• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Dead

well not really...yet
Was wandering around Colony 9, finishing off some leftover sidequests, and found myself talking to people. Talked to the girl called Desiree, and WTF at what she said
"btw, my dad was named Xord and died at sword valley"
BY GAWD, WHAT!?!

This game...THIS GAME!

Hiltz

Dead said:
Was wandering around Colony 9, finishing off some leftover sidequests, and found myself talking to people. Talked to the girl called Desiree, and WTF at what she said
BY GAWD, WHAT!?!

This game...THIS GAME!

Nice find. I was thinking about this the other day while looking through the online archive of the game's art book.

Just finished! Clear time- 108:23. I may have missed some quests but finished the majority of them- found all locations/landmarks and unlocked all skill trees for each character. The game was mind-blowingly good. Best game yet this generation IMO.

Philia

Yeah I saw that. Kinda depressing.

As for some serious extra challenges; so I killed that
lv 108 rabbit
today. INCREDIBLY SATISFYING. OH man. I'm just so glad that thing is out of the way.
Lv 114 Balgazas
is definitely next. :D I'll probably redo that darn
lv 105 Mechon
but he's annoying with that laser right off bat (he got EYES in the back of his head! WTF) and god darn Shulk for NOT doing what he's supposed to do. But yes, saving
Abaasy
last. Gotta upgrade my arts some more before I even consider that battle.

But yes, topple chain ALL THE WAY. :D That awesome topple chain will definitely help me with my achievements in revival/chain/stopping the future. I'm just so glad this game is giving me so much extra content until Skyrim! 12 more days now!

Dead

well not really...yet
lol, I love how this game is making me buy armor for the character I never use in battle (Reyn) just so he appears consistent in the cutscenes...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I finally got my Wii repaired (by a third party so I didn't lose my region free hacks) and I can actually play this now.

Is this basically a CC Pro type game or do wii remote motion/pointer controls offer anything?

Gvaz

Banned
Htown said:
So I finally got my Wii repaired (by a third party so I didn't lose my region free hacks) and I can actually play this now.

Is this basically a CC Pro type game or do wii remote motion/pointer controls offer anything?
Pick whichever one is comfortable. I played with a controller.

Luigiv

Htown said:

No motion or pointer with the remote (a wasted opportunity if you ask me). Pick whichever one sounds better to you.

CC:
+Camera on right stick at all times, no extra buttons required.
-Arts selection on d-pad only. Need to use "the claw" if you want to move and select arts simultaneously.

WR+N:
+Arts selection on d-pad, just like CC, but the d-pad is under your right thumb. Can select arts and move simultaneously without any hand aerobics.
-Camera controls are also on d-pad. You need to hold down the c button to access it.

I use a classic controller myself.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:
BY GAWD, WHAT!?!

This game...THIS GAME!
She actually talks about that before P
rison
I
sland
when you find out the faced mechons are pilots by people.
So it's kind of an in-game spoiler, but that twist was pretty heavily hinted at from the beginning anyway.

And not being able to move while choosing arts isn't really a big deal. Much easier to overlook than the camera issues for the remote+nunchuck.

legend166

Why does the best armour I have at the moment for Sharla have to be the oil one which means she wears nothing but underwear?

I'm playing this on my PC in a lounge room where all my family can see, dammit. It looks so stupid.

Gambit

Quick question about skill trees. I am still rocking a naked Dunban and my left skill tree is now almost full. So now, I'd like to switch him to a different skill tree. My question is, will this make his agility fall again? In other words, does the skill tree itself have any significance apart from the individual skills it teaches you?

Oh and one more: If I put something weight reducing on him, can I at least give him pants? Poor guy, always with shrinkage...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gambit said:
Quick question about skill trees. I am still rocking a naked Dunban and my left skill tree is now almost full. So now, I'd like to switch him to a different skill tree. My question is, will this make his agility fall again? In other words, does the skill tree itself have any significance apart from the individual skills it teaches you?

