• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So I just encountered the sound glitch during the story quest of
finding the 4 items for the alter. So we can go to the top of the bionis' head

any work around for it?

Close the software and restart it.

Happened once to me so far.

Don't worry - you can save

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, she basically helps you win battles through attrition. It's not necessary though, you can beat enemies more quickly with other party setups and not need to win that way.

Not actually sure of any party combinations that are outright ineffective, but I don't remember the mid game well enough. I'm sure some are fairly terrible if you don't have certain arts available.

Riki is actually bad in the first two zones you can use him in because they have a lot of water and he starts his swimming animation sooner than other characters, taking him OOC.

-Don't let squishy members like Shulk and Sharla accumulate too much aggro. Characters like Reyn and Dunban instead need to draw it (Reyn defends, Dunban dodges). If you see a ring around Shulk, ease off on the Arts (or use Shadow Eye) to reduce aggro.
-Don't spam Arts unnecessarily
-Healing Arts accumulate a ton of aggro early on.
-Don't aggro too many enemies at once, you will likely be overwhelmed regardless of tactics early on, lol
-Take advantage of the Break/Topple/Daze system. It works in that order. Easiest way to identify those Arts are Pink/Green/Yellow (not orangey, but pure yellow) respectively. Those colour icons always mean to inflict those attempts of abilities.
-When you see the future, respond appropriately. Ironically the first thing the game gives you is Shield, to block Talent Arts (white), yet early on enemies more or less seem to use Physical Arts (red). That's usually better responded with Monado Speed (if you've gotten it). Make sure to take advantage of the Warning system too. IE: If you need to change the future, have say Shulk use a Break skill, then warn Reyn to use Wild Down to Topple the enemy (that ensures he does it, as opposed to the AI possibly choosing something else before Wild Down)
-Understand each character's unique play styles. IE: Shulk is all about positioning (Front/Side/Back) to utilize hits Arts bonus traits.

Edit:
Oh the Chain Link system works like this
When you use an Art, the gauge fills. When you achieve Burst Affinity (basically when a character calls out and the circle goes around the B button for you to press), that increases the gauge (and also builds affinity, so yay).
If you fully fill all three bars, you can use a Chain attack (and depending on how heated up characters are (look at their portraits, their faces can be normal, depressed, heated [actiony], or heated + on fire), that can affect the length of chain attacks.
Of course the Chain Link gauge is also required for reviving KO'd party members (and if you ever have less than one full bar and you leader is KO'd, the fight is loss), as well as to Warn other party members to change the future.

Thanks a lot ! It is very helpful !

HIR0

If I have to resort to grinding to increase my levels I'm playing this wrong correct?
I'm at level 70 trying to beat
Lorinthia
but I always hit a snag at a boss and have to grind a few levels.

story spoiler:
Please don't die again Fiora :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's kinda spoilers.

But yeah, you are under leveled, but that is common for that point in the game. Your case seems a bit worse than most though.

You will probably need to grind some, even id you do manage to beat that boss. Lot of quests available at that point have some meaty level requirements but there should be some you can do. Windy Cave on Bionis Leg also has some enemies around your level.

I'm really close to the part where I get Melia, possibly my favorite character in the game, but I can't stop doing these Colony 6 sidequests! If only I could stop.
I'll never stop.

I loooove all these talking Mechons. I just got out of the Ether Mines, into Satorl Marsh, and these dudes are a delight every time they turn up. Just so silly and over the top, and the British localisation gives them that extra something special.

Interesting to hear that Sharla isn't as vital as I thought. I'd been playing as her all the way through the mines and I've been reluctant to change my party up for Dunban for fear of just dying all the time without her healing, but I'll do some experimentation. I suppose Shulk has his heal move, anyway.

TheMoon

If I have to resort to grinding to increase my levels I'm playing this wrong correct?
Lorinthia

story spoiler:

That's why sidequests exist. There is zero grinding in the game unless you want to do it.

lewisgone

I loooove all these talking Mechons. I just got out of the Ether Mines, into Satorl Marsh, and these dudes are a delight every time they turn up. Just so silly and over the top, and the British localisation gives them that extra something special.

Interesting to hear that Sharla isn't as vital as I thought. I'd been playing as her all the way through the mines and I've been reluctant to change my party up for Dunban for fear of just dying all the time without her healing, but I'll do some experimentation. I suppose Shulk has his heal move, anyway.

Yeah, the Mechons are hilarious.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

... Spoilers? Not for me, I already played the game. But could be for someone first time playing. Then agian, they shouldnt be reading this thread lol.

Raven77

I'm trying to decide if I should get this game and need some help. I need to say a few things first:

- Never played the Wii version.
- I don't play a lot of RPG's but have enjoyed some of the FF games, etc.
- I REALLY loved Grandia II on Dreamcast, the combat was awesome. FF 9 is also my favorite RPG along with Chrono Cross and Skies of Arcadia.

Do you think I would enjoy this? Any other games you could compare it to?

Brakke

Banned
I adore this game so far. It's really more of an MMO, combat-wise: managing ability cool downs, auto-attack, positioning matters, etc.

Now that you mention Skies of Arcadia, I think yeah this one sort of feels like Skies, story-wise. Similar tenor. Plus in Xenoblade you get a home-base to improve like in Skies. I wish it had had that recruit-your-crew mechanic like Skies, that's one of my favorite things in games.

