• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Brakke

Banned
Those names are tremendous. "You Can Do It" lmao so good. I really should get off the side-quest grind and push the story forward into some new party members.

Second time playing the game, but it just occurred to me how much time you spend as Shulk circling around animals and stabbing them in the ass.

Also, are Nopon psychotic or something? Almost every single sidequest I have gotten from them goes along the lines of "Wildlife X gave me minor annoyance - Kill them all."

Oh and the one in the Frontier Village cutscene talking about how Homs taste. Uh...

Then there's the quest where a Nopon's mother keeps eating his pet lizards, so to solve this problem he asks you to collect poisonous lizards.

yeah I been suspicious of him for ages but he just turned to the camera and said something like "it feels bad to lie to these kids" or something like that right in front of Juju lmao "oh what no I didn't say anything at all don't you worry nothing to see here"

Don't worry Juju is brain dead enough to not matter

jorgejjvr

Man, Dunban is quite a guy, the things he says....

Dunban's speech:

Dunban: Shulk, how are you holding up?

Shulk: I’m fine…but you?

Dunban: I will shed no tears.

Shulk: Huh?

Dunban: A year ago I felt the same sense of deep loss that I do now

Shulk: The battle of Sword Valley

Dunban: After that battle, many of my friends did not make it home, while I was being brought here on that stretcher; they were all I thought about.

Shulk: huh..

Dunban: But I decided I would not cry. Everyone who died in that war had someone they wanted to protect. Family, friends, loved ones, their home, so they fought to protect them…and we won.

No matter how painful, no matter how hard, it’s nothing to be sad about; I decided that there and then.

Shulk: Dunban!

Dunban: Shulk, Fiora would tell you the same thing. She wanted to protect us, or rather… she wanted to protect you, and you’re alive now, so… I will not cry.

Remember the gift of life that Fiora gave you, and treasure it.

Shulk: I...I can't say that I understand but... I hope to, some day.

Dunban: That is all I ask. Believe me, I am always just trying to understand.

Parshias7

I must say I really like Dunban's logic when he says that since he's a different race he can just ignore laws whenever he feels like it!

Dice//

Banned
I love when the camera/cutscene zooms out enough while it's raining. Reminds me of The Truman Show:

when-it-rains-it-pours-on-truman_447.gif

And honestly, I can't think of character more badass and honourable than Dunban.

Wolfe

Bought it. It's a very ugly game yet seems amazingly appealing

Too bad the landscape is wasted with such a bad iq

Funny, regardless of the IQ I still think it's one of the best looking 3DS games so far if not they best overall visually. Sure MH4U has better textures and cleaner looking lines and whatnot but compared to what XB does as a game and with it's environments, MH doresn't even compare.

I'm curious, how are newcomers enjoying this game so far, and how far are you already

Just reached the leg, having a blast. First started playing over the weekend but didn't get much into it and kept going back to MH but finally sunk some time into it this week and it's really grown on me.

I bought this. Never played the original. I'm shocked by the graphics :/ Terribad.

Lol people and their "graphics", I grew up playing 8 bit Nintendo, this game looks fucking amazing on 3DS.

I'm having second thoughts on this. Never played a game in the series. The main reason I have it preordered is out of fear it becomes rare, and doubles in price ala SF, KI and the original release. Ease my doubts gaf.

No, I couldn't care less when people buy games because they might end up rare or something.

In all seriousness though I'm sure you'll love it. In the end if you don't, I can't imagine you having much issues with reselling it for almost what you paid.

Yep, indeed.

I honestly do not think so. It makes thing blurry.

That's funny cause I feel the opposite for any game on 3DS but with the 3D turned off. Makes things more muddy/blurry, the enviroments/polygons start to blend together.

Sure the 3D in this game is one of the weakest instances I've seen of it on the system so far and yeah it disappoints me a bit. But in the end it still adds to the experience, shit is in 3D, it gives the game depth which is huge as it helps my eyes differentiate between objects and the environment.

Short version: Yes the 3D sucks (compared to a game like MH especially), but it still adds to the game.

Fireblend

Banned
Uhhh... I think I may have gotten a defective game cart; it won't ever get past the "Nintendo 3DS" screen when booting the game up on my N3DSXL. Have any of you guys heard of anything like this?

Any ideas? Pretty bummed about it :(

Huh... I just got it working by deleting the update.

Hugstable

Banned
Today I almost took me Shulk amiibo out the box to scan him since I want those tracks in the jukebox and model viewer, but damn it's so nice having him sit up there the way I got him displayed. It's tempting, but I'm not really feeling it yet.

mjc

Today I almost took me Shulk amiibo out the box to scan him since I want those tracks in the jukebox and model viewer, but damn it's so nice having him sit up there the way I got him displayed. It's tempting, but I'm not really feeling it yet.

