• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Post Makna Forest boss spoilers:
Fuuuuuck that Leone Telethia. Definitely a "shit just got real" moment in terms of the combat for me. I'd been doing pretty well up until that point, but it took me like five tries before I even got to the second stage of the fight (which, sadistically, is just the first stage again only now his health is refilled all the way :p). Once I understood what I was doing with regard to making sure I always had a Monado Purge ready to go it became manageable, but that dude was not fucking around.

Just reached the Eryth Sea now, but I think I might take a quick detour to go back and teach this guy a lesson:
So+much+nope_bcccec_4655090.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fuuuuuck that Leone Telethia. Definitely a "shit just got real" moment in terms of the combat for me. I'd been doing pretty well up until that point, but it took me like five tries before I even got to the second stage of the fight (which, sadistically, is just the first stage again only now his health is refilled all the way :p). Once I understood what I was doing with regard to making sure I always had a Monado Purge ready to go it became manageable, but that dude was not fucking around.

Just reached the Eryth Sea now, but I think I might take a quick detour to go back and teach this guy a lesson:

Level 21? Definite nope

Zolbrod

Hah, I remember when I played Xenoblade for the first time on Wii, that moment scared the SHIT out of me.
It was also the moment when I went from "this game is great" to "this game is AWESOME"

CassSept

Oh yeah, that thing was completely unexpected. Why did it have to be spiders. And that's not even the only time they do it. Jeez.

By the way, to those who are playing through it - what is your favorite cutscene in the game? I'll admit I was surprised how good are they, really well directed, great camera angles, use of music.

[Valak spoilers]
Just how good the duel between Dunban and Mumkhar was. Even with low quality models it's so good, visceral, brutal

random25

LOL! It made me fall off the cliff the first time I saw that out of shock.

Verilligo

And then you finish the questline related to that red orb. *shivers*

I should have seen that one coming, yet somehow didn't. I've only just recently started my first playthrough of the Wii version, despite owning it since it came out. Currently at
Agniratha
, but that questline finish was a nightmare because I didn't run. The
trio
of them had a level or two on me and I was going "you are NOT making a fool out of me again." Hard as nails fight, I was completely unprepared for it. Such an amazing sense of accomplishment to actually WIN it.

so uh...apparently there's some sort of glitch/exploit/whatever that allows you to quickly get to level 50 before
the very first Metal Face battle at Colony 9
, pushing the speedrun time for this game to ~6 hours

LMAO
This is real. It takes them about 34 minutes to get it here but that is faster than
"darkness of sleep embraces you" "spear break! HAH" times 100 (don't worry fans there is still plenty of that in the route)
. For people who don't want to view the tricks are:
-Clip through the red door you find in Tephra cave (the one that is normally unlocked after the attack on Colony 9) (done about 7 minute mark on linked video)
-With access to the rest of the cave get to Vilia Lake.
-Get up on a ledge and fight a skeeter below, push a party member down to be killed by them and the skeeter should agro you if your xy coordinate is in range (seems the game doesn't account for z coordinate when deciding to pursue like this)
-Flee, head to the normally unreachable ledge that leads to the optional end/post game part of Tephra cave and block a hit while jumping to grab the ledge and now run through the area and let the EXP rain (success about 34 mins, the times when they got it while KO'd were sad to see)
-Heavenly window landmark takes you from level 14 to 43 on its own (plus the area has no enemies loaded...nor a minimap) and another big EXP landmark gets you to 50.

No idea if works on 3DS.

Ventara

"Who would've thought? Brute force wins again."

Just finished fighting the boss in Makna Forest. Riki is awesome, and Melia is nice in some tight shorts. So when is the next time that a set of quests will expire? I know the last one was Colony 6, so I got the ones that were expiring then done. Is Eryth Sea the next point, or can I continue on? Oh, and is that 4th bridge in Makna Forest ever gonna get fixed?

