• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Brakke

Banned
The more work I put into it, the more I pimp it. ;)

Seriously though, I compiled all the info there for a reason. A lot of the questions being asked could be answered by browsing through it. I direct people there so they might find that there is also other stuff they potentially may have wanted to know about or so they might also stumble across the posts of others I have linked there (like the ones about gem crafting, selling of materials). I don't care about praise, I just want people to use the damn thing. :p

It is v thorough and v helpful. It's also v long so it was considerate of you to put in a clock every few sections so people can keep track of what time it is as they read.

I guess I can do some sidequests. I have fully explored every area I've been too, and I've never needed to grind even a single bit beforehand but this boss is too ridiculous.

Any non-Melia team is going to have trouble with that boss under-leveled. It's literally the only boss in the main story that punishes you for not using ether. During my first run, my team 100% focused on physical damage and I didn't have any problems with previous bosses either, even when under-leveled by 3-5. For this one I was getting dominated, so I tried to use Melia but just couldn't use her effectively (nor was she outfitted properly), so I just grinded a couple levels in
Bionis Interior
and gritted my way through the boss. It took a long time and probably wasn't worth it.

If you're a Shulk user, it's worth noting the Monado Cyclone is an ether attack.

So I just beat
Xord
and had
Dunban and Dickson
join the party. Speaking of them, I find it amusing how
Dickson looks like an aging rocker and Dunban was dressed like a vampire for some reason.

Firstly, THANK GOD Shulk has finally started being proactive about his visions. Now that my biggest complaint about the game has been addressed, I'm really feeling it.

Actually, speaking about the visions, the game has thrown a rather interesting curveball;
now not only is Shulk concerned about changing bad futures, he has to try figure out how to make desirable visions come true.

Man, there's a lot more I want to talk about this game, but I have to refrain for fears of spoilers.

Xbro

So I just beat
Xord
and had
Dunban and Dickson
join the party. Speaking of them, I find it amusing how
Dickson looks like an aging rocker and Dunban was dressed like a vampire for some reason.

Firstly, THANK GOD Shulk has finally started being proactive about his visions. Now that my biggest complaint about the game has been addressed, I'm really feeling it.

Actually, speaking about the visions, the game has thrown a rather interesting curveball;
now not only is Shulk concerned about changing bad futures, he has to try figure out how to make desirable visions come true.

Man, there's a lot more I want to talk about this game, but I have to refrain for fears of spoilers.

The vision you receive at that point is pretty awesome.

Ah thank god, finally beat
Lorithia
Took a bit of leveling but she finally went down. The tips to use topple and Seven really helped.

Been doing a bit of exploring, trying to do some side quests and level up. I made it to the boss right after
Riki joins your team.
It's pretty challenging, but I managed to figure out what's necessary to beat em. I like the balance of challenge the Arts have right now... for this boss it's pretty necessary to have your Talent Gauge up at least 2 or 3 times, so I've been using the Art that halves health and raises the gauge. Makes for some good strategy. The Art system is very interesting, I like the way it works.

I own a few RPGs on the 3DS, and I've been quite happy with how diverse they've been in their gameplay facets, even if they've been pretty hit or miss. Between Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Mario & Luigi, and now Xenoblade, the 3DS has a very diverse selection of role playing games.

Skii

Just bought this game online and will be playing it after my exams are over. Definitely looking forward to it as it'll be my first Xenoblade game!

One thing I don't understand is the tokens and how they tie into the game. I've never really used street pass. Is it important to collect these tokens? What do they actually do?

Just bought this game online and will be playing it after my exams are over. Definitely looking forward to it as it'll be my first Xenoblade game!

One thing I don't understand is the tokens and how they tie into the game. I've never really used street pass. Is it important to collect these tokens? What do they actually do?

The tokens are used to unlock Models in the Model Viewer and Songs in the Jukebox mode. Jukebox allows you to play music from the game through headphones with the 3DS closed and the models are just that, figures of characters in the game. You can also use the 3DS Playcoins to purchase the tokens so you don't have to streetpass someone. Alternatively if you were one of the lucky ones to get a Shulk Amiibo, once per day you can scan him in the game for some tokens.

I really love the environments in this game. Exploring them is just so much fun. I usually end up exploring the whole area before I even get all the quests. Its incredible how vast this game is and how they managed to pack it into a 3ds cartridge! The graphics are pretty good and the draw distance is very impressive. There is a lot of aliasing, but it doesn't bother me at all. The rain however, looks pretty bad. Especially looking at the sky you can clearly see these like boxes of rain coming down.

Really enjoying the game so far, can't wait to dig into it more.

Weird how his game handles 3d. It's there, it's subtle when running around but seems to be completely off during cutscenes. To save battery, I tend to turn it off during cutscenes because it's not doing anything.