Take him out, enjoy him.

That sounded creepy, just use the amiibo to it's full extent.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey is it just me, or does Satorl Marsh seem really toned down compared to the Wii Game. It's not the textures either, I just remember the trees at night having a really intense glow, and they still glow here, but just seems different. I just entered the area though so maybe it gets more intense as I get through. This was one of my favorite areas back when I first played the game (Got to Makna)

so uh...apparently there's some sort of glitch/exploit/whatever that allows you to quickly get to level 50 before
the very first Metal Face battle at Colony 9
, pushing the speedrun time for this game to ~6 hours

LMAO

Hugstable

Banned
It would not surprise me to know the effects were scaled back to save performance. The effect of getting to that moment was lost on a smaller screen regardless. It's a sight to behold that area on a bigger screen and in surround sound.

Yup I went back to compare with the Wii version, Satorl Marsh got hit big time from the Wii to 3DS transition. The fog effects have been scaled back alot and the trees are much less intense. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the overall lighting maybe? I don't know, kinda sucks though that everything got dialed down.

El Odio

Banned
Reached the first story checkpoint in Satorl Marsh and now I've fallen into doing all the sidequests back in Colony 9. Someone help me.

ChrisD

Reached the first story checkpoint in Satorl Marsh and now I've fallen into doing all the sidequests back in Colony 9. Someone help me.

I'm right where you are now. Though I think I'll just finish up the timed ones and then move on.

Same here hahaha. I know I should stop before I let the game get the poor fate of the backlog, so tomorrow I'm definitely progressing the story.

I almost picked up a N3DS today for this game alone. But I can't bring myself to spend $300 cdn. Wish we knew if there were more n3ds games coming. I don't mind the downgraded graphics but are the colors in the actual game this washed out?

ChrisD

I almost picked up a N3DS today for this game alone. But I can't bring myself to spend $300 cdn. Wish we knew if there were more n3ds games coming. I don't mind the downgraded graphics but are the colors in the actual game this washed out?

First time playing the game (that is, no experience on Wii), but yes, the colors definitely seem washed out. Graphics are no high point whatsoever, but the scope of the game on a portable is just as good as people make it out to be.

That said, I don't think I'd suggest splurging on a system for it alone unless you just have the cash to spend. If there's any other reason to make things more value for the money that'd be ideal.

First time playing the game (that is, no experience on Wii), but yes, the colors definitely seem washed out. Graphics are no high point whatsoever, but the scope of the game on a portable is just as good as people make it out to be.

That said, I don't think I'd suggest splurging on a system for it alone unless you just have the cash to spend. If there's any other reason to make things more value for the money that'd be ideal.

Well I'm playing MH4U and I feel like the game would be so much better with c stick and the improved textures.

The videos I seen of Xeno seem to give me a sense of PSP quality graphics, like type-0 or crisis core, but the colors in Xeno look so foggy.

Shulk is really starting to infuriate me. I've complained before in the thread about how dumb he was for
not warning Reyn about his premonition on the spider attack
and now the stupid motherfucker has decided the best thing to do
after having a vision that Sharla gets murdered by the mechon with a face is to not tell anyone and let her tag along with them as they go to fight mechons!

Fuck you, Shulk. I hope you get hit by a bus.

Rich!

Level 90 and I'm doing stupid quests for stupid nopon to build up the affinity so I can get the giants quest finished

Goddamnit

Overside

Banned
Well I'm playing MH4U and I feel like the game would be so much better with c stick and the improved textures.

The videos I seen of Xeno seem to give me a sense of PSP quality graphics, like type-0 or crisis core, but the colors in Xeno look so foggy.

Sounds about right. Its a wii port, so theres almost absolutely no shaderwork, since the 3ds's shaders are far more advanced than the wii's, and none of the ones from the wii rendered correctly because the wii gpu worked with integers instead of floating point (shadersnotworkingwise, xb3d is kind of reminesescent of early dolphin.)

But that aside, the wii game was often ridiculed for looking like an early ps2 game when screens that showed the game up close, and without showing the scale the ps2 could never achieve were released. So the psp comparison makes sense.

Dice//

Banned
Shulk is really starting to infuriate me. I've complained before in the thread about how dumb he was for
after having a vision that Sharla gets murdered by the mechon with a face is to not tell anyone and let her tag along with them as they go to fight mechons!

Hold thine hate, tis a matter addressed soon.

Rich!

Oh how little you know

Keep playing. All will become clear.

CassSept

Who do you typically surround him with on the team? Shulk? Reyn?

