in reverse order from when they were summoned, so just keep in mind you want to summon the buff you intend to keep for the fight first, and then Copy it to double the effect. If the cooloff on that buff is about to wear off, feel free to fire the copy and the original and immediately bring them back.

Also, spam Spear Break + Starlight Kick as often as possible. Using these in succession is an instant Topple on most enemies.

Hope that helps.

random25

Some easy strategies I apply using Melia:

Summon Element Strategy:

Use Summon Wind as a start elemental, then Summon Copy next. This will give the party nearby Agility boost for evasion and hit rate improvement. Then Summon Bolt for third element as the main attack spell. After summoning it, discharge it for one big damage. Then summon another offensive element to discharge it as an attack spell. Then if the effect of the buff wears off, discharge every element then repeat it.

Easy Topple Strategy:

Well, it's Spear Break then Starlight Kick. Easy topple. Just make sure your attacks hit though and in order. Best if you have a support member that can Daze like Shulk.

"Slow Cook" strategy:

Have Summon Flare, Summon Ice and Summon Earth as your main elements and have Shadow Stitch. Go near your targets and use Shadow Stitch. Then move at a distance away from enemies' reach and discharge your spells. With the Blaze, Chill and Poison damage you'll slowly destroy opponents while out of enemies' harm. Works best with Riki too to continue the status effects at work.

As for builds for Melia, obviously attach gems that will improve her Ether attacks, as well as improving her elemental damage. She really doesn't need strength improvements as her damage output is more on using spells rather than physical attacks, but improve her agility as well as she's the weakest in terms of defense so might as well improve her ability to evade, and it also increases her accuracy to land her physical arts for easy topple. Honesty and Reliability skill trees are recommended to be finished first.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Easy Topple Strategy:

Well, it's Spear Break then Starlight Kick. Easy topple. Just make sure your attacks hit though and in order. Best if you have a support member that can Daze like Shulk.

While this is technically the easiest topple to do, it's also the worst in the game. You can't combo topples off of it, or use it to combo on other topples. I think daze works after it... but I honestly don't remember. Unless they changed it in the 3DS version, but I doubt it, since that without that limitation it would probably be too good.

Doing a preliminary run before I record, both so I can get back into the swing of playing Xenoblade, get an idea of how I'm going to do everything, and load all the shader cache so it's not lagging while I record.

Cellar Bugworm is clearly the "boss" of Colony 9, had to do some collectopedia shenanigans to beat him at level 11. Other than the first couple which were tough due to having really crummy equipment, the rest were easy enough.

Worst luck trying to gem craft though. Trying to break down gems and Reyn is getting fevers left and right and my cylinders are going over... finally get some broken down near 100 and now Shulk won't get fevers at all... and he's supposed to get them "easily."

Edit: Oh nice, a fever... with ALL GENTLE FLAMES.

Edit edit: There we go, all strong flame fever. Mega heating level 1 gems, baby.

TheMoon

What's up with the "B" QTE at the start of each fight?

Read the in-game tutorial, it tells you all about these things.
And:
->

The initial B button prompt is called Battle Start Affinity. It increases Tension, which increases crit rate among other things. The closer you time your button press to when the lines overlap, the better your initial boost. Same is true for when the B button prompt appears during battle though that will increase Affinity between party members as well as Tension (and is called Burst Affinity).

Neon colored beam means you can do a chain attack. (Aka the neon blue bar on the top left - the Party Gauge - is completely filled. You also use that bar to revive party members and some other things). You can fill the bar during battle by landing critical hits (random, but higher when high Tension and with proper optimization), getting Art bonus effects (ie. Positional bonuses like Back Slash from behind or Slit Edge from the side), and by nailing your Burst Affinities.

In other words, nail your B button prompts!

B button battle initiations also 'encourages' party members, this means you get the <3 for it: I think the formal name is "Burst Affinity".

First, it raises the character's tension ---- essentially their morale as shown by their battle portrait (they look angrier and, literally, 'fired up'). Tension affects the accuracy of attacks, the amount of damage during chain attacks, and the probability of "critical healing".

Second, it raises affinity between the characters, making it easier to do chain attacks in the future.

And a small third: Affinity can also help when creating Gems (the weapon power-up attachments). More than likely you'll be able to build a quick and budding friendship with Reyn given he's the first and longest staying party member.

So yeah, initiate those battles!

Percy

Banned
"Lets keep pressing on... and on... AND ON!"

Christ the english voice acting in this is just as bad as I recall from the Wii version.

Despite that, I'm enjoying this a lot more than I expected on initial impressions. Still looks terrible, but still plays great at the same time.

random25

While this is technically the easiest topple to do, it's also the worst in the game. You can't combo topples off of it, or use it to combo on other topples. I think daze works after it... but I honestly don't remember. Unless they changed it in the 3DS version, but I doubt it, since that without that limitation it would probably be too good.

