• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Had to force myself not to pick up my 3DS last night when I was going to sleep or else I would have been up all night playing this game. Easily my favorite RPG since Chrono Trigger and Pokemon.
Same, putting it down has been a genuine challenge! There's so much to do in it that has true depth to it, I love it.

Parshias7

is there any generally considered "best" party?

Honestly, all the characters are good. I'm sure there's some min-maxer out there who has formulated the absolute best party for certain situations, but outside of the endgame optional challenge uniques just about any set up should be fine. Some party set ups might be pretty rough, like Reyn/Dunban/Seven doesn't have any healing arts, but I could see that group handling regular enemies just through damage output.

When do more models and music tracks become available to unlock? All I have is the initial set that was available when you first boot up the game.

depward

I wish I had more time in the day to play more of this.

Xenoblade virgin and really enjoying it thus far. I'm scratching the scratching of the surface (two hours in).

Parshias7

When do more models and music tracks become available to unlock? All I have is the initial set that was available when you first boot up the game.

I think its just story progression. I know I checked it when I had just entered Satorl Marsh and I had like 30+ in each category.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having more trouble with the AI than I remember...

Sharla, what the hell are you doing to get yourself killed like 10 seconds into a fight??

Serrato

I like the fact you're not forced to use Shulk all the time in the party, but at the same time it's his story. And he's one (if not the best? I didn't crunch numbers) good DPS. And he has the Monado.

Basically, without Shulk it's ''hard'' mode, I think. Excepted certain boss?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The last half of the game I used Riki strictly as the player controlled character, rotating everyone else in and out. I remember someone on GAF saying they couldn't take the game seriously because of Riki, but I love the little furball.

Junahu

healing draws a ton of aggro early on.
Healing builds aggro? I never noticed this, thanks to Reyn being the figurative center of the universe for aggro.

Richisawesome said:
Just got to level 72 and Reyn has maxed out HP. 9999/9999. Reyn time!
Aw man, it maxes at four digits!? I'm at level 39 and my Reyn is decked out with 8539 HP.

Serrato

The last half of the game I used Riki strictly as the player controlled character, rotating everyone else in and out. I remember someone on GAF saying they couldn't take the game seriously because of Riki, but I love the little furball.

He was my third char most of the game after I got him. He just can be useful in every situation, which is good. Well that was during my Wii Playthrough, i'll probably do another party this time on N3DS.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
healing draws a ton of aggro early on.

She hadn't even healed, or at least not more than once. It was literally around 10 seconds. I still don't even know what happened. All three enemies were on Reyn, then the next thing I know I'm hearing here call out to Gadolt and see her blue KO portrait.

TDLink

I like the fact you're not forced to use Shulk all the time in the party, but at the same time it's his story. And he's one (if not the best? I didn't crunch numbers) good DPS. And he has the Monado.

Reyn and sharla don't do particularly great dps, but that's not really their natural roles. Every other character can be on par or better than shulk. I personally love dunban.

My girlfriend grabbed the 3DS version at launch, so I took that as an opportunity to take the plastic off of my Wii copy. Sadly we're having fairly different opinions on the game, but she's having difficulty getting used to the battle system. I don't think she's encountered any RPGs with an aggro system/auto attack before, so I can see finding this one to be a massive change of pace.

I put a lot of my day yesterday into it. I'm off into the second major zone, and it finally feels like I've escaped the tutorial. I am absolutely shocked by the sheer volume of game mechanics in this thing, but I think I'm really falling in love with the game.

I looked at the two versions side by side, and I'm honestly shocked at how great the 3DS version looks and runs. It felt essentially identical. Only reason I wouldn't switch from the Wii is the amazing soundtrack that I would rather listen to on the fancy speakers.

random25

Over time though you get a lot less dependent on the Monado's power. Still, Shulk is the best all-around fighter with the variety of his arts.

I've been trying to avoid putting many Strength Up gems on Shulk since he already draws aggro pretty quick without them. Instead I've just given Reyn half a dozen of them while Shulk's extra slots have Agility Up gems in case he still gets targeted.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Healing builds aggro? I never noticed this, thanks to Reyn being the figurative center of the universe for aggro.

I wish he was, controlling Shulk, I am constantly drawing aggro from him. Shulk basically tanked half my fight against Violent Andante. Fortunately I have him loaded with Agility gems so he dodges pretty well, but it's still early goings, and he's not good at it.

ivysaur12

Banned
I used Shulk the entire time through the Wii version -- I'm trying to change it up. Using Sharla right now and she feels rather passive because she's really all buffs and Cool Down. She feels so removed from the action.

Serrato

I used Shulk the entire time through the Wii version -- I'm trying to change it up. Using Sharla right now and she feels rather passive because she's really all buffs and Cool Down. She feels so removed from the action.

I think she is the least fun char to play, although she is super useful on certain fights.

Personally I think Reyn's a lot more fun to control than Sharla. Especially now that I'm actually paying attention to his Aura arts on this playthrough.

Rich!

About to enter the infamous frame rate hell that is the
lorithia battle before Prison Island Part II

Let's see if its improved over the Wii version....likely not.

Considering a lot of the fights are so up close, I wish she had the option for a ranged attack and a melee attack. Controlling her just to debuff/do minimal DMG with her Elemental bullets/healing bullet(seriously?) isn't fun.

jrDev

Is there no bestiary in the game? The residents talk about killing monsters for them but sometimes I don't even remember what they are supposed to be...

