• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Goddamn at Eryth Sea. So beautiful, but so annoying. Swimming from island to island takes like 10 minutes. And swimming really isn't interesting at all since all you do is just...swim. I really wish swimming was faster or they made that sea more compact because it's just ridiculous. I bet that sea alone is bigger than a lot of game worlds lol...

Alcamoth is almost the same thing. The place is so ridiculously spacious. Scouring the entire city took a long time. At least the place looks really cool though.

Also lol at Laughing Banana's rant. It's true unfortunately and some quests are annoying. Luckily there's a FAQ on GameFAQs so it's not THAT bad, but still, things could've been made less tedious and would save me time from going back and forth to the FAQ.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Clevinger said:
I feel your pain, brother.

I am both fascinated and frustrated by Xenoblade at the same time ;_;

Man God said:
How can you not know where everyone is by your second playthrough?

I can remember some of them but definitely not all of them. I am not sure that it is humanly possible to remember all of them without the help of some guide or something. And on my first walkthrough I sort of blazed through the game without any help from any guide whatsoever (109 hours), while on this second one I intend to squeeze as much as possible.

Not to mention the lack of monster encyclopedia of some sort means that O_O *dumbfounded face* always appear when the game asked you to kill some obscure monster that you had no idea where to find them (and the direction the game gives? "Bionis Leg" Fucking fantastic >_<)

Anasui Kishibe said:
oh man, how can you even do it?
I'm on my first and I'm physically and emotionally exausted

I am a major JRPG addict. It has been a very long while since a great JRPG like Xenoblade arrives. I guess I am just in denial---I don't want to part with it just yet ;_; Not until Skyward Sword, at the very least.

Bel Marduk said:
Alcamoth is almost the same thing. The place is so ridiculously spacious. Scouring the entire city took a long time. At least the place looks really cool though.

You're not going to sing the same tune the next time you're looking for/trying to finishing quests on Alcamoth. I know I didn't.

Hiltz

Bel Marduk said:
Goddamn at Eryth Sea. So beautiful, but so annoying. Swimming from island to island takes like 10 minutes. And swimming really isn't interesting at all since all you do is just...swim. I really wish swimming was faster or they made that sea more compact because it's just ridiculous. I bet that sea alone is bigger than a lot of game worlds lol...

Also lol at Laughing Banana's rant. It's true unfortunately and some quests are annoying. Luckily there's a FAQ on GameFAQs so it's not THAT bad, but still, things could've been made less tedious and would save me time from going back and forth to the FAQ.

Well the good thing about Eryth Sea is that you eventually get access to
more teleport transportation devices so it will be more convenient and shorter to get to some of the islands you have to swim to.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alcamoth wasn't too bad for me because by the time I got there I had enough stuff to get basically a max speed character via gemming.

Hiltz said:
Well the good thing about Eryth Sea is that you eventually get access to
more teleport transportation devices so it will be more convenient and shorter to get to some of the islands you have to swim to.

That's what I figured so I swam to the couple I could see and just moved on.

Laughing Banana said:
You're not going to sing the same tune the next time you're looking for/trying to finishing quests on Alcamoth. I know I didn't.

Probably. Seems a lot of the named NPCs are close to landmarks.

Man God said:
Alcamoth wasn't too bad for me because by the time I got there I had enough stuff to get basically a max speed character via gemming.

How can I make a max speed gem?

Actually, another thing. I have a load of crystals and my inventory is full. Should I get rid of a lot of them? Seems like it'd be tedious to make a ton of gems to get rid of them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man God said:

I tried that but found that continuously exchanging gems for traveling/battling was somewhat tedious.

If only Xenoblade has features like Mass Effect where equipped augments can be transferred directly from your old to new equipment....

Man, I do seem like I am complaining too much, yeah? But honestly I really do like this game and very grateful for Monolith for making it and NOE for localizing it.

189 hours spent for the same game makes it easy to complain, I suppose.

Bel Marduk said:
How can I make a max speed gem?