Also, how's the battery life for you folks? I got like a bit over two hours before my red light started flashing like crazy. Seems a bit low : /

Skii

The tokens are used to unlock Models in the Model Viewer and Songs in the Jukebox mode. Jukebox allows you to play music from the game through headphones with the 3DS closed and the models are just that, figures of characters in the game. You can also use the 3DS Playcoins to purchase the tokens so you don't have to streetpass someone. Alternatively if you were one of the lucky ones to get a Shulk Amiibo, once per day you can scan him in the game for some tokens.

Ah okay. Thought it would be unlocking important in game items.

Is this the first game in the franchise? Is the Wii U release the sequel to this game?

Weird how his game handles 3d. It's there, it's subtle when running around but seems to be completely off during cutscenes. To save battery, I tend to turn it off during cutscenes because it's not doing anything.

Also, how's the battery life for you folks? I got like a bit over two hours before my red light started flashing like crazy. Seems a bit low : /

That's very low, I'm getting about 5-6 hours of playing before i have to recharge. I keep the Wi-Fi off to save battery. This is with 3d on most of the time, too. Although I usually play with headphones.

That's very low, I'm getting about 5-6 hours of playing before i have to recharge. I keep the Wi-Fi off to save battery. This is with 3d on most of the time, too. Although I usually play with headphones.

do you leave your 3DS on standby? I think that might be the culprit. I sometimes play a bit before work, during lunch, and then when i get home so it spends most of the day on standby

also, i leave the brightness on either the highest or the next to highest. The autobrightness stuff switches too often and is distracting.

do you leave your 3DS on standby? I think that might be the culprit. I sometimes play a bit before work, during lunch, and then when i get home so it spends most of the day on standby

also, i leave the brightness on either the highest or the next to highest. The autobrightness stuff switches too often and is distracting.

Yeah its on standby whenever I'm not playing, I've only been playing 2-ish hours a day. I do use the auto brightness though. Also its the New 3DS XL because NOA.

Zing

Banned
Based on the old battery tests, brightness setting 5 will lose you about an hour of playtime compared to setting 3, half that if you enable power saving mode (which looks terrible).

The system only has about a day's worth of standby life.

Based on the old battery tests, brightness setting 5 will lose you about an hour of playtime compared to setting 3, half that if you enable power saving mode (which looks terrible).

The system only has about a day's worth of standby life.

that seems about right. I guess i'm just used to the Vita's pretty stellar battery life compared to the 3ds's. I only got on the 3ds train with the n3ds XL so i guess i'm just getting accustomed to it.

I'll try either knocking the brightness to 3 or using autobrighness to see if that helps. Thanks!

Fireblend

Banned
15 hours in, and just made it to the middle of the Marsh area, near the Fortress of Exile. Level 30 so far and having a blast! I love that characters don't have to be in your party to level up. It's like this game took my biggest gripes with the genre and made something to fix them. I'm actually encouraged to try them all out! I feel so comfortable playing I haven't even thought of using a guide (except for a couple of "find the thing" quests which I find frustrating).

I think this might also have the most memorable soundtrack in an jRPG since... I don't know, FFIX? I really feel like I'm playing a PS1 gem that somehow slipped past me. It gives me a sense of adventure I haven't felt since Chrono Cross, FFIX, Grandia and the rest of them. I'm hooked.

I do have a couple of questions though:

- How do I unlock level 5 arts? I have almost all arts maxed at level 4. Is it a level or story progress-based thing, or am I supposed to purchase something?

- Is there any sort of tell for when I should use Shield and when to use Speed to avoid the outcome seen in a vision during battle?

- Sometimes after the third move in a chain attack I get the "B" QTE and get the chance to continue the chain, but sometimes I don't. Is it a random thing, or is there some science to making the prompt appear?

- Should I be able to beat Unique Monsters on my same level? I tried multiple times but still got my ass kicked trying to beat the one in the Exile of Fortress. I seem to have no problem when they're 3-5 levels below though.

Zing

Banned
I vary from 2-4, 2 being rarely if I am in really dim light and 4 rarely if it is a very sunny day. I usually stay at 3.

Portugeezer

New 3DS question:

Are the pixels in 2D mode on New 3DS proper squares, or slightly rounded like on old 3DS? I ask because the old 3DS 2D mode always looked a bit blurry to me, so I always enabled minimal 3D (3D mode had nice sharp pixels).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
- How do I unlock level 5 arts? I have almost all arts maxed at level 4. Is it a level or story progress-based thing, or am I supposed to purchase something?

You need to buy Intermediate Art Books from the various shops. They all have different ones.

- Is there any sort of tell for when I should use Shield and when to use Speed to avoid the outcome seen in a vision during battle?

