• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Cwarrior

SecretMoblin said:
If I'm remembering things right, you should be able to backtrack through the
Central Factory before you finish the Mechonis Core stuff, allowing you to get to the machine and make her weapon. It isn't really necessary, though; I think she gets that weapon automatically anyways. Obviously, that option becomes unavailable once you finish the Core part of the storyline.

ehh the mechonis is gone, am at the part where you have to make your way inside the bionis.

Jintor

About two hours in (lost some progress when I accidentally closed Dolphin without saving). This game is really interesting. Combat system is hitting its stride. Still getting bodied by King Mobs though :<

MechaX

I just got the 7th member. Huh. Now I know why they refer to that member as 7th all the time.
I still wanted Mumkhar, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Feep said:
People keep comparing damage output of team vs. team, when I can't see how that matters.

Because there are absolutely no non-renewable resources in battle, shouldn't the focus be on sustainability? That is, you maximize healing and defense so that you can stay alive indefinitely against the most difficult opponent you can. How quickly, then, you can kill that enemy is irrelevant. Shulk + Reyn + Sharla might be the most sustainable combo...it might be slow, but the big uniques have so much HP that you need to be able to survive for long periods of time no matter how quickly you can deal damage.

Edit: Spoiler above has no context and should be immediately edited.
Traditional tank-and-heal methods aren't necessarily the best way to tackle enemies. I beat all of the strongest enemies in the game without a healer. And two of them (Abaasy and the 108 bunnit one) were done without a consistent topple lock.

The game is really open about what works, and depending on how far you are and how much you experiment you'll probably find something non-traditional that works well for you.

Cwarrior said:
ehh the mechonis is gone, am at the part where you have to make your way inside the bionis.
Did you try Shulk's desk?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Jintor said:
About two hours in (lost some progress when I accidentally closed Dolphin without saving). This game is really interesting. Combat system is hitting its stride. Still getting bodied by King Mobs though :<

Change up who you're in control of once in a while. Take Reyn for a spin for instance. I didn't start changing my controlled character until I picked up the Dunban. You'll really enjoy the battle system more and more as a whole variety of abilities become available.

Anabuhabkuss said:
You're going to love this. Congrats. Batman can wait imo lawl

QUESTION TO ALL: where can I purchase Riki talent art upgrade thingies? The books that allow you to level up his arts, I mean.

There's a store in Frontier Village, on like the second, or third floor, that has plenty of upgrades to Intermediate for him. I know there are others scattered around (maybe Colony 6?), but I can't remember off hand.

aett

I'm stuck at the (lvl 72 spoiler)
Lorithia
boss fight. The lame part is that every new strategy or group of characters I use, I end up getting killed faster than before. So, I decided to gain a few levels before trying again. I'm fighting the Caterpiles and Vangs in Windy Cave, as was recommended, but it's so slow...

Also, I wanted to complete the quests that I have, but they all seem to involve level 90+ enemies. Is it going to be mandatory to grind before I can complete all the late/endgame quests?

spidye

aett said:
Lorithia
boss fight. The lame part is that every new strategy or group of characters I use, I end up getting killed faster than before. So, I decided to gain a few levels before trying again. I'm fighting the Caterpiles and Vangs in Windy Cave, as was recommended, but it's so slow...

Also, I wanted to complete the quests that I have, but they all seem to involve level 90+ enemies. Is it going to be mandatory to grind before I can complete all the late/endgame quests?
have the exact same problem. I don't have really the time to grind

Embryon

Neo Member
spidye said:
have the exact same problem. I don't have really the time to grind

That was the first boss fight I had trouble with too. I ended up using Melia, Riki, and 7th. You need lots of ether damage to take out the minions quickly, so I recommend controlling Melia. Make use of Burst End and Mind Blast while spamming AoE Elemental Discharges. Riki took care of most of my healing, and I used Healing Gift whenever 7th took too much damage.

