• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Big One

Banned
Ydahs said:
Most JRPGs lack this concept of having an open and explorable world. Only two RPGs that I've played have achieved this: this and FFXII. Any other JRPGs like this? Because I'll buy them in a heartbeat.
Pretty much any Dragon Quest game, especially DQ8.

Big One said:
The truth, though 3, 5, and 7 also have big and wonderful worlds to explore. 8 can get a bit barren at times.

Also, play Skies of Arcadia. You'd like it.

Ydahs

Big One said:
Well damn. I have DQ8, but it remains unplayed :(

Even though I was thinking more action JRPGs, I guess I'll give it a shot sometime this holiday season.
SecretMoblin said:
The truth, though 3, 5, and 7 also have big and wonderful worlds to explore. 8 can get a bit barren at times.

Also, play Skies of Arcadia. You'd like it.
That I will have to buy for the Gamecube.

mclem

Gvaz said:
Put it this way:

People have reported skipping all the sidequests and the game still took them 50-60 hours

so....

I'm now wondering what a speedrun could manage. There's lots of scope for experimentation (grab quests you know are in the areas you're heading to ASAP to gain quick levels? Fashion Quick Step gems as soon as they become available?).

The higher level you are, the less random fighting you'll need to do, so is it better to level then run through the story content or run through the story content, fighting and levelling as you go?

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah that area is pretty bland with somewhat linear level design.

So I'm gallivanting around in
Central Factory
There's one area ahead of that, but how many more zones do I have after that?

RPGCrazied said:
I'm 22 hours and just opened up colony 6.
At this pace, you'll probably pass me in 4 or 5 days. o_O

And I might have missed a timed quest earlier on, so I'm planning to do a 100% clear on my New Game +. This game will last me forever, and I love it that way.

Also, someone was testing out a PS2 emulator on the NeoGAF Tinychat last night, and he was playing FFXII. I couldn't help myself and started a new save file. So now I'm neck-deep in RPG excellence.

RPGCrazied

I'm trying not to rush. Doing every quest. My guys are around 31. Some quests I can't figure out. Like the guy that
lost his key in
colony 9. I got a lot left right? I still don't have the other remaining characters.

Where/when does the quest start for gem crafting in the menu?

Yuterald

RPGCrazied said:
I'm trying not to rush. Doing every quest. My guys are around 31. Some quests I can't figure out. Like the guy that
lost his key in
colony 9. I got a lot left right? I still don't have the other remaining characters.

Where/when does the quest start for gem crafting in the menu?

You have no clue how much you have left, lol! I'm 83 hours in now and I am still not up to the final area. I've been playing slowly too, completing all quests before moving on, and exploring thoroughly. If you keep playing at that pace your first playthrough will most likely last 100+ hours.

I think the 'gem craft anywhere' option becomes available in the next major town, without spoiling anything. I could be wrong, but it's a quest in itself. Someone will give you an item and you need to bring it back to the crafting guy in Colony 9.

Hiltz

Level 56
116 hours

I finished a handful of sidequests, unlocked
Melia's 4th skill tree, increased affinity to maximum level between all characters except for Rikki, and upgraded Colony 6 to level 3. Also explored what appears to be the most of Valak Mountains (I haven't actually moved on to with the main quest yet). That slippery ice cave was pretty fun. Oh, I need to finish 3 blue orb item Monado visions by going back to npc characters Kaleka, Razket, and Olyeski.

Dunban's
skill tree is almost finished with the skill that let's him gain more agility without any armor on. When it is complete, do I just take off all the armor and he just gains the extra agility? Currently, his agility is 181.

Hiltz said:
Level 56
116 hours

I finished a handful of sidequests, unlocked
Melia's 4th skill tree, increased affinity to maximum level between all characters except for Rikki, and upgraded Colony 6 to level 3. Also explored what appears to be the most of Valak Mountains (I haven't actually moved on to with the main quest yet). That slippery ice cave was pretty fun. Oh, I need to finish 3 blue orb item Monado visions by going back to npc characters Kaleka, Razket, and Olyeski.