Red arts are physical arts, speed will increase a character's agility to (likely) avoid the attack. White arts are talent arts, which Shield will reduce to 1 damage per hit.

- Sometimes after the third move in a chain attack I get the "B" QTE and get the chance to continue the chain, but sometimes I don't. Is it a random thing, or is there some science to making the prompt appear?

It's related to your characters' affinity. The higher their affinity the more likely you can continue the chain attack further. So it will become more common and you will get longer and longer chains as you progress through the game.

- Should I be able to beat Unique Monsters on my same level? I tried multiple times but still got my ass kicked trying to beat the one in the Exile of Fortress. I seem to have no problem when they're 3-5 levels below though.

On your first playthrough? Maybe not for a while. They are doable, but for the first third to half of the game they can be really difficult. Especially Reckless Godwin in Exile Fortress, he might be one of the strongest in the game relative to his level. (FWIW, I just beat him at level 28 yesterday)

The damage/hit rate/evasion formulas make battles much easier when you are higher level than an enemy. Likewise, when you are below their level they get a stat modifier advantage making them more difficult.

Decided to take the plunge due to some credit I had, but I've yet to open.

One thing putting me off slightly is the fact people keep saying it looks like garbage. Now, don't get me wrong ... graphics aren't that important to me, but I'll appreciate a game that looks visually appealing and doesn't repulse my senses. It doesn't have to be impressive on a technical level, but a good art direction goes a long way(which is why I don't mind a lot of indie games). Fantasy Life, for example, looks perfectly fine even if it isn't a technical marvel.

Is it really as ugly as I've been led to believe? I know it's a very open and vast game, but I'd like to enjoy the world I'm looking at.

One thing putting me off slightly is the fact people keep saying it looks like garbage. Now, don't get me wrong ... graphics aren't that important to me, but I'll appreciate a game that looks visually appealing and doesn't repulse my senses. It doesn't have to be impressive on a technical level, but a good art direction goes a long way(which is why I don't mind a lot of indie games). Fantasy Life, for example, looks perfectly fine even if it isn't a technical marvel.

Is it really as ugly as I've been led to believe? I know it's a very open and vast game, but I'd like to enjoy the world I'm looking at.

If you'd prefer to pay $80 for the Wii copy, that's your prerogative, but as far as I've seen, the Wii and 3DS copy are 1:1 in terms of content.

alvis.exe

I'm fairly sure the main reason people call it "ugly" is purely due to technical reasons.

Now while Fantasy Life has a nice, clean, cartoonish look, IMO art direction and the sheer scale of this game easily blows Fantasy Life out of the water and yes, I did spend a decent amount of time on Fantasy Life.

While constantly wishing I could be playing Xenoblade X instead ahaha.

013_thumb5.jpg

345148_scr7_a.png

122317_3ds_xenobladechronicles3d_image150202_1355_000.jpg

Judge for yourself I guess.

I'm tempted to buy this game and a new 3ds xl just for it since I loved it so much on the wii.. On my 3ds XL I never use 3d since I move around too much for some reason so it never works. Does the NEW 3ds XL really have better 3d?

I still haven't started this game. In fact I haven't even unsealed it. Anyway the game dropped about £10 on Amazon UK since I preordered it and until today. So I asked about getting a refund so I didn't have to return the item and reorder the game much. Basically they refunded me the difference (plus P&P of the return) so I've got £8 back. So yay.

Means I might finally unseal it and play Xenoblade 3D now.

Ugh, why the hell does this game have an item limit. It's gotten to the point where I literally can't pick up any new items due to all the ones I have being needed for a side quest.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm tempted to buy this game and a new 3ds xl just for it since I loved it so much on the wii.. On my 3ds XL I never use 3d since I move around too much for some reason so it never works. Does the NEW 3ds XL really have better 3d?

Yeah, it absolutely is. Like night and day.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally picked a copy up today and popped it in just to take a quick look at how the port holds up. Other than the textures being ultra muddy, the environments looked alright until I got to the first town where there was a lot more going on. Game suddenly was really hard to look at due to the resolution and became a mess of jaggy pixels (got a little better when I exited the town).

Will probably get back to playing it in the summer but wishing more than ever the 3DS had a higher resolution screen.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As far as materials:

Should I be holding onto any of these? Should I sell anything that doesn't have a star on it?

Also:

Do some sidequests require me to return to the quest giver to hand over materials? Is that why I should hold onto all of them, in case I get a sidequest where they want them?

alvis.exe

Ugh, why the hell does this game have an item limit. It's gotten to the point where I literally can't pick up any new items due to all the ones I have being needed for a side quest.

As far as materials:

Should I be holding onto any of these? Should I sell anything that doesn't have a star on it?

Also:

Do some sidequests require me to return to the quest giver to hand over materials? Is that why I should hold onto all of them, in case I get a sidequest where they want them?

