• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Dice//

Banned
People never mention that Enchant also gives you a damage bonus against Mechon. It makes a big difference as you level it up and you definitely shouldn't stop using it just because the party has weapons that do damage to Mechon.

I didn't bother with Mechon Weapons for this exact reason till the "Mech Blade II" ones.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
People never mention that Enchant also gives you a damage bonus against Mechon. It makes a big difference as you level it up and you definitely shouldn't stop using it just because the party has weapons that do damage to Mechon.

I always mention that, but people never listen because "it's annoying to use enchant" or "I don't want to use Shulk."

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I always mention that, but people never listen because "it's annoying to use enchant" or "I don't want to use Shulk."

Why wouldn't anyone not want to use Shulk? That's like not wanting to use Cloud in FF7.

I got passed the Ether Mines and am now exploring the Satorl Marshes. Artwork and music is beautiful. Now I have to find the 4 offerings for the Coming of Age ceremony.

Storyline is starting to get very interesting. As soon as Dickson left the party he said something to the effect
I didn't tell these kids what they're getting into

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I like Shulk's voice especially apparent when (very early game spoilers)
Fiora dies
. His shout was always full of anger or desperation.

I totally agree. It was that scene that set the mood for the rest of the game, the voice actor really delivers that line with the kind of conviction that completely sells the game to you.

Why wouldn't anyone not want to use Shulk? That's like not wanting to use Cloud in FF7.

I got passed the Ether Mines and am now exploring the Satorl Marshes. Artwork and music is beautiful. Now I have to find the 4 offerings for the Coming of Age ceremony.

Storyline is starting to get very interesting. As soon as Dickson left the party he said something to the effect
I didn't tell these kids what they're getting into

It's not bad, but the constant foreshadowing via "character turns back to group and mutters something" gets tedious.

Dingens

Finally beat the game, after 90 hours. What a magnificent ride. Those last plot twists and cutscenes were something else.

I beat the game like 3 times already (the original japanese release + the european release twice) and can't praise whoever did those cut scenes enough. magnificent directing indeed.

Im on my first run and im at the final 2 areas.
prison island and space
After all this ive pretty much grinded/brute forced my way through and only had trouble on one boss.
Im sure the answer is auras and gems but without sharla how exactly am i expected to restore hp?
I just dont have the time like i used to to invest the 100+ hrs to master all systems like i used to so ive just always used sharla.

Dingens

prison island and space
After all this ive pretty much grinded/brute forced my way through and only had trouble on one boss.
Im sure the answer is auras and gems but without sharla how exactly am i expected to restore hp?
I just dont have the time like i used to to invest the 100+ hrs to master all systems like i used to so ive just always used sharla.

depends on the team you're using and the character you're playing yourself
I'm on my 4th play-through and decided to go without shulk, sharla or gem crafting this time. so far it's been going smoothly.
I'm sure this has been pointed out many times by now, but I'll just point it out again: if you focus on agility, healing becomes pretty much unnecessary. The only damage you'll receive with a high agility party is either ether or spike based - and countering those isn't so hard either (again, depending on your party)

I've you still want a dedicated healer, I'd recommend Riki instead of Sharla as his healing spell is pretty good with fast cool down and great area of effect. Also he is way more reliable in chain attacks and does a whole lot more damage than Sharla.

sometimes I wish you could run 1-member parties... would love to try beating the game with only one character :7

WarAdept

prison island and space

Heavy focus on Agility to dodge tank.
Reyn/Dunban as dedicated tank with smart use of Last Stand/Jaws of Death.
Aura heal gems.
Double Attack + Haste gems, combined with Seven's "All Double Attacks Crit" and Dunban's "All Crits Heal" skills.

Couple of ways to heal up, in addition to having the lighter heals of Shulk/Riki is more than enough when combined with CC (Topple/Paralyze/Daze/Sleep chains to greatly reduce enemy damage output).

jaosobno

Just a heads up Shopto are selling this for £20 new right now

I think shopto linking is still banned on here I think... sorry I apologise if they are still frowned upon on gaf however I've used them for years and never had a problem

£20 though is a bargain not sure how long its gonna be at that price though

Wow, thanks for the heads up, just ordered!

I snapped this up for £20 at TGC a few weeks ago. I still don't have the money to buy a New 3DS though...

Luckily I played it through on Wii twice. Love this game so much. Can't wait to pick up a cheap New 3DS when the next Nintendo handheld comes out.

Symtendo

I'm just about to leave
the fallen hand
at Level 57. How much longer realistically do you think I have left if I just do story stuff? I want to try and finish before the Digital Event next week and have already put 40 hours in.

