• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Just made it
inside the Bionis
. 25 hours.

Right from the beginning I got a slight Okami vibe from this game. As much as I felt Okami fell short in its pacing and dungeon design, it had an incredible atmosphere and a real emphasis on sprinting around vast plains and exploring every corner.

Xenoblade is very different on a mechnical level, but I feel it's rather similar in what I mentioned above. Never did it capture Okami like
Satorl Marsh
, which blew me away once it turned to night-time. It gave me chills, just like Okami's Dragon Palace did half a decade ago.

I also love how the game remains challenging. Xenoblade, thus far anyway, avoids becoming repetitive and too easy because of the fear of unique monsters. This guys will fuck you up and they keep you aware of your surroundings at all times. Crossing the
poison swamp
while avoiding the gaze of the unique monster flying above was a real thrill.

So yeah. Game is kinda good.

LProtag

I made it to that 30 hour fatigue mark. Gotta get back in the groove. I have this problem too much with RPGs. I don't think I'm going to do all the sidequests though, I just can't. Haha.

MicH

Damn, suddenly I'm very underleveled with enemies up to 7 levels higher than me. Fuck.

Lvl 70 spoilers
Inside the Bionis and the fight with the Kallian Telethia. What is the recommended level? I'm level 70 and seem to have no chance. Do I need to level up? What's the best way - fighting the enemies in the area or do some sidequesting?

Thanks!

Gvaz

Banned
MicH said:
Damn, suddenly I'm very underleveled with enemies up to 7 levels higher than me. Fuck.

Lvl 70 spoilers
Inside the Bionis and the fight with the Kallian Telethia. What is the recommended level? I'm level 70 and seem to have no chance. Do I need to level up? What's the best way - fighting the enemies in the area or do some sidequesting?

Thanks!
Do some sidequests for an hour, get to 71 or 72.

Or you can just be pro as hell and kill them as they are now and level up faster (xp scales to the level difference between you and the mob)

MicH

Gvaz said:
Do some sidequests for an hour, get to 71 or 72.

Or you can just be pro as hell and kill them as they are now and level up faster (xp scales to the level difference between you and the mob)
Yeah, I might just walk around killing some monsters. The boss seems impossible as I keep missing because he's 7 levels (or so) higher than me.

RPGCrazied

God. I wish this had a better quest tracker. I literally have 6 or 7 quests that have me going back to an NPC. I have no clue where they are, or what time of day they are.

thefro

RPGCrazied said:
God. I wish this had a better quest tracker. I literally have 6 or 7 quests that have me going back to an NPC. I have no clue where they are, or what time of day they are.

The affinity chart tells you when the NPCs are active (12 hr period) and which area map they're in, but you're right, a better quest tracker would make things much easier.

RPGCrazied

thefro said:
The affinity chart tells you when the NPCs are active (12 hr period) and which area map they're in, but you're right, a better quest tracker would make things much easier.

I'm lame. I didn't know that! That should make it a little easier. Thanks.

Oxx

I hope for a 3DS port/re-release with the bottom-screen allowing you to tab between a full map and quest log at all times.

MicH

The battle with
Lorithia
(LVL 75 SPOILER) is absolutely horrible. FUCK that so much. So many fucking visions all the time, urrrrgh. I am so annoyed at this stupid boss that I can't beat. FUCK.

Oxx said:
I hope for a 3DS port/re-release with the bottom-screen allowing you to tab between a full map and quest log at all times.
I wouldn't want to experience the scope of this game on that tiny 3DS screen, but that exact same setup could work on the Wii U...

wsippel

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
I wouldn't want to experience the scope of this game on that tiny 3DS screen, but that exact same setup could work on the Wii U...
We'll get Xenoblade II (or whatever it'll be called) on Wii U.

wsippel said:
We'll get Xenoblade II (or whatever it'll be called) on Wii U.
I'm not sure how many original Nintendo-owned properties received sequels after not being released in the world's largest market, but I'm sure the number isn't very big.

I'd love to see it, obviously, but I think this game was probably a one-off.

wsippel

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
I'm not sure how many original Nintendo-owned properties received sequels after not being released in the world's largest market, but I'm sure the number isn't very big.

I'd love to see it, obviously, but I think this game was probably a one-off.
The name doesn't really matter. There'll be a new game by Monolith on Wii U, and considering the critical reception and the comments the development team made, it'll be Xenoblade II in all but name. Or maybe they'll even call it "Xenoblade II".

Whoa, had way too much fun with this game. I kept getting sidetracked by quests, which I enjoyed doing, and finally finished the game today at 160ish hours. I still need to beat some of those
Level 100+ bosses
and get all the Heart to Hearts, but I'm more or less finished.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
InsertNameHere said:
I made it to that 30 hour fatigue mark. Gotta get back in the groove. I have this problem too much with RPGs. I don't think I'm going to do all the sidequests though, I just can't. Haha.
I've been doing as many side quests as possible and have felt this way a few times, but it's extremely easy to get back into it just by hitting up the story again. Draws me straight back in so I'll do that for a while and when I hit a "break" point where it slows down a little I'll start up quests again.

