• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Ledsen

GC|Simon said:
Question: I'm at the very beginning of the game. I mainly want to finish the story without investing too much time in the game. My spare times is currently unfortunately very limited and I want to finish the game before Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.
My question is: Do I need to do sidequests / level-up in order to beat all the bosses? Or is it possible to "just run through"?

You don't need to, but it'd be a huge shame to miss out on all the extra content and exploration. It's a very big part of the game. Wait until you have more time instead.

aceface

About 15 hours into the game going very slowly (not much time to play every day) but I am loving this game so far.

One of the things I like about the game is how they give you exp for basically everything you do. Discover a new location? Get experience. Complete an achievement? Get experience. Complete a quest? Get experience. I've gotten way more exp for doing this stuff so far than I have for beating monsters. Half the time I can't even figure out why they are giving me experience. It's awesome just running around the map and randomly getting a level up.

Also the Mechon are the best villans ever so far. They just don't give a fuck. (15 hours in spoiler)
They will kick your ass, kill your party members, and verbally berate you the whole time.

Icelight

Anasui Kishibe said:
but I also don't want to finish it because it's the best game I played this year, because I love them characters and the world and everything about it
My thoughts exactly. It's rare that I find a game where I don't just want to get it over and done with by the end.

But Xenoblade...I was doing everything I could to not finish it until the lure of the ending proved to be too strong.

And yeah, the amount of stuff that happens in the later moments of the story is unreal.

Septimius

Can someone enlighten me on the Wii-chuck versus classic controller? About to start the game, and I don't own a classic controller.

I hear that camera control is better with the CCP, but the best counter argument is that you can move and select arts at the same time. I think holding c and then d-pad to move the camera sounds really good. Moving + arts sound like a primary thing to do, and you can't do that with the classic

Septimius said:
Can someone enlighten me on the Wii-chuck versus classic controller? About to start the game, and I don't own a classic controller.

I hear that camera control is better with the CCP, but the best counter argument is that you can move and select arts at the same time. I think holding c and then d-pad to move the camera sounds really good. Moving + arts sound like a primary thing to do, and you can't do that with the classic

The Wii wand controls great, just remember to go into the settings and speed the camera rotation up, because the default setting is real slow

I just went through a whole lot of crazy story stuff, so many twists :O

RPGCrazied

95hours, level 83. FINALLY! Beat the game. :) The ending was sweet. And dat final boss music.

I'll have to play this game once a year, but dunno about new game plus, that seems like it would be WAY to easy.

Wiseblade

What level is the final boss?* I just want to make sure I don't overlevel meself on quests.

*In the case of multiple forms, just post the level of the first.

RPGCrazied

Wiseblade said:
What level is the final boss?* I just want to make sure I don't overlevel meself on quests.

*In the case of multiple forms, just post the level of the first.

it lists at ???

I don't know, at 83, it wasn't to hard. I died once, but easily got back on my feet. 78, my old level, seemed impossible.

2 hours in and HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Story spoilers

I cannot believe they kill Fiora..that takes balls. I mean I knew someone had to get hurt but killed? Oh shit. That little sequence was too good

This game's tutorial/intro sequence is epic.

The actual gameplay hasn't got to me yet (still unsure on what most things do) but the story has really surprised me so far. Shulk might be one of the best jrpg protagonists in a while as long as he doesn't go all emo on me.

Good shit

Wiseblade

Knux-Future said:
2 hours in and HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Story spoilers

I cannot believe they kill Fiora..that takes balls. I mean I knew someone had to get hurt but killed? Oh shit. That little sequence was too good

This game's tutorial/intro sequence is epic.

The actual gameplay hasn't got to me yet (still unsure on what most things do) but the story has really surprised me so far. Shulk might be one of the best jrpg protagonists in a while as long as he doesn't go all emo on me.

Good shit
Just wait, once you flesh out the party with characters who can really vary in playstyle and get the hang of visions and changing the future, battles will become a dream.

Oh god, 29+ hours in and still have barely touched Makna Forest. Every time I complete a quest, like 3 more pop up, seriously. I have 100+ quests, most complete. I'm almost ready to go on though. I've done all the timed ones I can so far. 100% Collectopedia and all Landmarks/map complete so far too save two areas which I know I go back to later in the game.