Velinos

After hearing all the positive press and discussion here and giving up on hope of Nintendo coming to its senses and releasing in here in the US, I broke down and ordered a UK copy today. With luck I'll be enjoying it in a couple weeks.

Hiltz

aett said:
Lorithia

If you really want to level up quickly, try swapping out a character but equip em with experience point gems. Some of the quests will give you high rank experience point gems if you haven't received them yet. You can stack experience point gems on a single character to get over 100% extra exp points. I put them on Shulk and he leveled up at twice as fast as the characters without any exp point gems on. Once you're able to, fighting those small spiders and lizards in windy cave worked really well since their the among the weakest of the high lvl. mobs but attack in groups so you gain a good chunk of experience points. In addition, you can also take advantage of using weapons and/or armor that come with exp point gems like one of Melia's 2 slot weapon staffs.

Brigandier

Velinos said:
After hearing all the positive press and discussion here and giving up on hope of Nintendo coming to its senses and releasing in here in the US, I broke down and ordered a UK copy today. With luck I'll be enjoying it in a couple weeks.

You will not be dissapointed, IMO this game is the sole reason to get a Wii.

I bought the game last week and I've been on it non stop I have struggled to stop playing it with some of my sessions going on until 5am it's just that good.
Words do not describe how much I have been enjoying this game, The environments the OST and most of the characters are awesome.

Best jrpg this gen? For me it's one of the finest games ever.

Man the OST in this game is incredible so many nice tracks but Eryth sea, Satorl Marsh and Mount valac are so nice especially at night.

I've just got past Gadolt for the first time I take it there's more to come with him, I am gonna take a break from the story and finish up a bunch of quests I've ignored and work on Colony 6 for a while, I take it it's worth the hassle of rebuilding Colony 6?.

Bento

I'm a little more then 60 hours into the game right now and while I'm enjoying myself there are definitely some decisions I need to question, like having a quest design taken straight from vanilla World of Warcraft. I don't really see what they add to the game expect aside from pulling me out of the main story for far longer then I would have liked simply due to the amount of quests available (this is definitely a case were less would have been more). Considering that the overall storytelling in the game is pretty darn good it surprises me how bland and uninteresting all the sidequests are, they probably should have played some Wrath of the Lich King/Cataclysm to see how you can integrate side-missions into a greater narrative. I do however appreciate that most quests auto finishes when the conditions have been met, saves you the annoyance of having to locate the quest giver for every quest.

I also wish they had included a gambit like system that would allow me to customize the AI behavior a bit. Really would have been nice to make sure that the AI always uses Auras and that AI Shulk would apply Enchant in every battle against the Mechon (he does for the most part but some times he flat out refuses to do it). It's one of those things that can cause some headaches when harder battles are made harder because of the AI not doing what you would like them to. Another solution would be to give the player the ability to swap main character in battle.

Brigandier said:
You will not be dissapointed, IMO this game is the sole reason to get a Wii.
There are many, many other great reasons to get a Wii, especially at its current price point. Xenoblade Chronicles is certainly one of them.

Brigandier said:
I've just got past Gadolt for the first time I take it there's more to come with him, I am gonna take a break from the story and finish up a bunch of quests I've ignored and work on Colony 6 for a while, I take it it's worth the hassle of rebuilding Colony 6?.
I actually don't think it's really worth it unless you enjoy watching the colony grow and want to be at peace with some of the characters/story. The only notable exception is the incredibly useful ability to craft gems anywhere, which only requires Level 1 upgrades across the board.

Bento said:
I also wish they had included a gambit like system that would allow me to customize the AI behavior a bit. Really would have been nice to make sure that the AI always uses Auras and that AI Shulk would apply Enchant in every battle against the Mechon (he does for the most part but some times he flat out refuses to do it). It's one of those things that can cause some headaches when harder battles are made harder because of the AI not doing what you would like them to. Another solution would be to give the player the ability to swap main character in battle.
Agree wholeheartedly about the gambits, but I don't know how they would implement switching characters mid-battle without things getting a little too hectic. Their clever workaround was the chain system and the warnings, and I think that works well enough.

