• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Tried this last night for the first time. Literally popped it in for 5 minutes and then returned to my Lunar Knights playthrough.

First off, yeah, i see what folks were saying about the 3d. the confrontation between the 2 huge things in the beginning was basically in 2D. It seems like a total waste of battery life to even bother with 3d in this game. Sigh.

Also, man those textures do look rough. I know some folks swear that this game is using the same textures but it really looks rough. I know it's literally just the intro that i saw but i'm hoping the rest of the game holds up better. I just played Luigi's Mansion and that game, while much smaller in scope, looked a lot nicer too.

jorgejjvr

You need to atleast play FE7! It's on GBA VC!

This is really weird coming from me, and I am not a graphics whore. But in my experience I have a hard time playing, and getting into older games that were made before I was even born, in order words, not from my generation. I am not sure if it is the 2D gameplay or what, but I bought A link to the past, because of its praise, and super metroid, and I played the beginning of both and I could just NOT go on. It is a weird thing. It just does not catch my attention or interest, and I love Zelda and Metroid. However, my first game ever (and zelda game) was ocarina of time, and first metroid was Prime. I guess that to ME is a Zelda/Metroid game, unfortunately.

HOWEVER, fire emblem even awakening is very simple and I LOVE it, so I actually just might try out the GBA one, I heard so many good things.Not sure if I will or when, since I am also very busy with two jobs and too many games to play

Mat-triX

I'm about to finish off the game, and I'm deciding who I want on the team for the final battle. I got the first two decided, except for the third member who i've pegged down to being either Reyn or Dunban. They both basically do the same thing (draw aggro) but deal with it differently (Dundan dodges, Reyn is a damage sponge).

Since my team does not have a dedicated healer, is it too risky to have Reyn on? Which would be better to have on? Reyn or Dunban? (I like them both equally)

Brakke

Banned
Might wanna spoiler tag that one :p

They telegraph that pretty early on, so it's kinda obvious. But you'll never guess the extent of it. Even knowing that doesn't ruin any surprises later.

yeah I been suspicious of him for ages but he just turned to the camera and said something like "it feels bad to lie to these kids" or something like that right in front of Juju lmao "oh what no I didn't say anything at all don't you worry nothing to see here"

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Oh it definitely is, I went in completely blind first time around. Didn't even visit the thread here I believe. That said it's an old game and I think posting screenshots like that is fair game - if you really wanted to be playing completely blind you wouldn't come to a thread discussing it.

Late game and story related stuff is different, however.

If they are stuck they will come here for help. Even if the game is nearly 5 years old. It was in limited print

It's now more widely available than ever.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason Shadowplay records fine when I play on my TV and have that set as my default monitor. Strange.

Did Colony 9 stuff again but man, it was awful this time. Complete opposite of my failed recording yesterday. Terrible drops, by the time I was fighting Cellar Bugworm (at level 9, no less) over half my equipment was still the default stuff you start with. Collectables were also terrible, tons of the same stuff so I wasn't able to get many gems from that for a while, practically resorted to grinding collectables in Tephra Cave to get Lightning Attack so I could beat that last UM before progressing the story.

Might do it again despite the fact I recorded successfully. Just took way too long, with too much running around for collectables and other boring nonsense. Time for that section of the game shouldn't be much more than an hour, if not less with decent luck.

Parshias7

I love trying new parties and finding new post-battle dialog:

Reyn: When the going gets going, the tough get tough!
Riki: Hehe, even Riki know that not right!
Dunban: I forget it exactly, but he pretty much tells Reyn to settle down.

Or the dialog where Dunban and Sharla call Reyn an amateur. Really missed out on playing as Reyn my first time through.

Overside

Banned
I love trying new parties and finding new post-battle dialog:

Reyn: When the going gets going, the tough get tough!
Riki: Hehe, even Riki know that not right!
Dunban: I forget it exactly, but he pretty much tells Reyn to settle down.

Or the dialog where Dunban and Sharla call Reyn an amateur. Really missed out on playing as Reyn my first time through.

Riki: Riki wish Melly real sister-pon!
Melia: Aaaw! What about Sharla?
Riki: (deadpan voice) Sharla more like Momma. One Momma-pon is enough.
Sharla: Now wait just a minute!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Before I deleted the crummy video, I went ahead and at least cut this out. This UM going down at level 9 is pretty decent. No spoilers, it's beginning of the game stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6Zoq5a3aI

Giving Fiora the lightning attack gem turns 60 damage into 120 since the effect activates on both of her hits, making for a substantial damage boost. Was a game changer here, had this gone on much longer I'd have lost since Reyn wasn't holding aggro at the end.

I experienced some weird audio glitch against
Xord

Seems like several people have mentioned a glitch in that spot that ends up leading to a crash. Wonder if it's something about that fight and not a general bug.

