• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

I'm tempted to buy this game and a new 3ds xl just for it since I loved it so much on the wii.. On my 3ds XL I never use 3d since I move around too much for some reason so it never works. Does the NEW 3ds XL really have better 3d?

3D is great, but the 3D in Xenoblade is practically nonexistent.

Really enjoying the game, but there are just a few design decisions I wish they'd have made. Likemark on the map where a quest giver is, a local area map that isn't the fast travel, give me a more detailed quest descriptions.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How do I get "Story Memo" to disappear from the top screen?

I've pressed x and then r and read it. Yet it's still there.

It's always there unless you disable the guide arrow thing. If you aren't in the same area as the story objective the Story Memo icon is there in place of the arrow.

Fireblend

Banned
Just got Melia. The cutscene
where Alvin teaches Shulk to use the Purge ability
was pretty dope, I can't wait to see where the story is going.

I heard Melia was worth using, so I switched over to her as soon as I could to test her abilities. This game continues to impress me. She's a pretty cool character! And I can see how her abilities can be abused to deal some massive damage while buffing the rest of the party. After reading up a bit on what's the recommended strategy for her, it's easy to see why people like her.

I'm not 100% comfortable with not using Shulk as my main though, I like using the Monado stuff too much :p guess I'll be sticking to Melia for a little while longer though, everyone deserves some time on the spotlight. And again, I love how experience works in this game, it doesn't make me feel guilty to be trying out new party combinations because everyone gets experience after a battle.

I have a couple more questions for veterans:

- Affinity is only built between the party members and your main, right? So, if my party consists of Shulk as my main, with Sharla and Melia, I'll be upgrading affinity for Shulk-Sharla and Shulk-Melia but not Sharla-Melia, correct?

- Also, is there some point down the line where I'll be able to reset my skill points so I can try other character builds, or is that something I shouldn't worry about? I've been sort of spreading my points all over the place and that worries me that I'm not using any guide or anything :p

- I haven't paid much attention to the gem stuff yet. I have a gem on every slot, but it's mostly rank 1 gems. Should I be traveling to Colony 9 more often to upgrade my gems?

Ventara

I'm not 100% comfortable with not using Shulk as my main though, I like using the Monado stuff too much :p guess I'll be sticking to Melia for a little while longer though, everyone deserves some time on the spotlight. And again, I love how experience works in this game, it doesn't make me feel guilty to be trying out new party combinations because everyone gets experience after a battle.

Yeah, I'm the same. Shulk just seems like he has a bit of everything, and is really easy to use. Riki is kind of similar though with his backstab attacks.

- Affinity is only built between the party members and your main, right? So, if my party consists of Shulk as my main, with Sharla and Melia, I'll be upgrading affinity for Shulk-Sharla and Shulk-Melia but not Sharla-Melia, correct?

Affinity raises all 3 ways.

Sorry, I can't answer the rest. I'm not too much further than you.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Most affinity is gained for the lead plus the other two, but the other two do gain some.

- Also, is there some point down the line where I'll be able to reset my skill points so I can try other character builds, or is that something I shouldn't worry about? I've been sort of spreading my points all over the place and that worries me that I'm not using any guide or anything :p

You don't get to re-roll/re-appoint anything, but AP and SP scale along with exp, so if you want to level up a lower level art, it's easy to do.

It is better to focus on arts you prefer based on your playstyle, but there is enough leeway to experiment some. Especially since quite a few arts don't really see that much improvement from leveling them up. Others see a lot of improvement - far better damage, or greatly reduced cooldown time, or much greater effects.

- I haven't paid much attention to the gem stuff yet. I have a gem on every slot, but it's mostly rank 1 gems. Should I be traveling to Colony 9 more often to upgrade my gems?

If you get Colony 6 to rank 1, you can get a portable gem furnace (it's that unselectable thing in the item section of the menu).

You should definitely have gems beyond level 1 at that point, if only from quests and the collectopedia.

Optimal gem crafting is time consuming, at least at the point in game you are at. As of Makna you should start seeing some level 3 crystals, if you get them to Heat and craft level 4 gems it would be worth the effort. It's really easy to hit Heat. Just break down your crystals and get them close to 100 without going over, then combine two of the same type to start near 200. Once you go over 200, you hit Heat and you will get a gem of the next level. If your affinity is between the party is decent you might get Mega Heat once or twice.

