• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Octagon

I recently started playing this game and you guys are right it is good.
Didn't even expect it to be that good.
Plus i like the voice acting a lot.
I had feared that it would be like DQ8s which i loathed but luckily this not the case.

Octagon said:
I recently started playing this game and you guys are right it is good.
Didn't even expect it to be that good.
Plus i like the voice acting a lot.
I had feared that it would be like DQ8s which i loathed but luckily this not the case.
But... but... ah, I'll let it be.

--

After being extremely overleveled for most of the game - thanks to a neat leveling pathway I found early on - I finally got to the point where enemies were beating me again, largely thanks to spike damage and status effects. So now I'm back on the grind, fighting those lvl. 70 fish in Colony 9 before I finish
the Central Factory
. I figure if I can get myself to the low 70s, I can fight the monsters in the Windy Cave until I'm able to fight the Hoxes near Raguel Bridge, and then most of the rest of the big monsters I saw earlier should be able to be taken down. I'm looking in particular to beat up a few uniques responsible for previous deaths.

weeaboo

lvl 80, 88 hours and finally the game is over.

I loved pretty much everything. My only complain is, where the hell is Soraya Saga? The story is good, epic and full of awesome twists but I missed the usual complex scenario from the other Xeno titles.

Wiseblade said:
So, I just bought this game and I can't decide if the dub is terrible or amazing.

I kept swapping back and forth between the Dub and Original but ended up sticking with the japanese voice overs.

I guess the only thing that the dub has over it is for comedic value and I was just laughing at how cheesy it sounded.

Hiltz

I think the voice acting is fine. However, the lip syncing and dialogue could use some work.

How many times does Shulk have a vision only to tell the party that he didn't have one ? Then as the rest of the characters begin to walk away, Shulk tells them to wait and one of the characters says that he did have a vision, then Shulk confesses the truth.Then a short cut scene happens again after you move forward a bit in the game. Shulk starts rambling on again about how he's gonna save everyone and get his revenge on the Mechons. Then Reyne says "Right, let's go!" and then the cut scene ends. Why was it necessary to separate this into two cut scenes? Even better, why even repeat the same old dialogue we hear in every area more than two times ? Shulk, the party knows why the hell they're on the quest with you.So stop reminding them and stop being a douche bag with the visions! Just spit it out already.

Gvaz

Banned
Hiltz said:
I think the voice acting is fine. However, the lip syncing and dialogue could use some work.

How many times does Shulk have a vision only to tell the party that he didn't have one ? Then as the rest of the characters begin to walk away, Shulk tells them to wait and one of the characters says that he did have a vision, then Shulk confesses the truth.

Then a short cut scene happens again after you move forward a bit in the game. Shulk starts rambling on again about how he's gonna save everyone and get his revenge on the Mechons. Then Reyne says "Right, let's go!" and then the cut scene ends. Why was it necessary to separate this into two cut scenes? Even better, why even repeat the same old dialogue we hear in every area more than two times ?
It's because Shulk is not a hero character. It could have been handled better but it shows he's not infallible.

Also the dub is way better than the japanese barring a few VAs

jgwhiteus said:
EDIT: Oh, separate question. Are there some Arts where the mid-level books just aren't sold in shops? I tried revisiting every shop in the game to see if I'd missed something or they'd updated their inventory, and I did find some new books, and - spoiler for around lv. 70+ -
the two merchants on the Junks after you clear the Core also had new books
but some characters are still missing their mid-level Arts. Also - major spoiler for those who haven't reached Fallen Arm yet (lv. 55+?) -
where do you get Fiora's mid-level Arts books? I have some of her Arts at advanced from monster drops, but everything else is maxed out at 4.
I can't remember clearly, but have you tried
returning to the hidden village later on? I *think* they add an extra shop (there's 2 shops next to eachother right now and I only remember seeing one, could be I just missed it). Also, have you checked all the shops created after reaching the final Merchant level in Colony 6 (some shops only open at day/night)?

Otherwise... I guess you don't really need the mid-level Arts book, since using the highest-level books maxes out the level cap anyway.

Dragon

Banned
Hiltz said:

How many times does Shulk have a vision only to tell the party that he didn't have one ? Then as the rest of the characters begin to walk away, Shulk tells them to wait and one of the characters says that he did have a vision, then Shulk confesses the truth.Then a short cut scene happens again after you move forward a bit in the game. Shulk starts rambling on again about how he's gonna save everyone and get his revenge on the Mechons. Then Reyne says "Right, let's go!" and then the cut scene ends. Why was it necessary to separate this into two cut scenes? Even better, why even repeat the same old dialogue we hear in every area more than two times ? Shulk, the party knows why the hell they're on the quest with you.So stop reminding them and stop being a douche bag with the visions! Just spit it out already.

