• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

You didn't miss them but you can buy those intermediate manuals in a shop though (side quest)
Colony 6 reconstruction related and those annoying shops open for like 2 hours of the day sell them.
(condition)
IIRC lervel 5 commerce/business opened up the shop that sells most the missing ones.

MicH

Starwolf_UK said:
You didn't miss them but you can buy those intermediate manuals in a shop though (side quest)
Colony 6 reconstruction related and those annoying shops open for like 2 hours of the day sell them.
(condition)
IIRC lervel 5 commerce/business opened up the shop that sells most the missing ones.
Urgh, that's super annoying. Oh well. Thanks!

Kjellson

Finished it a while ago. I wouldn't lie if I said that this game is the greatest JRPG of all time. Fantastic.

I'll start NG+ tomorrow.

Gvaz said:
You guys are absurd.

Some of the location names should be spoilered but not all of them.

Some guy was spoiler tagging the name of fucking mario galaxy levels in another thread, I'm like really?

It still doesn't change the fact the game itself shows you the locations if you leave it on the main menu. You'll see pretty much all the major locations.

I'm sure you didn't have any bad intentions. But just be careful next time and don't post pics of any areas, especially late game ones. And it's not absurd as someone mentioned, in a game all about exploration, to want to have every area be a surprise. I'm 45 hours in and I had no idea that second pic you posted was an area in the game, it would have definitely surprised me.

And that's PRECISELY why I do not watch the main menu video. The second I saw that it started touring me around the world I skipped immediately and began playing. I knew it would spoil the locations. There's no better feeling in Xenoblade than discovering new areas.

Gvaz

Banned
I think the exploring the new areas is the fun part, less knowing there's going to be fun parts. Of course there's going to be fun zones, for me actually exploring it is the fun part not knowing there will be because that's to be expected.

But I wasn't meaning it to make people upset but more like "look it's a cool thing!"

I improved my dolphin speed by going to a newer Git build and by putting EFB to texture instead of ram, but it corrupts the save game picture. Some people care about that I guess but it doesn't corrupt the save game, I don't give a shit. Never going below 30fps ever > some dumb little screenshot.

ElTopo said:
You'll get there, but it's 'only' three areas (or technically four I guess), though one of them has maybe the best song in the game. There's also a few quests to do and plenty of unique monsters, so definitely not small, but of course nowhere near the size of Bionis.

I wouldn't call it the second part of the game though for various reasons and definitely not length-wise, as the game has e.g. a huge endgame section. I'd say maybe 20 hours on Mechonis ? I'd say it's less than Makna Forest + Satori Marsh + Eryth Sea and a much more linear.

Hopefully this wasn't too much of a spoiler.

nope, thanks, you carefully avoided the spoilerish parts and told me exactly what I wanted to know :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MetatronM said:
That's the 30 fps patch.

Hm. How the hell did I read that wrong? I checked it through the log thingy, I could've swore it was at 60. Then again, I suck at this stuff, so meh. I tried to help!

Im at level 51 and just finished
Valak. Is that overpowered, underpowered or right where I should be? There was a pretty dismal amount of sides in Valak when I went through and Im anal as hell.

JumpingTheGun said:
Im at level 51 and just finished
Valak. Is that overpowered, underpowered or right where I should be? There was a pretty dismal amount of sides in Valak when I went through and Im anal as hell.
I think I was lower at the time, but I was under most areas of the game.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
Quick question in terms of story progression -

Just finished up the Prison Island scenes, with unshackling the Monado's power etc.

About how far in terms of percentage am I through? I don't want it to end!

Hate to shit up the thread but did anyone's Zavvi copy arrive?

Today is judgement day..I'll probably get a refund and just buy Deus Ex and wait until later for this.

Gvaz

Banned
Universaldamps said:
Quick question in terms of story progression -

Just finished up the Prison Island scenes, with unshackling the Monado's power etc.

About how far in terms of percentage am I through? I don't want it to end!
Like half done.