Oh and one more: If I put something weight reducing on him, can I at least give him pants? Poor guy, always with shrinkage...

He keeps everything which has been unlocked from the skill tree. He doesnt gain anything from having a certain skill tree activated if its already full.

Btw, that series in your avatar... they really could hurry up with the second mini season :p

Okay, up to M
echonis
F
ield. What, this isn't even a field! I'm getting burned out here. Just had the encounter with Gadolt and met Egil's sister. Do the areas get interesting again soon?

I'm currently level 62, at 61 hours.

Gambit

Toma said:
He keeps everything which has been unlocked from the skill tree. He doesnt gain anything from having a certain skill tree activated if its already full.

Btw, that series in your avatar... they really could hurry up with the second mini season :p

Thanks, then I know how to proceed.

And I agree wholeheartedly. It is getting high time for more Sherlock. Especially with Watson being Bilbo!

wsippel

Banned
Toma said:

Each tree has one base skill that's only active as long as that particular tree is selected.

Gambit

wsippel said:
Each tree has one base skill that's only active as long as that particular tree is selected.

Oh so it does make a difference. Hmm, well maybe I'll only put Dunban on other skill trees when he's not an active party member. Thanks again

Android18a said:
Okay, up to M
echonis
F
ield. What, this isn't even a field! I'm getting burned out here. Just had the encounter with Gadolt and met Egil's sister. Do the areas get interesting again soon?

That part of the game is indeed a bit rough and samey, but the next area is really well done and will confront you with some nasty enemies that will attack you in a way that's completely new to the game. How about doing some questing if you feel burned out from the main storyline?

Just got 7th and and am in the Hidden Village, though I'm off to explore the outside now, I'm enjoying how everything looks. Got beaten severely at several points though, I got ambushed by a wolf pack on multiple occasions.

Discovered last night that Affinity Coins actually do something. It only took 60ish hours. >_>

Temrer

Neo Member
magicalsoundshower said:
How about doing some questing if you feel burned out from the main storyline?

Do this. Seriously. I wasn't fussed around that part of the game myself, so I went and unlocked all of the 4th Skill Trees and did a bunch of quests to up party Affinity instead :D It's nice to have the option to cleanse your palate and hunt some Deinos :D

Just beware -- the spreadsheet is (understandably) filled to the brim with unmarked spoilers. Even just visiting the page could spoil certain aspects of the game. So proceed with caution.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Android18a said:
Okay, up to M
echonis
F

Not sure what you would consider interesting, but I'd say probably not. Most of the areas left are pretty linear dungeon types. Only exception is a couple areas after that one, but that one isn't especially interesting.

RPGCrazied

Now that I have this beat, like a month or so ago, I really should try and fight some of the tougher monsters in the game. I only manage to get to level 83 though.

Philia

RPGCrazied said:
Now that I have this beat, like a month or so ago, I really should try and fight some of the tougher monsters in the game. I only manage to get to level 83 though.

There's good amount of Gogols wandering about in Bionis Leg/Satorl Marsh that can help build some levels. Head into Tephra Cave when you're level 90s or so and those things will help your levels too.

Got the game recently (this last Friday), really digging the combat and Shulk didn't turn out to be the annoying main character that I expected. So it is all good.

Just made it to
Saturl Marsh
, and there are waaay too many monsters that give a hard time, I'm level 27-26. Mostly those monsters with red marks on them.

daakusedo said:
I have no quest waiting but I learn Zaelle Argentis can go to colony 6, don't know what to do...
People can only be invited once you've met conditions like Nature level x, housing level y so if there someone who sounds like they can go but won't give you the option you need to level them further. Usually the dialogue they say gives you clues as to which one needs leveling. It is
Housing level 5 and Don Argentis in Colony 6 (he needs housing level 4 and nature level 4).

