• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

McNum said:
Yeah, that line was pretty cheesy, but after 80-ish hours of Xenoblade, you kind of get immune to that kind of cheesiness. Because, yes, the game can be very cheesy at times. But then it just takes the cheese and runs with it, taking it to its natural absurd conclusion and twisting that into something awesome. I mean, the game starts with a story about two giant mecha who fight, then die, then become the world. The rest of the game pretty much spends its time playing catch-up on that, and in the end, it's pretty much all explained and makes sense. For various degrees of "makes sense".

And yes, I could listen to Alvis explain the most mundane thing like the fate of existence itself depended on it for hours and hours. Awesome voice.
Seriously they could have took that same plot and made more than one game out of it.

wsippel

Banned
McNum said:
Woo! Game complete!

If anyone says they saw that ending coming, they're either mad or lying. And yet it makes sense. (Ending spoilers, obviously)
Zanza's name is Klaus. He's a scientist from future Earth conducting an experiment that's on the MAD side of science. He blows up the universe. Whoops. Then he makes a new one, and as the geek he looks to be, it's based on giant mecha. His assistant also survived the end of the universe and became a giant mecha as well. They spawned life, because they were lonely, and then Zanza got a little upset and tried to kill Meyneth. Bad move, got beat up.

Shulk is dead. Except Zanza stole his body, and you play as Zanza for most of the game. Turns out, Shulk wasn't quite dead and manages to revive himself through sheer willpower after being killed by Dickson. Who's the right-hand man of Zanza.

But the real kicker here is Alvis. Go ahead. Guess! Guess as much as you want, because you're NOT guessing what Alvis is. Alvis is a computer. And the Monado, which explains how he could wield it, but basically he's the one running the show. Much to Zanza's regret. With Zanza dead, Alvis offers Shulk to be the new god, but Shulk refuses and destroys the world. And respawns it as an endless universe. Huh. Interesting choice.
(Again, this spoils EVERYTHING!)
Alvis is a computer, sure. But more importantly: He isn't the Monado. He's a monad. look the term up - everything will become much clearer instantly. It makes even more sense considering he's a quantum computer. But as you implied, he's basically god. The one, true god. Klaus, Mayneth and even Shulk are no gods. They're just people Alvis recognizes. He has no emotions and no agenda. He was once created to supervise and analyze an experiment, conducted by Klaus and Mayneth. Shulk was an interesting side effect in an experiment that got stale, with no new data for Alvis to collect and analyze. Being a computer, he not only lacks an agenda, he also has no vision, so he asks Shulk to design a new universe (survival of the fitttest and stuff). But that doesn't make Shulk god, really. He simply comes up with a new scenario Alvis can analyze to his hearts content - something Alvis can't do due to his nature.

Also, I believe Shulk doesn't ressurect through sheer willpower. I believe the idea is that Zanza was sleeping in that reanimated, soulless body, but while he was sleeping, that golem ran around and formed new bonds and created new memories, which led to the creation of a new "soul" out of nothing, which ultimately led to the bizarre fact that Shulk created himself, and was at the same time created by his friends and the people he met.
Or at least that's my take... :)

McNum

wsippel said:
Alvis is a computer, sure. But more importantly: He isn't the Monado. He's a monad. look the term up - everything will become much clearer instantly. It makes even more sense considering he's a quantum computer. But as you implied, he's basically god. The one, true god. Klaus, Mayneth and even Shulk are no gods. They're just people Alvis recognizes. He has no emotions and no agenda. He was once created to supervise and analyze an experiment, conducted by Klaus and Mayneth. Shulk was an interesting side effect in an experiment that got stale, with no new data for Alvis to collect and analyze. Being a computer, he not only lacks an agenda, he also has no vision, so he asks Shulk to design a new universe (survival of the fitttest and stuff). But that doesn't make Shulk god, really. He simply comes up with a new scenario Alvis can analyze to his hearts content - something Alvis can't do due to his nature.