Also,
killing Fiora was brutal.
:-/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Napping Volfen was an ugly fight, that nearly got even uglier. A group of ponios decided to join in, and I won right as Territorial Rotbart was walking by.

Funny how easy story bosses are in comparison to the UMs.

Xbro

Is there no bestiary in the game? The residents talk about killing monsters for them but sometimes I don't even remember what they are supposed to be...

Also,
killing Fiora was brutal.
:-/
There should be a quest log in the menu. I wouldn't worry about a lot of the monster quests though, they should resolve themselves. Only time you should even consider pursuing a quest is if it is from a named NPC.
About to enter the infamous frame rate hell that is the
lorithia battle before Prison Island Part II

Let's see if its improved over the Wii version....likely not.
That is pretty much unanimously the worst boss fight.

ivysaur12

Banned
Considering a lot of the fights are so up close, I wish she had the option for a ranged attack and a melee attack. Controlling her just to debuff/do minimal DMG with her Elemental buttes/healing bullet(seriously?) isn't fun.

Yeah, it seems like this has been greatly rebalanced in XBX. The idea behind playing as Sharla as fun, and she's good to have in the party, but yeah. Oh well!

Zing

Banned
I enjoy using Sharla's sleep bullet for crowd control and keeping everyone alive. Anyone who enjoyed being the cleric in EQ or WoW could have fun with her.

TDLink

Play Dunban once you get him. Thank me later.

My girlfriend grabbed the 3DS version at launch, so I took that as an opportunity to take the plastic off of my Wii copy. Sadly we're having fairly different opinions on the game, but she's having difficulty getting used to the battle system. I don't think she's encountered any RPGs with an aggro system/auto attack before, so I can see finding this one to be a massive change of pace.

I put a lot of my day yesterday into it. I'm off into the second major zone, and it finally feels like I've escaped the tutorial. I am absolutely shocked by the sheer volume of game mechanics in this thing, but I think I'm really falling in love with the game.

I looked at the two versions side by side, and I'm honestly shocked at how great the 3DS version looks and runs. It felt essentially identical. Only reason I wouldn't switch from the Wii is the amazing soundtrack that I would rather listen to on the fancy speakers.

I'm four hours into the 3DS version. Still not sure if I like the game. Definitely don't dislike it though, so I'll keep going, but for a game this long you kind of have to really like it to make it to the end.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Overheating should have changed her artes into offensive ones for a short time period instad of making Sharla useless. She's really bad when you get into the late game as she'll always overheat and mess up your chain attacks.

I'm four hours into the 3DS version. Still not sure if I like the game. Definitely don't dislike it though, so I'll keep going, but for a game this long you kind of have to really like it to make it to the end.
I am leaning on the "like" side after 30 hours of play, but not loving it as much as Nintendo fans say it in threads. At least it is overall better than my experience with W101.

Rich!

Holy fucking shit

Endgame spoilers

just fighting the lorathia battle in the Bionis heart...and the frame rate is rock solid, unlike the wii version! Aw yes

Yo fuck these bosses that needs me to chain attack to do damage to them. I do not like that part of this game. I'm looking at you
Xord

Anyone have any advice for me to beat this asshole?

I'm at level 25. This shit isn't hard but the wave after wave wears my teammates down and once we build up for a chain Sharla fucking dies. I manage to pull off a chain once and we barely scratche'd him.

I love this game so far but hate these required chain attacks to kill these fuckers. That shit is not fun.

Edit: This is my
first time fighting Xord, don't know if I face him again but please don't spoil it for me.

Brakke

Banned
Whaaaaaat the fuck with that spider boss?? I have no clue what to do. There are one million lil guys and I don't have any kind of AOE at all. Just get overwhelmed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Whaaaaaat the fuck with that spider boss?? I have no clue what to do. There are one million lil guys and I don't have any kind of AOE at all. Just get overwhelmed.

The first one? Reyn and Shulk both have one AoE attack each (Monado Buster is kind of an AOE attack because of how big the swing is)

Xbro

Yo fuck these bosses that needs me to chain attack to do damage to them. I do not like that part of this game. I'm looking at you
Xord

Anyone have any advice for me to beat this asshole?

I'm at level 25. This shit isn't hard but the wave after wave wears my teammates down and once we build up for a chain Sharla fucking dies. I manage to pull off a chain once and we barely scratche'd him.

I love this game so far but hate these required chain attacks to kill these fuckers. That shit is not fun.

Edit: This is my
first time fighting Xord, don't know if I face him again but please don't spoil it for me.
In the ether mine right?

I remember I had some trouble on this, but for now keep the aggro on Reyn, keep your healing up with sharla, and build up your party gauge with Shulk. You'll want to build some tension before initiating a chain attack. You'll want to break / topple / <anything> / buster during the chain. This should get a huge buster that is 4x damage. This should be a one-hit KO if done right, if not then it shouldn't take long after to finish him off before the topple ends.

If you are having trouble getting your tension up for a longer chain, switch Sharla to the front, Reyn to the second, and Shulk to the third. This is risky because Shulk might use buster or enchant before you initiate a chain. If you can pull it off, you can get a break with sharla, topple with reyn and a 3x buster with shulk.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The first one? Reyn and Shulk both have one AoE attack each (Monado Buster is kind of an AOE attack because of how big the swing is)

Buster can definitely be AOE, but Stream Edge is definitely more reliable for a wide range with Buster hitting a few enemies in a straight line.

TDLink

Just Monado shield at the right times. It really isn't that tough. And your guys do have AoE. If you're still having a problem try leveling a touch. At level 13/14 or higher it should be a piece of cake.

Top Bottom