Actually, another thing. I have a load of crystals and my inventory is full. Should I get rid of a lot of them? Seems like it'd be tedious to make a ton of gems to get rid of them.

Just get rid of them really. I see no point in keeping crystals level 2 or 1. Even level 3 is somewhat questionable... although from them you can craft level 4 gems which can still be useful even at late game...

Man God said:
Make a character dedicated to fast travel, and later on in the game, one for earth/water/sky cloak, which allows you to explore certain areas way before you should be able to safely!

Why the Hell in my entire 189 hours I have never even thought about the cloaking stuff, hahaha. Ah well...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sell any crystals (besides exp/ap up or heat sink) that are two or more levels below what you are making.

When you get to heavy amounts of IV crystals start thinking about selling off IIIs, same with V's and IVs.

Make a character dedicated to fast travel, and later on in the game, one for earth/water/sky cloak, which allows you to explore certain areas way before you should be able to safely!

jgwhiteus

Yeah, even though I did a lot of sidequests my first time through, and I tried to complete most on my own, for a lot I just said, "It's not worth the time and effort to figure this out" and just used the spreadsheet or a FAQ to complete them. Even then I ended up doing stupid crap like changing the clock to change the weather so I could find a rare drop in a certain area of a map, only having to save and reload multiple times because the drop didn't show up.

The designers could have done a lot to make the quests easier and less frustrating, but at the same time I can't entirely blame them because they're all "optional" (though who can resist talking to someone with a big white exclamation point above their head, and accepting a quest, and feeling annoyed when they have uncompleted quests in their queue?!), and this type of "rare drop" stuff isn't unique to this game. FFXII was much worse, not only because of the randomly generated items / rare drops , but also because of crap like disallowing you from getting rare items much later in the game if you'd unknowingly opened random chests in the beginning. That absolutely required a strategy guide to know what was going on, whereas I think the vast majority of the quests in Xenoblade can be completed through exploration and repetition, even though it may take a long time. (And even with rare drop items, you usually don't have to have prior knowledge of ideal times / areas - there's usually a chance of them showing up at different times and other areas, it's just the possibility is lower).

And on huge maps like Bionis Leg and Eryth Sea, I appreciate that the maps auto-fill once you've hit every location, landmark and secret location. You should definitely explore as much as possible in your first playthrough, because finding secret areas and new locations on your own is half the fun of exploration, but on my second playthrough I've just been hitting the location marks one after the other, and I'm glad I won't have to worry about having an "incomplete" map with empty areas.

Gvaz

Banned
Here's the best thing to think of when you're doing the sidequests in Xenoblade and getting frustrated:

"You can't have everything, they give quite a lot already" *clicks heels three times and disappears back into Nier*

I played like 4 hours today, time sure goes fast when playing this game...

I have Ico/Sotc, Atelier Totori, and Dark Souls in like 2 days to play, and Xenoblade is still the only thing I'm thinking about right now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gvaz said:
Here's the best thing to think of when you're doing the sidequests in Xenoblade and getting frustrated:

"You can't have everything, they give quite a lot already" *clicks heels three times and disappears back into Nier*

Bah, Nier's sidequests were also plagued with collect this collect that :\ At least in Xenoblade you see people connecting with people stuff...

That one million money achievement was a pain in the behind to obtain in Nier. Well, at least the OST was godly.

Gvaz

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
Bah, Nier's sidequests were also plagued with collect this collect that :\ At least in Xenoblade you see people connecting with people stuff...

That one million money achievement was a pain in the behind to obtain in Nier. Well, at least the OST was godly.
Yeah I wasn't saying nier's quests are better (where my auto complete??) but the game is good coming off xenoblade. Other games just feel shitty in comparison, especially in the jrpg sector. Plus I needed a good Dystopian story.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I tried again getting past the huge spider boss in the random cave about 4 hours in, and I couldn't even get close after about 10 tries. I've been leveling up my sword, and I issue guard commands when I envision one of my guys dying, but nothing stops me from getting pulverized. Getting ready to rage-sell this, since it hasn't exactly been a lot of fun so far. Hearing everyone else go on about it is great, but man... :(

Gvaz

Banned
What's going wrong? What level are you? What are you doing on a vision thing?

