• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Dead

well not really...yet
I love that the
battle music has changed now that I'm on Mechonis (Fallen Arm)
Was just about time too.

Standing on the beach and seeing the fingers of the Mechonis on the horizon has to be one the game's most impressive visual vistas yet.
Amazing.

Also, for those of you who have beat it, if Im
going from the Hidden Village to Mechonis Field,
how far into the game am I approximately? I'm currently Lvl 58 and 55 hours in.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:
I love that the
battle music has changed now that I'm on Mechonis (Fallen Arm)
Was just about time too.

Standing on the beach and seeing the fingers of the Mechonis on the horizon has to be one the game's most impressive visual vistas yet.
Amazing.

Also, for those of you who have beat it, if Im
going from the Hidden Village to Mechonis Field,
how far into the game am I approximately? I'm currently Lvl 58 and 55 hours in.
Probably 70-75% or so. It's hard to say since the first half of the game (up to P
rison
I
sland
) is pretty open and the rest is pretty linear.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Were you evenly leveled with the opposition or no?
Usually about the same level as bosses I think. Give or take a level.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ok, thats kind of what I figured.

I think Ill take a break from the story for the next several hours and do quests, affinities and all that jazz. Need to build up Riki and 7ths Affinity with my party especially

GC|Simon

37:15 played, level 52. I went through
Sword Vally
to
Galahad Fortress
and survived the
elevator room
more or less right at the beginnig. I feel slightly unerleveled... hopefully I won't get stuck in the near future.

Currently, I'm fighting with Dunban and Sharla. I need the healing ability of Sharla... Melia will have her comeback... maybe.

Could anyone estimate how far I am in the game, please? Thanks!

Gvaz

Banned
GC|Simon said:
37:15 played, level 52. I went through
Sword Vally
to
Galahad Fortress
and survived the
elevator room
more or less right at the beginnig. I feel slightly unerleveled... hopefully I won't get stuck in the near future.

Haha, better get to doing those quests if you're feeling the crunch now.

Also you're about at the 65% mark maybe?

Eh, any reason with Shulk can't do damage to
Tyrea and the other masked soldiers?
I just beated Soldum and her, and they never explained why the Monado just bounces.

Been marathoning the game, it is pretty awesome. I really haven't bothered much with Riki and Melia, Shulk/Sharla/Dunban is working great to me. I feel crippled without a healer, and Riki doesn't heal as well as Sharla.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I just beated Soldum and her, and they never explained why the Monado just bounces.

Been marathoning the game, it is pretty awesome. I really haven't bothered much with Riki and Melia, Shulk/Sharla/Dunban is working great to me. I feel crippled without a healer, and Riki doesn't heal as well as Sharla.

I didn't realize until after but the
The Monado cannot hurt humanoids

This is shown in a cutscene early on in the game, you might remember it.

Sgt.Pepper said:

Yeah, this is actually a pretty major plot point. You'll see.

Zornica

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:

does this sound familiar?

most people forget about that little detail because its (sadly) not used very often in the game.
there are thousands of little details like this hidden throughout the game. pay close attention to whatever cutscenes are telling you ;)

Ah, I see. I totally forgot about that.

This game could use a Bestiary, though. Some monsters drop very nice armor, but I tend to forgot which monster drops it so I don't have to spend money to get armor.

McNum

Zornica said:
does this sound familiar?

most people forget about that little detail because its (sadly) not used very often in the game.
there are thousands of little details like this hidden throughout the game. pay close attention to whatever cutscenes are telling you ;)
It's there so people who paid attention get to feel clever. It also becomes a bigger point later, but I won't spoil that. And yes, keep an eye out for details. You'll see a lot of things make more sense when you do in this game. You can even get a a fairly major twist spoiled by talking to some NPCs and looking at boss names.

B.K.

I just ordered a copy off Ebay for $69.99. It was probably $10 more expensive than if I bought it from a European game site, but it's a bit more convenient buying it from an American seller. Don't have to worry so much about it getting lost in shipping and how long it takes to get here from Europe.

Wichu

McNum said:
You can even get a a fairly major twist spoiled by talking to some NPCs and looking at boss names.
That was fun. I don't really count it as spoiling the game for me, though - it just made me wonder what the connection could be (don't tell me, I'm still only about halfway through).

Mistle

Any tips on how to beat
diciple loritha in the bionis heart?
My party is around lvl 73 and i can hardly do any damage, she defends strongly against most attacks

Edit: ok so i just realised melia does damage.. ill see what i can do.

Mistle said:
Any tips on how to beat
My party is around lvl 73 and i can hardly do any damage, she defends strongly against most attacks
What's your setup? Who's in your party?

