• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

After I got the final party member I had a
girls-only
party for most of the rest of the game.
Fiora was the leader with Sharla and Melia being the support. <3

slaughterking said:
After I got the final party member I had a
girls-only
party for most of the rest of the game.
Fiora was the leader with Sharla and Melia being the support. <3

wow
ladies only eh? right now my party is shulk, dunban and sharla but I had to switch those two out for Reyn and Riki when battling a unique. thats been the only time ive switched it up. That trio you mentioned does sound pretty interesting though. I liked Fiora right from the start with that 4 hit combo she uses.

JumpingTheGun said:
wow
ladies only eh? right now my party is shulk, dunban and sharla but I had to switch those two out for Reyn and Riki when battling a unique. thats been the only time ive switched it up. That trio you mentioned does sound pretty interesting though. I liked Fiora right from the start with that 4 hit combo she uses.
I suspect you will like
the later Fiora even more then. :p She's got a pretty cool talent art system.

I try to avoid having Shulk in my party wherever possible
which is considerably easier now that the others can equip Mechon damaging weapons.
I cannot stand the whiny munter.

Id just like to say I was up until 5:30AM EST today playing this. Thats never happened to me with any game before in my history of gaming. I almost played til sunrise! If thats not a testament to how engrossing and good this game is then I dont know what is =D

sublimit

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I'll just be starting out on Tuesday, any tips for me? :3 What should I watch out for, etc, etc.

Just a small tip (which i unfortunately found out some 20 hours after the start of the game),is that you can bring up the big map whenever you want with just one button press (-).After i found that out i immediately turned off the on-screen mini map and i can enjoy more screen space for the beautiful environments.

But i guess someone must've already mentioned this here so therefore you probably already knew.:p

slaughterking said:
Alright, I think I'm done with Xenoblade. I got close to 100 hours of great fun out of it and even though I still have quite a bit of end game content (i.e. grinding for stuff) left, I consider my adventure done since I don't want to burn out and ruin the game forever for me.
Fantastic experience and it's still funny that North America is missing out on a great piece of JRPG culture while Europe isn't. :I

I'm 45 hours in and also thinking about quitting. Graphics, art and music are still freaking amazing for a Wii game. The battle system gets tedious over time, especially due to being "overleveled" constantly. Not sure how they could miss this with such a polished overall experience. Also it's very annoying that I get tons of hunt or fetch quests, but probably miss out on the more interesting ones, due to the day/night mechanic of the npcs. I really can't be bothered to run around the same area for hours. Overall a good game, but I guess I just don't have the patience for JRPGs anymore.

sublimit

Banned
schennmu said:
Also it's very annoying that I get tons of hunt or fetch quests, but probably miss out on the more interesting ones, due to the day/night mechanic of the npcs. I really can't be bothered to run around the same area for hours.

You can see at what time of the day (or night) the npcs are active then turn the clock at that particular time.I do this all the time otherwise i'd have never found some of them.

Gvaz

Banned
When people are talking about endgame quests related to the seal, what are the quests themselves? Locked away optional bosses? Is there a period of time like, "is there anything you still need to do before the final encounter?" where you can get these done or...?

schennmu said:
I'm 45 hours in and also thinking about quitting. Graphics, art and music are still freaking amazing for a Wii game. The battle system gets tedious over time, especially due to being "overleveled" constantly. Not sure how they could miss this with such a polished overall experience. Also it's very annoying that I get tons of hunt or fetch quests, but probably miss out on the more interesting ones, due to the day/night mechanic of the npcs. I really can't be bothered to run around the same area for hours. Overall a good game, but I guess I just don't have the patience for JRPGs anymore.
So don't do the sidequests? No one's stopping you.

Haunted said:
endgame spoilers

WTF I just saw a lvl 114 monster at Valak Mountain. I thought your party's max level is 99 - how the fuck am I even supposed to touch that thing!?

Not endgame per se, but that's the hardest boss in the game, if you're lvl 99, it'll be 120

thefro

schennmu said:

Just finish the story and forget about the quests.

Zafir

schennmu said:
I'd agree with what others have said. Just quit doing the sidequests. It's what I did, and I've enjoyed it more since I did. The only problem is you may end up having the opposite problem, aka being underleveled.