First Dunban, later on Seven as the tank, though you can use Reyn too. Melia pulls pretty amazing dps but her AI is dreadful so unless you control her she is useless. So if you want to control Riki it comes down to Shulk/Sharla, where I'd recommend Shulk. Sharla does the weakest dps and with both Shulk and Riki healing you don't need her to survive, she'd only drag you down.

Though honestly the game is versatile enough that most combinations would work. Later in the game I used Seven/Riki/Shulk which I loved, but is not really a popular setup, so it's down to your preferences.

I just got a new 3DS XL as a present and bought the game. It's quite mazing to have a game with this scope on a portable system, although it is quite clear the game was not designed for a small screen (the art especially).

I must confess that right now I have a hard time to really enjoy the game because of 1 reason : the battle system.
I don't get it. I received waves of tutorials to read, my characters sceam non-stop and I die a lot (like they die suddenly and I don't even know why). I don't really get the link system either. And while I was still super confused about it now there is some kind of "see the future" system added !

This is really frustrating because it really prevents me from enjoying what I think could be a great game. Any tips, advices for a newcomer ?

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm up to the Satorl Marsh. I didn't explore it at all on my original playthrough. I had no idea how much there was to find!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just got a new 3DS XL as a present and bought the game. It's quite mazing to have a game with this scope on a portable system, although it is quite clear the game was not designed for a small screen (the art especially).

I must confess that right now I have a hard time to really enjoy the game because of 1 reason : the battle system.
I don't get it. I received waves of tutorials to read, my characters sceam non-stop and I die a lot (like they die suddenly and I don't even know why). I don't really get the link system either. And while I was still super confused about it now there is some kind of "see the future" system added !

This is really frustrating because it really prevents me from enjoying what I think could be a great game. Any tips, advices for a newcomer ?

Lol yeah it takes a while to figure out. Youll get it, this is a long game.

Luigi87

-Don't let squishy members like Shulk and Sharla accumulate too much aggro. Characters like Reyn and Dunban instead need to draw it (Reyn defends, Dunban dodges). If you see a ring around Shulk, ease off on the Arts (or use Shadow Eye) to reduce aggro.
-Don't spam Arts unnecessarily
-Healing Arts accumulate a ton of aggro early on.
-Don't aggro too many enemies at once, you will likely be overwhelmed regardless of tactics early on, lol
-Take advantage of the Break/Topple/Daze system. It works in that order. Easiest way to identify those Arts are Pink/Green/Yellow (not orangey, but pure yellow) respectively. Those colour icons always mean to inflict those attempts of abilities.
-When you see the future, respond appropriately. Ironically the first thing the game gives you is Shield, to block Talent Arts (white), yet early on enemies more or less seem to use Physical Arts (red). That's usually better responded with Monado Speed (if you've gotten it). Make sure to take advantage of the Warning system too. IE: If you need to change the future, have say Shulk use a Break skill, then warn Reyn to use Wild Down to Topple the enemy (that ensures he does it, as opposed to the AI possibly choosing something else before Wild Down)
-Understand each character's unique play styles. IE: Shulk is all about positioning (Front/Side/Back) to utilize hits Arts bonus traits.

Edit:
Oh the Chain Link system works like this
When you use an Art, the gauge fills. When you achieve Burst Affinity (basically when a character calls out and the circle goes around the B button for you to press), that increases the gauge (and also builds affinity, so yay).
If you fully fill all three bars, you can use a Chain attack (and depending on how heated up characters are (look at their portraits, their faces can be normal, depressed, heated [actiony], or heated + on fire), that can affect the length of chain attacks.
Of course the Chain Link gauge is also required for reviving KO'd party members (and if you ever have less than one full bar and you leader is KO'd, the fight is loss), as well as to Warn other party members to change the future.

So i'm having a really tough time with [fairly early game boss spoilers]
Xord under Colony 6. I'm only level 25 so I figured I might try to go level some but Colony 9 quests give nearly no XP and Bionis Leg quests also seem fairly low level for me. Any tips?

Luigi87

So i'm having a really tough time with [fairly early game boss spoilers]
Xord under Colony 6. I'm only level 25 so I figured I might try to go level some but Colony 9 quests give nearly no XP and Bionis Leg quests also seem fairly low level for me. Any tips?

Gonna just spoiler tag this one:
Focus on attacking the small-fry Mechon. Build your chain link gauge (use Arts) off of them (not Xord, not until they're all gone), and then use that to immediately have Shulk and Reyn Break/Topple Xord, and have Sharla deal the damage (Lightning Bullet). Then possibly have Shulk use Shaker Edge to Daze Xord and extend your time. Repeat this, and don't let Shulk accumulate too much aggro.