The simplest thing to do, of course, is level up -- and at your level it isn't difficult at all to get 2 or 3 levels in under an hour if you want to. Besides that, you can equip gems to mitigate the effect of status attacks, and if you want a somewhat easier time try defeating the minions. If your party members get hurt around the sides of the arena, call them near you.

The fight is definitely the most YMMV of the game, if this thread is anything to go by. Some people have a really easy time.

Edit: Wait, you're just now discovering Melia's fighting style? I would recommend going around and using her for a while and coming back to the fight. You might level up in the meantime.

Mistle

SecretMoblin said:
What's your setup? Who's in your party?

The simplest thing to do, of course, is level up -- and at your level it isn't difficult at all to get 2 or 3 levels in under an hour if you want to. Besides that, you can equip gems to mitigate the effect of status attacks, and if you want a somewhat easier time try defeating the minions. If your party members get hurt around the sides of the arena, call them near you.

The fight is definitely the most YMMV of the game, if this thread is anything to go by. Some people have a really easy time.

Edit: Wait, you're just now discovering Melia's fighting style? I would recommend going around and using her for a while and coming back to the fight. You might level up in the meantime.
Thanks for the tips! I'll get some more levels and work with gems a bit more intently. I generally use any party member (Shulk, Reyn, Sharla seems to work best for all-purpose use however). The only member I never use is Riki, and that's only because I can't stand him haha.

And I knew Melia can do damage of course, lol. It's just that her attacks seem to not be defended by the boss- they do full damage. I guess because theyre not physical.

Mistle said:
The only member I never use is Riki, and that's only because I can't stand him haha.
Shhh! Don't let the others know! Those of us who long ago came to the realization that he's an annoying, useless little twerp are underrepresented here.

Mistle said:
And I knew Melia can do damage of course, lol. It's just that her attacks seem to not be defended by the boss- they do full damage. I guess because theyre not physical.
Yeah, one of the many, many advantages of Melia is the fact that she deals ether damage, which most bosses don't have much protection against. Add that to her one-woman toppling abilities and her adequate agility and she's a great party member -- if you're the one controlling her.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
SecretMoblin said:
Shhh! Don't let the others know! Those of us who long ago came to the realization that he's an annoying, useless little twerp are underrepresented here.

Hahaha. He's not exactly useless but to me he's just really jack of all trades. Somewhat okay healing, somewhat okay ether attacks, somewhat okay physical attacks, but he does not really excel at something in particular unlike Melia with Ether or Sharla with Healing.

His quotes are occasionally funny too :)

But for the life of me I just can't bring him to 'serious' battle like the final boss. Just the thought of a round fluffy... thing... whacking around the final boss... makes the overall thing seem a lot less epic in my opinion.

McNum

Wichu said:
That was fun. I don't really count it as spoiling the game for me, though - it just made me wonder what the connection could be (don't tell me, I'm still only about halfway through).
You already know everything you need to figure it out. Just need to ask yourself a series of "Why?" questions. I'm still thinking you'll go "I knew it!" when what I'm referring to is revealed. But no matter how observant you are, the game WILL blindside you. Almost as if it puts out hints to make you feel clever, and then spring a much bigger twist on you to punish your arrogance. Good fun, really.

Luigiv

I just had a major oh snap moment. On the way into M
echonis
F
ield
, I noticed that
there are two fallen arms and the one you explore belongs to neither Mechonis or Bionis.
Takahashi you crafty devil, what could this mean?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Luigiv said:
echonis
F
ield
, I noticed that
there are two fallen arms and the one you explore belongs to neither Mechonis or Bionis.
The one you explore is the Mechonis fallen arm you see get cut off in the opening scene.
Where do you see it, because I'm pretty sure that's the only one unless I entirely missed something.

Luigiv

chaosblade said:
The one you explore is the Mechonis fallen arm you see get cut off in the opening scene.
Where do you see it, because I'm pretty sure that's the only one unless I entirely missed something.
At the very entrance of Mechonis Field, look to your right.

mclem

Luigiv said:
echonis
F
ield
, I noticed that

There's a comment somewhere in the game - I forget exactly where, probably when you first arrive on
Fallen Arm
- stating that it
*is* Mechonis's arm cut off in the intro sequence - he then regrew a replacement.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mistle said:
Any tips on how to beat

Edit: ok so i just realised melia does damage.. ill see what i can do.
Monado Arts are clutch in that fight, especially ones you might not use much like Eater. I beat it without Melia in my party (though I was several levels higher than you).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I don't have any saves where I can see what you're referring to. If you post your save I'll check it out, it would be at SD:\private\wii\title\SX4P\data.bin if you copy it to a SD card.

You have me curious as to what exactly you're looking at.