Oxx

Level 59/73 hours spoilers:

Ooh,
Fallen Arm
is so pretty.
Climbing all the way to the top of one of the digits was so awesome. I didn't even notice the level 95 enemy right at the tip until it killed me.

A few quick points.

Today was the closing date of the Let's Play competition.

Speaking of videos this series with Tetsuya Takashi and Koh Kojima (Xenoblade Chronicles: The Origin of an Epic) has been on (I assume) the Nintendo channel since August.
Edit: Man, the quality of those youtube videos is bad. Then again its not like the 720p (original/upscale?) version is much better:
SX4P_uk_20110811_XenobladeChronicles_InterviewPart1_245secmov_snapshot_0159_20111018_222709.jpg

Its like someone half did a cartoon filter...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Carlisle said:
Man what is up with this OT? It has to be the most oblivious OT with respect to spoilers I've participated in on GAF.

What's spoiled? They show characters, and races, but nothing mind blowing like revealing plot twist. OT is well done.

CoolS

EvilMario said:
What's spoiled? They show characters, and races, but nothing mind blowing like revealing plot twist. OT is well done.
I'm pretty sure he is talking about the whole thread in general. And hes at least partly right, there have been quite a few number if instances where People weren't carefull enough with spoilers.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
CoolS said:
I'm pretty sure he is talking about the whole thread in general. And hes at least partly right, there have been quite a few number if instances where People weren't carefull enough with spoilers.

Maybe.. but I haven't noticed. I think the Skyward Sword trailer thread has more obvious story spoilers than this thread. People should expect that after two months of being out, threads will begin to show more and more spoilers.

Gvaz

Banned
Wait, people care about spoilers in a zelda game? you go into dungeons and get X in order to do Y, then late in the game, TWIST something bad happens and you do Z.

Zelda.

KarmaCow

Gvaz said:
Wait, people care about spoilers in a zelda game? you go into dungeons and get X in order to do Y, then late in the game, TWIST something bad happens and you do Z.

Zelda.

There are enough people crazy about Zelda games that there is a community thread for the series.

And IIRC, there was a (short lived) spoiler thread for SSBB.

Gvaz

Banned
KarmaCow said:
There are enough people crazy about Zelda games that there is a community thread for the series.

And IIRC, there was a (short lived) spoiler thread for SSBB.
There's nothing wrong with being crazy about the game but the story is never that great or in need of spoilers since it's so formulaic.

Jintor

EvilMario said:
Change up who you're in control of once in a while. Take Reyn for a spin for instance. I didn't start changing my controlled character until I picked up the Dunban. You'll really enjoy the battle system more and more as a whole variety of abilities become available.

I kinda wish I could just switch mid-battle, but I dunno if that would unbalance the combat system. I guess you can switch any time out of battle so it's not so bad.

Finished it after 95 hours. I'm not sure where to start writing about with this beast of a game.

Here goes, another post singing it praises.

It's probably going to remain the most well-realised world in any RPG this generation, well single player ones. Everyone seems to have their own side quest on part of the affinity table and their own daily schedule. The party's relationships can be determined by looking out for your fellow team mate in a battle. Then there's the flash-forward visions of the future in a battle. All great additions but really what matters is the sense of exploration and it was awesomely overwhelming. Now a few of the other JRPGs I've played this generation, Eternal Sonata, FF XIII, Lost Odyssey, well by comparison they hold your hand, handcuffed.

It's hard to reach the borders here so when the credits came I was almost surprised the game had an ending.

Not that I wanted it but thought this game would end in...

Meyneth Shrine
then Mechonis Core or any of the places in Mechonis
then Bionis Interior
then Prison Island (but it's actually the universe thingy)

I took the bait and thought both
Metal Face and Egil were the big bads
... fooled twice.