Also, I believe Shulk doesn't ressurect through sheer willpower. I believe the idea is that Zanza was sleeping in that reanimated, soulless body, but while he was sleeping, that golem ran around and formed new bonds and created new memories, which led to the creation of a new "soul" out of nothing, which ultimately led to the bizarre fact that Shulk created himself, and was at the same time created by his friends and the people he met.
Or at least that's my take... :)
(Everything spoilers)
A... monad? Ow, NOW my brain hurts. And here I thought "Monado" was a made up word, but it actually has a root in something. His lines before fighting Zanza make a lot more sense now, though. He's not really cheering anyone on, he's just curious what choices Shulk is about to make, because he quite possibly don't have the data to figure Shulk out. No one has, he's an anomaly. By all rights, he should be dead, not pulling out a third Monado from behind his back.

It also explains why Zanza's visions fail beyond a certain point. If Alvis is running the show, then he can also calculate the most probable outcome of a situation because he holds all the data. Those who can wield the Monados see this as visions. But when Alvis hits a barrier with not enough data available, then no one can get visions. No input means no output, after all.

This also explains why he's so obsessed with Shulk, to the point of interfering with his dreams. Even Alvis can't predict Shulk. The almighty power of a quantum computer, who can see both yes and no at the same time cannot predict Shulk. So many visions have shown Shulk get killed one way or another, but Shulk is still standing. He's an extreme statistical outlier and he just keeps breaking causality. More data is required. A lot more data, which is why Alvis is so curious.

And yeah, you're probably right. What revived Shulk was the memories he had made as he traveled the world with his friends. You could say the Power of Friendship, but even Xenoblade would be ashamed of that.

One thing I don't get, though, is during the final battle, Zanza complains that Shulk is the one getting the visions... but there's a gameplay mechanic interfering here. The final boss is the only time in the game where getting a vision is a QTE. Is this happening because Zanza is getting predictable, but Shulk just keeps breaking stuff? Or is Alvis just evening out the fight? Two Monados against one is hardly fair.

I'm beginning to think the game earns its "Xeno-" prefix. The story is simple on the surface, but... yikes when you dig a little deeper. Also, now I want a sequel of sorts, there's plenty still to be told in this universe.

wsippel

Banned
McNum said:
(Everything spoilers)
A... monad? Ow, NOW my brain hurts. And here I thought "Monado" was a made up word, but it actually has a root in something. His lines before fighting Zanza make a lot more sense now, though. He's not really cheering anyone on, he's just curious what choices Shulk is about to make, because he quite possibly don't have the data to figure Shulk out. No one has, he's an anomaly. By all rights, he should be dead, not pulling out a third Monado from behind his back.
He probably didn't pull out another Monado - he basically is another monad. He exists even though he never existed in the first place (he probably isn't an older version of the kid that died years ago, he's just using that body), so he is something (or someone) created out of nothing. Like Alvis, he's something that stands between 0 and 1. But no, Alvis certainly isn't cheering anyone on. He's neutral.

One thing I don't get, though, is during the final battle, Zanza complains that Shulk is the one getting the visions... but there's a gameplay mechanic interfering here. The final boss is the only time in the game where getting a vision is a QTE. Is this happening because Zanza is getting predictable, but Shulk just keeps breaking stuff? Or is Alvis just evening out the fight? Two Monados against one is hardly fair.
That's one thing I couldn't really figure out, either. There are a few possible explanations, but not one of those I came up with strikes me at particularly convincing. The easiest explanation would be the Fight Club rationale, though: he doesn't see the future, he creates it.

Gvaz

Banned
McNum said:
endgame spoilers
And yeah, you're probably right. What revived Shulk was the memories he had made as he traveled the world with his friends. You could say the Power of Friendship, but even Xenoblade would be ashamed of that.
Endgame spoilers
What revived shulk was the fact that because zanza inhabited him, part of his soul sort of leaked into the creation that was shulk, which helped to assert his outlier status. No one predicted that would happen.