Lumyst

I experienced some weird audio glitch against
Xord

I've also gotten audio glitches, it's quite jarring since for me the sound sometimes disappears for a split second and reappears, I think it happens most when doing things such as beginning and ending the gem crafting, or when there's the UI sound effects while talking to NPCs. It might be that there's issues with the UI sound effects mixing over background noise, maybe, in my case.

ramyeon

They telegraph that pretty early on, so it's kinda obvious. But you'll never guess the extent of it. Even knowing that doesn't ruin any surprises later.
Don't read if it's your first time playing.
Why are we confirming the suspicions of a first time player? You guys should have just ignored that post completely. Yes they telegraph it a lot, but he also continues to help out the party massively so it's really up in the air until the pivotal moment. I would have been so pissed if someone had given that away on my first play through even though I felt like something was up.

jorgejjvr

Before I deleted the crummy video, I went ahead and at least cut this out. This UM going down at level 9 is pretty decent. No spoilers, it's beginning of the game stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6Zoq5a3aI

Giving Fiora the lightning attack gem turns 60 damage into 120 since the effect activates on both of her hits, making for a substantial damage boost. Was a game changer here, had this gone on much longer I'd have lost since Reyn wasn't holding aggro at the end.

Seems like several people have mentioned a glitch in that spot that ends up leading to a crash. Wonder if it's something about that fight and not a general bug.

It didnt crash, it was only during the fight, and thats it, have not experienced anything of the sort again

Rich!

I had a fucking weird sound glitch in the final area of the game just now. Fought the demon in the arena, and then the music stopped. Went to fight some enemies...no music. Warped to Gaur Plains. No music. Reloaded my save, no music.

Had to reboot the game. Was strange.

CassSept

Why are we confirming the suspicions of a first time player? You guys should have just ignored that post completely. Yes they telegraph it a lot, but he also continues to help out the party massively so it's really up in the air until the pivotal moment. I would have been so pissed if someone had given that away on my first play through even though I felt like something was up.

As above
Nah there is a ton of weird things about Dickson throughout the entire story. Shifty looks, unexplained scenes, him knowing characters across both Bionis and Mechonis. It's easy to figure out there's something weird about him, though guessing what it ultimately is is pretty impossible since the story goes completely bonkers after Mechonis Core, I don't think anyone could expect what happens after that. Then again, you can say the same about Alvis and this one is even more complicated, huh.

Brakke

Banned

Yo you don't need to advocate on behalf of my purity for me bro. I'm a grown up I can make my own decisions about reading spoilers. I don't care at all about being surprised by plot points.

People shouldn't ignore posts it's a discussion board I came here to discuss.

ramyeon

As above
Nah there is a ton of weird things about Dickson throughout the entire story. Shifty looks, unexplained scenes, him knowing characters across both Bionis and Mechonis. It's easy to figure out there's something weird about him, though guessing what it ultimately is is pretty impossible since the story goes completely bonkers after Mechonis Core, I don't think anyone could expect what happens after that. Then again, you can say the same about Alvis and this one is even more complicated, huh.
Oh he is definitely shifty throughout, as is Alvis. Like I said it's hard not to realize something is up with him but he does continue to help you out a lot so it really had me going back and forth. I knew he was playing us in some way but I didn't guess he'd be an outright traitor.
Yo you don't need to advocate on behalf of my purity for me bro. I'm a grown up I can make my own decisions about reading spoilers. I don't care at all about being surprised by plot points.

People shouldn't ignore posts it's a discussion board I came here to discuss.
And that's your call, but responding to that post with stuff like "You should spoiler that" or replying with some spoilered text confirms your suspicions for not just you but anyone else reading the thread which isn't really fair, because the surprises in this game are great.

So I picked up my preorder today. First time playing, got to the part where
Fiora dies.
I have some questions:

When can I make gems? The guy I talked to said I needed to wait but have me, I think a HP and aggro buff.

Should I be using a specific set of armor for Shulk and Reyn heading out of Colony 9?

I am level 13, I believe. Should I do more side quests in Colony 9 or begin my journey?

Renewed

So I picked up my preorder today. First time playing, got to the part where
Fiora dies.
I have some questions:

When can I make gems? The guy I talked to said I needed to wait but have me, I think a HP and aggro buff.

Should I be using a specific set of armor for Shulk and Reyn heading out of Colony 9?

I am level 13, I believe. Should I do more side quests in Colony 9 or begin my journey?

For the first,
you can craft gems soon. The game will inform you once you can.

Second,
as you explore you'll find gear from enemies and unique monsters. Also from completing Collectepedia rows (or an entire page). Typically, Reyn gets the gear with higher defence first since he's your tank.