Honestly the way they separated some cut scenes struck me as strange too. Almost as if maybe there was a technical reason they did that since it was just jarring and contradictory.

Carlisle

Anyone else still waiting on their Zavvi/The Hut orders? It's been 77 days since I put my preorder in, and 37 days since it "despatched." 5 days ago I sent a message through the message center, another one last night, and one again this morning, none with any response.

Is this your first time posting in a new game thread Wiseblade? You really should put spoiler tags around that kind of stuff from now on.

I already finished the game, but if I hadn't before making this post, I would be pissed.

Herp derp at Zavvi. I cancelled my order from them but they shipped it anyway. Now I'll get two copies - one from Zavvi and one from Shopto.

Not sure if I'll sell or return my Zavvi copy.

Nooo, I got killed by
that Level 105 Mechon. I was doing so well, only a quarter of its HP left to deplete, until it brought up a red aura and then I started taking heavy damage. I used Purge when I noticed the aura, but I missed the hit. Second time I accidentally slipped and cast Enchant instead of Purge, then I died >___<

Gvaz

Banned
Aveyn Knight said:
Nooo, I got killed by
that Level 105 Mechon. I was doing so well, only a quarter of its HP left to deplete, until it brought up a red aura and then I started taking heavy damage. I used Purge when I noticed the aura, but I missed the hit. Second time I accidentally slipped and cast Enchant instead of Purge, then I died >___<
Stop using shulk as your main, the AI is pretty good with auras

MechaX

I'm about 35 hours in and I just got past the events at Prison Island.

Holy shit. How far in the game am I, because it seems like things are just heating up.

Also, some speculation:
I had suspicions that Metal Face is that claw dude Dunban was with in the beginning of the game since the very first Mechon attack (the way he kinda just stared at Dunban for about 5-10 seconds was kind of a give away). Now I'm calling it for sure.

RPGCrazied

MechaX said:
I'm about 32 hours in and I just got past the events at Prison Island.

Holy shit. How far in the game am I, because it seems like things are just heating up.

Also, some speculation:
I had suspicions that Metal Face is that claw dude Dunban was with in the beginning of the game since the very first Mechon attack (the way he kinda just stared at Dunban for about 5-10 seconds was kind of a give away). Now I'm calling it for sure.

I just did all that, but I have 20 more hours. Been doing every quest. And yeah
I think its the claw dude at the start of the game too. Does it just have the brain, or is he actually inside it? Who knows. Also, why does fiora seem to be on the mechon's side? I have this feeling the Mechon are not the real eneimes. Even though Metal Face is an asshole.Thats my take.

Gotchaye

Beat it a few days ago in 60 hours at level 80.

I can't make myself main anyone other than Melia for the very high-level enemies. I was level 80 breezing through level 90 mobs thanks to skill-linking her with the last party member's ability which increases your tension when you use a talent art. It gets her to max tension in two casts and then she almost never loses her burst state (although you can die horribly if you get unlucky just before a nasty aura goes off). I haven't noticed a skill which would similarly allow her to get to her burst state very quickly, and I guess such a skill would be crazy powerful on a lot of other characters too.

Plus it seems like her DoTs don't draw aggro, but they still do fantastic damage when you hit the enemy with an empowered earth/freeze combo.

MechaX

RPGCrazied said:
I think its the claw dude at the start of the game too. Does it just have the brain, or is he actually inside it? Who knows. Also, why does fiora seem to be on the mechon's side? I have this feeling the Mechon are not the real eneimes. Even though Metal Face is an asshole.Thats my take.

Just speaking from prior experiences from Takahashi games (possible Xenosaga spoilers):
I'm expecting Alvis to pull a Wilhelm. That talk between Alvis and Zanza makes it seem like they're both going to screw us over in the end.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gvaz said:
...which is what the AI will do anyways though?

They can be slow on the purge. Also controlling shulk allows you to ignore that shit if you want and go with his topple instead. I beat that guy repeatedly for night vision and heat sink mats and usually did it with Shulk, Riki, Dunban.

jgwhiteus

Aveyn Knight said:
I can't remember clearly, but have you tried
returning to the hidden village later on? I *think* they add an extra shop (there's 2 shops next to eachother right now and I only remember seeing one, could be I just missed it). Also, have you checked all the shops created after reaching the final Merchant level in Colony 6 (some shops only open at day/night)?

Otherwise... I guess you don't really need the mid-level Arts book, since using the highest-level books maxes out the level cap anyway.

Thanks - yes, it turned out I'd missed the additional shop there, and they had some of the missing books. At this point only - major spoiler (monsters lv. 55+?) -
Fiora has mid-level books missing, but I haven't upgraded the shops in Colony 6 to level 5 yet, so maybe I'll do that and see if they have the missing books.

