• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Reknoc

RPGCrazied said:
I hope you're right. I don't think I can wait a month. Though on Zavvi's page it says this, which makes what you said not seem right:

So if you're in the US and you order from them, you have to wait an additional two weeks after the 3-5 processing. Though I used a credit card, it shouldn't take 5 days to process that.

Aren't they just saying it can take up to 20 days after it's been shipped out? They usually charge you when they ship it.

Reknoc

RPGCrazied said:
I guess, but 20 days is like almost 3 weeks. :(

20 days is nothing. When you order a club Nintendo item they give you an estimate of 8 weeks and when they say 8 weeks they mean it.

And it probably wont take 20 days, they just don't want you complaining to them after a few days.

RPGCrazied

Reknoc said:
20 days is nothing. When you order a club Nintendo item they give you an estimate of 8 weeks and when they say 8 weeks they mean it.

And it probably wont take 20 days, they just don't want you complaining to them after a few days.

Your positive thinking is reassuring. Thanks. :) Though my dispatch date is still 2/9/11, which is the old date. I hope they don't ship it to me then. I already emailed them about it yesterday though.

mAcOdIn

Well don't think too positive, if it gets held up in customs there isn't shit you nor Zavvi can do about it but usually the stuff goes through in a day.

Reknoc

RPGCrazied said:
Your positive thinking is reassuring. Thanks. :) Though my dispatch date is still 2/9/11, which is the old date. I hope they don't ship it to me then. I already emailed them about it yesterday though.

They probably just haven't updated it, it wouldn't surprise me knowing Zavvi.

RPGCrazied

mAcOdIn said:
Well don't think too positive, if it gets held up in customs there isn't shit you nor Zavvi can do about it but usually the stuff goes through in a day.

Knowing my shit luck these days it'll get lost. Haha.

UltimateIke said:
I'm in the U.S. importing from Zavvi.com and just got an email alert from my credit card letting me know their charge of $48.60 just went through. Maybe they'll ship it early! =3

Ugh. You're like the 4th person to say this. I haven't got no email. I'm going to get screwed, I can feel it. :(

That's what I get for ordering in early June.

UltimateIke said:
I'm in the U.S. importing from Zavvi.com and just got an email alert from my credit card letting me know their charge of $48.60 just went through. Maybe they'll ship it early! =3
Yeah, I've been charged as well. Should be shipping early like I sad.

Zwei

slaughterking said:

WTF.gif

TDLink

I ordered off 365games due to all the bad press Zavvi had around here. Seeing the possibility of the Zavvi orders shipping early has me a bit depressed but hopefully 365 does the same.

I feel like Zavvi's reputation is worse than they deserve. There's undoubtedly something to be said about their customer service and shipping times on an anecdotal level, but overall they are as reliable and legitimate as any other other online shop. I never had any serious problems with them and I enjoy their cheap prices regularly.

slaughterking said:
I feel like Zavvi's reputation is worse than they deserve. There's undoubtedly something to be said about their customer service and shipping times on an anecdotal level, but overall they are as reliable and legitimate as any other other online shop. I never had any serious problems with them and I enjoy their cheap prices regularly.
Let's also try to remember all that they've done is charge these people. They haven't dispatched them yet. They probably won't do that till at least the beginning of next week.

It may seem that Zavvi gets a lot of flack - but there's a rather long thread cussing them on these forums. It's there for some reason. Of course things can and will occasionally go wrong with online stores and delivery. But everytime I've had a problem I've always found all the companies helpful - except Zavvi. They flat out lied on several occasions - were unhelpful - and even after they finally admitted the truth, they went back on the 'good will' offer they promised.

Anyway, both me and the girlfriend are like finding it hard to play anything else right now. We wants Xenoblade!

Yeah, like I said, I'm not trying to downplay the problems people certainly had and I don't want to stand up for the company and it's flaws, but sometimes people that got burned by them seem a little too vocal and paint a wrong picture. It's not like The Hut Group is a deliberate rip-off or something.

LProtag

Argh, I can't find my copy of Brawl anywhere to test to see if it will work. I assume the homebrew channel can easily be taken off if I need to send my Wii in for repairs right? But if I start playing Xenoblade and it stops working are they going to still see that I've been playing it on my American Wii?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
InsertNameHere said:
Argh, I can't find my copy of Brawl anywhere to test to see if it will work. I assume the homebrew channel can easily be taken off if I need to send my Wii in for repairs right? But if I start playing Xenoblade and it stops working are they going to still see that I've been playing it on my American Wii?
Move the save to an SD card? In fact, I'd probably just transfer everything possible to an SD card just to be safe. I don't think saves are locked to the console, apart from a few exceptions.