Also there are some pairs which are one or the other...
Zel Argentis and her sister, En Argentis are one such of these
as you found out anyway...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Philia said:
There's good amount of Gogols wandering about in Bionis Leg/Satorl Marsh that can help build some levels. Head into Tephra Cave when you're level 90s or so and those things will help your levels too.
Telethia in Alcamoth
are probably the best bet from 80 to about 88 or so. Lots of enemies from 85-90.

Then of course Tephra Cave. Not many other 90s I can think of, the Deinos Sauros are good though. I was getting 100k+ experience off those even at level 98.

sublimit

Banned
Can someone help me with an Alcamoth quest?:/
The quest asks you to collect 5 Orluga Grass Skirts from Orluga in Makna forest and i've been killing Orlugas for more than an hour now and still can't find the items...
Am i missing something here?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
sublimit said:
The quest asks you to collect 5 Orluga Grass Skirts from Orluga in Makna forest and i've been killing Orlugas for more than an hour now and still can't find the items...
Dedeba might trade them, and the Nopon Sage will give them for overtrade, but you might not be able to get it that way yet.

Which ones are you killing? The first ones you encounter in the forest drop them, not sure if the later ones by the Hodes do.

thomaser

sublimit said:

Perhaps you need to kill a specific Orluga? I got one of those Grass Skirts yesterday, but don't remember from which enemy. Some kinds of Orlugas only stay in very specific places, like the Terra Orlugas, which are only found on a small plateau only reachable by the walkways.

sublimit

Banned
^I discovered these platforms with the Terra Orlugas today,but i didn't got any skirts by killing them...:/
chaosblade said:
Dedeba might trade them, and the Nopon Sage will give them for overtrade, but you might not be able to get it that way yet.
Ah thanks,i'll try that!

chaosblade said:
Which ones are you killing? The first ones you encounter in the forest drop them, not sure if the later ones by the Hodes do.
Everyone lol.I start from the ones near the village entrance and then proceed to the most southeastern areas of the map.

Btw
how can i enter the hode lair?I kill the two Orlugas guarding it but i can't enter the fence...

Hiltz

sublimit said:

You can find the Terra Orluga enemy during the day at Frontier Village's Entrance. I'm not sure, but you may need to get them to drop the second rare blue chest in order to get the right item if you are not getting the proper ones from the brown chests.

sublimit said:
Btw
how can i enter the hode lair?I kill the two Orlugas guarding it but i can't enter the fence...

There's a quest for this that comes up later. It's done by doing a couple of quests from
Leku and Kilaki in Frontier Village near the Archaeology floor.

sublimit

Banned
Hiltz said:
You can find the Terra Orluga enemy during the day at Frontier Village's Entrance. I'm not sure, but you may need to get them to drop the second rare blue chest in order to get the right item if you are not getting the proper ones from the brown chests.

There's a quest for this that comes up later. It's done by doing a couple of quests from
Leku and Kilaki in Frontier Village near the Archaeology floor.
I see...thanks!

Edit:Just got the Orluga skirts
from overtrading with Dedeba!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anabuhabkuss said:
Oh, Gaf.

The stretch from
Sword Valley
to whatever fortress is just downright boring me. Now I'm at a boss fight with
mumkhar/metal face
and his troops and find myself having a harder time fighting him there the confrontation just an hour ago on
Valek Mountain.

Btw, is that a full blown fight or does it get interrupted by a cutscene?
Doesn't really get any better once you're inside, but it's a short area. The one after it is pretty nice though.

And I don't think that fight gets interrupted. As with most story battles, I can't say I had any problem with that, mained Shulk and took out his buddies, Dunban focused on
Mumkhar, which felt so right
, and Sharla did whatever the hell she felt like.

The Hermit

Dead said:
BY GAWD, WHAT!?!

This game...THIS GAME!

fuck me, 100hrs in and I am still getting spoiled by this thread :(

I´ll just return when I have completly finished it.

Philia

Baiano19 said:
fuck me, 100hrs in and I am still getting spoiled by this thread :(

I´ll just return when I have completly finished it.

