• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Frillen said:
But my attacks seems to do almost nothing. Only like 300 or so in damage. And I get slaughtered.
She has a
physical barrier
, so
physical attacks
won't do much good. Try
ether based arts while the barrier is up.

Frillen said:
Okey, so I'm level 73 and facing Disciple Lorithia right now. Any tip on how to beat her? Should I take down the minions first or just ignore them? It seems like it will take forever to take her down.
Yew tips (its a level
boss for anyone wondering):
-
Make sure Melia is on the team. She can eat the summoned elementals for breakfast which should help you do damage to the main boss. Could also try constant bleed/burn/freeze/poison damage (aka Rikki)
-
If the AI likes to fight in the pools of ether (a quick way to die) order them by your side (then order them to fight, else they'll stand there and do nothing)
-
If you can't keep the AI out of the ether (due to a party member drawing agro then being pushed there) you might like to play as someone who will draw agro.

MicH

All right, I have four stars in Colony 9 but currently have two incomplete quests pending (one is that stupid quest where I have to boost affinity between two female characters and it takes AGES!) and one with a unique that just won't respawn.

Can I get the 5th star yet - if so, how? I can't seem to find any quests and I know I'm missing Search Quest 1.

I'm level 76 approaching the end but....don't want to :( I'm running around leveling up and doing some quests. I'm really enjoying the game in a way I just don't want it to finish until a MonolithSoft game is announced so I can be torchered by waiting along with NOA bitching.

Apenheul

MicH said:
I have to boost affinity between two female characters and it takes AGES!) and one with a unique that just won't respawn.

This one in particular is hard if you haven't got a lot of sidequests left to do, because getting hearts from accepting new quests is the easiest way to boost affinity.

Question about the enemy-less area ~30% into the game:

I was going back and trying to fill out my maps, and I noticed a large part of the map of Inside Bionis is unfilled. It looks like there's a cave of some sort on the first level, but I can't find the entrance. Is that area only accessible as part of an endgame quest, or did I miss something?

SecretMoblin said:

I was going back and trying to fill out my maps, and I noticed a large part of the map of Inside Bionis is unfilled. It looks like there's a cave of some sort on the first level, but I can't find the entrance. Is that area only accessible as part of an endgame quest, or did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything. Proceed normally. You don't need to know more.

Ledsen

SecretMoblin said:

It's pretty obvious you'll come back later.

McNum

RPGCrazied said:
So if I do all the quests, I will steam roll through bosses? Good, I hate overly hard games. Can enjoy the story more.
You'll need to outlevel the bosses by 5-10 levels before they become harmless. Some of them have really nasty tricks that can mess you up if you take them lightly. Of course, so do you.

ramyeon

Managed to get Colony 9 affinity up to 3 stars after following advice here and talking to named NPCs a lot more. I wanna get started on Frontier Village but uni assignments are the priority for today I think :(

Anyone else find the Colony 6
restoration stuff a pain? I don't know, it's just more collecting quests and the upgrades are so expensive. I've levelled everything up once but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it again.

73 hours in now, level 53, just opened
Valak Mountains
<- midgame location spoiler
Gonna go back and do some sidequests first, 5 starred Colony Nine/ Central Bionis affinities, and I'm at three stars for Colony 6 and Upper Bionis
Addicted to sidequests lol

Feep

Banned
Frillen said:
Okey, so I'm level 73 and facing Disciple Lorithia right now. Any tip on how to beat her? Should I take down the minions first or just ignore them? It seems like it will take forever to take her down.
Just reminding everyone in this thread, DON'T FUCKING DO THIS. This is a black-bar spoiler with absolutely zero context, and no one knows if they're at an appropriate point in the game to highlight. Please give your level or other general contextual hint to let people know.

Jucksalbe

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
So if I do all the quests, I will steam roll through bosses? Good, I hate overly hard games. Can enjoy the story more.
The game messes around with the exp. a lot. One or two dungeons and your level is probably back to where the game wants it to be. But the game isn't hard anyway.