Dunban's
skill tree is almost finished with the skill that let's him gain more agility without any armor on. When it is complete, do I just take off all the armor and he just gains the extra agility? Currently, his agility is 181.
Regarding that last part:
I had always just assumed the naked Dunban strategy was best when you first get him. Later on - about where you are - you should be able to link skills to get him light or medium armor. With agility gems, you still get a Dunban with huge agility plus the benefits of the armor.

So I just started this game and I had high hopes for the OST considering my two favourite composers in Mitsuda and Shimomura worked on this and it has not disappointed so far. The intro music and the colony 9 overworld theme are amazing. Is the entire OST this audiogasmic?

Man.. back to this problem.

No matter what setting on this TV through component (Force NTSC, Force Pal60, or none), I can't get the damn thing to display in 480p for the life of me. It just says video mode note supported.. But I can tell the game is running in the background. Had this problem on my pal's HDTV as well. My Sharp in the main room, while it doesn't actually say it's 480p, doesn't reset the screen and alert me it's 480i either. Been playing on a CRT so moot point, but now I'm not. :-(

Anyone else having these kind of problems? Don't quote my tag, it's plugged in and runs 480p in the menus.

lucablight said:
So I just started this game and I had high hopes for the OST considering my two favourite composers in Mitsuda and Shimomura worked on this and it has not disappointed so far. The intro music and the colony 9 overworld theme are amazing. Is the entire OST this audiogasmic?

Just about the whole deal is awesome. I had no idea Shimomura was on the track, but once you're in battle it's as plain as day. This OST is a breakout hit with me.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Can the game get ripped into a SD card to get it moved over to my PC/Dolphin? How much space would I need?

Bout 6.5 gigs. It's a big game, you should probably use a hard drive instead.

This topic makes me want to play again so bad...I'm still kicking myself for saving my clear game OVER my endgame save, even with all the endgame equipment XB is not exactly a "blow through" kind of game.

MicH

The OST is one of the best I've ever heard. It's so good! Take a listen to "Engage the Enemy". One of the best tracks in the game!

Hiltz

SecretMoblin said:
Regarding that last part:
I had always just assumed the naked Dunban strategy was best when you first get him. Later on - about where you are - you should be able to link skills to get him light or medium armor. With agility gems, you still get a Dunban with huge agility plus the benefits of the armor.

Thanks for the tip. Currently, I have him equipped with two Aggro Up gems and the rest being Agility gems and using the Night Sickle weapon. I also gave him a skill tree link from Sharla to increase his agility more. I assume the agility stat highlighted in a green color on the bottom of his character sheet represents the skill tree link I had Sharla give to him. Although, I noticed that if I try to equip him with any more agility gems (even ones higher in rank) it won't increase his agility stat any more. Lastly, He learned that skill tree ability to reduce the weight of armor. I think he is using a mix of light and medium armor if I remember correctly.

Let me in

Late game spoiler/quest question:
On Fallen Arm I have a quest called "For My Loved One..." asking me to get a "Tear of the Sky" from the Distant Fingertip.

I don't know where the distant fingertip is! I have digits one through five on my map. Maybe I haven't gone far enough?

Oxx

So. Many. Quests.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I'm going back and doing old quests. The XP and item rewards just aren't worth it. The same completionist urge that struck me during DQ9 is at work again.

Life would be a lot easier if quest-givers and key items were present on the map 100% of the time and not just when you move within the vicinity of them.

Haunted

Let me in said:
Late game spoiler/quest question:
On Fallen Arm I have a quest called "For My Loved One..." asking me to get a "Tear of the Sky" from the Distant Fingertip.

I don't know where the distant fingertip is! I have digits one through five on my map. Maybe I haven't gone far enough?
Climb digit 2. Great view.

Late game spoiler:
Fallen Arm isn't actually late game at all. :eek:

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
lucablight said:

Yeah, it is. Something that surprised me quite a bit: Mitsuda only composed the ending theme, ACE+ and Manami Kiyota are responsible for at least 3/4th of the OST. And yet it sounds so similar to Chrono Cross. :lol

Gvaz

Banned
Lord Ghirahim said:
One of the Japanese strategy guides spoils all playable characters on the cover. I wonder why MLSI approved it.
Because only the last character is a spoiler

Also the xenoblade box art has all the playable characters on the cover as well.

