• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
And holy shit is this game suited for a handheld. I would even say I prefer it on the 3DS than on the Wii or even in 1080p via Dolphin just for that reason.

I wouldn't agree with this overall. The game is gorgeous in Dolphin (plus you get a fast forward button!) and the music demands a good sound system, but I'm finding side questing is much more enjoyable on the 3DS.

I still wish they had scaled back the exp gain, but I'm having a ton of fun with this version. It's astonishing how well it works as a handheld game. It makes me pretty excited to play X on the Gamepad.

Alex

I really didnt understand the hype.... until this game clicked hard... loving it!

I played it back when it came out originally but while I still have the same mild reservations with the game I do very much enjoy it overall. It's just a wonderful mixture of good elements from both 90s and 00s JRPGs. You get that to the point, no nonsense, adventure-y nature and mix it with more elaborate system design and polished up free roaming elements, it really worked out well on the whole.

It's also a modern JRPG that's not a mediocre Wizardry clone that exists to shill creepy art or a watered down school life or relationship link game so that's always a cause for mild celebration.

Only glaring issue I ever really had with Xenoblade was the quest design, it's not even just on how dated the design is but how much power creep it seeps into the main campaign, especially earlier on. That's one thing I wished they would have meddled with, in this port: cleaning up quests and doing something with balance.

ngower

Playing this game for the first time on the n3DS and GOOD GOD I feel like I'm gonna need to buy a notebook with all the tutorials that keep popping up. I'm like 30-40 mins in and can barely keep track of all the mechanics they keep throwing at me. Anything especially important I should pay attention to in these early goings?

Seik

Banned
Just reached Makna Forest, I'm really loving the job done on this port so far, everything feels so intact (textures and resolution aside) and the framerate seems pretty solid to me.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm not sure I would post that
I keep doing sidequests, someone save me!

_f21a8e1a23.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really do think Xenoblade 3D is a technological marvel, and a fantastic port. It's my first time playing a handheld game with such a vast world, and somehow it's wowing me more than when I played Xenoblade on Wii.

It really is absolutely fucking spectacular.

I keep doing sidequests, someone save me!

Every time I play Xenoblade I end up doing every possible side quest in every zone. I can't help it.

I'm at like 25 hours right now, and still only in the Nopon village. My playthrough is going to be 120 hours again.

Gidim

Banned
So I got a New 3DS when it came out, was waiting for this game but after seeing gameplay video I'm not sure its worth purchasing. The visuals are just too downgraded. I started the game on Dolphin instead and might pick up Monster Hunter 4U.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So I got a New 3DS when it came out, was waiting for this game but after seeing gameplay video I'm not sure its worth purchasing. The visuals are just too downgraded. I started the game on Dolphin instead and might pick up Monster Hunter 4U.

I'm the kind of person that forgets about graphics a couple hours into a game, but I do think that on the small screen, it still looks great.

Lumyst

I had a nearly identical experience with this game (the Wii version) as you did, imagine that :p (Down to becoming enthuthiastic about trying all kinds of games on Nintendo's platforms rather than the usual ones I mistakenly came to think were the best Nintendo had to offer.) I was one of those people who for whatever reason came to think Mario and Zelda were the only things worthwhile on Nintendo's platforms. Something must have happened several years into the Wii's life that caused many of their core fans to lose touch with Nintendo, unfortunately. I have my hunches about what happened but that's way off topic, haha

Serrato

So many of you guys are first time players? Impressions so far? Especially of the plot twists!
Did you get spoiled by any of the Xenoblade stuff in Smash bros?

It's my second time and I think I even enjoy it more. It's been a couple of years so I forgot most of the plot (excepted the huge twists and such but eh, better than nothing) and really enjoy the portability of the game which make it so good.

Brakke

Banned
So many of you guys are first time players? Impressions so far? Especially of the plot twists!
Did you get spoiled by any of the Xenoblade stuff in Smash bros?

It's my first time and I'm floored by how much I'm enjoying it. I played on Wii a while ago (like after Xbox One and PS4 were out...) and didn't even get past the attack on Colony 9 before giving up, it was just too ugly / janky and I lost steam immediately. I think it benefits a lot from going handheld: the platform ends up handicapping some flaws and exentuating some strengths. I just unlocked the repair of Colony Six on this play.