The AI is terrible using Melia and Riki. They always have to be the main to do anything good, at least the AI really knows how to use Shulk/Ryen/Dunban. Back Slash does amazing damage, love it.

I'm
after the Emperor dies.
What's a fast way to make money? I want to buy some art upgrades.

ymmv

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
The AI is terrible using Melia and Riki. They always have to be the main to do anything good, at least the AI really knows how to use Shulk/Ryen/Dunban. Back Slash does amazing damage, love it.

I'm
after the Emperor dies.

Just play the game. If you play long enough, you'll amass tons of items, collectibles, armor, weapons, gems, etc. If you sell only a fraction of them, you still have far more money than can you could ever spend in the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:

I'm
after the Emperor dies.
Sell armor and weapons you don't need for starters. No need in collecting it since you'll never touch older/weaker stuff again (although there are a some late-game exceptions that will be very obvious, but still optional).

Aside from that, selling collectables usually nets decent amounts of money. And since gem crafting usually isn't too important until you can make level VI gems, you can sell those shards as well, along with any gems you just don't care about.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just finished the epic cutscene after A
gniratha

My question is
if Egil is now the "soul" of the Mechonis, where is Meyneth's power still coming from? What was Meyneth before this? And how is it it that Vanea was able to reawaken her/put her in Fiora's body? And it seems she wasn't fully "reawakened" until Gadolt sacrificed himself? Or, is Egil not actually the "soul" of Mechonis, and is just controlling it and Meyneth is still actually the soul of the Mechonis?

Codeblue

Near endgame spoilers I think, around level 72, 80 hours in:

Lorithea is the absolute worst. I've been consistently impressed by the AI and design in this game, but my partners won't stop wandering into the green poison crap. The Telethia she's on is so big that it just pushes everyone into the crap from five feet away, or on the rare occasion that a partner dies on land she just sort of hovers over them so I can't do anything about it. God damn it.

Time to go grind, I guess.

I haven't checked into this thread since I got the game, just figured I'd rant about it. I still think it's super fun and an amazing achievement for Monolith.

Codeblue said:

Lorithea is the absolute worst. I've been consistently impressed by the AI and design in this game, but my partners won't stop wandering into the green poison crap. The Telethia she's on is so big that it just pushes everyone into the crap from five feet away, or on the rare occasion that a partner dies on land she just sort of hovers over them so I can't do anything about it. God damn it.

I haven't checked into this thread since I got the game, just figured I'd rant about it. I still think it's super fun and an amazing achievement for Monolith.
Remember that you can order your teammates to stick close to you -- it's helpful in battle if they go running off. Run to a safe place, order them to you, then order them to attack at will or attack your target, whatever. Yes, it requires a bit of extra work, but it can make a huge difference.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh my god.

This is some Xenosaga-like shit. And I mean that in a good way.

The revelations! After you beat E
gil. Zanza! The "death" of Shulk! THE TELETHIA! OH MY GOD!

I'm not going to get any of work done today. So much for working from home.

ivysaur12 said:
Oh my god.

This is some Xenosaga-like shit. And I mean that in a good way.

The revelations! After you beat E
gil. Zanza! The "death" of Shulk! THE TELETHIA! OH MY GOD!

I'm not going to get any of work done today. So much for working from home.
hehe, you think it's crazy now, you just wait...

Philia

Her center art IS available. Its darkened to show that you don't have her aura yet which is like double the attack power of her elementals. Anyway, make sure you select her elementals first, she can hold up to 3 on her head. So you can just click on all 3 and then click on the center OR you could just click on one elemental art and fire away from the center art and click on another elemental and vice versa.

Again, the center art is only highlighted when you are in a AURA state, you can STILL attack when its darkened when you have an elemental on your head.

GameE

Codeblue said:

I am at this place right now. Where is a good place to grind?

ivysaur12

Banned
Philia said:
Her center art IS available. Its darkened to show that you don't have her aura yet which is like double the attack power of her elementals. Anyway, make sure you select her elementals first, she can hold up to 3 on her head. So you can just click on all 3 and then click on the center OR you could just click on one elemental art and fire away from the center art and click on another elemental and vice versa.

Again, the center art is only highlighted when you are in a AURA state, you can STILL attack when its darkened when you have an elemental on your head.

This also makes Melia amazing during chain attacks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Codeblue said:

I was vastly under leveled (4-5 levels) at the
Lorithea
fight. I managed to win eventually controlling Riki, and using Freezinate for damage and status attacks like Poison and Bleed. Most people prefer to control Melia, but I don't mind her AI. You can pretty easily force her to attack by using 'Focus Attacks'. Sharla as the third for keeping Riki up.

And yes, at the beginning of the fight use the 'Come to Me' command to make sure your teammates actually stick with you until you're in the middle of the room. That way, they're much less likely to fall into the Ether unless they're trapped and pushed in.