Haunted

Dascu said:
You have to get creative with gems. There's an accuracy penalty that would make such a high-level enemy practically invincible. However, there's gems that can boost your own accuracy. For instance the Night Vision+ gems. Equip a bunch of those, set the time to night, and you will be able to hit those enemies.

There's a more detailed strategy out there that explains how to easily defeat those 100+ "super-bosses". It's basically about crafting the right gems and using the right team to improve your accuracy, negate their spike damage and keep them toppled for most of the battle.
That's pretty crazy.

Some of you are really playing this all wrong you need a good mix of story and side-quests, Dont get so OCD most of the Quests will wait, or you dont really need to do them all that why they give you so many.

Dragon

Banned
Wow this game just totally opened up like hardcore. I thought Colony 9 had a lot of quests, holy crap the Bionis Leg is just craziness.
Man I want to kill that guy Earnest, guy got me killed going to Tranquil Grotto. What an asshat.

Gvaz

Banned
sx4p01-40v4zr.jpg

sx4p01-64t2pa.jpg

Zafir said:
I'd agree with what others have said. Just quit doing the sidequests. It's what I did, and I've enjoyed it more since I did. The only problem is you may end up having the opposite problem, aka being underleveled.

Yeah, guess I'll do that. With better balancing and more interesting side quests, this game would be pretty perfect.

MicH

This game goes above and beyond. Wow, just wow.

(Spoiler incoming, if you haven't experienced common lvl 54 monsters, do not read)
Ih wow. Just played from Sword Valley to the Hidden Machina Village. Amazing, just amazing. And I finally got Fiora back <3 Very touching moments between her, Shulk and Dunban. And then the game throws something completely new into the field - Machina Village? What! I haven't even explored it yet, just got there and saved, but wow. This game keeps coming up with new things!

How far into the game am I? Anyone know?

MicH said:
This game goes above and beyond. Wow, just wow.

(Spoiler incoming, if you haven't experienced common lvl 54 monsters, do not read)
Ih wow. Just played from Sword Valley to the Hidden Machina Village. Amazing, just amazing. And I finally got Fiora back <3 Very touching moments between her, Shulk and Dunban. And then the game throws something completely new into the field - Machina Village? What! I haven't even explored it yet, just got there and saved, but wow. This game keeps coming up with new things!

How far into the game am I? Anyone know?
55 to 60% I'd say.

MicH

slaughterking said:
55 to 60% I'd say.
Damn!
Galahad Fortress really felt like an endgame dungeon, but I knew it wasn't.
Can't wait to see what the game throws at me for the rest 40% :D

gogojira

I know this question is probably getting really annoying right now, but I've got to ask it: where's the most reliable place to import?

I see that it's pretty hard to come by, but should I try GAME or Zavvi (seems like I heard bad things there), or somewhere else? Thanks for any help.

Edit: I see Game doesn't have it in stock, guess I'll be on there alert list for now.

Edit 2: Giving Amazon's Italian site a chance. Let's see how this turns out.

wazoo

Die Squirrel Die said:
Oh god, I'm in cutscene hell. The story just fell off a cliff and is now ramming it's terrible down my throat.

where are you ? I am Lev 60, 60h in, and I have not found some part with bad and boring cutscenes.

Anyone cleared that jump on Agul Mountain Range? There's a slope of ice and a climbable surface on the other side but I keep missing it and falling down into the water

Dascu

BlazingDarkness said:
Anyone cleared that jump on Agul Mountain Range? There's a slope of ice and a climbable surface on the other side but I keep missing it and falling down into the water
Put on gems that make you walk faster.

BlazingDarkness said:
Yes, timing is everything. Did it on my third try.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
BlazingDarkness said:

Yup. It takes a while but it's possible to do without speed gems.

Go_Ly_Dow

BlazingDarkness said:

That was soooo frustrating. You literally have to jump at the very last point possible.

Fairly sure I had no gems on either.

Hiltz

Dmax3901 said:
Here's a question: How many of you use someone other than Shulk as your player character? If you don't, who do you use and for how long a stint?

I'm lvl 34 and haven't used anyone else.