Let me in

Haunted said:
Climb digit 2. Great view.

Late game spoiler:
Fallen Arm isn't actually late game at all. :eek:
Trying to be safe rather than sorry ;) By the time I had gotten there it had already been about 50 hours.

Thanks for the tip.

MicH said:
The OST is one of the best I've ever heard. It's so good! Take a listen to "Engage the Enemy". One of the best tracks in the game!

Which track plays on
Mechonis Field
? If its "Field of the Machinae" Ill go nuts. Ive been blasting it in my car for weeks.

Gvaz

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Which track plays on
Mechonis Field
? If its "Field of the Machinae" Ill go nuts. Ive been blasting it in my car for weeks.

I think that one is the uh...unique battle music in that zone? Not 100% sure atm

JumpingTheGun said:
Which track plays on
Mechonis Field

The battle theme? It's Mechanical Rhythm. Field theme is Field of the Machinae.

JumpingTheGun said:
Which track plays on
Mechonis Field

"Field of the Machinea
is right. Love that track.. Rushes in ten year old nostalgia of PSO..

Oxx said:
Am I crazy for not listening to parts of the soundtrack album that I haven't reached in-game?
I wouldn't say so. In games like these that's one of my greater joys, listening as the tracks were designed or at least placed.

Aeana

Oxx said:
Am I crazy for not listening to parts of the soundtrack album that I haven't reached in-game?
I would assume most people would rather hear a piece of music in context first. I seems perfectly normal to me, and I am the same way. I do not understand listening to a soundtrack for a movie, game or otherwise before hearing the music in the context it was composed for first.

wrowa

Oxx said:
Nah, the people who are crazy are the ones who listened to the ending song before having finished the game.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
"Field of the Machinea
is right. Love that track.. Rushes in ten year old nostalgia of PSO..

tumblr_lmdvdhqUtU1qaiwdo.gif

Oxx

Gvaz said:
Spoiler paranoia reaching critical mass. Abort! Abort!

Man, what a bunch of spoilers.

It is a little bit weird. I've shrugged-off character, story, and location spoilers, but I'm keeping 1/3 of the soundtrack off limits!

Gvaz

Banned
[1] If Ether Drain is not obtained here, the only other unique monster that drops is a one time only quest mob (that also has its own exclusive art book)

PqOj6.gif

lucablight said:
Hah, so Shimomura worked on this after all? I've currently made it as far as Makna Forest and am currently doing a couple quests and a couple tracks in the game made me think "this sounds like something Yoko Shimomura would come up with, too bad she didn't actually do the music for the game". Guess that's what it's like to be pleasantly surprised.

On another note, I wasn't expecting
rebuilding Colony 6
to be this engaging and fun. I used to think "Well, this is great and all, but it's no Chrono Trigger" but I might just change my mind.

Lately as Ive been playing Ill just blurt out in my Cousin Eddie from Vacation voice: "Clark, its the gift that keeps on givin the whooole year."

Because Xenoblade just keeps on giving throughout the whoooole game, just like the Jelly of the Month Club.

magicalsoundshower said:
Hah, so Shimomura worked on this after all? I've currently made it as far as Makna Forest and am currently doing a couple quests and a couple tracks in the game made me think "this sounds like something Yoko Shimomura would come up with, too bad she didn't actually do the music for the game". Guess that's what it's like to be pleasantly surprised.
Indeed indeed. Pleasant surprise after all!

Question for those at the end of the game :

I'm in the lung again, where is my "final" point of no return? I see I can still head back at the moment.

As a side and unrelated note, no one seriously has any advice regarding 480p?

Gvaz

Banned
I savescummed the chest for Vague Barbas about a hundred times and he definitely only drops Play Dead. That guide says he drops other things but I never saw another skillbook.

KarmaCow

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Indeed indeed. Pleasant surprise after all!

Question for those at the end of the game :

I'm in the lung again, where is my "final" point of no return? I see I can still head back at the moment.

You'll know it when you reach it. The game makes it very clear and gives you a choice to keep going or not.

RPGCrazied

So I decided to further the story a little bit. Inside the Bionis, there is stuff for the collectiapedia, but I don't see one blue orb in here.

Top Bottom