Oh, and delete your play history messages. I don't think they'll search for homebrew traces, so as long as evidence isn't in the really obvious places you should be fine. Although I do remember reading that some people have sent homebrewed Wiis to Nintendo and still got them fixed.

LProtag

chaosblade said:
Move the save to an SD card? In fact, I'd probably just transfer everything possible to an SD card just to be safe. I don't think saves are locked to the console, apart from a few exceptions.

Sounds like as good a plan as any. Just wish I could find my copy. I have the case but there's no disk in it... I wonder if I brought it somewhere and left it in someone's Wii. I don't remember ever doing that though. Blah.

Nix

Banned
chaosblade said:

Oh, and delete your play history messages. I don't think they'll search for homebrew traces, so as long as evidence isn't in the really obvious places you should be fine. Although I do remember reading that some people have sent homebrewed Wiis to Nintendo and still got them fixed.

Just curious, since I have a 2GB SD card. How many games will that hold exactly? Should I just get the 4BG. I've been thinking of getting it off Amazon, for awhile, but I've also been thinking my 2GB is fine...

InsertNameHere said:

It won't stop working... You will be fine.

LProtag

Bel Marduk said:
It won't stop working... You will be fine.

Haha. Thank you for attempting to be reassuring. Brawl worked for me on my launch Wii back in the day but... it's been at least two years since I've played it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nix said:
Just curious, since I have a 2GB SD card. How many games will that hold exactly? Should I just get the 4BG. I've been thinking of getting it off Amazon, for awhile, but I've also been thinking my 2GB is fine...
Saves are pretty small, I don't have any on my SD card, just VC/Wiiware games. Smash Bros is the only big save I know of, and maybe sports games if they are anything like last gen.

2GB should be fine, since you don't need to back up VC/WW games if you send the Wii in.

You should just install the USB loader if you're not sure if your DVD drive can handle the game (actually, you should install it anyway).
If the USB loader somehow can't can't rip your disc onto your USB device you immediately know that there is a problem with your Wii. And if it goes smoothly you don't have to bother with the game disc ever again to play the game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
InsertNameHere said:
Haha. Thank you for attempting to be reassuring. Brawl worked for me on my launch Wii back in the day but... it's been at least two years since I've played it.
Is this about worrying if your Wii can play dual-layer games or not? It's such a rare defect, I don't know why you'd be so worried about it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
slaughterking said:
You should just install the USB loader if you're not sure if your DVD drive can handle the game (actually, you should install it anyway).
If the USB loader somehow can't can't rip your disc onto your USB device you immediately know that there is a problem with your Wii. And if it goes smoothly you don't have to bother with the game disc ever again to play the game.
Off topic, but does the USB loader trim the games? So a 1GB game doesn't take up 4.7? I have a 40GB external HDD I'm not using anymore, I'm thinking about ripping my Wii games to it.

LProtag

slaughterking said:

USB loader seemed a little more complicated than just getting the homebrew channel. I guess I'm kinda screwed either way if I start playing it and it stops working or I try the USB loader and it won't rip.

If I have to get my lens repaired and I remove all the homebrew from my system before sending it in Nintendo probably won't be concerned, rigth?

LProtag

BocoDragon said:
Is this about worrying if your Wii can play dual-layer games or not? It's such a rare defect, I don't know why you'd be so worried about it.

I don't know, I worry about everything, haha. I have a launch Wii though, so that's what concerns me because those had the most problems. But I did play Brawl back in the day. I just wish I could find my copy to test it and give me peace of mind!

chaosblade said:
Off topic, but does the USB loader trim the games? So a 1GB game doesn't take up 4.7? I have a 40GB external HDD I'm not using anymore, I'm thinking about ripping my Wii games to it.
Yeah, it only installs the game data. Many Wii games aren't even 1GB.

BocoDragon

InsertNameHere said:
I don't know, I worry about everything, haha. I have a launch Wii though, so that's what concerns me because those had the most problems. But I did play Brawl back in the day. I just wish I could find my copy to test it and give me peace of mind!
I have a launch Wii and I've never had a problem in my life.