RPGCrazied said:
I'm lame. I didn't know that! That should make it a little easier. Thanks.
As long as you're going back to the same NPC that gave you the quest, it tells you what landmark they are by in the quest info. So that should at least get you close enough to see the exclamation point on the map.

Yeah... Just beat (minor area 30hr spoilers)
Prison Island
and this game got a whole lot more Xenogears-Saga-ish.

What? Elly er I mean Fiora is in a robot? And somebody's soul is being reincarnated (transferred) over and over again?

Also, I was wrong in saying Alvis = chaos. Alvis is definitely pretty much
Wilhelm.

It'll be interesting to play one of the most complete TT/Saga stories since Xenogears.

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Affinity chart?

You could always look at the spreadsheet I guess, or write down their location last you saw them.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Also, I was wrong in saying Alvis = chaos. Alvis is definitely pretty much
Wilhelm.
This might be a huge spoiler to those who've played xenosaga but
Alvis is more like if you mixed in Nephalim, UDO and Wilheim together

Wichu

I was walking around Colony 9 looking for quests and raising its affinity, when one NPC mentioned something that made me think OH SNAP.
Major-ish spoiler, I guess? Definitely don't highlight until you have 4 party members; it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the story until much later anyway...
So it turns out Desirée's father,
who supposedly died fighting Mechon, was a hammer-wielding blacksmith named Xord.
I had a moment where I just thought 'that sounds awfully familiar', and then I remembered :O
I'm currently at Alcamoth; I can't wait to find out the connection!

Can someone who ordered from Zavvi help me out?

For the address part there's 4 spaces. I don't get what I'm supposed to put for each space. On the first space I put the number of my house and street. But what spaces do I put my city and state? Also, Postcode = Zip Code right?

kizmah

Frontier Village is so pretty. Just got to Eryth Sea (at about 20 hours playtime) and it's even more beautiful a sight than Gaur Plains. This game keeps on impressing.

MicH said:
The battle with
Lorithia
(LVL 75 SPOILER) is absolutely horrible. FUCK that so much. So many fucking visions all the time, urrrrgh. I am so annoyed at this stupid boss that I can't beat. FUCK.

Whos in your party? Are you using Shulks Monado
Purge in order to seal their Arts beforehand? I havent reached that point yet, but Id suggest using Dunban and Sharla if you arent already. Sharla for sure since shes got the best heal Arts and Dunban for agility purposes

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wichu said:
I was walking around Colony 9 looking for quests and raising its affinity, when one NPC mentioned something that made me think OH SNAP.
Major-ish spoiler, I guess? Definitely don't highlight until you have 4 party members; it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the story until much later anyway...
So it turns out Desirée's father,
who supposedly died fighting Mechon, was a hammer-wielding blacksmith named Xord.
I had a moment where I just thought 'that sounds awfully familiar', and then I remembered :O
I'm currently at Alcamoth; I can't wait to find out the connection!
Yeah, that's a sort-of major spoiler for the point you're at. I wonder if that was in the Japanese version or if it's a bug, because it would make more sense for her to mention that a later.

I say "sort-of" for the same reason I said on the last page, that particular "twist" is heavily hinted at even beyond that specific spoiler. It's hinted at so much that I don't think it was intended to be a surprising revelation, more of a "so that IS what happened" and then surprises you with... something else.

Still, for people who don't know what I'm babbling about, best to wait and see. You might be surprised anyway.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
wsippel said:
The name doesn't really matter. There'll be a new game by Monolith on Wii U, and considering the critical reception and the comments the development team made, it'll be Xenoblade II in all but name. Or maybe they'll even call it "Xenoblade II".
This is true, although if Xenoblade is to be continued, then we should see a remake or up-port of Xeno1 to the Wii U released worldwide, is such a shame that such a great game isn't getting the attention it deserves...

MicH

JumpingTheGun said:
Whos in your party? Are you using Shulks Monado
Purge in order to seal their Arts beforehand? I havent reached that point yet, but Id suggest using Dunban and Sharla if you arent already. Sharla for sure since shes got the best heal Arts and Dunban for agility purposes
I did use those, but the AI is fucking useless. They all seem to loooove that ether river that surronds the battlefield and getting themselves killed. Urgh. That battle is making me hate the game :(

Gvaz

Banned
Bench
sharla
for ever, or make her a damage dealer if you can. She sucks awfully.

The best team is shulk
/dunban/melia
and once I realized how good that group was I never went back. Not even for
riki
who'd be a contender. Everyone else got benched forever.

MicH said:
I did use those, but the AI is fucking useless. They all seem to loooove that ether river that surronds the battlefield and getting themselves killed. Urgh. That battle is making me hate the game :(
If they get too close then direct your party members with like Right trigger or whatever you have it set to, and UP or Down on the D-pad. Up directs them to a target you have selected, and Down tells them to stop attacking and run to you. IDK what left or right does, I never tried.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
MicH said:
I had the same problem when I was doing that quest at (level 40ish monster area)
Valak Mountain where you get the Magma Rock from the dragon thing
. Seems like a minor issue that doesn't come up often, but it's still really annoying to have the AI run out into a dangerous area and get themselves killed by the environment.

