• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Anasui Kishibe said:
ah yes, i suspected you meant that. I was hoping for some secret place or something because I still haven't completed the damn map :/
The one place that prevented me from completing the map in that area was the
tiny cave behind one of the huge brogs near the place where you meet Melia, next to the large pond with the waterfalls.

SecretMoblin said:
The one place that prevented me from completing the map in that area was the
tiny cave behind one of the huge brogs near the place where you meet Melia, next to the large pond with the waterfalls.

got that one, that brog was highly suspicious. I just watched a video on youtube with all the spots. It appears it's the goddamn Repaired Fourth Bridge!

MechaX

Mauricio_Magus said:
So I'm 32 hours in... and
Char7 just got into my party, I'm level 53

I'm just assuming that I'm rushing through the game, haha.

I am so glad you didn't actually name who that character is. I want to be surprised by this.

Mauricio_Magus said:
So I'm 32 hours in... and
Char7 just got into my party, I'm level 53

I'm just assuming that I'm rushing through the game, haha.

UYAG3.gif

sublimit

Banned
The only thing missing from this game is a monsterpedia.I'd love to check which monsters i'm going to tackle when i get the usual quest of "go and kill 5 "x" monsters in that area".
And another thing that should have been better is the big area map.The letters of the area names sometimes make it hard to see my position.Yes you can also check the mini map but i like to have it turned off and admire the scenery instead.They have done so many things right in this game that it surprises me whenever i see a faulty decision.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Wiseblade said:
Are you nuts? it's one of the best locations in the game.
I liked it for the atmosphere, but man, the pop ups really were heavy on the eyes :|

Wiseblade

MechaX said:
I am so glad you didn't actually name who that character is. I want to be surprised by this.
Then why are you uncovering spoilers?
Clown_im_OP said:
I liked it for the atmosphere, but man, the pop ups really were heavy on the eyes :|
Tell me about it... But the view from the secret landmark makes up for it.

Bennettt2

at lv.99 now and can finally kill those
T-Rexes in Makna Forest

Now off to find cool gems to beat those
100+ lv. uniques
but I don't know where to get good gems from. Anyone got a tip or two to relay?

Bennettt2 said:
at lv.99 now and can finally kill those
T-Rexes in Makna Forest

Now off to find cool gems to beat those
100+ lv. uniques
but I don't know where to get good gems from. Anyone got a tip or two to relay?
The
Level 100+ Mechon at Fallen Arm
drops Heat Sink and Night Vision.
Slobos at Valek Mountain
drop Spike Defence.
Deino Saurus at Makna Forest (which you fought)
drop Double Attack and Debuff Resist.
Brogs at Tephra Cave
drop Topple Resist.

sublimit said:
The only thing missing from this game is a monsterpedia.I'd love to check which monsters i'm going to tackle when i get the usual quest of "go and kill 5 "x" monsters in that area".
And another thing that should have been better is the big area map.The letters of the area names sometimes make it hard to see my position.Yes you can also check the mini map but i like to have it turned off and admire the scenery instead.They have done so many things right in this game that it surprises me whenever i see a faulty decision.

yes

and i'd also add another small thing. When you get new collection quests there'd need to be a popup showing how much you already got of a certain item. But these are really small peeves

If I'd been on the beta testing team, I'd requested two changes to the Minimap: 1.) Add the feature to zoom it in/out slightly and 2.) Make it display what areas you have and haven't discovered yet. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints.

By the way, have you guys seen what the save game icon for the game looks like? If you haven't, you really should. :-D

I had no idea that I was going THAT fast, damn... people already in their 100's of hours when I have only thirty... kinda feels bad when I see my affinity chart.

I'm still loving the crap out of the game.

flyover

Mauricio_Magus said:
I had no idea that I was going THAT fast, damn... people already in their 100's of hours when I have only thirty... kinda feels bad when I see my affinity chart.

I'm still loving the crap out of the game.
That's the thing about Xenoblade. However you want to play is the right way. It's such a great, flexible game. I totally understand wanting to cruise through it -- and I also understand wanting to sidequest for 200 hours.

Just got to
Agniratha
, from what I've heard this is the last zone before the point of no return. Thing is, I tried the automated shop there and still no sign of training books for
Fiora
. I desperately want to add that character to my active line-up, but all their abilities are gimped at four "bars". Am I missing something?

Hi2u

Banned
Hi2u said:
I have some questions. I put in about 30 hours and just reached the area after marsh and reached the tutorial to spike damage.

What are the party people mostly use during the course of the game? Are there general favourites?

What skills do you guys put on shulk, Reyn and co? Which ones are the best?

Do you mostly just use one character to control? I just use shulk and let the ai deal with the rest as it's a bit too much micro-mangement switching back and forth for me.

Can anyone help with this please.