I completed the game a few weeks ago on Dolphin and reading this thread is making me want to play it on my N3DS. I miss the music and combat.

Fireblend

Banned
Will I be warned before the set of quests given at the
homs camp where you find Sharla
will expire? I'm at the
colony 6 mine
and I'm fearing they'll expire as soon as I finish this section.

alvis.exe

Will I be warned before the set of quests given at the
homs camp where you find Sharla
will expire? I'm at the
colony 6 mine
and I'm fearing they'll expire as soon as I finish this section.

IIRC they only expire once you choose to
move the refugees.
Which you can't even do until you beat the section you're in, so you're fine. If there's also an additional story cutoff point it'll be muuuuuuch later in the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beat that ass in the Ether Mines, rather easily after buying some equipment and crafting some gems. Doing a preliminary run through the marsh, not too bad up until that UM. Got annihilated twice at level 27, somewhat unsurprisingly.

Think I might be able to do it at 28 since that will get me Serene Heart so Dunban should actually dodge effectively. But any hit that isn't a standard attack from that beast is death.

ChrisD

Big Bad Guy: "This is the strongest Mechon ever built!"

*Fortress Unit Mechon seen minutes later*

Mm-hm. Why not build the strongest to be more like that, big bad?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Big Bad Guy: "This is the strongest Mechon ever built!"

*Fortress Unit Mechon seen minutes later*

Mm-hm. Why not build the strongest to be more like that, big bad?

He's full of it. The strongest Mechon is... well, certainly something. But the second strongest is actually a Fortress unit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Level 28, it is definitely better than level 27!

Was fighting decently. Then he did a aoe that Dunban dodged, but it 1HKO'd Shulk, who I was controlling, and I had just done a chain attack so I had no party gauge...

Reckless Godwin successfully downed at level 28. Amazing the difference one art and one level can make. God damn this dude is strong though... with his aura up, I had a vision for a 7200 damage attack.

ChrisD

OMG SHULK
(Post Valak Mountain)
BACK TO NOT TELLING. This is like, the single-most simple vision to tell! Not a single person on the team isn't willing to help, ESPECIALLY with things involving Fiora. Whhhyyyy would you not tell anyone about it? >_>

Xbro

OMG SHULK
(Post Valak Mountain)
BACK TO NOT TELLING. This is like, the single-most simple vision to tell! Not a single person on the team isn't willing to help, ESPECIALLY with things involving Fiora. Whhhyyyy would you not tell anyone about it? >_>

Here's the thing you don't understand. You can see the vision clearly, but Shulk cannot. It could be out of context, it could be out of focus, it could be blurry, or it could happen pretty quickly. He doesn't quite understand the visions that are far away as well. It isn't until it gets closer that he starts to understand what it meant.

ChrisD

Here's the thing you don't understand. You can see the vision clearly, but Shulk cannot. It could be out of context, it could be out of focus, it could be blurry, or it could happen pretty quickly. He doesn't quite understand the visions that are far away as well. It isn't until it gets closer that he starts to understand what it meant.

But it seems he knew what was happening in this one, with how he acted afterwards.

Maybe the "second vision" will pop up and things will change. But he was actually telling people for the majority of the game. If it wasn't for being told, "Out with it," who knows how long we would have kept things to himself with one of the most important (to him) visions yet.

so, just started my first real playthrough and i wanted to know: should i be killing everything i see in the game or is it just gamplay filler? I just killed a bunch of rabbits and mosquitoes as soon as i gained control of Shulk and i dont know if i'm going about things the right way or not.

Ventara

so, just started my first real playthrough and i wanted to know: should i be killing everything i see in the game or is it just gamplay filler? I just killed a bunch of rabbits and mosquitoes as soon as i gained control of Shulk and i dont know if i'm going about things the right way or not.

Personally, I wouldn't. It'd burn me out. Just kill it a few times if it's something new. Otherwise, I just ran past them. The game does a good job of keeping you up to level without grinding, as long as you're exploring and occasionally do sidequests.