Knux-Future said:

Today is judgement day..I'll probably get a refund and just buy Deus Ex and wait until later for this.
Mine arrived about two weeks after their ship time. Unless you mean out of the people still waiting. :-(

Gvaz

Banned
Oh hey Temporal Gawain, lets farm you for skillbooks! I'm about 66 and you're 65, its cool!

*runs up with
sharla/dunban/melia

Sharla
like a dumbass aggros one of the
mass produced mechon
in the area....which aggro's the patrol, which later aggros ANOTHER
mass produced mechon

the AoE attacks kept making them attack
melia
and I was using chain attacks pretty much every time they were up to throw down some topples and stuff (though she's not great on chain attacks unless you save up beforehand)

Damn it felt good killing a unique 65 along with 3 other low 60's mobs with a lvl66 party though!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So I FINALLY edited the short story to reflect the English localization.

http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/2010/12/xenobade-episode-at-home.html

This is an official short story (so not just my personal fanfiction, hah.) It occurs DURING the game at a very late point. At about the 90-95% point (if we're just talking story. Spoilers for that point:
It occurs after they get back from the Mechonis, but before they go into the interior of the Bionis.
) So unless you are late game/complete, you might want to avoid reading it.

It's a first draft so it sounds a little awkward. I thought about going through and rewriting it, but I'm just not in the mood for that today. Perhaps another day. At least this will be an easier read for those playing the English version. And if you see something that is wrong, please tell me. I'd like to know :/

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gvaz said:
Oh hey Temporal Gawain, lets farm you for skillbooks! I'm about 66 and you're 65, its cool!

*runs up with
sharla/dunban/melia

Sharla
like a dumbass aggros one of the
mass produced mechon
in the area....which aggro's the patrol, which later aggros ANOTHER
mass produced mechon

the AoE attacks kept making them attack
melia
and I was using chain attacks pretty much every time they were up to throw down some topples and stuff (though she's not great on chain attacks unless you save up beforehand)

Damn it felt good killing a unique 65 along with 3 other low 60's mobs with a lvl66 party though!

Bah, try fighting against numerous level 75-78 enemies when your party members are still hovering 72-73.

If not for
Melia
, I am not sure I would be able to win. <3 her.

Knux-Future said:

I got a refund and ordered again from Amazon.it.

Estimated delivery is 9/23. Awww yeah.

whenever i think it can't get any more eyecandy'ish the game teaches me some lessons.

50hours-in spoiler
Erith Sea and the High entian town are just...wow...WOW...I'm at loss of words. This looks way better in some areas than some "high-budget" ps3/xbox360 games. The art is phenomenal. It's like they unlocked a third gamecube.

anyone else thought of the Skytown in Metroid Prime 3 when looking at
floating platforms on Erith sea?
. I really think that MP3 world was an inspiration to the xenoblade devs.

also I can't be the only one who got a LOTR elves-vibe from the
High Entian folks

Leeness

You guys, I'm having a ~moral dilemma~.

I just got the 4th party member a little bit ago and they're all super cool and what not but... Then I'd have to kick Reyn out. I just don't know if I can do that, him being my best friend and all :(

I had 4th member in my party for a bit but it made me sad not to hear I'M POWERING UP and all of Reyn's encouragement for Shulk. :(

Deep video game thoughts...

Also, Satorl Marsh at night is beautifuuuuuuuuul.

Even though it's a rather ugly game technically (muddy textures, dithering, jaggies being the most notable), the moment you
exit out of the cave and see Mechonis in the starry sky in front of you
received a genuine wow from me.

And, really, the fact that it's rather ugly is probably largely why the scale is so huge, pop-in is minimal and everything is so dynamic and alive. Had it required HD assets, it likely wouldn't have been nearly as good as it is.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
_Alkaline_ said:
And, really, the fact that it's rather ugly is probably largely why the scale is so huge, pop-in is minimal and everything is so dynamic and alive. Had it required HD assets, it likely wouldn't have been nearly as good as it is.