The story went from predictable fare for example the identities behind the Mechon faces.

Then to less predictable. I didn't see these coming
the high Entia evolve into the Telethia and that's why Milia needed to be part hom, part Entia and of course Zanza is using Shulk as a host and is actually the big bad instead of the Mechons.

Then you have the god damn crazy twists...
Zanza and Meyneth were scientists (from earth?) who created the current universe in an experiment, somehow! I thought Alvis may have been the true god who existed beyond the world of the two titans and is hiding within a role on that stage. What I didn't expect is that he was computer (Who here did?) That's the complete opposite then the Big Bang happens again in the ending.
It was all epic epicness and kind of goofy. The stakes are constantly reshuffled and I suppose that craziness is all part of the charm. Towards the end, cut-scenes go on and on and on... but I can appreciate the interesting vision of the director and its convinced me to try out all his other Xeno games for the first time.

So yeah Xenoblade is a great game. I don't even consider it to be in a competition, it towers above all the others JRPGs I've played this console generation. Even Tales of Vesperia is in a far second. That's because Xenoblade has the right amount of freedom, formula and innovation and it's unique.

As for favourite parts,
climbing to the top on Mechonis' fallen arm, jumping from one of the Acomoth floating islands and diving in the Eryth Sea.

Surely Zelda will be good, but as far as I'm concerned it will take a miracle for Xenoblade to lose the title of 'Best Wii Game of 2011'. Hopefully it will get good support come the annual voting time.

For 7th, what is the most recommended Goggles/Arms/Boosters? I already have Speed V Frame, Conviction Blades (3 slots), and I'll be getting Segment Drones which I believe is 7th's best foot piece? I have a lot of Speed stuff and some Attack stuff for equipment but not sure what I should use.

Her
5th skill tree seems a little crazy and it's entirely
Shulk-dependent
lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gvaz said:

Zelda.

I prefer not to know what weapons there are, what the dungeons are like, and even what the story is.. because there is an off chance with every game that it isn't simply a Ganon based story. :p

Like wise, I even try to avoid spoilers in Mario games so I don't know power ups and level themes.

I was surprised to find out Nintendo owned the majority of the developer behind XB, so technically this is a Nintendo game. I love Nintendo but this game does not feel like a Nintendo game, it doesn't represent their vision for motion control or for simpler looking games. It's cheesy praise but it's so 'hardcore' if you wish to beat everything
, this includes defeating the ultimate boss, a screen-filling dragon that will always be 21 levels above you.

Hours have been spent customising skill links, affinity coins, organising equipment with their gems which also can be forged by each character in unison. There's no motion input whatever.

So not since Okami have I been immersed in a world I know very little about when going in. The juxtaposition of machines, gods and nature. All very interesting. ''It looks like FF XII, I'll give it a try" was my initial thought and was totally under-prepared for all the awesomeness. This should be used as a game to represent what the Wii can still pump out and should not be isolated from America. It's just going to burn another bridge with once loyal owners for the Wii brand who prefer games that are meatier.

Zwei

King of the Potato People said:
I love Nintendo but this game does not feel like a Nintendo game, it doesn't represent their vision for motion control or for simpler looking games.

This could explain Xenoblade's North American absence. :/

Gvaz

Banned
I probably would not have bothered with the game if it had motion controls. Nintendo deals in stupid gimmicks and the other companies like sony and microsoft are trying to pick it up with their move and kinect bullshit and it's frustrating. It's a neat idea that's always half baked and will be half baked for a long time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If the game had a better auto camera I would have gone with nunchuck and wii remote the entire time as that setup is very ergonomic and suits the gameplay very well.

Just the camera in this game forces you to control it, necessitating the other stick for some characters and situations.

Zwei said:
This could explain Xenoblade's North American absence. :/
To be fair, I felt a bit sorry for the chaps at Monolith Soft because their game deserves to sell by the bucket load. All the efforts of the team are so evident in every aspect of the design. I'm glad I live in England right about now.