Clevinger

Man, I wish that arrow thing could be used for sidequests. Can't find these Stone Krabbles supposedly near the fortress entrance for the life of me.

Clevinger said:
Man, I wish that arrow thing could be used for sidequests. Can't find these Stone Krabbles supposedly near the fortress entrance for the life of me.

Agora Shore. All the way East in Colony 9.

bodine1231

Clevinger said:

THIS! It's by far my biggest complaint about this game.

RPGCrazied

I already miss the game. But I have to give it a rest. I didn't even do everything, and only got one perons's 4th skill tree. It will be worth playing again, but I don't see how anyone would want to play the game over at a high level, one shotting bosses. Next time I play, will be a fresh game and with a different set of characters.

I used Reyn/Dunban and Shulk through most of the game. Then I benched him for Sharla late game. Never touched Riki or Melia, will play those next time.

Hi2u

Banned
I have some questions. I put in about 30 hours and just reached the area after marsh and reached the tutorial to spike damage.

What are the party people mostly use during the course of the game? Are there general favourites?

What skills do you guys put on shulk, Reyn and co? Which ones are the best?

Do you mostly just use one character to control? I just use shulk and let the ai deal with the rest as it's a bit too much micro-mangement switching back and forth for me.

Kawl_USC

Finally picked up this bish from the post office on Friday. Once I'm done visiting my girlfriend in Greenville tomorrow I am so pumped to get back to my dorm, mod my wii, and just play this game all day. I have an exam Monday unfortunately, but after that I should be open playing time for a while as I have just had all my midterms. So excited.

Hiltz

Level 77
196 hours
Got to the part where Junks ship goes to Colony 6 and unlocking some 5th tree skills and some a handful of new quests

Wow, this game's story keeps getting crazier. Oh man, and the enemies are so damn evil.

Rave

Neo Member
Haven't played the game for weeks due to lack of time, though I should be able to start playing it again tomorrow. I can't wait.

Hiltz said:
Level 77
196 hours

2822wrp.gif

I don't even

anyway, I've counted 'em. 362 quests done, and more popping up by the minute. What was the total quest number again?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My god, I'm so terrible at this game. I feel like I can't wrap my head around how to do well even 4 hours in, constantly dying in some random cave to some big spider thing. Right when you learn how to predict deaths and turn them around, and even that doesn't make a lot of sense as far as what you're supposed to use.

got a bit further.

Some of the gameplay stuff is still a bit weird to me..as such I am dying an awful lot.

But unlike normal i'm not even mad...even though I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong the way the game handles death is so lax that it is good.

I'm liking the little wrinkle the monado throws at you even though I try to solve it the same way..and die. I really wish I had another healer though.

Also this game has some well crafted cutscenes..and that soundtrack..

holy fuck.

So far beyond good.

2k12 will/might take some time away from it but yeah this was worth it.

fuck you NOA.

34 hours in and reached Frontier Village. Makna Forest exploration was long as hell. Also too bad you don't get anything from swimming to the Great Makna Falls lol...

mattiewheels said:
My god, I'm so terrible at this game. I feel like I can't wrap my head around how to do well even 4 hours in, constantly dying in some random cave to some big spider thing. Right when you learn how to predict deaths and turn them around, and even that doesn't make a lot of sense as far as what you're supposed to use.

You mean that spider boss? When you get a vision, use Shulk's middle art to open the Monado palette and use Monado Shield. Just be smart with your positioning for attacks and you should be fine. As you go along the game, upgrade Monado Shield so you can shield against more attacks.

Just got my Wii set up with homebrew and region free...now to just wait for my prize...for a possible few more weeks...ARGH!

Well, it gives me the chance to finish WKC2 and get some MP time in with it.

CoolS

Mauricio_Magus said:
So I'm 32 hours in... and
Char7 just got into my party, I'm level 53

I'm just assuming that I'm rushing through the game, haha.