Dingens

I'm just about to leave
the fallen hand
at Level 57. How much longer realistically do you think I have left if I just do story stuff? I want to try and finish before the Digital Event next week and have already put 40 hours in.

depends... do you intend to ignore anything but the main story? than I'd say about another
20 to 25 hours
- if you're only using shulk/reyn/sharla put another 5 hours on top of that as you're going to hit a brick wall around level 70 and that party won't be able to brute force it's way through that easily without some grinding.

but in my opinion, rushing games to meet some sort of arbitrary deadline isn't a very good reason to play in the first place...

Symtendo

depends... do you intend to ignore anything but the main story? than I'd say about another
20 hours
- if you're only using shulk/reyn/sharla put another 5 hours on top of that as you're going to hit a brick wall around level 70 and that party won't be able to brute force it's way through that easily without some grinding.

I'm using Shulk/ Reyn and Dunban if that makes a difference?

Thanks for the advice!

Dingens

I'm using Shulk/ Reyn and Dunban if that makes a difference?

Thanks for the advice!

barely...
I'd advice using your remaining hours to get accustomed to playing as melia and/or riki. Having one or two ether users in your party will make the last 5 hours of the game way easier..

Symtendo

barely...
I'd advice using your remaining hours to get accustomed to playing as melia and/or riki. Having one or two ether users in your party will make the last 5 hours of the game way easier..

By playing as them do you mean having them in my team or actually maining them as I have only used Shulk as my leader so far.

Bardiche

I've been playing this game since it's launch on the n3DS and I'm loving it; I still haven't started Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker because of this.
Based on what people are saying, Sharla is the worst party member in the game. For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of Melia and Riki, and I like sticking with my team of Shulk, Dunban, and Sharla.

Would it be too difficult sticking with this team throughout the whole game?

Overside

Banned
I've been playing this game since it's launch on the n3DS and I'm loving it; I still haven't started Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker because of this.
Based on what people are saying, Sharla is the worst party member in the game. For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of Melia and Riki, and I like sticking with my team of Shulk, Dunban, and Sharla.

Not at all, the story line events is very laid back as far as difficulty is concerned.

Finally beat the game this morning at like 5am.
Great ride and i definitely see why it was so praised.
Only negatives i can think of are:
Last boss was a joke
Dialogue in the final scenes was pretty cheesy and power of friendshippy in an eye rolling way.

Thats it, everything else was just great.

Shokio

Neo Member
Ok, for real, did the move around Seven's art manuals for this port? I remember being able to get Speed Shift and Air Fang at lvl 5 commerce Colony 6 but none of the merchants are selling that book. I've quintuple-checked.

And then Double Wind isn't in the Hidden Village like the Wiki says it is. Where TF is this girl's art books at?

Dingens

[...]

as others have pointed out, you'll most likely encounter a difficulty spike towards the end, but overcoming that is far from impossible, it may be a little bit frustrating though without any ether users.

the reason why I would personally encourage you to try other party combinations is simple:
I think it makes the game and it's battle systems way more interesting. the other party members have so much more to offer in terms of game play and playing styles, sticking to 3/7ths of what the game has to offer always felt like a huge waste to me
but in the end, it's up to you.
At least give playing as reyn a shot, that's also kinda fun

Craft

Finished yesterday and had a great time, spent most of my time either playing as Shulk or Riki.
I'll mix up my roster in NG+

My biggest problems was that the inventory management & Gem crafting was really time consuming, and comparing amour is more difficult than it should be.

krossj

Around 9 hours in and just met Sharla after exploring Bionis Leg for a bit. So much to explore and a lot of fun so far.

I just finished playing the port earlier today. I think the Wii version is the definitive release, but the New 3DS version is a solid substitute for anyone that can't play the Wii version. It's also really cool having the game on a handheld. It's a bit weird how 5 or so cutscenes are ripped straight from the Wii version, though. They look really out of place.

Finally beat the game this morning at like 5am.
Great ride and i definitely see why it was so praised.
Only negatives i can think of are:
Last boss was a joke
Dialogue in the final scenes was pretty cheesy and power of friendshippy in an eye rolling way.

Thats it, everything else was just great.

The last boss is kind of easy, especially compared to other late game content, but I think they still did a great job with the presentation and atmosphere of the encounter. It felt intense to me even though the combat itself wasn't.

Completely agree on the latter.

Incredibly helpful OT. I'm approaching 3 hours in, about to go into what I'm guessing is my first dungeon...
Tephra Cave
. Only mistake I've made so far is selling my entire haul upon entering district 9. I think I can manage still. I'm loving the game so far...

Simzyy

So I just finished this game (53 hours).

It's not without its problems (side quests, felt very grindy towards the end) but it was a hell of a ride. A great story and one of the most likeable casts in a JRPG (I think the British VO helps, hopefully X has it too but I doubt it).

Melia is a remarkably strong character considering the amount of turmoil she has to deal with
. I also found Shulk to be a welcome change of pace from your usual protagonist.