Jintor

FUCK spoiled myself slightly. Fuck fuck fuck. God damn auto-clicking on spoiler tags. Just came right out of an Arkham City thread and automatically read the first few words of that tag. Goddamnit.

Gvaz

Banned
Jintor said:
FUCK spoiled myself slightly. Fuck fuck fuck. God damn auto-clicking on spoiler tags. Just came right out of an Arkham City thread and automatically read the first few words of that tag. Goddamnit.
We tagged things that were endgame so, your own fault really

Leeness

wsippel said:
Alvis is a computer, sure. But more importantly: He isn't the Monado. He's a monad. look the term up - everything will become much clearer instantly. It makes even more sense considering he's a quantum computer. But as you implied, he's basically god.

Oh shit, hahaha. That's awesome.

Replying spoilers:

All the different pages on Wiki under "monad" are all pretty much exactly what it is, haha. And knowing Takahashi and his Gnosticism, it's gonna be that definition, the "most primal aspect of god". But all the definitions are something to do with god, and the computer definitions are all pretty spot on too. Amazing, didn't know it was an actual word.

Welp, digested the game a bit more and yeah, it's gonna be up there as one of my favourite games. The JRPGs that end up in my ~top ten~ or whatever, are always Xenosaga and Final Fantasy IX. This absolutely joins them and probably tops them.

iluxenoblade <3

Also, Heropon is best Pon. One of the only "stupid animal sidekicks" in a game that is fucking awesome and super cute.

flyover

Leeness said:
Also, Heropon is best Pon. One of the only "stupid animal sidekicks" in a game that is fucking awesome and super cute.
I couldn't believe I didn't hate him. I always hate those Kinds of characters. But I... liked him. Just another reason why Xenoblade is so impressive.

Luigiv

SecretMoblin said:
...until you start on the quests for it.
I never had much of a problem with this. Though then again, I'm not trying to 100% the game so luckily I didn't picked up too many quests that require lots of scouring of Frontier Village.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
flyover said:
I couldn't believe I didn't hate him. I always hate those Kinds of characters. But I... liked him. Just another reason why Xenoblade is so impressive.

Indeed. Xenoblade does no wrong.

wsippel said:
Riki is a badass motherfucker. In fact, he rivals and quite possibly exceeds Dunban in the badass department. He gets a lot more compelling the more you learn about him and the Nopon tribe. Especially once you realize that
the whole cuteness and stupidity thing is just an act. Riki is by no means stupid, and knows very well what's going on. The game actually establishes that Nopon act stupid and cute because it helps being underestimated. Dunban even realizes and acknowledges that fact at some point.
Oh hey, care to elaborate on this a little more? Guess I didn't do enough questing to be abe to figure this out. Still, I've always loved the little furball and he was a mainstay in my party for like the last half of the game.

Philia

So uh... anyone get that Happy New Year achievement?

I'm just about to get it I think. (Gametime is 145 hours) and I've fiddled with time here and there but nothing excessive (just to reach characters otherwise inaccessible). I'm curious if you have to do this achievement OUTSIDE and on normal natural progression of time? I figured I'd just rotate time til I get it since I'm around this time period.

Zomba13

So I just beat the game (went past the point of no return at 77 and easily won while I had a huuuuuuuge amount of trouble at 76 lol).

I didn't see the ending coming at all but did kinda guess something was up when you get to the last few areas.

Really, really enjoyed this game.

Finally finished it! :D

80 hours well spent.

Such a wonderful game, man, just in awe of it still. Really really enjoyed it. Best JRPG of the gen easily, one of the best games full stop.