Luigiv

mclem said:
There's a comment somewhere in the game - I forget exactly where, probably when you first arrive on
Fallen Arm
- stating that it
*is* Mechonis's arm cut off in the intro sequence - he then regrew a replacement.
Oh that's kinda lame. They could have done so much more with that.

chaosblade said:
Looks like I don't have any saves where I can see what you're referring to. If you post your save I'll check it out, it would be at SD:\private\wii\title\SX4P\data.bin if you copy it to a SD card.

You have me curious as to what exactly you're looking at.
I can't really be bothered copying over my save. Maybe I'll take a photo of it, when I have the chance. But anyway, here's the general gist of what I saw:
There's a second fallen arm sitting next to Mechonis's leg that looks much more inline with his design then the one you explore.

Hi everyone :)
Bought the game day one, still have to finish it (don't have too much time to play these days :( )

Still, I'm almost at the end, precisely I'm stuck at the
battle with the bitch Lorithia. I'm clearly under-leveled, so I went back to kill some monsters that I left behind...
leveling aside, any advice on how to beat her? My party atm is Shulk, Reyn and Sharla.

Also, do you know where I can find the scrolls for the advanced arts for Shulk, Reyn and Sharla? I know they are a drop form enemies, but I did'nt find any guide on the net on which enemies drop them...

btw, what a fantastic game :D

edit: ok, I read the previous post in this page and I saw they were all bout this battle XD I'll try using Mellia while I level up my party, and get back to the battle with her :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's probably a tough party to work with in that battle.

Maining Melia, and having Riki+Sharla as AI is probably the best setup for that fight, unless you want to drop a character for Shulk and Monado Arts (Riki if Shulk is AI, Melia if you main Shulk). Melia will probably hold aggro so you'll be relying on Sharla a lot for healing. HP gems will probably be useful.

I was using Shulk+7th+Sharla in that battle and it wasn't exactly a smooth battle, but I didn't have much trouble with it either. But I also wasn't underleveled, I think I was 73 or 74.

As for the books, they are in the google docs document linked at the bottom of the OP. But be warned that it has unmarked spoilers all over it (although there shouldn't be many, if any, spoilers left for you at this point).

Mistle

I was stuck on that battle earlier today. The key thing to realise is that killing all the small enemies first removed the bosses defense, and you can deal heaps of damage in that window before she respawns then. Rinse and repeat. If party members get pushed into the water, call them back. Melia can defeat one of the small enemies with 3-4 ether attacks. Though to be honest, I beat the battle after many many attempts by using Shulk, Sharla and Dunban. I know it isn't the best combination for that fight but it worked in the end. Making use of the Monado art that damages all enemies around Shulk is extremely useful. I was level 74-75 when I won.

Anyway...

I just finished the game tonight. And wow, it was honestly one of the greatest games I've ever played. I've been waiting for another RPG that I really love since Skies of Arcadia, and finally it came in the form of Xenoblade. The ending was phenomenal. And the final bosses were the perfect difficulty- extremely hard, took me many attempts, but at no point did I feel I was being cheated. It always felt like it was my fault and I had to improve. Great game design.

If there was a graph of this game plotting quality against time, it would be a steady slope upwards. It just keeps getting better and better. Hopefully I can convince a few friends of mine to stick with it, I'm sure they'd love it.

The story was absolutely brilliant. I feel I understood it well, but now I can't wait to go highlight all those spoilers in this thread which I'm sure reveal a lot of things that I might have missed.
Then there's the beautiful graphics/art design (and I mean beautiful), character development, side quests, exploration, etc etc etc.

I could keep writing about this game on and on, but it'd be nothing new to anybody who is currently playing it for themselves. It's so awesome that Monolith Soft now create for Nintendo, if they make a game as good as Xenoblade for Wii U then... I'm already pumped.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Man I haven't played this in about a month. Helped Melia
through the rite of passage quest
and haven't gone back since. Got sidetracked by Deus Ex, Batman and Dark Souls. How much further do I have?

Luigiv

truly101 said:
and haven't gone back since. Got sidetracked by Deus Ex, Batman and Dark Souls. How much further do I have?
A lot.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
truly101 said:
Is that the H
igh
E
ntia
T
omb
? You're almost halfway, roughly.

Mistle said:
If there was a graph of this game plotting quality against time, it would be a steady slope upwards. It just keeps getting better and better. Hopefully I can convince a few friends of mine to stick with it, I'm sure they'd love it.
I have two friends at work that want to play it, but one doesn't have a Wii. I'll probably loan my copy to the other guy since I probably can't convince him to import it. Friend from high school did order it though, looking forward to his thoughts on the game.

Top Bottom