ChrisD

You don't have to. I wouldn't avoid all enemies, but there's certainly no need to go out of your way to kill tiny wildlife. It's entirely there for your choice.

TheMoon

hop into the OP and check the beginner tips.

you definitely don't need to kill everything you see. but you definitely should use those opportunities to get to grips with the battle system.

Rich!

But it seems he knew what was happening in this one, with how he acted afterwards.

Maybe the "second vision" will pop up and things will change. But he was actually telling people for the majority of the game. If it wasn't for being told, "Out with it," who knows how long we would have kept things to himself with one of the most important (to him) visions yet.

Wait.

It will all be explained. You are not far off.

Personally, I wouldn't. It'd burn me out. Just kill it a few times if it's something new. Otherwise, I just ran past them. The game does a good job of keeping you up to level without grinding, as long as you're exploring and occasionally do sidequests.

You don't have to. I wouldn't avoid all enemies, but there's certainly no need to go out of your way to kill tiny wildlife. It's entirely there for your choice.

thanks for the tips!

hop into the OP and check the beginner tips.

you definitely don't need to kill everything you see. but you definitely should use those opportunities to get to grips with the battle system.
will do!

Fireblend

Banned
Hahahaha, I just realized I've been doing the "B" button QTEs wrong. I've been pressing it as soon as I see it, but I have to wait til it's inside the small circle
KuGsj.gif
that explains why I wasn't able to do multiple chain attacks ever, haha.

pronk420

so this early fight with
the giant spider thing and all the little spiders
seems impossible. I barely make a dent in its health and I don't really see what else I can be doing to beat it.

If I play as the big dude then the AI monado man (is it shulk?) doesn't heal himself and dies, if I play as monado dude I can keep big guy alive for a while healing a lot, but don't manage to do much damage and then eventually get wiped out

Rich!

so this early fight with
seems impossible. I barely make a dent in its health and I don't really see what else I can be doing to beat it.

If I play as the big dude then the AI monado man (is it shulk?) doesn't heal himself and dies, if I play as monado dude I can keep big guy alive for a while healing a lot, but don't manage to do much damage and then eventually get wiped out

Why aren't you playing as shulk and using your monado shield as the game instructed?

TheMoon

so this early fight with

are you using BREAK > TOPPLE?
+ what Rich said.

Peltz

so this early fight with

Use your arts? Topple it.

Fireblend

Banned
so this early fight with

You already got some answers, but it should be a matter of playing as Shulk, using your Shield Monado Art whenever you get the vision of the spider attacking anyone, and trying to topple it the rest of the time. You can also use the Shadow Eyes art to reduce its aggro towards you (making it attack Reyn instead) so you're free to back-slash it properly and do plenty of damage.

TheMoon

Lesson to be learned from this: Don't mindlessly spam random arts. Read the tutorial pop-ups. Really, read them. Re-read them. Read the extra ones that don't pop-up but get added alongside them, too. Check the OP for things to look out for, where to find stuff, where to find more help, etc.

pronk420

Thanks for the advice, I took a break from the game and forgot what it had told me. So I think I'm doing it better now, but i still keep getting destroyed before I can kill it. Often I just get in a situation where it casts bind on me and I can't use any arts and then we both get destroyed.

I'm telling reyn to focus on the giant one, and saving the Monado arts to just use shield when there is a premonition, casting heal as often as I can and using the side and back attacks. I think the only attack I have that does break is the area one, which then agros all the little enemies to me and I die

It seems like it's partly down to luck, I had one attempt just now where it destroyed me before I had a chance to even do anything because I was just stuck with bind and then it one hitted the big guy and me before I could do anything

Rich!

Thanks for the advice, I took a break from the game and forgot what it had told me. So I think I'm doing it better now, but i still keep getting destroyed before I can kill it. Often I just get in a situation where it casts bind on me and I can't use any arts and then we both get destroyed.