I assume this game will be much, much, and I do mean MUCH more expensive to make if its based on HD assets... the kind of cost that I don't think a studio like Monolith will be able to handle. Maybe Square or any other bigwigs, but even then I don't think they will be interested in making a game like this.

Ironically, it is simply because that Wii exists that this game is possible to exist... that's just how I see it.

Dascu said:
The Telethia in Alcamoth are in the level 85-90 region. I think the new area in Tephra Cave has enemies around level 90 too.
I've been grinding there since level 78 last night. Just found the right group of
Telethia
at level 85 which was yellow and went from there, heh.

Finally finished it last night after the last boss glitched out on me :/

Was all good bar a few niggles that let it down slightly. Thoroughly enjoyed it throughout. Really great RPG that's one of the best ever and definitely worth keeping/buying a Wii for. If I'd had the time it would have been great to do a NG+ but the busy period is coming up so I'll leave it there.

Put in 89hrs and leveled up to 83. Was a fair bit overpowered so none of the bosses proved a challenge to me but wouldn't have minded taking on some of the higher level unique monsters.

MicH

RPGCrazied said:
So I just got to Satorl Marsh. About how far am I?

Also, when can you start gem crafting in the menu?
You're still not that far in, you have a long way to go :p

The mobile furnace will be available when
you have restored Colony 9 to level 1. The gem craft man gives out the quest for it

Zwei

UltimateIke said:
I got a refund and ordered again from Amazon.it.

Estimated delivery is 9/23. Awww yeah.

I am intrigued by this Amazon Italy thing. I just might secure myself a second copy from there since it's impossible to find anywhere else.

Ledsen

RPGCrazied said:
So I just got to Satorl Marsh. About how far am I?

Also, when can you start gem crafting in the menu?

About 1/4 in I'd say. You need to do a sidequest with the Gem Man in Colony 9 to get menu crafting.

RPGCrazied

How do I start that quest? Is it the key quest? Still can't find that.

Also, whats the fastest way to raise affinity? A lot of heart to hearts I can't view.

RPGCrazied said:
How do I start that quest? Is it the key quest? Still can't find that.

Also, whats the fastest way to raise affinity? A lot of heart to hearts I can't view.

The best ways to raise affinity is either by using the partners with you in battle, also you score affinity points with them after you complete most sidequests. In addition, affinity points can be raised by giving items as "presents" between two characters. The items you can give are all of the blue orbs you find in the world i.e. Lemonade Sky, Sour Grapes, etc. They all have different reactions to the characters. When you select the item in your item screen, a box will pop up asking if you want to use it or or use it as a present. You can then choose which character gives and receives.

edit: just try not to gift the items with the orange or white exclamation points next to them.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
JumpingTheGun said:
The best ways to raise affinity is either by using the partners with you in battle, also you score affinity points with them after you complete most sidequests. In addition, affinity points can be raised by giving items as "presents" between two characters. The items you can give are all of the blue orbs you find in the world i.e. Lemonade Sky, Sour Grapes, etc. They all have different reactions to the characters. When you select the item in your item screen, a box will pop up asking if you want to use it or or use it as a present. You can then choose which character gives and receives.

edit: just try not to gift the items with the orange or white exclamation points next to them.
woooo mind blown! I have hundreds of those blue things, will start gifting and doing H2H as soon as possible (and finish the stupid Paola and Narine Quest...)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm at level 70, about to head into
the mechonis core, for the first time
; is there any endgame stuff I should be doing besides skill trees and colony 6?

Yuterald

82 hours in, levels around 62. No RPG is going to top this game until Legend of Heroes: SC comes out in NA, for me anyway. I just got to the
Mechonis Field
and the music is amazing, like Phantasy Star Online amazing! Shit is getting so real at this point in the story.