If they get too close then direct your party members with like Right trigger or whatever you have it set to, and UP or Down on the D-pad. Up directs them to a target you have selected, and Down tells them to stop attacking and run to you. IDK what left or right does, I never tried.
Really wish I had paid attention and knew that before. Going to have to keep that in mind.

Gvaz

Banned
Yes, when you press Down and the trigger they run to you and just stop attacking and look at you stupidly like "okay what now??" and you have to reassign them a target. I did this for flying mobs so that way if I killed them the chest wouldn't drop out off a cliff and they wouldn't knock me off.

The manual basic AI commands was a godsend in a few instances where I needed to deal with positioning.

I wish the AI was better though. It has problems with priorities and pathing. I wish I could have modified the AI's actions in some way.

I wish there was a monolithsoft dev on neogaf so I could send them a list of improvements and say how much I loved the game :(

Hiltz

That level 52
Mechon in Sword Valley
did not go down easy even after taking him on at level 58 earlier today. Son of a bitch knocked out
Sharla and Melia
two times but fortunately
Dunban
manage to endure the battle without needing to be revived.

MicH

That boss battle is completely unplayable :( The ether rivers, all those god damn elementals and of course the GOD DAMN SLOW DOWN. It is incredible, and I have to push down the A button to select an art up to four times before it registers. I can't do this, fuck it. So close to just watching the ending on youtube.

Go_Ly_Dow

MicH said:
That boss battle is completely unplayable :( The ether rivers, all those god damn elementals and of course the GOD DAMN SLOW DOWN. It is incredible, and I have to push down the A button to select an art up to four times before it registers. I can't do this, fuck it. So close to just watching the ending on youtube.

What's your character levels and party?

Instro

wsippel said:
Although the concept art we have seen looks like a lot like Baten Kaitos stuff.

RPGCrazied

Bel Marduk said:
Can someone who ordered from Zavvi help me out?

For the address part there's 4 spaces. I don't get what I'm supposed to put for each space. On the first space I put the number of my house and street. But what spaces do I put my city and state? Also, Postcode = Zip Code right?

For your sanity, don't order from them. I heard good things about gamestation, and they seem to have it.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/gs/xenoblade-chronicles-139769?pageSize=21&searchTerm=xenoblade

RPGCrazied said:
For your sanity, don't order from them. I heard good things about gamestation, and they seem to have it.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/gs/xenoblade-chronicles-139769?pageSize=21&searchTerm=xenoblade

It's out of stock :p I can wait. I tried ordering from shop to though but registering is retarded from them and I kept getting some stupid "BillState value is too long" and I don't know WTF that means or how to fix it becaue I'm putting in my billing address correctly.

Yeah, and after my credit card issue was resolved, my order seems to be processing through GAME, so you might want to try RPGCrazied's suggestion, or try game.co.uk.

I'm hoping there arent any other issues and the game actually gets shipped.

RPGCrazied

If I ever get my Zavvi copy, or the one from gameseek that was shipped even though I told them to cancel, I will sell it to a gaffer.

Zornica

Banned
MicH said:
Shulk/Dunban/Melia all at level 73. The elementals are bad enough, but the slowdown and ether rivers take the cake :( Got any tips?

first of all: play as melia, put some electric plus gems in your weapon for 100% extra damage, get your summon bolt&wind spells ready, (thunder bolt for damage, wind for agility).
if dunban and shulk go into the acid and start taking damage call them back using the call back command (Z+down on wiimote, something similar on cc)
i heard nuking the nebulas first makes the fight easier, but I dont know if its true because I didn't pay any attention to them. you may wanna try killing them anyway.

remember: this is an endboss fight, it is supposed to be hard :p, but it gets way easier if you gain some extra levels.

MicH

Let me just say one thing: FUCK YEAH I FINALLY BEAT THAT BASTARD! After god knows how many times, everything just fell right into place and I just barely beat it :D YAY!

Thanks everyone for all your help and sorry for me throwing kind of a tantrum :p Feels so good to be done with it :D

OK I just ordered from Zavvi.

FingersCrossed.jpg

Wish me luck. Not in a hurry though.

God I hope my Wii reads the disc.

ramyeon

Okay so I've gone through the game mostly over levelled and with no problems until Sword Valley...
I'm getting slaughtered by Mumkhar and his mob. I'm lv 50 and suddenly all the enemies and bosses have spiked up in terms of level and difficulty. Ugh. None of the quests are giving me much experience either so it seems like I'm gonna just have to grind through Sword Valley a few times now.

Hiltz

Any suggestions for what gems to equip Shulk with? I'm gonna try swapping him out for
Sharla so the team's gonna be Melia as party leader with Shulk and Dunban. I'm currently at Sword Valley near the Ether storage area at level 58.

Hiltz

RPGCrazied said:
Can anyone tell me where I can find Archer Hodes, Chloro Laias, and Lunar Gradys are?

I think Archer Hodes can be found at Showdown Cliff. If not, try Hode Refuge.
Reef 4 at night where the light house is for Chrloro Laias and Lateal Shore for Lunar Gradys.

Top Bottom