CoolS

Hi2u said:
Can anyone help with this please.
I have some questions. I put in about 30 hours and just reached the area after marsh and reached the tutorial to spike damage.

What are the party people mostly use during the course of the game? Are there general favourites?

What skills do you guys put on shulk, Reyn and co? Which ones are the best?

Do you mostly just use one character to control? I just use shulk and let the ai deal with the rest as it's a bit too much micro-mangement switching back and forth for me.

Can't be answered since every combination of party members is usefull and can be played effectively. Just pick the ones you like most. Though Shulk seems to be in a lot of parties due to his his Monado skills.

Same again, there are no best skills and it depends on who you control. I myself just look through the skills and descriptions and equip and levels the ones I thin are the most usefull ones for my playstyle.

I don't completely get your last question. So you mean if people stick to playing one character? I use Shulk the most, but for questing I switch around a lot since all characters are just so much fun to play. Brings in a bit of variety imo. Also helps you in improving the affinities between the characters.

GC|Simon

12 hours, level 27, colony 6 (after the mines) and one question:
- Dunban joined my party. Is he better than Ryen? Or should he replace Sharla? I know, all kinds of combinations can be powerful. But what are your experiences? I think I need a medic. So there would only be one possibility: Dunban replaces Ryen. Good idea?

CoolS

GC|Simon said:
- Dunban joined my party. Is he better than Ryen? Or should he replace Sharla? I know, all kinds of combinations can be powerful. But what are your experiences? I think I need a medic. So there would only be one possibility: Dunban replaces Ryen. Good idea?

In general, his damage output seems to be quite a bit better for most people, and since he's an evasion tank he doesn't need as much Healing as Reyn. If you stick a lot ob agility gems and equipment to him, most enemies will miss a lot against him. In the end it comes doqn to preference, I prefer him myself.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It depends on your playing style.
I use Sharla, and Reyn is way better if you're dealing with multiple mobs. He just generates so much aggro and holds it. Tranq shot is not very useful in that case though.

Meier

SecretMoblin said:
I'm assuming, since you brought it up, that you ordered Inazuma Eleven from The Hut. Is that the case? Shipping times can vary even when using the same company or service, so you're definitely still within the acceptable shipping window, though you may have a reason to get antsy if you don't see or hear anything near the end of the week.

I hope nothing bad happened, but The Hut definitely deserves its reputation...
Yeah, I ordered them together since the price was right. IE came very quickly so that was a great experience.

XC ended up being less than $50 essentially which is really amazing. Just taking longer than I hoped..I'm guessing it'll get here early this week.

Hiltz

NTom64 said:
Dear God, the plot twist on
Prison Island
...that was fucking intense!

Yeah, that was a good one but the story has even better ones later on.

GC|Simon said:

I personally never cared for Reyne but Dunban's an excellent replacement to serve as a tank character by giving him agility gems on his armor equipment and also 1-2 aggro up gems on his weapon so that enemies quickly switch over to targeting him early on during battles. Dunban's high agility makes it easier for him to often survive battles longer and go without the need to be healed often unless you're facing powerful enemies. Also, Dunban' particularily useful for causing Topple and his 4 hit talent art attack does good damage. I would recommend keeping Sharla in the party since she is able to heal and debuff all party members.

Alright, I just defeated
Gadolt and got him out of his Mechon shell.
I'm ready to head for
Mayneth Shrine.

Question: Roughly how long between now and the end credits? I don't want to go to bed too late tonight and I don't want to go to
Mayneth Shrine
if I'm not gonna finish tonight.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
xtrasauce said:
Alright, I just defeated
Gadolt and got him out of his Mechon shell.
I'm ready to head for
Mayneth Shrine.

Question: Roughly how long between now and the end credits? I don't want to go to bed too late tonight and I don't want to go to
Mayneth Shrine
if I'm not gonna finish tonight.

You could potentially beat it in a few more hours.

It took me oh, about seventy more hours before I beat the game.

Damn. Sounds like it'll have to wait until next weekend. Besides, I should probably go do some gemcrafting and whatnot to be better prepared for what's ahead.

McNum

So I got time to play a bit more and I know I'm getting close to the end now. However, I'm not sure if I'm high enough level to face the next boss, as the previous one was a really, really close win. (And several not so close losses.)

(Endgame spoilers)
I'm back at Prison Island. A dramatic version of the main theme plays and all the enemies are level 72+. This is the final area, it has to be. I'm on the quest "Chase Dickson" and next part is "Fight your enemy". Trouble is, I'm level 74-75. I don't think that'll be enough to fight him. On the other hand, I'm taking down the level 77 uniques in the area fairly reliably with Shulk/Fiora/Sharla. That's a chain attack spamming team, although I think my Dickson team will have to swap Fiora for Dunban. Both since I think I'll need a tank and because Dunban gets to fight Dickson since it's kind of his fight.