The take-it-or-leave-it quests are really cool on mobile. If I only have a short bus or a couple minutes or whatever I'll knock off a kill-five-rag-rappies or whatever. It took a little while for me to warm up on the combat but especially after the Xord fight I'm totally into it.

I've been especially surprised by how much I like the story. It's nothing super creative so far--The Reluctant Boy Of Destiny, guided by an Older Mentor, is driven to Defeat Evil after a Personal Tragedy spurs him on an Adventure--but I like the Mechonis/Bionis setting and Reyn is fun and it's all presented well. The tone is a good split between goofy and savage and earnest / sincere. I super hate stories with prophecies tho so I'm kind of worried about it going forward.

The controls are a little clunky--especially the weight on the camera nub and trying to cycle through possible targets--and the game is ugly as sin but I'm definitely enjoying the hell out of it. Haven't been this sucked into a handheld game in a long time.

The take-it-or-leave-it quests are really cool on mobile. If I only have a short bus or a couple minutes or whatever I'll knock off a kill-five-rag-rappies or whatever. It took a little while for me to warm up on the combat but especially after the Xord fight I'm totally into it.

Oh, you. Why does loving the original Phantasy Star Online have to be so painful these days. :-(

TDLink

I've been especially surprised by how much I like the story. It's nothing super creative so far--The Reluctant Boy Of Destiny, guided by an Older Mentor, is driven to Defeat Evil after a Personal Tragedy spurs him on an Adventure--but I like the Mechonis/Bionis setting and Reyn is fun and it's all presented well. The tone is a good split between goofy and savage and earnest / sincere. I super hate stories with prophecies tho so I'm kind of worried about it going forward.

The first time I played the game I really enjoyed how it was essentially just a revenge plot. It creates some moments for Shulk that are pretty out of the norm for a JRPG hero.

And yeah, of course, the story does get more complicated and in depth than that down the road.

P.S. Now that you're past Xord you get to play Dunban da God, best character.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just beat Xord here. I know I'm taking it very slow. Beating all the sidequests. Now the fun begins.
And I never realized about Desiree! I love little things like that.

ivysaur12

Banned
I can't remember: is it worth have Melia in the party as the AI, or is the AI really bad? Dunban is god-tier fun and I think I'd rather play as him than Melia. But if not:

What's the best strategy with her buffs? Immediately launch them, or wait until they're about to cooldown, launch them, and then get the buffs again?

TDLink

I can't remember: is it worth have Melia in the party as the AI, or is the AI really bad? Dunban is god-tier fun and I think I'd rather play as him than Melia. But if not:

What's the best strategy with her buffs? Immediately launch them, or wait until they're about to cooldown, launch them, and then get the buffs again?

Yeah Melia's AI is butt. Not really worth using her unless you're going to play her yourself. You don't really need Melia in your party except for like one boss fight though. So if you like Dunban more, don't feel guilty. Riki is a pretty good substitute if you still want good Ether damage (and he also heals everyone and recharges the party gauge).

For Melia's buffs it really depends on which ones you are using and how you are playing her. Are you wanting to use her like a support or a damage dealer? I like to keep the Aqua (regen) buff up if I am supplementing heals so you don't want to use that right away. Keep in mind you can use Summon copy as well to basically get the buff and then still use a spell.

WarAdept

Entirely depends on the enemy. Usually it's the buff you want x2 (Summon Copy the first Art), then either summon and launch the 3rd Summon only or go full totem pole with 3 buffs and spam debuffs/Force topple.

Bolt/Wind/Earth are the most relevant buffs, with the latter 2 important if you're underlevelled against whatever you're facing. Bolt buff is exclusively if you actually want to do damage.

As for the Discharges, the DoT's do by far the most damage (Earth, Ice and Flame in that order) and will serve for boss battles far better than Bolt spam will. Save Bolt spam for trash mobs.

Just left Colony 9 and I'm really confused by Shulk's entire character. He's appears to be a scientist of some sort, but is also a teenager? People treat him as if he's their foremost/only expert on Manado research, but he's also an expert swordfighter despite it being stated that he spends days huddling in the lab?