Sharla - I primarily play as Sharla for several reasons. First, her long range weapon makes it the most convenient to take out lower level enemies with. Secondly, you don't have to be concerned with your position in relation to the enemy during combat. In addition, since she doesn't have to be up close to the enemy, then it is easier to tell where she is on the battle field even when things can get chaotic at times. I usually feel more in control of determing the party's fate because of Sharla's healer role. Also, she has nice boobies.

Melia - I started to play as Melia once she joined the party. I heard that the she is more powerful when the player controls her as opposed to the AI and it's always refreshing to play as a different character anyway. With that said, I'm not a fan of her cliche character design and don't particularly like the how it takes her a few seconds to set up an attack, but it is nice to be able to cause topple on your own. However, I have to admit that her
Mind blast move
is the coolest attack I have seen so far.

Dunban - He's the badass of the group and one of the most likeable too. I would like to control him more often because his moves are fun to perform, particularly the kick-related attacks. However, I feel compelled to make the most effective team and since the AI handles him well, I simply stick to playing as someone else. As far as close-range uses go, Dunban is by far my favorite.

Shulk - His Monado moves are pretty cool but his regular move list doesn't seem to evolve much. I'm not a fan of his character design and trying to take advantage of his back and side melee attacks on enemies can be time-consuming if aggro is focused on him. I will say that he does have some amusing battle victory one-liners.

Reyne - Unfortunately, I don't have much use for him. He's a good tank character but I don't see a need to use him when Dunban can do what he does by dodging attacks instead of taking the beating. Also, Reyne's move list is probably the most boring out of all of the characters.

Rikki - He's a funny support character with an oddball move list. Unfortunately, I can't find a place for him on the team as there's already a good tank, healer, and damage dealer. The only time I control him is when wanting to travel long distances faster while ignoring combat. So I just equip him with quick step gems.

Afrocious

To anyone who has gotten the final party member...

She seems very customizable but I don't think she's too much of a healer. I'm guessing she's a tank, but is she as good as Dunban? Also what sort of equipment should I focus on having her use? Unlike the rest of the party, I can't just go with one piece of armor and call it a day until I find the next best thing that makes all the stats blue.

Zafir

gogojira said:
I know this question is probably getting really annoying right now, but I've got to ask it: where's the most reliable place to import?

I see that it's pretty hard to come by, but should I try GAME or Zavvi (seems like I heard bad things there), or somewhere else? Thanks for any help.

Edit: I see Game doesn't have it in stock, guess I'll be on there alert list for now.

Edit 2: Giving Amazon's Italian site a chance. Let's see how this turns out.
Guidence if amazon.it doesn't come through for you, or anyone else in a similar situation.

Apparently Nintendo are working on the stock situation and should have more copys out in

People apparently got their games from 365games in a week. Their copies didn't ship until the monday after release, but they arrived faster than the ones that shipped the week before. So I suppose that is another place to look out for.

If it's true what people were saying regarding Zavvi/thehut/ASDA's copies being sent through mainland europe before being forwarded to the US, then I'd avoid them if you are wanting a quick arrival.

Other than that, it's a coin toss on how long it'll take if you aren't paying £10+ extra for courier shipping. It's generally out of the retailers hands, they can't predict any hold ups along the way.
Afrocious said:

She seems very customizable but I don't think she's too much of a healer. I'm guessing she's a tank, but is she as good as Dunban? Also what sort of equipment should I focus on having her use? Unlike the rest of the party, I can't just go with one piece of armor and call it a day until I find the next best thing that makes all the stats blue.
She's DPS. It's honestly why I haven't really used her. As for equipment, honestly, I've kept the stuff she had on when I got her. Her equipment is unique to her, so you have to sort of wait till you get anything better. I do have some slightly better legplates but it ruins the asthetic look, lol...

LProtag

I actually haven't picked this up for a day or two because I'm torn between grinding out quests and continuing the storyline, haha.

Weird thing I never thought I'd be going through in an RPG.

McNum

Afrocious said:

(Final character spoiler)
She's a single target DPS machine. (Pun intended.) Get her the Speed parts for high Agility and a built in Haste V gem and watch her become a blender. (Even if moving fast in an outfit like that must chafe in uncomfortable areas.) She'll dodge okay like that, too, but she's about as durable as Shulk, if a little less. Still, when you want something taken out with physical damage, she's a good choice. Melia is better at AoE damage spam, though.