If yours played Brawl before, I'm going to say that it still works now. It's not like the dual layer thing is something that wears down any faster than anything else on the Wii (you might as well worry about it not playing discs at all), it's just that out of the box, some didn't play dual layer correctly and had to be fixed by Nintendo.

Even if your Wii's disc drive was, worse case scenario, FUCKED (not likely)... all the cool kids are using USB hard drives to load Wii games anyway. You can rip the game on your PC if you need.

Zihark

BocoDragon said:

If yours played Brawl before, I'm going to say that it still works now. It's not like the dual layer thing is something that wears down any faster than anything else on the Wii (you might as well worry about it not playing discs at all), it's just that out of the box, some didn't play dual layer correctly and had to be fixed by Nintendo.

Even if your Wii's disc drive was, worse case scenario, FUCKED (not likely)... all the cool kids are using USB hard drives to load Wii games anyway. You can rip the game on your PC if you need.
Actually, thats what happen to my wii- launch wii, brawl work then a few years later, dual layer discs and gamecube discs didn't work. my brothers took out the laser and replaced it, so now it works.

LProtag

BocoDragon said:

Right right. It just sat around in a box collecting dust for a while so that's why I'm a little worried. I guess I'll look into the USB loader if everything screws up. Thanks.

Aeana

BocoDragon said:

No you can't. Most PC DVD drives can't read Wii discs.

thefro said:
Did everyone notice they made versions of the videos from the Japanese official site with the English VA on the UK site?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXk1R7FKsDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRPyGxf6Z0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN6Kf9X54iI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GphU5kHtls

#3/#4 are the best (although SPOILERS in #4 obviously)

They've been on the Xenoblade Youtube channel for awhile now.

I've only watched one and could tell that it was spoilery so I haven't watched any of the others.

BocoDragon

Zihark said:
Actually, thats what happen to my wii- launch wii, brawl work then a few years later, dual layer discs and gamecube discs didn't work. my brothers took out the laser and replaced it, so now it works.
That's just a dying drive, then.. not specifically the "dual layer" defect.

I mean anything can randomly break/die, but no reason to expect it in regards to dual layer games in particular.

LProtag

Since I've been playing No More Heroes fine I'll assume my drive is working okay. Alright, sorry for all the off topic talk. I just get weary when I spend 90 dollars on a collector's edition of something and there's a chance it won't work, haha.

I guess I'm a bit too excited that I'm actually going to get the game and that's making me nervous that it won't work.

SOLDIER

Question: Can I use the SSBB method to homebrew my Wii if it's at version 4.3u?

And aside from playing region-free games, what are the other advantages of the Wii homebrew?

BocoDragon

Aeana said:
No you can't. Most PC DVD drives can't read Wii discs.
Well I'll be damned. I guess it really is an alternative "Nintendo Optical Disc".

SOLDIER said:
Question: Can I use the SSBB method to homebrew my Wii if it's at version 4.3u?

And aside from playing region-free games, what are the other advantages of the Wii homebrew?

First question: Yes. There's also an alternate method of installing homebrew without requiring any games that was just made public.

Second question: there are a bunch. Try the GAF Tutorial for help/suggestions:

Synless

I paid with paypal and 365games.com charged me on the 11th of July. Did anyone else who ordered from them get charged instantly like I did?

SOLDIER

SecretMoblin said:
First question: Yes. There's also an alternate method of installing homebrew without requiring any games that was just made public.

Second question: there are a bunch. Try the GAF Tutorial for help/suggestions:

Thanks a lot.

So I decided to use ShopTo to pre-order the game.

At 1st class international shipping with tracking, the total came to $50.56.

Are they a reliable distributor? Am I likely to get this earlier than any of the free shipping vendors (Zavii, 365games)?

SOLDIER said:
Are they a reliable distributor? Am I likely to get this earlier than any of the free shipping vendors (Zavii, 365games)?

I've found them to be reliable in the past, but only posting to me in the UK.

However they're a banned site on GAF now after they lost people's details a few months back.

SOLDIER said:
Thanks a lot.

So I decided to use ShopTo to pre-order the game.

At 1st class international shipping with tracking, the total came to $50.56.

Shopto are great. They nearly always send it out a day or two early as well.

wrowa

I really hope Xenoblade won't make any problems with the USB loader. The disc drive of my Wii has become really noisy and clicky, I don't trust it to last for another 100hrs RPG :lol

That being said... I can't wait.

Top Bottom