I'm telling reyn to focus on the giant one, and saving the Monado arts to just use shield when there is a premonition, casting heal as often as I can and using the side and back attacks. I think the only attack I have that does break is the area one, which then agros all the little enemies to me and I die

It seems like it's partly down to luck, I had one attempt just now where it destroyed me before I had a chance to even do anything because I was just stuck with bind and then it one hitted the big guy and me before I could do anything

Fight the little ones first. Not only does it help a bit, but you gain experience each time. After a few deaths, you'll suddenly win and be like looolll wut

pronk420

Fight the little ones first. Not only does it help a bit, but you gain experience each time. After a few deaths, you'll suddenly win and be like looolll wut

Oh ok, I read in a faq to ignore the little ones since they keep respawning infinitely? Maybe I'll just grind a bit to level (I'm level 12)

Etria

So I accepted this sidequest in Gaur Plains
where a refugee has asked me to find "torn paper" somewhere on Bionis' Leg. However, I've gone almost everywhere up to Windy Cave, and still haven't found it. Looked near the cliffs and nope, nothing.

Another thing I'm wondering about is whether raining = thunderstorm? Trying to find
White Eduardo at Raguel Lake but no luck.

Fandangox

where a refugee has asked me to find "torn paper" somewhere on Bionis' Leg. However, I've gone almost everywhere up to Windy Cave, and still haven't found it. Looked near the cliffs and nope, nothing.

Another thing I'm wondering about is whether raining = thunderstorm? Trying to find
White Eduardo at Raguel Lake but no luck.

Nah, raining is not Thunderstom, its just rain, there has to be actual thunder in the background for the monster to appear. if You in an area outside of the Bionis Leg, you can try warping back to the lake if you it is raining near colony 6 or some other area.

TheMoon

Yo Moon my man I have never seen someone so relentlessly pimp their OP before.

The more work I put into it, the more I pimp it. ;)

Seriously though, I compiled all the info there for a reason. A lot of the questions being asked could be answered by browsing through it. I direct people there so they might find that there is also other stuff they potentially may have wanted to know about or so they might also stumble across the posts of others I have linked there (like the ones about gem crafting, selling of materials). I don't care about praise, I just want people to use the damn thing. :p

What are the best places to grind at around level 70? I tried everything but I can't beat
Lorinthia
so i guess I gotta do this old school.

Etria

Nah, raining is not Thunderstom, its just rain, there has to be actual thunder in the background for the monster to appear. if You in an area outside of the Bionis Leg, you can try warping back to the lake if you it is raining near colony 6 or some other area.

Yeah, thought not. I'll just keep exploring and quick travel back when it does then.

Wichu

It's
at the bottom-left of the map, directly south of the Gaur Plains landmark

hoserx

I'll keep this short, but 15 hours in, I am overwhelmed by how fantastic this game is. I could go on and on but I won't....... I'm about to open my 3ds up again and play more instead.

TheMoon

What are the best places to grind at around level 70? I tried everything but I can't beat
Lorinthia
so i guess I gotta do this old school.

Do you have a bunch of sidequests still open? Have you explored all maps fully? Secret areas give lots of XP, too iirc. You shouldn't ever have to grind, really.

Do you have a bunch of sidequests still open? Have you explored all maps fully? Secret areas give lots of XP, too iirc. You shouldn't ever have to grind, really.

I guess I can do some sidequests. I have fully explored every area I've been too, and I've never needed to grind even a single bit beforehand but this boss is too ridiculous.

TheMoon

I guess I can do some sidequests. I have fully explored every area I've been too, and I've never needed to grind even a single bit beforehand but this boss is too ridiculous.

Changing up your strategy with her might also work. I lucked out and just steamrolled her back in the Wii game on my first try so I only heard about the trouble afterwards. I think I worked my topple magic with Melia if I'm not mistaken.

Top Bottom