You should be trying to nullify whatever that dude is doing. If he's using an art (noted by numerals) then you should use shield. If its just a basic attack (no numerals), you should use dodge.

Other than that Reyn should be the one taking the most damage, shulk should be healing anyone who's low, and that's about it...

How are you dying that many times? lol.

What lvl are you? Chances are you're probably underleveled and need to do some quests for exp or grind a bit but quests are better.

I'm trying to figure out how they got such draw distance out of the Wii. Like the Bionis Leg, or Earth Sea. Those areas are HUGE, with zero paused load points.

Earth Sea, for example, you can just fall... and fall, and fall, and finally hit the water after like 20 seconds.

Outside of flight sims, I have never seen a game with such a large Y axis.

And then after you hit the water, it can take an hour to swim from one end of the map to the other. The warps are your friend!

edit - Earth Sea literally gave me vertigo a few times.

it's wizardry pure and simple. I mean, I'm no tech ex but I noticed the Wii really does pant like a 80 years old jogging while moving my character...perhaps it means textures are being streamed on the fly

mattiewheels said:
I tried again getting past the huge spider boss in the random cave about 4 hours in, and I couldn't even get close after about 10 tries. I've been leveling up my sword, and I issue guard commands when I envision one of my guys dying, but nothing stops me from getting pulverized. Getting ready to rage-sell this, since it hasn't exactly been a lot of fun so far. Hearing everyone else go on about it is great, but man... :(

what cave and what spider boss? The one in Bionis leg?

Luigiv

SlipperySlope said:
I'm trying to figure out how they got such draw distance out of the Wii. Like the Bionis Leg, or Earth Sea. Those areas are HUGE, with zero paused load points.

Earth Sea, for example, you can just fall... and fall, and fall, and finally hit the water after like 20 seconds.

Outside of flight sims, I have never seen a game with such a large Y axis.

And then after you hit the water, it can take an hour to swim from one end of the map to the other. The warps are your friend!

edit - Earth Sea literally gave me vertigo a few times.
It's Eryth Sea not Earth Sea.

Wiseblade

mattiewheels said:
Seriously, the Tephra cave spider boss? It's not that hard. Reyn should be drawing all the aggro so you can use Back Slash to maximize your damage output. If the spider switches over to Shulk, use Shadow Eye to move focus back to Reyn. Whenever you see a vision, just use Shield to block it (by clicking Activate Monado, then using the art two spaces to the left). You shouldn't be using any other Monado art to make sure you have it prepped in case of a vision.

That's really all there is to it.

mclem

Bel Marduk said:

You mean you haven't unlocked the jetski?

Not really

mclem

So, I've just defeated a L72 boss (which should tell those of you reading whether you should reveal the upcoming spoilers - do not touch them otherwise!) and
left Mechonis
. I think it's fair to state that
Shit Has Gone Down

Would I be right in thinking that I'm at the start of the endgame, now? I haven't yet gone into
Bionis's Interior (Well, again.)
but it certainly feels like that at the end of that place, the final battles will take place. Also, from wandering around questing, I'm being led towards L80+ enemies and seeing big L100+ guys wandering round - along with
that new part of Tephra Cave with L90 folks

And I also did
the final part of the red pollen orb chain. I love the ending and what ultimately happens to The Kingpin.

From where I'm standing, it's looking more and more like
Melia is getting the shittiest deal - by *far* - of all the characters. Dead father, dead (one would assume) brother, bloke she fancies interested in someone else who isn't alive, but that's okay, because bloke she fancies isn't alive either

Final aside, a very minor bug I spotted just before aforementioned L72 boss:
When going back through Central Factory, you can actually return to Agniratha.

MicH

I find myself still getting superpumped when listening to tracks like "Those Who Bear Their Name"and "One Who Gets In Our Way"even after finishing the game. Such a goooood soundtrack!!