Finally,
you're fine. You can fight a bit here and there and you'll still be doing well.

Also not sure why we're using spoiler tags for tips but why not.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Still blown away that I'm playing this game on a handheld. Incredible achievement really.

Early on, what are some of the more useful skills for Shulk and Reyn?

Heng

So, is it best to sell pretty much all the animal loot and worthless gear?
You can sell the worthless gears, but I would suggest keeping the loot the animals drop. Some NPC offer trades for quest items sometimes, which you can trade those loot for them. However, you can just farm for those quest items if you just want the gold.

Brakke

Banned
Kind of. I never found I was cash-strapped enough to need to bother. Do the Collectopedia first. Eventually (pretty early) you unlock Blue !s on future quest items. So if you check the 'pedia then you're probably fine to sell everything without a !.

Also OP has a spreadsheet with things that you can sell with no worries.

Dice//

Banned
So, is it best to sell pretty much all the animal loot and worthless gear?

Here's a list of all useless, non-quest items you can sell right away. It's sort of buried within the OP, and inventory space is annoyingly limited in this game which otherwise seems to be perfect for doing everything else. :p

Also, old, but it always blows my mind that you can see Colony 9 from Colony 6's Splintered Path. I think it's only part of what makes Xenoblade amazing is not only the unique setting or the massive overworld... but the dedication to tiny details and their overall vision. Details GET noticed and never go unappreciated when gaming, IMO. Just got there today myself --- sadly the lower res makes it much harder to make out...but I think I'm actually really enjoying this game as a handheld....LONG LIVE HANDHELD GAMING.
latest

Brakke

Banned
Wooooah that shot is super cool.

I've definitely had some wide open shots were I thought I could see Mechonis way off in the distance as a collection of red lights but the game looks too much like ass to really appreciate what's going on. I wish I had a better sense of "I am on a big monster's leg right now".

Wilsongt

So, I already bought the game twice (EU and NA Wii release), and since I am playing Story of Seasons on my N3DS, I decided to jump back into the Wii version. I left off at the tail end of the Guar Plains stuff a couple of days ago, and now I have just reached the Nopon village.

Oh boy Dunban is so fun to play.

Edit: Also, the sense of scale in the game is amazing. It boggles my mine what Monolift Soft was able to do on the Wii.

Here's a list of all useless, non-quest items you can sell right away. It's sort of buried within the OP, and inventory space is annoyingly limited in this game which otherwise seems to be perfect for doing everything else. :p

Also, old, but it always blows my mind that you can see Colony 9 from Colony 6's Splintered Path. I think it's only part of what makes Xenoblade amazing is not only the unique setting or the massive overworld... but the dedication to tiny details and their overall vision. Details GET noticed and never go unappreciated when gaming, IMO. Just got there today myself --- sadly the lower res makes it much harder to make out...but I think I'm actually really enjoying this game as a handheld....LONG LIVE HANDHELD GAMING.
latest

Son of a bitch, never looked down there before.

Any idea on other way around?

That said though, how did we get THIS high though? Tephra Cave didn't seem like it covered that much distance vertically, and as far as my mind remembers, the walk up the leg from the knee wasn't on that much of a slope.

Dice//

Banned
Son of a bitch, never looked down there before.

Any idea on other way around?

That said though, how did we get THIS high though? Tephra Cave didn't seem like it covered that much distance vertically, and as far as my mind remembers, the walk up the leg from the knee wasn't on that much of a slope.

Heh, the game tries to be as realistic as possible with the maps in relation to the setting setting, but I think this is one instant where you kinda just gotta let the suspension of disbelief do its thing. :p

The other way around isn't very satisfying (Col 9 looking up to Col 6) since it's heavily blocked out by the rest of the thigh.... though, again, Colony 9 is technically and unreasonably sunny if it is in such a 'dome-like area'.

But I think you CAN technically see Satorl Marsh from the Bionis Leg (the Maguel Road or Spiral Stair). Look up toward the Bionis body and I think it's the cloudy region there --- I think that because it's the closest the clouds there appear and Satorl is quite 'foggy'.

Anyways, sometime ago a Gamefaqs-er actually did some cool stuff with exploring the Bionis and Mechonis model with Dolphin. I really like this shot because it makes it a bit easier to make sense of where and what's going on exactly with Eryth Sea and it's placement, as well as a nice shot that they made the Bionis arm frozen...
and *sigh* the shoulder area.
(but again, it doesn't address the issues with 'verticality' of the titans xD ) :

(source)

CassSept

I wonder where Bionis Shoulder would have fit. I'm guessing between Makna Woods and Eryth Sea, but they decided against because the area would have been too similar and the story at that point would drag too much.