Also, to ask a question of my own, I'm at (level 60-65 location spoiler)
The Central Factory
. Percentage wise, how far am I? 70%? 80%? I feel another plot wham moment coming up.

Zafir

McNum said:
(Final character spoiler)
She's a single target DPS machine. (Pun intended.) Get her the Speed parts for high Agility and a built in Haste V gem and watch her become a blender. (Even if moving fast in an outfit like that must chafe in uncomfortable areas.) She'll dodge okay like that, too, but she's about as durable as Shulk, if a little less. Still, when you want something taken out with physical damage, she's a good choice. Melia is better at AoE damage spam, though.

Also, to ask a question of my own, I'm at (level 60-65 location spoiler)
The Central Factory
. Percentage wise, how far am I? 70%? 80%? I feel another plot wham moment coming up.
I'm at the same point and I was thinking around 66%-70% myself.

So I'm at the point in the game where you first have a choice of which 3 characters to party with. More specifically, I'm at the point where I just acquired
Dunban
outside of
Colony 6

Out of curiosity, are there any characters who I absolutely should not level for some reason? Please answer Yes or No, but not the character name, if possible. It's purely out of curiosity.

KarmaCow

Characters outside the battle party get pretty much the same exp/ap/sp, so you don't need to worry about leveling characters evenly.

wrowa

timetokill said:
So I'm at the point in the game where you first have a choice of which 3 characters to party with. More specifically, I'm at the point where I just acquired
Dunban
outside of
Colony 6

Out of curiosity, are there any characters who I absolutely should not level for some reason? Please answer Yes or No, but not the character name, if possible. It's purely out of curiosity.
You don't need to level any characters, everyone gets the same EXP. Regardless whether they are inside or outside the party.

Hela

Sadist said:
To ... many... quests...
That's my problem. Got really bored with them by hour 40. Random NPCs placement (they wander around, can only be met at a specific hour, plus the '!' sign shows up way too close and should instead be permanently displayed on the map) doesn't help at all. Now I just do those which give a lot od xp.

Diffense

Hela said:
That's my problem. Got really bored with them by hour 40. Random NPCs placement (they wander around, can only be met at a specific hour, plus the '!' sign shows up way too close and should permanently be displayed on the map) doesn't help at all. Now I just do those which give a lot od xp.

I alternate between play sessions where I do mostly quests and others where I advance the story.
You'll go crazy if you're really picky about finishing everything in one area before moving on.

I think once you get passed the halfway mark the sidequests are throttled a bit more, so there's less sidequests and more story content, which is a good change of pace IMO because it's easy to feel real burnt out just before then in
Alcamoth

wrowa said:
You don't need to level any characters, everyone gets the same EXP. Regardless whether they are inside or outside the party.
Oh man, is there ANYTHING this game isn't awesome at?

Besides jumping animations, I mean.

Vamphuntr

BlazingDarkness said:
I think once you get passed the halfway mark the sidequests are throttled a bit more, so there's less sidequests and more story content, which is a good change of pace IMO because it's easy to feel real burnt out just before then in
Alcamoth

Unfortunately, after 2 areas without quests they come back in full force again.

Hela

Diffense said:
I alternate between play sessions where I do mostly quests and others where I advance the story.
I tried that, but I'm overleveled anyway, so I don't really, I'm not a completionist anyway.

gogojira

Zafir said:
Guidence if amazon.it doesn't come through for you, or anyone else in a similar situation.

Apparently Nintendo are working on the stock situation and should have more copys out in

People apparently got their games from 365games in a week. Their copies didn't ship until the monday after release, but they arrived faster than the ones that shipped the week before. So I suppose that is another place to look out for.

If it's true what people were saying regarding Zavvi/thehut/ASDA's copies being sent through mainland europe before being forwarded to the US, then I'd avoid them if you are wanting a quick arrival.

Other than that, it's a coin toss on how long it'll take if you aren't paying £10+ extra for courier shipping. It's generally out of the retailers hands, they can't predict any hold ups along the way.

She's DPS. It's honestly why I haven't really used her. As for equipment, honestly, I've kept the stuff she had on when I got her. Her equipment is unique to her, so you have to sort of wait till you get anything better. I do have some slightly better legplates but it ruins the asthetic look, lol...

Nice, thanks for the tips. Hopefully Amazon works out so I can be done with it.

Top Bottom