I am two areas ahead of you and almost at 80 hours. So yeah I'd say 32 is definitely rushing ^^

polg

so
Makna Forest
is just SO annoying. I've spent most time here gathering blue orbs or killing enemies to get random drops to complete quests. It felt A LOT worse than other areas

Wiseblade

polg said:
so
Makna Forest
is just SO annoying. I've spent most time here gathering blue orbs or killing enemies to get random drops to complete quests. It felt A LOT worse than other areas
Are you nuts? it's one of the best locations in the game.

GC|Simon

8 hours, level 20, near colony 6

I'm not sure if I should go back and do some sidequests (and level up) or if I should go into colony 6 and progress with the story. I wanted to fight that face mechon with level 17 and he was 18. No chance. I need to get stronger since I hate it to get stuck.

Bel Marduk said:
34 hours in and reached Frontier Village. Makna Forest exploration was long as hell. Also too bad you don't get anything from swimming to the Great Makna Falls lol...
I hate to tell you this, but you may need to spend more time swimming around there if you didn't find anything...

Meier

My copy from the Hut supposedly sent out on 9/16.. it hasn't arrived yet. It only took 7 days for Inazuma Eleven to get here after I got the email. I'm worried. :(

Meier said:
My copy from the Hut supposedly sent out on 9/16.. it hasn't arrived yet. It only took 7 days for Inazuma Eleven to get here after I got the email. I'm worried. :(
I'm assuming, since you brought it up, that you ordered Inazuma Eleven from The Hut. Is that the case? Shipping times can vary even when using the same company or service, so you're definitely still within the acceptable shipping window, though you may have a reason to get antsy if you don't see or hear anything near the end of the week.

I hope nothing bad happened, but The Hut definitely deserves its reputation...

polg

Wiseblade said:
Are you nuts? it's one of the best locations in the game.

On the plains it was easy to find everything, now here = nightmare.

I've resourced to trading more often because I can't be bothered.

Also, there's a quest that requires
a hot day
. I've been playing for days, going back to this area, without this event happening. Once it happened, it repeated itself 3 or 4 times in 2 hours of playing. GRRRR...

I might go back to the main storyline, things are getting a bit silly quest-wise.

polg said:
On the plains it was easy to find everything, now here = nightmare.

I've resourced to trading more often because I can't be bothered.

Also, there's a quest that requires
a hot day
. I've been playing for days, going back to this area, without this event happening. Once it happened, it repeated itself 3 or 4 times in 2 hours of playing. GRRRR...

I might go back to the main storyline, things are getting a bit silly quest-wise.
If you change the time between day and night, the weather changes. So you can just go to the watering hole and keep changing the time forward a few hours until it appears. It should take you ten minutes max to get that weather.

ymmv

Banned
My biggest complaint about the game is going up and down Frontier Village dozens of times at different hours to talk to NPCs, find new quests or simply find a character with a red exclamation mark. I don't mind looking for rare enemies in a location because even when I don't find anything, I'll still have fought other enemies and gained EXP, SP and AP. But just going around in circles for side quests, I don't want to know how many hours I've been doing that or I'll get depressed.

SecretMoblin said:
I hate to tell you this, but you may need to spend more time swimming around there if you didn't find anything...

what do you mean? Haven't found anything besides...standing in front of the fall

I'll ask again. What's the total number of quests ?

Anasui Kishibe said:
what do you mean? Haven't found anything besides...standing in front of the fall

I'll ask again. What's the total number of quests ?
There's a red item for a quest under the falls that I think (though I'm not 100% sure) can be obtained without first receiving the quest. It's for the Alcamoth quest that requires you to fetch four "waters".

And I forget the exact number, but it's near 500. 480, maybe? It's important to remember that several quests are exclusive -- doing one locks out the other. So it's impossible to do literally every quest in one playthrough.

SecretMoblin said:
There's a red item for a quest under the falls that I think (though I'm not 100% sure) can be obtained without first receiving the quest. It's for the Alcamoth quest that requires you to fetch four "waters".

And I forget the exact number, but it's near 500. 480, maybe? It's important to remember that several quests are exclusive -- doing one locks out the other. So it's impossible to do literally every quest in one playthrough.

ah yes, i suspected you meant that. I was hoping for some secret place or something because I still haven't completed the damn map :/

Top Bottom