Anyway, what level should I at least be before completing the next step of that quest which looks to be fighting Dickson? 78? 80? 82? There's plenty of enemies to pick on for levels here, so that's nice.

McNum

Really? Aw, I'd heard that the boss I'm heading for was a tough one. Well, I fell off somewhere high and the entire area has respawned. They all want a rematch, it seems. Good. I was in a hunting mood.

Edit: (Endgame spoilers)
I heard there's a point coming up where saving gets disabled, is that after fighting Dickson? It's getting pretty late here and I don't want to sit up all night to end the game.

SecretMoblin said:
I hate to tell you this, but you may need to spend more time swimming around there if you didn't find anything...

Really? What do you find and where? I swam through most, but not all of it.

Btw I really hate how they don't tell you where certain characters are in a location on the affinity chart. They'll say "Colony 9", but where? Residential District? Military? Main Entrance? etc.

Bel Marduk said:
Really? What do you find and where? I swam through most, but not all of it.

Btw I really hate how they don't tell you where certain characters are in a location on the affinity chart. They'll say "Colony 9", but where? Residential District? Military? Main Entrance? etc.
You can highlight the spoilers in this post. It's nothing story-related, just a minor quest.

And yeah, finding characters can be a pain -- F
rontier Village
is the absolute worst. That's when using the spreadsheet comes in handy, as long as you don't mind possibly spoiling the game for yourself.

Gvaz

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
And I forget the exact number, but it's near 500. 480, maybe? It's important to remember that several quests are exclusive -- doing one locks out the other. So it's impossible to do literally every quest in one playthrough.
There's around 480 quests in the game but you can only do around 430 on a single playthrough.

Hiltz said:
Yeah, that was a good one but the story has even better ones later on.

I personally never cared for Reyne but Dunban's an excellent replacement to serve as a tank character by giving him agility gems on his armor equipment and also 1-2 aggro up gems on his weapon so that enemies quickly switch over to targeting him early on during battles. Dunban's high agility makes it easier for him to often survive battles longer and go without the need to be healed often unless you're facing powerful enemies. Also, Dunban' particularily useful for causing Topple and his 4 hit talent art attack does good damage. I would recommend keeping Sharla in the party since she is able to heal and debuff all party members.
He's not a replacement tank, he IS a tank. He's pretty much the best for single target and Reyn is better for more than one mob because he has more AoE.

McNum said:
Really? Aw, I'd heard that the boss I'm heading for was a tough one. Well, I fell off somewhere high and the entire area has respawned. They all want a rematch, it seems. Good. I was in a hunting mood.

Edit: (Endgame spoilers)
I heard there's a point coming up where saving gets disabled, is that after fighting Dickson? It's getting pretty late here and I don't want to sit up all night to end the game.

(endgame)

Have you fought Dickson in Prison Island yet? If not, then yes you can still save. If you have, you're gonna have to keep going.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
At level 99 with ideal armour, gems, artes maxed and the right skills, Reyn is surprisingly still the best tank in the game. Dunban and the seventh character can do the job well but don't have artes as good at tanking, nor the HP to do it.

The other two do a heck of a lot more damage though, and you don't really need a superior tank when the end game comes down to seeing how long you can possibly topple something and do incredible damage with auto attacks.

McNum

Gvaz said:
(endgame)

Have you fought Dickson in Prison Island yet? If not, then yes you can still save. If you have, you're gonna have to keep going.
(Still endgame spoilers)
So basically, what you're saying is that if I'm standing at the edge of the Arena and it's getting late, now is when I should save and leave the rest for tomorrow?

Edit:
Nope, it was just some big ugly thing. That had a special ability to raise its level by 10. Cute trick, it still died. Is the "I'm not level 86!" move supposed to be taken as a hint?

NeededSleep

finally did it! Finished the game my first play though at 145:19 level 99. Yeah.. i know that is a huge chunk of play time but i really took my time with this one and didn't really look up for help till a few quests at the end.

The ending. Wow, was not expecting a lot of that! God damn best rpg ive played in ages. This game everyone should experience. I cannot stress that enough. So many things to do, such good story telling, and all of it on the WII which i cant not believe this was possible.

If i could id do a damn standing ovation clap for the producers and developers of this game.

Hats off to Monolith soft!

The story was interesting at the start of the game, but currently the story feels a bit lackluster. I am at the point when
juju runs off to colonel 6.
Does it pick up again?

Gestahl

Nostalgia~4ever said:
The story was interesting at the start of the game, but currently the story feels a bit lackluster. I am at the point when
Does it pick up again?

You're close to the next shit goes down point. Important story sequences are fairly intelligently spaced out from what I've seen so far.

Gvaz

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
Does it pick up again?
You haven't even fucking started yet. The game goes way up right where you're mentioning, falls back down again in the next two zones a little for most people, then afterwards it keeps going up and just doesn't stop.