Level 1 and 2 crystals you might as well sell off, the effects of those low level gems are generally so poor they aren't worth your time crafting for a normal playthrough.

alvis.exe

Skills are permanently unlocked and permanently activated once you unlock them so there's no need to reset skill points? You can eventually unlock everything anyways. You HAVE been switching skill trees once they're maxed out right? Because it's no fun wasting a bunch of SP.

If you're talking about Arts... then no you can't reset your AP but you get lots of AP anyways throughout the game. Just concentrate on the arts you like to use for now and if you find later down the line that you prefer using something else, just start pouring AP into that instead.

You don't have the full tools for maximizing gem crafting at this point so there's not really much point in doing so unless you feel like making some higher ranked Agility gems or something. IIRC you're also at the point where you can go get a Mobile Ether Furnace by
starting the Colony 6 Reconstruction and then getting a quest from the Gem Man in Colony 9. Actually I think he has the quest available even before you start the Colony 6 Reconstruction.

Fireblend

Banned
Well that's all good to know. Thanks! I, uh, just realized I haven't been using the Collectopedia at all. Oops! Just got tons of gem rewards
KuGsj.gif

So if I want to sell some equipment I'm not using do I have to unattach any gems? Will the price be affected for armor/weapons with a gem?

How does it work :)

oakenhild

22.5 hours in and level 40. Game gets better and better.

The battle in the tomb was no joke (got it on the second try). I took out the telethia first, then the lady. Had to use Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla. Tried with Dunban instead of Sharla, and just didn't have the healing from just Shulk to keep everyone alive.

Rich!

22.5 hours in and level 40. Game gets better and better.

The battle in the tomb was no joke (got it on the second try). I took out the telethia first, then the lady. Had to use Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla. Tried with Dunban instead of Sharla, and just didn't have the healing from just Shulk to keep everyone alive.

Riki has healing, and awesome arts too

Anyhow, I'm trying to get to level 99 now. I've got EXP UP V gem, but I'm pissed off I missed out on the IV one. Goddamnit

putarorex

I've been playing the game during my commute to and from work and I'm really enjoying it. The combat system seems pretty deep and can be really satsifying now that I worked out the combos and stun systems. The AI of your partners seem really good (I like that they are following through with my combo initiations and are CCing mobs we are not targeting). I am MMO fan so I really like the buff, debuff, and crowd control mechanics as well. The only negative so far is when you get adds and you have more than four mobs it gets really confusing with the small screen and huge UI and I have a hard time telling which mob I am targeting. That was pretty bad until I realized I could just pull mobs to safe spots so I wouldn't have to worry about the adds. This game is so damn MMO-like.

ChrisD

So I've had Seven for a bit and made it to
Mechonis Fields

I'm not bored, but I'm beginning to feel the urge to play wane. The JRPG effect, where things go on for a bit too long sometimes.

About how far to go if I'm bypassing Sidequests? Ten more hours would be like... My perfect point. Anything longer than that and I fear burn-out. =

alvis.exe

Mechonis Fields

I'm not bored, but I'm beginning to feel the urge to play wane. The JRPG effect, where things go on for a bit too long sometimes.

About how far to go if I'm bypassing Sidequests? Ten more hours would be like... My perfect point. Anything longer than that and I fear burn-out. =

You're pretty close. The rest of the areas are a lot more dungeon-y. If you ignore sidequests it shouldn't take all that long.

Rich!

Mechonis Fields

About 15 minimum to get to the endgame from there. Yep. Bear in mind, SHIT GETS REAL when you get to the top and confront egil for the last time.

And by real, I mean as real as shit can get. The storyline explodes. Keep with it, it'll blow you away and fuck your mind up.

Seriously.

So if I want to sell some equipment I'm not using do I have to unattach any gems? Will the price be affected for armor/weapons with a gem?

How does it work :)

It automatically removes any gems currently equipped to weapons or armor.

Mechonis Fields

Once you get to
the top of the Mechonis
the story finally kicks into high gear after slow-walking through most of the game. Like others have said you still have quite a bit of game left, at least 10 hours, but it's the most interesting and fast-paced part of the game.

Alrus

Welp, after resisting for a while I caved in and bought this game. Was pretty far in on the Wii but had other things to do and it's been so long that I felt I'd be completely lost, plus I don't have access to it very often.