Focus on attacking the small-fry Mechon. Build your chain link gauge (use Arts) off of them (not Xord, not until they're all gone), and then use that to immediately have Shulk and Reyn Break/Topple Xord, and have Sharla deal the damage (Lightning Bullet). Then possibly have Shulk use Shaker Edge to Daze Xord and extend your time. Repeat this, and don't let Shulk accumulate too much aggro.

I tried something like that but they would take out Sharla fairly quickly with all her healing and the constant knockdown coming from Xord meant he would end up winning the war of attrition. I could maybe get through 2 waves of his minions before I ended up dying.

Piggybacking off of this you could do what I did
and leave one of the small ones alive so they don't respawn. The first time I fought him I got rid of all of the small ones and they kept respawning and overwhelming me. The second time I simply left one alive and was able to complete it using the strategy recommended here

and leave one of the small ones alive so they don't respawn. The first time I fought him I got rid of all of the small ones and they kept respawning and overwhelming me. The second time I simply left one alive and was able to complete it using the strategy recommended here

Huh that sounds like a good strategy. I'll give that a try later, thanks!

Luigi87

Oh yes, this is also a good tactic. I wasn't sure if it actually mattered in this game, but good to see it does. I myself do this in a bunch of RPGs, thanks to Mario RPG, lol. When it works, it is always a life saver.

Huh that sounds like a good strategy. I'll give that a try later, thanks!

No problem! Between what I mentioned and being at or near his level, it made the battle less of a pain and more enjoyable.

Oh yes, this is also a good tactic. I wasn't sure if it actually mattered in this game, but good to see it does. I myself do this in a bunch of RPGs, thanks to Mario RPG, lol. When it works, it is always a life saver.

It hadn't dawned on me the first time through to try it. It wasn't until I looked up strategies and found an old GameFAQs thread about the original game that I found someone recommending this. It was a lifesaver.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It's funny I know exactly what boss you are referring to. I used to always use that "strategy," but older-me finds the game so easy I'd rather do it the hard way.

ChrisD

That was the first boss I died to. I forgot to Shadow Eye before Healing and taking down a small-fry with Backslash. Suddenly Shulk is target #1 for five different enemies.

The next try was much better.

ChrisD

Someone with more artistic ability than my stick figure expertise needs to draw up a four-panel comic showing just how goofy this games' item pick-ups are. While roaming the land I just pick up two "Dobercorgi" dog breeds and proceed to shove one into a book. Something isn't quite right there.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Man, Dunban is quite a guy, the things he says....

Dunban's speech:

Dunban: Shulk, how are you holding up?

Shulk: I’m fine…but you?

Dunban: I will shed no tears.

Shulk: Huh?

Dunban: A year ago I felt the same sense of deep loss that I do now

Shulk: The battle of Sword Valley

Dunban: After that battle, many of my friends did not make it home, while I was being brought here on that stretcher; they were all I thought about.

Shulk: huh..

Dunban: But I decided I would not cry. Everyone who died in that war had someone they wanted to protect. Family, friends, loved ones, their home, so they fought to protect them…and we won.

No matter how painful, no matter how hard, it’s nothing to be sad about; I decided that there and then.

Shulk: Dunban!

Dunban: Shulk, Fiora would tell you the same thing. She wanted to protect us, or rather… she wanted to protect you, and you’re alive now, so… I will not cry.

Remember the gift of life that Fiora gave you, and treasure it.

Shulk: I...I can't say that I understand but... I hope to, some day.

Dunban: That is all I ask. Believe me, I am always just trying to understand.
Dunban is so great.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yup I went back to compare with the Wii version, Satorl Marsh got hit big time from the Wii to 3DS transition. The fog effects have been scaled back alot and the trees are much less intense. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the overall lighting maybe? I don't know, kinda sucks though that everything got dialed down.
That's disappointing :/ I first entered satori marsh at night and it was a straight game changer

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think I'll be using Melia primarily on this playthrough. First time through I went with Riki and occasionally Shulk. Riki just offers so many great options. Debuffs, heals, good attacks, massive HP, instantly drop all aggro. Funny that some people swear him off because they can't take him seriously. He's awesome. Looking forward to using Melia though, now that I have a better understanding of how to use her.

I think I'll be using Melia primarily on this playthrough. First time through I went with Riki and occasionally Shulk. Riki just offers so many great options. Debuffs, heals, good attacks, massive HP, instantly drop all aggro. Funny that some people swear him off because they can't take him seriously. He's awesome. Looking forward to using Melia though, now that I have a better understanding of how to use her.

Yess I loved to play as Riki!

Top Bottom