There is a particular sensation I feel when playing RPGs like this, but it's difficult to describe. When you are playing a really, really good, lengthy RPG there are moments in the game where you say to yourself, "this is so getting there" or "this is it!". When I arrived at this particular dungeon, combined with the music that plays, I was overwhelmed with that sensation. It's a sensation that few RPGs provide, but Xenoblade 'gets it'.

Dascu

pelicansurf said:
I'm at level 70, about to head into
the mechonis core, for the first time
; is there any endgame stuff I should be doing besides skill trees and colony 6?
Finish up any quests you have in Alcamoth.

Ydahs

So I'm level 28 and I'm at the point where
Dickson, Juju and the old man
have left my party. Do you guys think this is over levelled?

I spent a lot of time in the Plains, but not much in the areas following it out of fear of over levelling, yet I'm still defeating bosses and enemies quite easily.

Also, would you recommend not using
Reyn and Dunban along with Shulk
? None can heal like
Sharla
but they can take out a mob pretty quickly. Though against a boss, they'll be taken out fairly easier from the lack of healing.

17 hours in. Superb game. Still feel like I'm at the beginning. Story has me engaged :)

RPGCrazied

Am I missing something? How do you get into colony 6? By story? Cause if so I have yet to get into it. Though I'm mainly doing quests right now.

Ydahs

Gvaz said:
You are still at the beginning, ahahaha
I know, which is scary since I'm probably end up eclipsing 90 hours of game play. Don't think I've ever done that for an RPG, but this RPG demands exploration, kind of like FFXII.

Ydahs said:
I know, which is scary since I'm probably end up eclipsing 90 hours of game play. Don't think I've ever done that for an RPG, but this RPG demands exploration, kind of like FFXII.
I've crossed the 100 hour barrier and am doing lots of near end-game stuff. Some people have gone longer here and have only reached the halfway mark. Nuts, I tell you.

I will say though gem creation can really eat up a lot of fucking time.

Datschge

Laughing Banana said:
I assume this game will be much, much, and I do mean MUCH more expensive to make if its based on HD assets... the kind of cost that I don't think a studio like Monolith will be able to handle. Maybe Square or any other bigwigs, but even then I don't think they will be interested in making a game like this.

Ironically, it is simply because that Wii exists that this game is possible to exist... that's just how I see it.
I'll be the odd one and say Xenoblade looks perfectly fine in high resolutions in Dolphin, I don't primarily need those HD assets as long as the art direction is fine. (Also procedurally generated landscapes need to be used way more often in HD games.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ydahs said:

I don't know if it 'demands it'. It feels completely optional to me, which is great. If you're obsessive like me, you'll map out areas and try to complete as many side quest as possible without going insane. But if you just wanted to blow through the story in a fraction of the time it would take you to 100% the game, the option is available to you.

Ydahs

EvilMario said:
I don't know if it 'demands it'. It feels completely optional to me, which is great. If you're obsessive like me, you'll map out areas and try to complete as many side quest as possible without going insane. But if you just wanted to blow through the story in a fraction of the time it would take you to 100% the game, the option is available to you.
Didn't really mean it that way. Just meant that I personally just can't run through an area. I mean, I can, but I can't! The notion of finding a small hidden cave or a monster which will wipe me out with one blow entices me to explore since I know I'll find something. Finding items plays a part and so do quests, but the desire of wanting to explore is hard to achieve in a game and this game nails it. I won't feel satisfied unless I do some exploration, so therefore I demand myself to look around. Having the game alter at different periods of the day is also an amazing concept. I'm sure many feel the same way.

Most JRPGs lack this concept of having an open and explorable world. Only two RPGs that I've played have achieved this: this and FFXII. Any other JRPGs like this? Because I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

Monolith Soft needs to create a new game, similar to this on the Wii U. Will buy it in an instance. If not, they should develop a new entry in one of my favourite series: Baten Kaitos (which is the opposite to this in many ways). As long as they remain creating RPGs, I'll be happy.

Top Bottom