Game isn't too pretty but it's not nearly as bad as I thought watching the trailers (still, the aliasing is a bit distracting). Played for a while, still not good enough to kill named monsters without outleveling them by one or two. (Stupid Cellar Bugworm, I really wanted to beat you at level 9 :( )

Wanted to do a playthrough without doing all the sidequests (I kinda burned out on the Wii version after a while because I tried to complete everything), but I can't help it, having uncompleted stuff in a menu is bother me too much :(

Edit : Also the game was impossible to find in any store in my town, I'm guessing the shipment was either very low and/or a bunch of store didn't even bother ordering it.

Decided to take the plunge due to some credit I had, but I've yet to open.

One thing putting me off slightly is the fact people keep saying it looks like garbage. Now, don't get me wrong ... graphics aren't that important to me, but I'll appreciate a game that looks visually appealing and doesn't repulse my senses. It doesn't have to be impressive on a technical level, but a good art direction goes a long way(which is why I don't mind a lot of indie games). Fantasy Life, for example, looks perfectly fine even if it isn't a technical marvel.

Is it really as ugly as I've been led to believe? I know it's a very open and vast game, but I'd like to enjoy the world I'm looking at.
I wouldn't say it's ugly, but playing on the n3DS XL really hurts the experience.

You see those scanlines in the photos above? In 3D mode it's a grid. And it looks just as bad in person as it does in those photos.

I do think it's worth getting as soon as Nintendo brings over a non-XL n3DS though.

Rich!

I do think it's worth getting as soon as Nintendo brings over a non-XL n3DS though.

Actually, speaking as someone who has both models, Xenoblade looks significantly worse on the smaller N3DS. Especially the text.

So no, I fully disagree. I've been meaning to post some comparison pics actually.

And also, I wouldn't ever tell anyone to wait for an American release of the N3DS smaller model. If it was going to happen, it would have done already. Its not happening.

Actually, speaking as someone who has both models, Xenoblade looks significantly worse on the smaller N3DS. Especially the text.

So no, I fully disagree. I've been meaning to post some comparison pics actually.

And also, I wouldn't ever tell anyone to wait for an American release of the N3DS smaller model. If it was going to happen, it would have done already. Its not happening.
I presuming you're playing with the 3D off, then?

I don't see how it could be worse with the 3D on. Perhaps if it shot literal laser beams into my eyes.

I do agree that a lot of the text is too small.

oakenhild

?

I don't understand why not. I don't have 3D on full in Xenoblade, but it does increase the viewable POV and resolution over 2D.

I do the same, it's up about half-ways most of the time. I do turn it off at times as it seems to reduce some of the pixelation, but prefer it to be in 3D for the added depth.

ZeroX03

Banned
3D makes everything a little clearer and sharper to me. I can't see a reason to turn it off. Maybe in really dark scenes with ghosting, but there haven't been any that bad for me yet.

Is there a way to remove gems that are on a piece of armor you aren't using anymore but are in your inventory?

I have two gems that are greyed out and I'm assuming it's because they're on another article of armor....but I have so many I have no idea which ones.

Is there a way to remove gems that are on a piece of armor you aren't using anymore but are in your inventory?

I have two gems that are greyed out and I'm assuming it's because they're on another article of armor....but I have so many I have no idea which ones.

Doesn't matter that they're slotted. You can reslot them just fine or sell them without manually unslotting.

CassSept

Mechonis Fields

As others have said, keep pushing on. I do think the second one is the most boring one and very cliched, but once you get past it, oh boy. Last 10 hours are insane.

Velcro Fly

Yeah it sure is fun doing a quest and discovering a secret area in the process and then I have to fast travel and walk 9 miles again because a level 76 mob won't let me leave.

Cool game design.

CassSept

Yeah it sure is fun doing a quest and discovering a secret area in the process and then I have to fast travel and walk 9 miles again because a level 76 mob won't let me leave.

Cool game design.

That sound like Tranquil Grotto in Gaur Plains, but that's like <1 minute from nearest landmark.

Rich!

How is the framerate?