So I just ordered this game yesterday and should be getting it sometime this week.

Question is, what's the best way to play? Wiimote+nunchuck or should I order a classic controller pro?

michaeltraps said:
So I just ordered this game yesterday and should be getting it sometime this week.

Question is, what's the best way to play? Wiimote+nunchuck or should I order a classic controller pro?
It depends on your priorities. The game is plays fine with the mote'n'chuck, but it requires you to hold down a button to fiddle with the camera. It's also much easier to move around during battle while selecting your character's arts (special skills which are used frequently during battle).

I personally prefer the CCPro because I like the ability to easily move the camera around with the right stick. Selecting arts during battle requires pressing left or right on the D-Pad, though, so when you're moving your character with the left stick it can get a little awkward if you want to select arts at the same time. Despite what you may hear, it's still certainly doable; you can either not move and select arts at the same time, which works just fine for several characters, or you can use what PSP Monster Hunter fans know as 'The Claw':

MsWjW.jpg

michaeltraps said:

opinions differ. I played 50h with CC and then switched to wiimote(which I prefer now)

mclem

General consensus seems to be that both are perfectly functional. The Wiimote might be a teeny bit less convenient given how it handles the camera, but there's not much in it.

McNum

Gvaz said:
Dunban specifically warns you. You'll know.
Ah, great! Like all the other points of no return, this one comes with a built in warning, too? Xenoblade is such a well-behaved game some times. "Sorry to bother you, but if you continue the story from here, I'll have to lock out some sidequests. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Just one the little interface goodies they didn't need to add, but did anyway.

GC|Simon

A little bit more than 16 hours played, reached level 31 and I'm in the inner of Bionis.

Maybe I will go back to colony 6 before I proceed. However, those enemies on that bridge were too strong for me a few hours ago. Maybe they aren't anymore.

The game itself rocks.

Level 50 or so. Just got to the part where I fell
a long way onto the beach with Fiora
. I haven't done anything there yet.

I think I did myself a disservice by pretty much skipping the mountains, as I ended up pretty underleveled. Had to redo a couple fights and really make use of revive/encourage. But it ended up being a little more fun that way, since I was so wildly overleveled earlier. My party is:
Sharla, Dunban, Melia
most of the time but I had to switch to
Sharla, Dunban, Reyn
for a couple fights just for the damage-taking ability.

But man, so far, my predictions are all coming true and I'm still loving the game, which is a really good sign for how amazing this game is :) I'm not sure what to predict now. Have to play for a couple hours, and I still
haven't come across Gadot
though I suspect that will happen at some point.

Level 78 now, just finished B
ionis
I
nterior
122 hours on the clock
Pretty sure I've hit the endgame content now, lots of new quests seem to have come up, so I'll be doing all of those before moving on :) I'll finish Xenoblade in the next few days methinks!

CoolS

80 hours in and just cleared everything in
Agniratha
except for two quest where I need a drop and some blue orb collectables :/ I am currently Lvl 70, is that enough for progressing in the story or should I gain 1 or 2 more?

I think I am going to go back and try to max out the affinities in Alcomoth and
Hidden Machina Village
first though. Strangely enough I still only have two stars in Colony 6 and no new quests. I probably need to look for some new people to move there first..

Such an amazing game. The cutscenes after going to
Angniratha with the battle at sword valley were Dickson kicks ass and the High Entia prince has his cool speech were awesome. And of course the big reveal in Agniratha about the background of the Bionis and the Mechonis. Zanza was actually the bad guy back then and Bionis started everything! I really didn't see that one coming. Bionis starting the war I mean, Zanza was always suspicious.

TDLink

CoolS said:
80 hours in and just cleared everything in
Agniratha
except for two quest where I need a drop and some blue orb collectables :/ I am currently Lvl 70, is that enough for progressing in the story or should I gain 1 or 2 more?