<3 Monolith Soft.

polg

I'm on hour 72, and starting to get fatigue :/ I'm on
sword valley
. I've done quite a lot of side stuff. I might have to power through the rest of the game. Can't be bothered with 32425032 side quests anymore :(

polg said:
I'm on hour 72, and starting to get fatigue :/ I'm on
sword valley
. I've done quite a lot of side stuff. I might have to power through the rest of the game. Can't be bothered with 32425032 side quests anymore :(
If you're planning on powering through it, just know that there's a long, long way to go. And the mountains of quests are largely over by that point, too, if you're worried about it.

Bento

Finished the game after having been up all night (9 am where I'm at) and goddamn if Monolith didn't manage to piece together one of the best RPG finales in a very long time. Everything that happens between the events of Meyneth Shrine and the ending is top notch imo :eek:)

Great game overall with some issues that holds it back from joining the ranks of the all time greats but very happy that I gave this game the 80 hours it took me to beat it.

aett

A few days ago, I mentioned that I was stuck at a certain, infamous, level 75 boss fight and that I was level 72 and grinding was taking forever. Well, luckily, it turns out that there were a ton of new quests that had opened up in Colony 6, so I quickly gained six levels and kicked the crap out of that boss.

The only problem now is that many of the enemies in the next area --
Prison Island
-- are still a higher level than me and are putting up a hell of a challenge. Worse yet, I've completed all the quests that I'm able to... I have a lot of quests available, but they all involve killing monsters that are level 85-99, which I haven't been able to do. I guess I'm back to the grind.

Temrer

Neo Member
Just met 7 (60 hours in).

Please tell me I'm not the only person who may have done a happy squee/cried a manly tear at the "kiss". Please, GAF.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Temrer said:

Please tell me I'm not the only person who may have done a happy squee/cried a manly tear at the "kiss". Please, GAF.
What I thought was funny was
when she asked for water a couple scenes later and Shulk was totally oblivious.

aett said:
A few days ago, I mentioned that I was stuck at a certain, infamous, level 75 boss fight and that I was level 72 and grinding was taking forever. Well, luckily, it turns out that there were a ton of new quests that had opened up in Colony 6, so I quickly gained six levels and kicked the crap out of that boss.

The only problem now is that many of the enemies in the next area --
Prison Island
-- are still a higher level than me and are putting up a hell of a challenge. Worse yet, I've completed all the quests that I'm able to... I have a lot of quests available, but they all involve killing monsters that are level 85-99, which I haven't been able to do. I guess I'm back to the grind.
I went in at 76 and didn't have much problem, finished that area at 79. If you're 78 your problem isn't level, it's strategy, gems/equipment, or skill links.

McNum

Temrer said:

Does a "D'awww..." count? Because I totally D'awww'd at it. Seriously, those two are just too cute together.

There are several good inter-character scenes in the game, I also liked, in the same area,
Dunban, Riki and Melia's scene. Riki is much, much smarter than he looks.

Jintor

Any general tips on crystal forging? So far just piling everything into whatever gets above 100% and making those, but I'd love to get some more advanced tips instead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got it in the post today and played it for about 2 hours.

I finally understand what the thread title is about.

Gvaz

Banned
You know, I think this is one of the few games where i'd actually replay once a year, just to ingrain myself with how good the game is. I never do that.

MechaX

I'm just wrapping up the Fallen Arm and I'm about to go to the Mechonis Foot. Even despite its simple approach at plot-twists, the game still manages to keep me interested and guessing.

Like, it's obvious that Gadot is most likely going to be the next Face Unit, but it still elicited a "oh snap!" from me. Also, I don't trust Dickson right now. At all.

Also, is there an easy way to go back to Colony 6 from here? I should have gotten that portable gem maker ages ago.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
MechaX said:
Also, is there an easy way to go back to Colony 6 from here? I should have gotten that portable gem maker ages ago.
Quick travel, works the same as anywhere else, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense.

McNum

MechaX said:
I'm just wrapping up the Fallen Arm and I'm about to go to the Mechonis Foot. Even despite its simple approach at plot-twists, the game still manages to keep me interested and guessing.