Almost exactly the same as the Wii version, and amazingly its better in some scenes such as the infamous battle near the end of the game
in the Bionis heart
which is smooth as opposed to the jerky mess the Wii version gave us in that battle.

it's impressive

TheMoon

Almost exactly the same as the Wii version, and amazingly its better in some scenes such as the infamous battle near the end of the game
in the Bionis heart
which is smooth as opposed to the jerky mess the Wii version gave us in that battle.

it's impressive

Don't enable him. Lazy people don't get spoon-fed answers :p

Especially since I even linked to your post in that first bullet point about performance in the FAQ.^^

Starting playing it last night. I enjoyed the little introduction/prologue. I also then spent the next hour exploring and getting a ton of side quests, A TON. I thought people were joking but hot damn there's a lot of sidequests. I'm glad that a lot of them are fodder quests and basically get completed after you've done them. But there is more important sidequests which you have to return to the guy who issued it to you.
I'm only a few hours into the game and I'm at the first dungeon?
Some ruins with Reyn and Fiora.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The game looks a bit rough, but this is a Wii game ported down so I'm amazed it runs as well as it is. I'm getting used to the MMO style gameplay, I'm not a big fan of it mind but this feels very tactical. Especially as Shulk as a character seems to be all about hitting monsters in certain places.

I love the British voice acting and will actually be annoyed if it doesn't continue through to X.

TheMoon

pls enable me

thanks tho, and yeah I didn't read OP (framerate info is not a common thing to see in an OP) so sue me.

I'll have my lawyer draw something up^^

Performance was the top thing people were worried about so that's why it's the first thing I covered after the introductory bits.

Rich!

I do have to say that you are putting too much stock into the OP. Its great yeah, but a simple fact of forums is that many people don't read them.

If someone comes into a thread, asks about something in the OP, I see it as an entry to dialogue and differing views on what is being explained/specified. Telling people to simply shut up and read the OP is counter intuitive to discussion and puts people off due to the confrontational tone that you are displaying. You might as well tell anyone who comes into this thread to sod off to gamefaqs or read a walkthrough instead.

Just my opinion, as someone who has been making threads here for years. It really does put people off, and makes you look more than slightly obsessive about it.

TheMoon

I explained why I do it earlier. Not seeing a problem with it. I'm simply expecting people with basic/obvious questions to take a glance at it before asking about them. Simple as that.

Rich!

I explained why I do it earlier. Not seeing a problem with it. I'm simply expecting people with basic/obvious questions to take a glance at it before asking about them. Simple as that.

You need to accept that many people simply won't.

No need at all to be confrontational or rude to people asking innocent questions.

ChrisD

Late response, but thanks for the replies. Will try to push through this section and get to the better, final act.

I just remembered dropping Persona 4 Golden in the next to last dungeon since it turned out I still had something like twenty more hours to go. Well that and I was under leveled. I don't know how, but Xenoblade has managed to keep an extremely steady difficulty curve throughout. And I love it. So much.

Dice//

Banned
Oh my gooooood.....

High Entia CHILDREN are 40 years old... even with an expanded lifespan, I can't think of taking care of an infant for over 10 years let alone what follows with childhood...

Starting playing it last night. I enjoyed the little introduction/prologue. I also then spent the next hour exploring and getting a ton of side quests, A TON. I thought people were joking but hot damn there's a lot of sidequests. I'm glad that a lot of them are fodder quests and basically get completed after you've done them. But there is more important sidequests which you have to return to the guy who issued it to you.
I'm only a few hours into the game and I'm at the first dungeon?
Some ruins with Reyn and Fiora.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The game looks a bit rough, but this is a Wii game ported down so I'm amazed it runs as well as it is. I'm getting used to the MMO style gameplay, I'm not a big fan of it mind but this feels very tactical. Especially as Shulk as a character seems to be all about hitting monsters in certain places.

I love the British voice acting and will actually be annoyed if it doesn't continue through to X.

Bahahaha you're still in the tutorial. You'll know when the fun really starts. Trust me.

Combat really opens up more and more as the game progresses. There will be all sorts of tactics to consider, as well as prep work for choosing what sorts of Arts and skills you want to utilize. Keep in mind that in the Arts menu screen (not in combat) you can use the Y button to switch them around in their slots for where they'll be in combat. That way if you usually use 2 or 3 in a row or frequently you can put them together or in places you can easily get to in the heat of combat.

X is about New Los Angeles, so I'm not sure we'll get British voices. :( I like them too.

Top Bottom