McNum said:
(Still endgame spoilers)
So basically, what you're saying is that if I'm standing at the edge of the Arena and it's getting late, now is when I should save and leave the rest for tomorrow?

Edit:
Nope, it was just some big ugly thing. That had a special ability to raise its level by 10. Cute trick, it still died. Is the "I'm not level 86!" move supposed to be taken as a hint?

Dunban specifically warns you. You'll know.

Gvaz said:
You haven't even fucking started yet. The game goes way up right where you're mentioning, falls back down again in the next two zones a little for most people, then afterwards it keeps going up and just doesn't stop.

haha wait what, so this game is really long? I have played 15 hours and not even started, sweet.

The only negative thing I can say about this game, is that when I am trying to play a different game, all I can think of is Xenoblade. I've barely played Gears of War 3, have had the Ico collection since Tuesday, and I've tried to play them but I can't. I will play for a little bit and then put Xenoblade back in LOL.

Gvaz

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
haha wait what, so this game is really long? I have played 15 hours and not even started, sweet.
If you plan on doing most of the sidequests, or all of them, expect a minimum of 100 hours.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
The only negative thing I can say about this game, is that when I am trying to play a different game, all I can think of is Xenoblade. I've barely played Gears of War 3, have had the Ico collection since Tuesday, and I've tried to play them but I can't. I will play for a little bit and then put Xenoblade back in LOL.
That's when you know the game is great.

I started Nier the other day, and I'm almost finished now. Not the best game ever, but it's really good. As someone who's beaten Xenoblade, if you haven't played Nier yet I HIGHLY suggest it to those of you who don't know what game to play after.

Nostalgia~4ever said:

chap, there's a lot of people here still playing it at 190 hours

Juju's escape is like 1 % of the game, story-wise. It's the prologue of the prologue of the prologue. I guess that if you rush like mad, don't play any sidequests, don't do anything but storyline only, game can be completed in AT LEAST 60 hours

Dead

well not really...yet
Nostalgia~4ever said:
yes i have been running around and helping people with quests so far. I usually want to finish my jrpgs at 100%
The quests are really addictive, I cant leave an area until Ive done them all :X

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nostalgia~4ever said:
yes i have been running around and helping people with quests so far. I usually want to finish my jrpgs at 100%

I think I am starting to hate the quests myself.

I mean, just for example:

Get ________ from _______ somewhere in Bionis. SO GODDAMN HELPFUL THANKS FOR THE CLUE.

Talk to ________________ where you don't have the slightest idea who that person is and how you can find him/her. Oh sure the game is nice enough to give the information about the landmark location but then again it's not strange to find the person in question actually standing 1.000.000 miles away from the landmark the game indicated. Not to mention that there's a whole day/night to begin with. Oh suuuuurrreeee you can see the information about the person in the Affinity screen but fuck me this is a goddamn nightmare when the screen is filled with tons of little portraits with colorful lines all over the place.

Also "some monster broke my condoms please find stuff from some other monsters to fix them!" Fuck this kind of quests.

Also collect stuff by running around incredibly vast maps without the slightest inclination where to find the stuff! SUCH GREAT FUN! DO YOU KNOW THAT SOME OF THE ITEMS ARE ONLY APPEAR DURING CERTAIN TIMES OR DURING CERTAIN WEATHER? DO WE NEED TO TELL YOU THIS? NOOOO OF COURSE NOT HAVE FUN RUNNING AROUND LIKE A GODDAMN RABBIT ALL OVER THE PLACE TO FIND THAT RAINBOW SLUG!

Defeat this unique monster please! Oh wait you defeated that one before while you're out adventuring? WELL HA HA FORGIVE US IF THE MONSTER DOES NOT APPEAR WHEN YOU NEED TO UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO ABUSE THE SAVE/LOAD FUNCTION ON THE EXACT PLACE/TIME IT SHOULD HAVE APPEARED IN THE FIRST PLACE AND WAIT UNTIL THE GAME IS NICE ENOUGH TO FUCKING SPAWN THE BASTARD EVEN THOUGH IT SHOULD HAVE APPEARED IN THE FIRST PLACE

REPEAT ALL OF THOSE ABOVE 1000000000000000000 times over and over again.

*sigh* I apologize for the rant... I suppose I am kind of burned out from all the quests. Currently 80 hours or so in my second walkthrough with characters ranging from 89-93... Maybe all I need is a break from Xenoblade.....

Laughing Banana said:
I suppose I am kind of burned out from all the quests. Currently 80 hours or so in my second walkthrough with characters ranging from 89-93... Maybe all I need is a break from Xenoblade.....

oh man, how can you even do it?
I'm on my first and I'm physically and emotionally exausted

Top Bottom