I'm pretty sure you can inflict Daze after easy topple from Melia, just like a normal topple status that can be followed up with daze. Unless I'm misremembering something about the said arts that have those limitations.

Ventara

This is the first game exclusive to the N3DS. What makes you think it can do better? Consider the HUGE environments this game has and all the wildlife roaming it. I honestly feel that it kinda amazing the game to run. Putting in a simplistic artstyle would take away greatly from the game's experience, not to mention would pretty much require a remake.

Though if you're just starting out, I think you'll come to love the artstyle and direction the game has.

"Lets keep pressing on... and on... AND ON!"

Christ the english voice acting in this is just as bad as I recall from the Wii version.

Despite that, I'm enjoying this a lot more than I expected on initial impressions. Still looks terrible, but still plays great at the same time.

You meant amazing, right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I like how dejected they look. You can't be more successful than this. It's literally impossible.

sHmxrvL.jpg

And another 99 Muscle Up. Niiice.

Ventara

I like how dejected they look. You can't be more successful than this. It's literally impossible.

That's pretty good. Is this close to end-game or something, or can I make them reletively early on? I still haven't dabbled in gem crafting, though that's because I haven't found one since Colony 9.

You can do it as soon as you finish the "prologue" events and are ready to leave Colony 9.

Nice!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty good. Is this close to end-game or something, or can I make them reletively early on? I still haven't dabbled in gem crafting, though that's because I haven't found one since Colony 9.

You can do it as soon as you finish the "prologue" events and are ready to leave Colony 9.

Generally, gem crafting isn't terribly useful early in the game because you're not going to be good at it, and the gems you will get will be really weak. I'm not doing a typical run through the game though, so I'm trying to give myself some advantages (however small).

ilium

My general strategy with her looks like this:

Summon Bolt (+20% ether)
Summon Copy
Summon Earth
Release
Summon Flare
Release
Summon Ice
Release

Couple her with Riki and your DoTs are going to melt away pretty much everything. If you are fighting something hard, you can Copy summon earth in the beginning for a pretty hefty defense boost to the party.

Parshias7

Summon Bolt > Summon Copy > Summon Fire > Discharge > Summon Ice > Discharge > Summon Earth > Discharge > Discharge your Bolts and resummon/copy and repeat the cycle.

Throw in Spear Break > Starlight Kick for the unstoppable Topple.

EDIT: I'm too slow!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's because Shulk's shirt and shorts clearly don't match. And when you go out of the house with a terrible outfit, the universe just isn't worth saving. ;D

Tell the UMs to drop better stuff that matches then! :D So far they really like dropping some weapons for Ryen, and not much else. Did get several messenger boots, which are really nice early on (good stats and an agility II gem).

Xenofashion Chronicles

Tell the UMs to drop better stuff that matches then! :D So far they really like dropping some weapons for Ryen, and not much else. Did get several messenger boots, which are really nice early on (good stats and an agility II gem).

For the most part I love how absurd a lot of their gear looks; it cracks me up. But if something looks just horrifically stupid, I'll refuse to put it on them - stats be damned. No joke.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My general strategy with her looks like this:

Summon Bolt (+20% ether)
Summon Copy
Summon Earth
Release
Summon Flare
Release
Summon Ice
Release

Couple her with Riki and your DoTs are going to melt away pretty much everything. If you are fighting something hard, you can Copy summon earth in the beginning for a pretty hefty defense boost to the party.

early on you are best off just going all bolt, with wind to summon when you need another element. It's simple and effective.

Hugstable

Banned
Well that was strange, tried to make a gem and had my volume all the way up, and while creating the gem my 3ds started letting out large crackles from the sound. Is this happening to anyone else during these parts? I really hope my speakers arent already blown :(

Parshias7

Well that was strange, tried to make a gem and had my volume all the way up, and while creating the gem my 3ds started letting out large crackles from the sound. Is this happening to anyone else during these parts? I really hope my speakers arent already blown :(

It was happening to me yesterday when I was fast-forwarding through the crafting process. I don't think I've heard any crackling anywhere else.

Xenofashion Chronicles

I love how no matter how ridiculous the armor looks, MonoliftSoft/Monster manage to make every cutscene I've seen so far ingame, so it really looks silly when Shulk and Reyn bro talk while with zero armor or while wearing really stupid looking armor.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is my second time through Xenoblade and I'm really focusing on completely all the quests I can in an area before I move on. Because of this, I'm pretty overleveled. But on the plus side, I can pretty much wear whatever armor looks best instead of having to wear whatever gives me the best stats. Fashion all the way.

Fushin

Had to force myself not to pick up my 3DS last night when I was going to sleep or else I would have been up all night playing this game. Easily my favorite RPG since Chrono Trigger and Pokemon.

DagsJT

Still haven't started this despite having it for a couple of days. I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and not sure I'd be able to handle two RPG's. I think I'm a fair way into DA:I though so I should get onto Xenoblade before long.

Top Bottom