I think I am going to go back and try to max out the affinities in Alcomoth and
Hidden Machina Village
first though. Strangely enough I still only have two stars in Colony 6 and no new quests. I probably need to look for some new people to move there first..

Such an amazing game. The cutscenes after going to
Angniratha with the battle at sword valley were Dickson kicks ass and the High Entia prince has his cool speech were awesome. And of course the big reveal in Agniratha about the background of the Bionis and the Mechonis. Zanza was actually the bad guy back then and Bionis started everything! I really didn't see that one coming. Bionis starting the war I mean, Zanza was always suspicious.

You should finish the stuff you have in
Alcamoth before finishing Agniratha

Also, the first person you can move to Colony 6 is Werner, who is back in the very first area of the game in Colony 9 where you fought the crab.

DarkMehm

I seriously can't comprehend how some are reaching 130+ hours. I'm like one of the biggest completionists, I really really take my time in playing RPGs. I do everything that is available. Every quest, every possible Harmony between all the NPCs in the towns. When I enter a region for the first time, I go to every corner of the map possible to unlock all the Landmarks etc. I even beat all the new monsters to complete my imaginary Monster book.

And yet I'm sitting on 72 hours with 330 quests completed and I'm almost done with
Fallen Arm
. The maximum I should reach is about 100 hours. How the hell do some of you reach 130+? No really, I'm interested because I can't go slower than this.

if you are on FA, there's still a LOT of places to go. I've been doing all the sidequests until the pre-endgame location, sitting at 371, and I've just hit the 112th hour

I can foresee at least another ten hours of gameplay, probably more

BlazingDarkness said:
Level 78 now, just finished B
ionis
I
nterior
122 hours on the clock
Pretty sure I've hit the endgame content now, lots of new quests seem to have come up, so I'll be doing all of those before moving on :) I'll finish Xenoblade in the next few days methinks!

same here! only I'm at 112 hours

TheEndIsRear.jpg

DarkMehm said:
I seriously can't comprehend how some are reaching 130+ hours. I'm like one of the biggest completionists, I really really take my time in playing RPGs. I do everything that is available. Every quest, every possible Harmony between all the NPCs in the towns. When I enter a region for the first time, I go to every corner of the map possible to unlock all the Landmarks etc. I even beat all the new monsters to complete my imaginary Monster book.

And yet I'm sitting on 72 hours with 330 quests completed and I'm almost done with
Fallen Arm
. The maximum I should reach is about 100 hours. How the hell do some of you reach 130+? No really, I'm interested because I can't go slower than this.
Well, to be fair, you aren't close to being done yet. And there are a ton of things to do before fighting the final boss if you want to do them.

I'm at almost exactly 130 hours, with my party at level 98, and I still have lots of quests to do before I finish the game.

DarkMehm

Yeah, I looked up how far it is to the end (without spoilering me of course) and I shouldn't have more than 100-105 hours on my clock at the end. I have like 120-130 quests to go (without story quests) and with the current speed I should have them cleared in a maximum of 15-17 hours.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the final boss at level 80, was extremely easy... I was expecting something pretty tougher given what I'd been seeing.

Don't think I picked up everything in the ending. Obviously spoilers are for endgame stuff.
I guess I don't get how Shulk was able to... take advantage of the system? It makes some sense with Zanza and Meyneth.

How was Shulk existing outside the world with Bionis/Mechonis? Was it as a result of Zanza using him? So how was he able to wake up?

And I don't get the third Monado thing either, that just came out of nowhere. Seems like some silly "believe in myself enough and I can beat you" type thing, but that's a terrible FF13-level explanation for it. And that would be lame since everything else was so detailed until the last few hours of the story.

RPGCrazied

I wish this game had a pick what you want to carry over like Tales of. I would've loved to bring over affinity charts, arts, items, but not levels. Is there a cheat to make you level 1? I know you can do cheats from usbloader.

Gvaz

Banned
chaosblade said:
Beat the final boss at level 80, was extremely easy... I was expecting something pretty tougher given what I'd been seeing.