At least the review scores were about right and should have boosted sales a bit more, although realistically only a few of them would have managed to get far into it and couldn't accurately judge the overall product. For example how many of them would have reached Mechonis or got the full party? I'd wager, very little of them. There's an interesting subject there regarding how trust-worthy reviews are, especially considering RPGs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
King of the Potato People said:
To be fair, I felt a bit sorry for the chaps at Monolith Soft because their game deserves to sell by the bucket load. All the efforts of the team are so evident in every aspect of the design. I'm glad I live in England right about now.

At least the review scores were about right and should have boosted sales a bit more, although realistically only a few of them would have managed to get far into it and couldn't accurately judge the overall product. For example how many of them would have reached Mechonis or got the full party? I'd wager, very little of them. There's an interesting subject there regarding how trust-worthy reviews are, especially considering RPGs.

This game has very few negative reviews.

Jintor

Man God said:
This game has very few negative reviews.

He's not talking about whether they're good or bad, he's talking about how trustworthy they are. Xenoblade Chronicles by all accounts is a long-ass game, and it's doubtful whether many of the reviewers have completely completed it before giving their verdict.

Speaking as a games journalist (snark) I'm pretty glad I don't have to review it, just enjoy it.

Gvaz

Banned
One complaint I heard was from some older SA goon saying it was too hard to keep track of everything to do in combat. Really? wow.

There's other complaints, like by diehard takahashi xenogears/xenosaga fans saying the game is shit for children, but those people are retarded and their opinion doesn't matter.

As for legitimate complaints w/r/t to the game, Xenoblade isn't exempt but it's up to the player how big of a deal the complaints are to them. For me, there were minor.

Like the quests, sure those need to be improved, but when the game gives me so much, and I have a spreadsheet of any information I need to obtain a click away, it's hard to complain about regardless of the fact it doesn't come with the game.

Nert

My list of complaints for Xenoblade:

• The framerate occasionally chugged when I used Melia
  • The random nature of the blue light collectables made a few quests annoying
  • The game could have used a quest tracking feature that would make finding various NPCs easier
  • Having
    two underground/cave dungeons
    early on in the game wasn't the best idea pacing wise.
  • As mentioned earlier in the thread, the dialogue in the game was sometimes awkward (statements repeated in the form of a question, etc.)

Other than that, I think the game is amazing and it's easily my favorite RPG of the generation.

Gvaz said:
There's other complaints, like by diehard takahashi xenogears/xenosaga fans saying the game is shit for children, but those people are retarded and their opinion doesn't matter
Mmmmhmmmm.
Evrkc.gif

ivysaur12 said:
What's this affinity thing I hear about in
Eryth Sea
?
I'm not sure what you mean; could you elaborate? Are you talking about character affinity or location affinity? Both have their uses...

As for sleep resist gems, I know you can get one for completing the top row (I think) of collectibles in
Makna Forest
. Beyond that, I can't be much help. If you have any currently, look at their color and try to find ore deposits, maybe? What are you trying to fight?

Hiltz

ivysaur12 said:
What's this affinity thing I hear about in
Eryth Sea?

Also, what's the best place to get sleep resist gems?

Not sure what you're talking about with the affinity thing.

As for your second question, it's better to just get debuff resist gems since they cover sleep resistence among other status effects which I think also includes confusion and divine protection. I think Laughing Banana said that you can find high rank debuff resistance gems from killing those tall lvl. 98 t-rex dinosarus in Makna Forest's Decayed Forest area.

Leeness

Haha in the war of attrition, large pterodactyl, I win.

Large 86 pterodactyl. My party of level 76es. I want my High Entia Emblem.

Winner is me.

I then took it to the door I found most recently that I thought it might open, up on Valek Peak. The door didn't open. I, however, did see in the dark snowstorm two glowing red eyes.

D: Sup, highest leveled boss in the game. I said "oh fuck no" out loud and hightailed it out of there.

Top Bottom