Seanspeed

Banned
This is an action adventure. There's no point comparing this to RPGs like FF, CC or SoA. There's zero overlap here.

Do you like Zelda? Do you like Castlevania? That is what you should ask yourself.
Xenoblade isn't an RPG? :/

Castlevania? Wha? lol

Anyways, it's hard to describe Xenoblade. I'd say it's something like FFXII mixed with Skyrim, in that it's a large action JRPG where you can wander around big areas, where your partners do their own thing in battle, and where you can have a ton of sidequests to do at any one time, bordering on the overwhelming at times if you're not used to it.

I too fail to see the comparison to Castlevania. Zelda is a far stretch too. This is essentially an offline MMO RPG, with a compelling story line and great cast, in a huge world.

jorgejjvr

I would recommend this game to everyone, specially if you like RPGs. This game is a masterpiece. Everyone should give it a go. No comparison is needed because it stands on its own.

Rich!

This is an action adventure. There's no point comparing this to RPGs like FF, CC or SoA. There's zero overlap here.

Do you like Zelda? Do you like Castlevania? That is what you should ask yourself.

what the. Xenoblade has absolutely nothing in common with Zelda and even less with Castlevania apart from that they all have treasure chests to open.

Xenoblade is an RPG that takes core elements from games like Seiken Densetsu and Chrono Trigger and mixes them with the sprawling world and battle system found in MMO games like World of Warcraft, put together with a storyline typical of Takahashi's style.

Lol those random video game name drops.

It's a traditional JRPG with MMO gameplay elements. That's it.

Has cool set pieces but for the most part is a pretty run of the mill RPG.

If you like MMOs but don't like playing with strangers, this game is for you.

TheMoon

Xenoblade isn't an RPG? :/

Castlevania? Wha? lol

Anyways, it's hard to describe Xenoblade. I'd say it's something like FFXII mixed with Skyrim, in that it's a large action JRPG where you can wander around big areas, where your partners do their own thing in battle, and where you can have a ton of sidequests to do at any one time, bordering on the overwhelming at times if you're not used to it.

Did you just name games at random
what the. Xenoblade has absolutely nothing in common with Zelda and even less with Castlevania apart from that they all have treasure chests to open.

Xenoblade is an RPG that takes core elements from games like Seiken Densetsu and Chrono Trigger and mixes them with the sprawling world and battle system found in MMO games like World of Warcraft, put together with a storyline typical of Takahashi's style.

edit: ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu I was totally confused and thought we were in the Pandora's Tower thread :D

kinda funny how nobody even considered I might be hilariously confused about which thread I was in :p
especially considering I made this damn OT lol

jorgejjvr

edit: ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu I was totally confused and thought we were in the Pandora's Tower thread :D

kinda funny how nobody even considered I might be hilariously confused about which thread I was in :p
especially considering I made this damn OT lol
It all makes sense now lol

Off topic, but out of the 3 rainfall game the only I didn't like that much or finished was Pandoras tower, I liked elena, but that was it. However xeno and the last story were amazing

Overside

Banned
I'm trying to decide if I should get this game and need some help. I need to say a few things first:

- I REALLY loved Grandia II on Dreamcast, the combat was awesome. FF 9 is also my favorite RPG along with Chrono Cross and Skies of Arcadia.

You should definately get it.

Its more like the 4th generation jrpgs in design, if they had the power to realize what they wanted to do, not so much the 5th generation, which was, with few exceptions (grandia, xenogears, generally rpgs with 3d backgrounds) a large step back, replacing design with videos and bitmap backdrops.

So, FF4-6, particularly chrono trigger, yeah.

ff7 on, not so much, and definately not chrono cross.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Yes

I can't think of any comparisons

Rich!

Got a bit bored grinding at lv95, went to whip the final boss's ass

Well, that took all of three minutes. Not sure what level he is as it is hidden, but I'm sure its around 84 as he gave me hell when I first fought him at level 80 back in 2011. Never actually bothered fighting him again in my other two playthroughs due to the point of no return.

Overside

Banned
Got a bit bored grinding at lv95, went to whip the final boss's ass

Well, that took all of three minutes. Not sure what level he is as it is hidden, but I'm sure its around 84 as he gave me hell when I first fought him at level 80 back in 2011.

In the bright side you really dont need to gring anymore. You are more than capable of taking on the superbosses level wise, and those last 4 levels really arent going to mean diddly in the face of 10+ level differences anyways.

Hugstable

Banned
In the bright side you really dont need to gring anymore. You are more than capable of taking on the superbosses level wise, and those last 4 levels really arent going to mean diddly in the face of 10+ level differences anyways.

There are superbosses that are stronger than the final boss?! Well shit, I really need to beat the game this time hahah

Xbro

Lorinthia

story spoiler:

That boss is a pain regardless of the level.

Lorinthia

story spoiler:

I hated that boss so much. Evidently the trick is
to play as Melia and abuse spells. This was really rough since I hadn't used her all game. I had to read a tutorial on using her properly and some youtube videos first.

I hated that boss so much. Evidently the trick is
to play as Melia and abuse spells. This was really rough since I hadn't used her all game. I had to read a tutorial on using her properly and some youtube videos first.

THIS MAKES THE BATTLE A JOKE

Like all that time grinding for nothing.

Top Bottom