Like, it's obvious that Gadot is most likely going to be the next Face Unit, but it still elicited a "oh snap!" from me. Also, I don't trust Dickson right now. At all.

Yup, you open the menu, select Area Maps, then Colony 6, and then where you want to go. When you're ready to go, Skip Travel will work again.

MechaX

chaosblade said:
Quick travel, works the same as anywhere else, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm just now realizing that you can open up every area with the map from the main menu and fast travel that way.

Wow, this makes absolutely no sense but I care not!

Gvaz

Banned
MechaX said:
I'm just now realizing that you can open up every area with the map from the main menu and fast travel that way.

Wow, this makes absolutely no sense but I care not!
Another person who didn't realize this? god damn

MechaX

Gvaz said:

Usually, there's no real need to travel across multiple areas as opposed to traveling between multiple landmarks in a single area. I remember opening the Area Map in the very beginning of the game, now that I think about it. But since I only had Tephra Cave unlocked, I easily forgot about it.

Gvaz

Banned
MechaX said:
Usually, there's no real need to travel across multiple areas as opposed to traveling between multiple landmarks in a single area. I remember opening the Area Map in the very beginning of the game, now that I think about it. But since I only had Tephra Cave unlocked, I easily forgot about it.
What I do and what everyoen should be doing:

Open the quick map to travel between locations in a level
Open the main menu map to travel between levels to a specific location.

Leeness

Gvaz said:
You know, I think this is one of the few games where i'd actually replay once a year, just to ingrain myself with how good the game is. I never do that.

Absolutely. I've been done for a couple of days and I'm so sad haha. I miss the game

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just beat
Lorithia
, so it's almost over. This was by far the most trouble I've had with a fight, because it's mostly Ether based and of course the 'shield'. I ended up with Riki (controlled), Melia, and Sharla. Spammed Poison, Bleed, Freezinate, and Riki's healing move while Melia just buffed the team and Sharla kept me alive. Ignored the element shields and just focused on the boss.

I was five levels under the boss, so when I tried a few other teams with level VI Ether Defense gems equipped, it didn't make a difference. Riki saves the day again!

Gvaz said:

Took me until Eryth Sea to figure it out, because there's no other way to go back. Haha.

McNum

EvilMario said:
Just beat
Lorithia
, so it's almost over. This was by far the most trouble I've had with a fight, because it's mostly Ether based and of course the 'shield'. I ended up with Riki (controlled), Melia, and Sharla. Spammed Poison, Bleed, Freezinate, and Riki's healing move while Melia just buffed the team and Sharla kept me alive. Ignored the element shields and just focused on the boss.

I was five levels under the boss, so when I tried a few other teams with level VI Ether Defense gems equipped, it didn't make a difference. Riki saves the day again!
That was, to me, the toughest fight in the game, final boss included. Although five levels below is a little low, you must have had trouble hitting. There are some tough fights ahead, but nothing this bad.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
McNum said:
That was, to me, the toughest fight in the game, final boss included. Although five levels below is a little low, you must have had trouble hitting. There are some tough fights ahead, but nothing this bad.

Maybe it was an issue and I didn't notice, but I've been maxing out Agility and it seemed like we were fine hitting. I was struggling keeping the party up though. Tried equipping a bunch of Topple Resist, which helped (and used Shield with Shulk when I had him in), but it seemed like she'd reel off Big Bang / Another Attack one after another.

After a few rounds, I got the hang of keeping Sharla out of the Ether pit and things turned a bit better. Tried controlling Melia a bit which was helping, but I really felt I needed to control someone with a better healing move so I switched in Riki.

Worked out well enough, basically killing it with status / freezinate and Melia occasionally striking a blow.

Definitely the toughest fight for me. Before this, I had my levels up equal, or above most bosses.. and even when I didn't, I just walked over them. I think only Xord I had to fight more than once. It was good to have a challenge, but man, it was a pain.

Top Bottom