Also I can't get a peg on his level of intelligence. Again, he appears to be a scientist, which should mean he's much smarter than the average Joe, but he does really dumb shit like
deciding not to warn Reyn about his premonition of the spider attack despite them already establishing the Monado allows him to see into the future, and Reyn believing him.

alvis.exe

Playing this game for the first time on the n3DS and GOOD GOD I feel like I'm gonna need to buy a notebook with all the tutorials that keep popping up. I'm like 30-40 mins in and can barely keep track of all the mechanics they keep throwing at me. Anything especially important I should pay attention to in these early goings?

The early tutorials are the most important. Read them, practice them, and ask questions if you still don't get anything. For what it's worth I didn't feel like I had a good grasp of everything until I was hours into the game but once it clicked it clicked. Went from being unable to keep track of my own HP to being able to keep track of multiple buffs, debuffs, auras, HP, cooldowns, the Party Gauge, all at once. Just keep at it. And read!

Just left Colony 9 and I'm really confused by Shulk's entire character. He's appears to be a scientist of some sort, but is also a teenager? People treat him as if he's their foremost/only expert on Manado research, but he's also an expert swordfighter despite it being stated that he spends days huddling in the lab?

Also I can't get a peg on his level of intelligence. Again, he appears to be a scientist, which should mean he's much smarter than the average Joe, but he does really dumb shit like
deciding not to warn Reyn about his premonition of the spider attack despite them already establishing the Monado allows him to see into the future, and Reyn believing him.

He's an 18 year old weapons engineer/researcher with the Defense Force so he does know his way around a sword. However, his animations also make it clear he's not much of an expert but seeing the future really helps out in that regard lol.

His main flaw is that early on, he tends to overthink things and gets stuck on the fact that he
sees people dying in his visions
and isn't sure how to react. It gets addressed really soon though so just keep playing.

Besides, any JRPG lead who says a line like (super vague quote)
"if the Monado really is useless then why would you want it for yourself?"
is on the smart end of the scale in my book haha.

Brakke

Banned
Oh, you. Why does loving the original Phantasy Star Online have to be so painful these days. :-(

<3
;_;

The first time I played the game I really enjoyed how it was essentially just a revenge plot. It creates some moments for Shulk that are pretty out of the norm for a JRPG hero.

And yeah, of course, the story does get more complicated and in depth than that down the road.

P.S. Now that you're past Xord you get to play Dunban da God, best character.

Yeah he's got those "stat bonus for playing naked" skills deep on his tree... They're interesting but also I wouldn't want to share them out to anyone else so I might not pursue them?

Hey if some people can just reply to this post telling me to buy the game, that'd really help me go buy the game, thanks.

Get it. Stick with it. It's worth it.

El Odio

Banned
Bwhahaha! Ether Mine Spoilers:
Even the second time around that excahnge between Metal Face and Dickson of. "Look at this metal brain!" "THAT IT GRANDPA!?" "Running out of ideas here..." is still as hilarious as the first playthrough.

random25

He is more of an engineer and researcher. He has combat skills, but very basic that is why Reyn is always with him whenever he goes out and do field work. He ain't the strong one, but he isn't your typical wimpy nerdy kid.

He also does the research on the Monado because he was also under Dickson's mentorship, which is also the old wise man there even if it's not that explicit.
And there's also a connection between them and the Monado as well, but save it for later.

And he does things like that like keeping some things to himself until later. Part of his personality, maybe? But yeah, it's his one bad trait lol.

ramyeon

Trying to farm Newgate Laia for the slotted Lancelot Armour and it's a pain in the ass. Half the time they're too far off in the distance to even target and if they're close enough their AI gets stuck behind the fencing around the area meaning the chest just drops down into nothingness.

Rich!

Trying to farm Newgate Laia for the slotted Lancelot Armour and it's a pain in the ass. Half the time they're too far off in the distance to even target and if they're close enough their AI gets stuck behind the fencing around the area meaning the chest just drops down into nothingness.

Bait them onto the larger area before the smaller bridge with the deinos on it.

ramyeon

Bait them onto the larger area before the smaller bridge with the deinos on it.
Unfortunately all of them are too far off in the distance to lure there. Can't even hit them with Melia's arts. There's only like one within reach. Maybe if I was lower level they'd aggro to me :/

ramyeon

Just finished this off now. Man this game was even more fun the second time around. Probably gonna leave it at this for now and revisit it again later on down the track, I'm sure I'll get sucked into the amazing world again whenever it is I decide to do so.

60 hours, level 85. Good times. Just sitting and staring at the title screen for a bit now.