Kinda shame because my favorite Xenoblade artwork is of the party at Bionis Shoulder.

Also, are Nopon psychotic or something? Almost every single sidequest I have gotten from them goes along the lines of "Wildlife X gave me minor annoyance - Kill them all."

Oh and the one in the Frontier Village cutscene talking about how Homs taste. Uh...

lol, just got to Gaur Plain, fought some dudes until night fell, minding my own business when all of a sudden Territorial Rotbart, the gigantic fucking fifty-foot-high level-motherfucking-eighty-something furious baboon man, comes sauntering by and I accidentally pick a fight with him. For a couple of glorious milliseconds, it truly was Reyn Time...

CassSept

Also, are Nopon psychotic or something? Almost every single sidequest I have gotten from them goes along the lines of "Wildlife X gave me minor annoyance - Kill them all."

Oh and the one in the Frontier Village cutscene talking about how Homs taste. Uh...

Yeah Nopon are by far the most degenerate and psychopathic race in the game. I think it's even mentioned by one of the NPCs that they used their cuteness to form trade routes across the Bionis and take advantage of other races as they underestimate the cutesy silly Nopon.

Nopon village kinda spoiler but not really
Hell, they basically send Riki to certain death because he owes money to the village

ramyeon

Make sure you attempt to do all the quests in the Kingpin Quest line, so good.

lol, just got to Gaur Plain, fought some dudes until night fell, minding my own business when all of a sudden Territorial Rotbart, the gigantic fucking fifty-foot-high level-motherfucking-eighty-something furious baboon man, comes sauntering by and I accidentally pick a fight with him. For a couple of glorious milliseconds, it truly was Reyn Time...

One of my favorite moments from my first playthrough was one of these. Except I didn't see him.

I was fighting those Ponios or whatever they're called. Probably 5 of them. I was doing okay when all of a sudden I noticed that Reyn and Sharla were dead. I saw their corpses but nothing else other than the Ponios that I'd just finished killing. I wasn't paying close attention, so I figured that the Ponios did them in without me noticing. I turn around and see that giant baboon just standing right there looking at me. I look at him, and he looks at me. Out loud irl I go "Who da fuck are you?" all cocky. I lock on and see he's level eighty-whatever and my eyes bulge. The baboon lifts his arm and just carelessly swings at Shulk once and I'm dead.

It definitely left an impression.

WarAdept

One of my favorite moments from my first playthrough was one of these. Except I didn't see him.

I was fighting those Ponios or whatever they're called. Probably 5 of them. I was doing okay when all of a sudden I noticed that Reyn and Sharla were dead. I saw their corpses but nothing else other than the Ponios that I'd just finished killing. I wasn't paying close attention, so I figured that the Ponios did them in without me noticing. I turn around and see that giant baboon just standing right there looking at me. I look at him, and he looks at me. Out loud irl I go "Who da fuck are you?" all cocky. I lock on and see he's level eighty-whatever and my eyes bulge. The baboon lifts his arm and just carelessly swings at Shulk once and I'm dead.

It definitely left an impression.

I think most people had an encounter with this thing, surprise ambush or otherwise.

I definitely went "why is it playing heavy guitar music now?" while fighting some Armus only to turn the camera around and be smacked into oblivion.

random25

It's a form of rookie initiation so be proud to experience it once!

OMG Aero

Does anyone know if buffs stack in this game?
For example if I'm playing as Melia and and have three fire elements summoned are my party members getting a higher attack boost than if I just summoned fire once or is the buff only applied one time?

Arkain

Does anyone know if buffs stack in this game?
For example if I'm playing as Melia and and have three fire elements summoned are my party members getting a higher attack boost than if I just summoned fire once or is the buff only applied one time?

Yes, they stack. Well, at least they did in the Wii version. It's pretty easy to check. Summon Aqua multiple times and check your regen.

For the first,
you can craft gems soon. The game will inform you once you can.

Second,
as you explore you'll find gear from enemies and unique monsters. Also from completing Collectepedia rows (or an entire page). Typically, Reyn gets the gear with higher defence first since he's your tank.

Finally,
you're fine. You can fight a bit here and there and you'll still be doing well.

Also not sure why we're using spoiler tags for tips but why not.

Thanks! I just wanted to be safe with the tags.

ZeroX03

Banned
Finally got the pre order theme. Opening the 3DS to hear the Gaur Plains theme playing is fantastic. Dynamic Monado is pretty cool too.

Anyone figure out a way to soft reset this bad Larry? It would be really neat given that daily amiibo bonus and whatnot. Searched the OT and came up with nothing.

CassSept

Freezinate, Burninate, Lurgy. Amazing dps. You Can Do It is an amazing heal. Hero Time is great. I also used a red art or two, mostly for chain attacks.

Top Bottom