The OST really is one of the best too.

Symtendo

20 to 25 hours

but in my opinion, rushing games to meet some sort of arbitrary deadline isn't a very good reason to play in the first place...

Think I hit that Brock wall and the point where I need Ether users? Is it doable without? I'm at level 75 currently, is that enough or should I grind some more?

Symtendo

Ok, I apologise for the double post but In stating to loose the will in my fight with
Disciple Latharia
. The whole of my party are at level 75 and I've tried several combinations but can't take more than 1/8 of her health away. Can't seem to find a definite answer online as to what to do. Can anyone help?

Dingens

Think I hit that Brock wall and the point where I need Ether users? Is it doable without? I'm at level 75 currently, is that enough or should I grind some more?

At my very first play through (summer 2010, Japanese Version, 0 English guides available) I was able to brute-force my way through, so it's absolutely doable.
As I said, having Riki and/or Melia would make it waaaaay easier through...

and don't forget to regroup you party if they get pushed into the acid (R+down)

edit: which party are you using right now?

edit2: here is what you do, basically:
make sure your party got the best gear available to you equipped, don't forget to buy art books and to level up the arts you need.
my party advice would be Melia (player), 7th and Riki. Melia should get a few electric plus and ether gems.
during the fight she summons 4 nebula, kill only 3 of them to avoid her summoning 4 new ones. as long as those nebula are alive, lorithia will be protected by some kind of either shield, so you'll want to get rid of at least 3 of them.

Symtendo

Cool, that looks like sound advice, the problem I have is Melia isn't lasting long before getting killed and Im not building up enough of the party meter to save her.

Which arts would you recommend?

Dingens

arts...
for melia summon bolt, summon copy, summon fire, maybe summon wind, spear break, starlight kick and hypnosis (mostly for breaking visions), either mind blast or reflection (against visions)

for riki the 4 damage over time spells (poison, ice, fire and bleed) - I don't know how they are called in English. also his healing spell and... maybe hero time?

for 7th... I guess 2nd gear, and everything that looks like it could do some serious damage ;)

if you don't know how to play Melia properly, I found this old guide on gaf. it's still pretty useful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34985554&postcount=16970

(you can also use shulk instead of 7th if you don't feel confident about dealing with visions without him)

Symtendo

arts...
for melia summon bolt, summon copy, summon fire, maybe summon wind, spear break, starlight kick and hypnosis (mostly for breaking visions), either mind blast or reflection (against visions)

for riki the 4 damage over time spells (poison, ice, fire and bleed) - I don't know how they are called in English. also his healing spell and... maybe hero time?

for 7th... I guess 2nd gear, and everything that looks like it could do some serious damage ;)

if you don't know how to play Melia properly, I found this old guide on gaf. it's still pretty useful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34985554&postcount=16970

(you can also use shulk instead of 7th if you don't feel confident about dealing with visions without him)

Perfect, just beat it! It turns out I had no idea how to play as Melia, your selection of Arts and that Link worked a treat! I'm guessing I should be fine to go back to my Shulk, Reyn, Dunban combo for the rest of the game?

Am I in the home stretch now?

Dingens

i suppose there is nothing stopping you from going back to your old team. although, an ether-user could make fights easier, there is nothing quite like
lorithia
... meaning your team shouldn't encounter any further problems along the way
enjoy the home stretch ;)

Symtendo

i suppose there is nothing stopping you from going back to your old team. although, an ether-user could make fights easier, there is nothing quite like
lorithia
... meaning your team shouldn't encounter any further problems along the way
enjoy the home stretch ;)

Had a problem last night with
the dragon
but nothing a bit of grinding won't fix!

Thanks again for your help!

CassSept

Had a problem last night with
the dragon
but nothing a bit of grinding won't fix!

Thanks again for your help!

For future references, you don't really need grinding.
Just take it sloowly. Take a defensive team, use purge, stack spike def gems and you're good to go.

Symtendo

Just levelled up one level and was good to go. Speaking of which, I have just started the
Dickson
fight and notice that I am past the point of no return and can't save. I'm sitting at level 79, is this likely to be a problem for me? That boss also seems to own me but I haven't had many shots at it!

CassSept

Don't know if you've beaten it yet but I think I was 78 when entering point of no return, at 77 I still struggled later on but 78 was enough.

Just levelled up one level and was good to go. Speaking of which, I have just started the
Dickson
fight and notice that I am past the point of no return and can't save. I'm sitting at level 79, is this likely to be a problem for me? That boss also seems to own me but I haven't had many shots at it!

i beat it with 2 79s and an 80. It took a while on the final fight (several retries, probably more than an hour to finish it) but it's totally doable.

Symtendo

Now I'm on the 2nd form of the final boss and struggling again at level 81. What am I missing? I just can't get a handle on it.

Top Bottom