MicH

Midgame-spoiler at lvl 50 here at
Valak Mountain
, do not read unless you are sure that you have been here!
Oh man the events at Valak Mountain. Mechon leader!? Fiora :( MUNKHAR! So awesome. The cutscenes are so AMAZING. Melia's "I WILL NOT BOW TO YOU" was so cool :p Man, I can't wait to progress. Currently at the supply-pod in Sword Valley. Prepping my guys to kick som Mechon ass!

Finalow

Starwolf_UK said:
Yew tips (its a level
boss for anyone wondering):
-
Make sure Melia is on the team. She can eat the summoned elementals for breakfast which should help you do damage to the main boss. Could also try constant bleed/burn/freeze/poison damage (aka Rikki)
-
If the AI likes to fight in the pools of ether (a quick way to die) order them by your side (then order them to fight, else they'll stand there and do nothing)
-
If you can't keep the AI out of the ether (due to a party member drawing agro then being pushed there) you might like to play as someone who will draw agro.
* this. I think that she is the hardest boss battle of this game.

ramyeon

Breezy Zolos in Makna Forest is a pain to kill. Spike damage is ridiculously annoying and then that gigantic dinosaur always decides to come around and one hit me.

ramyeon said:
Breezy Zolos in Makna Forest is a pain to kill. Spike damage is ridiculously annoying and then that gigantic dinosaur always decides to come around and one hit me.
Yeah I had the problem with the dinosaur aggroing mid battle, best thing to do is lure the Zolos southward away from the dinosaur

Question about a non-boss, lvl 57 unique:

So I'm in Sword Valley with my party around level 60. Obviously, I've been overleveled for pretty much the whole game and ever since I got Melia I've left almost every battle without a scratch. But I had to put Shulk in the party because of the Monado Enchant move, and this level 57 unique near Gate 3 almost always kills me in under 20 seconds. He has some moves that I'm not able to block or dodge - even with Dunban - and I'm pretty sure a major element of his strength is the Spike damage. I don't have many anti-Spike gems, so is the only real solution to kick Melia out of the party and have Shulk use Purge?

Lucentto said:
I still have not understood the existence of spike damage, seems like a pointless addition to the already loaded battle system.
I understand it, but I don't like how the only way to stop it is by using gems (which takes up space that can be used by other gems) or a very small number of arts.

And even though the ally AI is hardly terrible, I still wish there were gambits. I'm extremely anal about having total control over everything in RPGs, though, so I get why they left it out.

Phenomic

Uhh I'm super confused. I have a possibly stupid question to ask, but major major major spoilers if you click this. However, I need quick help if someone has beaten the game.

Just fought Zanza 1st form and I won the fight yay! Then everyone withdrew their swords and he disappeared. Now I can run around in a small space with a flag destination marker in the middle of the screen, however there is nothing there and nothing happens? Where am I suppose to go? I keep running into invisible walls.

I feel like an idiot but I don't really get it.

Did it glitch on me or something? I'm screwed aren't I... Edit* Uhh just found a GAMEFAQ's thread. I can't believe my game glitched on the final boss.... Now I have to redo a bunch of stuff.... Seriously this is pretty lame.

bubnbob

Banned
Phenomic said:
Uhh I'm super confused. I have a possibly stupid question to ask, but major major major spoilers if you click this. However, I need quick help if someone has beaten the game.

Just fought Zanza 1st form and I won the fight yay! Then everyone withdrew their swords and he disappeared. Now I can run around in a small space with a flag destination marker in the middle of the screen, however there is nothing there and nothing happens? Where am I suppose to go? I keep running into invisible walls.

I feel like an idiot but I don't really get it.

Did it glitch on me or something? I'm screwed aren't I...

Someone posted this same exact glitch earlier. This never happened to me, though. Sorry to say you might have to reload.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, Colony 6 immigrant question: Is there any real difference if I choose
Perrine
or
Mefimefi
? Is one option better than the other?

Up to about 51 hours now, level 46. I think I put in close to 5 hours today will making precisely zero main storyline progress once again. Once I'm satisfied/bored with sidequesting it'll be off to
Prison Island

Now that I've gone through the cramped corridors of the ether mine, I'm seeing one weakness of the battle system - the camera frequently gets stuck in awkward positions and when you're fighting multiple enemies there's so much going on that it becomes very difficult to know how to respond.