Rich!

Just finished this off now. Man this game was even more fun the second time around. Probably gonna leave it at this for now and revisit it again later on down the track, I'm sure I'll get sucked into the amazing world again whenever it is I decide to do so.

60 hours, level 85. Good times. Just sitting and staring at the title screen for a bit now.

But you haven't done the giants quests!

Alright, just showed that big spider the back of my hand and now my bro Reyn and I are at the Bionis' knee. I'm sure that's pretty much nowhere in the grand scheme of things, but I think this is the first JRPG I've played since Final Fantasy 9 so I'm happy with my progress so far. Big thanks to all you duders who helped me out a couple of pages ago; I'm Break -> Toppling like a champ now and steamrolling all these sumbitches :p

ramyeon

I know but in xenoblade locations are kinda of considered spoilers

because it's better for the play to view the world with clean eyes.
Oh it definitely is, I went in completely blind first time around. Didn't even visit the thread here I believe. That said it's an old game and I think posting screenshots like that is fair game - if you really wanted to be playing completely blind you wouldn't come to a thread discussing it.

Late game and story related stuff is different, however.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright, just showed that big spider the back of my hand and now my bro Reyn and I are at the Bionis' knee. I'm sure that's pretty much nowhere in the grand scheme of things, but I think this is the first JRPG I've played since Final Fantasy 9 so I'm happy with my progress so far. Big thanks to all you duders who helped me out a couple of pages ago; I'm Break -> Toppling like a champ now and steamrolling all these sumbitches :p

Early on, power up Shulk's backslash art and wait until Reyen has aggro so you can swing around and stab fools in the back. So satisfying. Be sure to Side slash first to increase your backslash damage.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Dickson shifty as fuuuuuuck that guy's a total traitor/double agent/something, huh?

They telegraph that pretty early on, so it's kinda obvious. But you'll never guess the extent of it. Even knowing that doesn't ruin any surprises later.

Xbro

Oh there's definitely more to it.

jorgejjvr

I had a nearly identical experience with this game (the Wii version) as you did, imagine that :p (Down to becoming enthuthiastic about trying all kinds of games on Nintendo's platforms rather than the usual ones I mistakenly came to think were the best Nintendo had to offer.) I was one of those people who for whatever reason came to think Mario and Zelda were the only things worthwhile on Nintendo's platforms. Something must have happened several years into the Wii's life that caused many of their core fans to lose touch with Nintendo, unfortunately. I have my hunches about what happened but that's way off topic, haha

Great to know I am not alone! And yep, after trying out xenoblade and exceeding all my expectations, I no longer had problems trying new games. Another one that grabbed me was Fire Emblem awakening, my first in the series, I have been missing out!!! I now can try whatever, anything from a gory game, to a beautiful shooter like splatoon, to a platformer like DK:TF, strategy rpg like FE, Bravely default etc. I am very glad I picked xeno that one day on a wimp, it changed my appreciation for games forever, and it has allowed me to open up my gaming library

Hugstable

Banned
Great to know I am not alone! And yep, after trying out xenoblade and exceeding all my expectations, I no longer had problems trying new games. Another one that grabbed me was Fire Emblem awakening, my first in the series, I have been missing out!!! I now can try whatever, anything from a gory game, to a beautiful shooter like splatoon, to a platformer like DK:TF, strategy rpg like FE, Bravely default etc. I am very glad I picked xeno that one day on a wimp, it changed my appreciation for games forever, and it has allowed me to open up my gaming library

You need to atleast play FE7! It's on GBA VC!

jorgejjvr

You are describing my experience to a T. Ditto with Fire Emblem.

Xenoblade Chronicles was the first jrpg I beat since Final Fantasy 7. I came close with others but never went through. I think for me, personally, it was getting tired of the same genres and recycled ideas.

Love Fire Emblem Awakening.

Likewise, brother from another mother?

It is a great feeling to be able to look forward to the next FE, and X!!! I feel bad for my past self, ignoring these games just because.

And oh, here is a recent one, I actually DID try MH Tri, and I played it for awhile, but it did not stuck, but I gave it a try. Regardless, I heard about 4, played the demo and I fell in love with the gameplay, mounting, and Insect Glaive weapon...bought the game....and sure enough I love it, I have over 200 hours on it!

Top Bottom