Don't think I picked up everything in the ending. Obviously spoilers are for endgame stuff.
I guess I don't get how Shulk was able to... take advantage of the system? It makes some sense with Zanza and Meyneth.

How was Shulk existing outside the world with Bionis/Mechonis? Was it as a result of Zanza using him? So how was he able to wake up?

And I don't get the third Monado thing either, that just came out of nowhere. Seems like some silly "believe in myself enough and I can beat you" type thing, but that's a terrible FF13-level explanation for it. And that would be lame since everything else was so detailed until the last few hours of the story.
POST-GAME SPOILERS ALL STOP
Shulk exists outside of fate because he was already dead. Zanza inhabited him which gave him "life" as long as zanza was there. However because of the mixing life forces allowed Shulk to obtain "the power of a god" and thus later on the power of the monado on his own. You see this earlier with him having a replica monado yet still able to use it like a normal monado. The replicas essentially worked as a medium, until he brought out his own monado. This is also why Alvis referred to it as his "true" monado because the monado he's been using was really Zanza's monado. He was able to wake up because of Alvis' intervention there which allowed him to return back to his body, in a sense, from the plane that you find Zanza in. which from what I could tell was sort of "the area of the gods" or a non-real plane of existence or whatever the hell.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
POST-GAME SPOILERS ALL STOP
Shulk exists outside of fate because he was already dead. Zanza inhabited him which gave him "life" as long as zanza was there. However because of the mixing life forces allowed Shulk to obtain "the power of a god" and thus later on the power of the monado on his own. You see this earlier with him having a replica monado yet still able to use it like a normal monado. The replicas essentially worked as a medium, until he brought out his own monado. This is also why Alvis referred to it as his "true" monado because the monado he's been using was really Zanza's monado. He was able to wake up because of Alvis' intervention there which allowed him to return back to his body, in a sense, from the plane that you find Zanza in. which from what I could tell was sort of "the area of the gods" or a non-real plane of existence or whatever the hell.
More post game spoilers.

So Zanza, for all intents and purposes, accidentally turned Shulk into a god and was defeated by his own creation (I think it even says that at the end of the game). I had also wondered about the Replica Monados so that answers that as well.
That makes sense.

Wasn't there also mention that Zanza knew he couldn't exist for much longer? I guess that's why he was going through the process of destruction and recreation at that particular time. Sucks that THAT cutscene was the one where I was interrupted and missed a bunch of stuff.

And F
allen
A
rm
is probably about the 70% or 75% mark or so. But there are still a lot of quests and optional stuff that's not even opened up until further on. I think I was somewhere around 70-80 hours at that location and ended up beating the final boss at 111 hours, and still have plenty of things to do (and a few things I missed out on.)

Gvaz

Banned
chaosblade said:
Wasn't there also mention that Zanza knew he couldn't exist for much longer? I guess that's why he was going through the process of destruction and recreation at that particular time. Sucks that THAT cutscene was the one where I was interrupted and missed a bunch of stuff.
He didn't understand it, because he's a god and thinks no harm can come to him. Yet there it was, fate was telling him he had nothing afterwards. I think he just thought that Shulk had something to do with it and it needed him to "fix" it?

IT'S FUCKING HERE!!! After weeks of waiting, my Italian copy from Amazon finally arrived! Now if only I had the time to actually play it x-(

Of course, Zavvi has yet to reimburse me for my order which never arrived, and they ignored my message asking them why. What do I have to do to get my money back from them?

Rich!

Bel Marduk said:
Now that I listen more to it, the music in Alcamoth is really good. Powerful track.

Agrinatha is my fave though. So serene.

Ripped all the music from my copy from USB, and uncompressed the audio file. Using the winamp plugin from hcs64.com, and it's aweeesome.

richisawesome said:
Agrinatha is my fave though. So serene.

Ripped all the music from my copy from USB, and uncompressed the audio file. Using the winamp plugin from hcs64.com, and it's aweeesome.

Yeah, that song is really good too. As well as Central Factory.

Top Bottom