Sell/Don't Sell Material List(s) are in the OP.

Stop ignoring my contribution to the OP dammit :p

Sevyne

The game looks fine on n3DS. Not sure what some folks were expecting really. I think my only real visual gripe is that damn rain. Everything else is about what I expected.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The game looks fine on n3DS. Not sure what some folks were expecting really. I think my only real visual gripe is that damn rain. Everything else is about what I expected.

The font was nearly MH3U levels of bad, but after 35 hours in now, I don't notice anymore. Doesn't make it better, just means it's not a big deal for me personally.

Brakke

Banned
Trust me I've read your list repeatedly. My point is that almost all of the items in my inventory are not on your list.

At a certain point pretty early in the game you get !s on items that are necessary for quests. Just play up to there. Then you go to a shop, fill up your collectopedia, and then just sell everything without a !.

I honestly don't understand how you filled up the inventory.

alvis.exe

Trust me I've read your list repeatedly. My point is that almost all of the items in my inventory are not on your list.

If they're not on either list then I'd just sell them. You could try looking them up on the wiki too to see if they're needed for any quests (IIRC you're near the end so there shouldn't be any spoilers in the Wiki pages on materials). The main things I can think of that aren't on either list IIRC are the rare Glyph items from Unique Monster drops. Those are worth tons of money so you use them to trade for the Collectables on the last page of the Collectopedia.

But yeah the item limit is a huge pain. Which is why I found/made those lists in the first place!

Thank you for your contribution to the OP

Hope it helps!

If they're not on either list then I'd just sell them. You could try looking them up on the wiki too to see if they're needed for any quests (IIRC you're near the end so there shouldn't be any spoilers in the Wiki pages on materials). The main things I can think of that aren't on either list IIRC are the rare Glyph items from Unique Monster drops. Those are worth tons of money so you use them to trade for the Collectables on the last page of the Collectopedia.

But yeah the item limit is a huge pain. Which is why I found/made those lists in the first place!

Hope it helps!

Ok so i just realized your list was for items NEEDED for quests and not materials safe for selling. Well fuck me.

Ok so i just realized your list was for items NEEDED for quests and not materials safe for selling. Well fuck me.

Most of the items (that aren't key items and thus unsellable) are pretty easy to get, so I wouldn't feel too bad. As far as I remember I only had to really actively look for items in one or two quests, and they were both for leveling up Colony 6. So whatever you do, don't under any circumstances sell any Rainbow Slugs. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. It's worth noting many items can be easily traded from NPCs with enough affinity, including items for some collection quests.

Damn those Rainbow Slugs

It's a notable downgrade from the Wii version, and that's probably what most people are seeing. I can definitely notice it, especially since I still play the Wii version in Dolphin, but friends of mine who never played Xenoblade before think it looks great. It definitely looks good for a portable game, but some people were expecting more.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the items (that aren't key items and thus unsellable) are pretty easy to get, so I wouldn't feel too bad. As far as I remember I only had to really actively look for items in one or two quests, and they were both for leveling up Colony 6. So whatever you do, don't under any circumstances sell any Rainbow Slugs. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. It's worth noting many items can be easily traded from NPCs with enough affinity, including items for some collection quests.

Damn those Rainbow Slugs

It's a notable downgrade from the Wii version, and that's probably what most people are seeing. I can definitely notice it, especially since I still play the Wii version in Dolphin, but friends of mine who never played Xenoblade before think it looks great. It definitely looks good for a portable game, but some people were expecting more.

There are a couple other annoying collectables. Art Core Coils, or something like that. There is one easy place to get them but it is time limited
blow up the things in Galahad Fortress and go back to them and get the collectables there
. I want to say Black Liver Beans are also a rare spawn at just a couple places with no trade option.

ivysaur12

Banned
I had forgotten how much I loved Valek Mountain at night. Easily my third favorite place after Bionis' Leg and that other place you get to later.

Satorl Marsh at night sort of took at beating on the 3DS for whatever reason.

I'm finally getting to play this game and so far it's really capturing me. I had trouble with the chain attacks during the metal face encounter but once I figured it out it was well worth it :)

Haven't had an rpg capture me in a long time, I hope that has come to an end now with this game.

Portalbox

Hey! I was looking to buy this game as well as N3DS relatively soon... does this have any missable stuff? Or can I live without a guide?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey! I was looking to buy this game as well as N3DS relatively soon... does this have any missable stuff? Or can I live without a guide?

Nothing important. There are some timed sidequests but nearly all the sidequests in general are pretty throwaway. You lose out on affinity with some areas if you don't do them, but even if you skip all those you can still earn enough to get the important rewards if you choose to pursue them.

I'd say skip the guide, it's better blind.

Top Bottom