In other news, I've been doing random sidequesting in Colony 9 and raised its Affinity Level to 2. Building up the residents' Affinity Chart and following these sidequest chains is surprisingly addictive.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just started today, got about 5 hours in.

Yeah, holy shit. This is what I had been missing out in RPG's for many years. Tons of content, beautiful to look and listen to, doesnt insult your intelligence, new & novel gameplay systems. Landmark game.

Gvaz

Banned
Do you think I'm too overleveled for
Prison Island
? I'm level 50-51 @ 45.5 hours
emot-v.gif

Penguin

hosannainexcelsis said:
Now that I've gone through the cramped corridors of the ether mine, I'm seeing one weakness of the battle system - the camera frequently gets stuck in awkward positions and when you're fighting multiple enemies there's so much going on that it becomes very difficult to know how to respond.

In other news, I've been doing random sidequesting in Colony 9 and raised its Affinity Level to 2. Building up the residents' Affinity Chart and following these sidequest chains is surprisingly addictive.

The game does give you some type of manual control for the camera while in battle, but yeah, sometimes, I've had high angles but at such a weird angle pretty much staring at the back of my characters' feet so can't see what's going on.

So I'm lvl 66 now. Spoiler time!*Don't read if you haven't seen common lvl 58+ monsters(or others)
That was a fun boss fight. That's all I have to say about that lol. Anyways I did more side quests and think I 100%'d falling arm with all the 5 stars. Just need to make that one guy move to colony 6 and it will be done. But now colony 6 has side quest! So I'll have to do those tomorrow.
Fun fun fun.

Gvaz

Banned
Ahhhhhh I fucking missed the sword shot by a second. I'm so sad :(

Wait what do you mean I don't get to keep
melia for at least right now?
motherfucker!

Oh, false alarm :|

Lissar

Reluctant Member
hosannainexcelsis said:

There was one boss battle I was fighting where my leader couldn't move and the camera swung around wildly for a second before getting stuck up against a wall. :/ Fun times. Fortunately it was an unwinnable story battle, so it wasn't a huge deal. I was still annoyed though.

Leeness

F#A#Oo said:
So yay or nay?

I can only do maybe 3-4 hours per day worth of gaming...worth it?

Late reply, but I'm kind of in the same boat as you/I only get to play a couple hours every few days.

Still totally worth it. Get it. GET IT NOW. :D

JumpingTheGun said:
Does anyone have any idea where to find Love Cranes? I need them for a Frontier side and they're nowhere to be found in the Ether Mine.
I just found them scattered throughout the mine in various places. Nowhere special that I recall, I think i found 4 or so when I was there the first time.

Alex

I can only do maybe 3-4 hours per day worth of gaming...worth it?

Yeah, def it's worth it, that's plenty of time if you aren't partaking in all of the filler. Just skip all of the side quests and that'll cut gargantuan amounts of time. The questing system is like Final Fantasy XIV levels of bad anyhow, for all of the things they got right it sure as heck wasn't modern quest design. They're almost entirely mindlessly sprinkled chores with no meaning or tension that have that random generator smell to them. (that and they overpower you and break the rest of the game, oof)

Everything else is great though, really good main scenario, good combat when you don't overgrind, good subsystems (armor itemization is a bit busted though) and it's still fun to explore around, hit the landmarks and fight the rare monsters. There's more than enough to keep you occupied without feeling overwhelmed.

Hiltz

Got a character move list question.

For Melia, which move should I equip her with? There's Wind elemental, Earth elemental,Hypnosis and Reflection, or Burst something (it's the move that lowers enemy physical defense in a purple icon color) . Currently, the other moves she is equipped with are Lighting, Flare, Aqua, Summon Copy, Mind Blast, Spear Thrust, and Starlight Kick.

Lightspeed Sonid
is kicking my fucking ass. im at lvl 47 and its at 44. My party is Shulk, Dunban and Sharla. Im using Purge as much as possible as well as an opening chain attack to daze him and he still wont go down. Is there a better party or party member to use against him? Any strategies?

Top Bottom