Sorry, another question re: Colony 6; late (level 70+) spoilers:
it seems to upgrade the "Special" to level 4, you need materials from monsters in Bionis' Interior. So I'm assuming this couldn't have been done before you completed the Mechonis Core. I fast-traveled there and found I could fight one of the monsters (Largo Selua), but not the other (Wool Selua?) - do I have to head to the endgame dungeon to fight these monsters?

Gotchaye

jgwhiteus said:
Sorry, another question re: Colony 6; late (level 70+) spoilers
You have to fly into the other bit of the Bionis Interior, yes. You can leave at any time and do whatever, though.

Oxx

55 hours in:

I'm growing to enjoy exploring the
Valak Mountains, but it feels like I'm having to constantly adjust the camera with the stick at every turn because of the extreme angles of the ground. I can't see any of the awesome sights with the camera pointed at Shulk's shoes.

Indyana

Anasui Kishibe said:
just finished the long chain in Frontier Village about the
Red Pollen businness

I was like
oa2bnnjpg.gif

I mean, they went there.
A drug cartel??!
...with Nopons??!

that was :-O.........
Now I need to know, where are those merchants?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oxx said:
55 hours in:

I'm growing to enjoy exploring the
Valak Mountains, but it feels like I'm having to constantly adjust the camera with the stick at every turn because of the extreme angles of the ground. I can't see any of the awesome sights with the camera pointed at Shulk's shoes.
Using the classic controller? Remember you can lock the camera with LZ.

Indyana said:
Now I need to know, where are those merchants?
I just did that quest series today, it was awesome.

Out of curiosity, does it matter (for those who have done those quests)
which Nopon you pick as the new manager? I picked Cherri and I'm not sure you get those quests if you pick Gadada or whatever his name is.

Indyana

chaosblade said:
I just did that quest series today, it was awesome.

Out of curiosity, does it matter (for those who have done those quests)
which Nopon you pick as the new manager? I picked Cherri and I'm not sure you get those quests if you pick Gadada or whatever his name is.
Gadada gave me those quests, so...

I need to know where can I get the information about
the nopon merchants.

Indyana said:
Gadada gave me those quests, so...

I need to know where can I get the information about
the nopon merchants.
Did you do all the quests with Daza (the Nopon) around the entrance to Colony 6 (from the Bionis' Leg direction)? I believe you get a secret document from it, which might be what you're looking for.

jgwhiteus said:
Thanks - yes, it turned out I'd missed the additional shop there, and they had some of the missing books. At this point only - major spoiler (monsters lv. 55+?) -
Fiora has mid-level books missing, but I haven't upgraded the shops in Colony 6 to level 5 yet, so maybe I'll do that and see if they have the missing books.
I just checked and there's one shop that opens at a certain time (I changed the clock randomly and found it straightaway) and sells the mid level book for
Final Cross (Level 5 merchant)

wsippel

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Funny thing is, the game actually told you what's happening. And it's not even subtle, it really outright tells you. Many things simply don't seem to make sense until much later in the game. I consider that the best thing about the writing, really. Many things seem weird, some twists even seem to be complete asspulls, but if you were paying attention and think about them, everything actually falls into place. In retrospect. And that's how twists should be.

02pheland

Neo Member
finally got a copy of the game a few hours in and when i saw this topic title it was one of the rare times i actually lol'ed

as far as the story goes i like it but think ive already guess quite a lot of it, the big claws kind of give it away

Indyana

Aveyn Knight said:
Did you do all the quests with Daza (the Nopon) around the entrance to Colony 6 (from the Bionis' Leg direction)? I believe you get a secret document from it, which might be what you're looking for.
Thank you. I had forgotten that Nopon.

Phenomic

RPGCrazied said:
Damn. Seriously? And I have like 52hours on the clock.

Prepare to put on another 50 =D

Seriously I got 90 hours and I about went crazy. I had enough by that point. Side quest fatigue I suppose. Maybe one day I will go back and do all the stuff I didn't finish.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
RPGCrazied said:
Damn. Seriously? And I have like 52hours on the clock.

This is what I've been saying. I'm right where you are now and it's like JESUS this is fun okay but I can't have more than like 10 more hours left in me.

Gvaz

Banned
There's only 15 sidequests in Valak. After that zone there are technically 8 more zones, with one to grow on.

each of the zones have just a few quests, except the third zone after valak, and sidequests pop up right before the 8th zone, so you should complete them then.

Valak is the point in the game where it gets a little bit more linear and the third zone opens up a bit again, but then becomes a bit more linear again.

Hiltz

Lvl 60
Fallen Arm

Is
Fiora a worthwhile character to use in the party? I generally play as Melia with Dunban and Sharla or Shulk.

Top Bottom