Actually, its not really a spoiler but something you could actually miss if you're not doing sidequests or that further along in town's affinity. There wasn't anything more out of that conversation.

And as of today, I finally beaten all Unique Monsters. :D :D :D

I've more trouble with the Mechon than Abaasy or Balzagas. But yeah, they're a snap with Melia. Melia's awesome.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Unique monster help:

I'm trying to beat level 98 Firework Geldesia in
Tephra Cave
. The bastard causes daze when he hist you and when you hit it.

Any tips?

Witchfinder General said:
Unique monster help:

Tephra Cave

Any tips?
Daze Resist gems? Shulk's Monado Purge might also work temporarily.

Clevinger said:
Some of the heavy armor looks so dumb. My Reyn right now is wearing this weird hammerhead armor and he looks so ridiculous in cutscenes.
Yes, many of the armors are ridiculous. I have a sort of hierarchy for which characters get the goofiest armor:

Dunban: Cool looking stuff (cape required)
M
elia
, Shulk: Silly, but not too silly.
Sharla, Reyn: Best remaining armor, silliness notwithstanding. So, usually very ridiculous.
R
iki
: Whatever will equip.
7th
: Not that far yet due to skill tree related sidequesting.

Unique monster help:

Tephra Cave

Any tips?
Yep, I'm going to second the daze resist/purge strategy. If you equip haste gems and max out Purge, you should be able to easily take it down just by auto-attacking and spamming Purge. It's a boring fight that way, but you'll win.

flyover

Dead said:
lol, I love how this game is making me buy armor for the character I never use in battle (Reyn) just so he appears consistent in the cutscenes...
Yeah, I frequently armored my characters with sub-optimal (but still good) equipment, based on the look of it.

Reyn was actually my one exception to this. Because he's kind of goofy himself, I didn't mind if he looked a bit silly -- most of the time.

One character had some late-game armor I particularly liked for its stats and the attached gem, but I just couldn't make her wear it, because of how jiggly and ridiculous she looked in cutscenes. (I tell myself I would've done the same, even if my wife hadn't been watching me play through the entire game...)

tinders

Last weekend I had what I thought was a rather productive play session - just concentrated on story and went from inside S
word
V
alley
to the battle with G
adolt

Then I decided to go back and do some questing, only to find that
Sword Valley, Galahad Fortress, Mechonis Field and Mechonis Core are all completely off limits. What the fuck?
Has totally shattered me. Sure those areas are a little same-ish, but I had quests and landmarks to find. Devastated.

I got so paranoid that I have spent about 15 hours this past week just running around all the early Bionis areas finishing up quests just in case.

Oh well just gonna hammer through the rest of the story now (just beat
Egil
). Will have to be more careful with my progression in New Game +.

At Level 70 btw. How much further do I have roughly?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
tinders said:
Last weekend I had what I thought was a rather productive play session - just concentrated on story and went from inside S
word
V
alley
to the battle with G
adolt

Then I decided to go back and do some questing, only to find that
Sword Valley, Galahad Fortress, Mechonis Field and Mechonis Core are all completely off limits. What the fuck?
Has totally shattered me. Sure those areas are a little same-ish, but I had quests and landmarks to find. Devastated.

I got so paranoid that I have spent about 15 hours this past week just running around all the early Bionis areas finishing up quests just in case.

Oh well just gonna hammer through the rest of the story now (just beat
Egil
). Will have to be more careful with my progression in New Game +.

At Level 70 btw. How much further do I have roughly?

Eh don't worry about it. In fact, not completing anything gives you a good incentive to replay this game. I have completed all that is to be completed in Xenoblade and this really dampen my intention to replay the game again. In fact, I suggest you just rush through to the end and save all the uncompleted sidequests for your new game + so at the very least you have something to look forward into during your next playthrough.

As for where you are right now, you have 2 more dungeons to go (well... maybe technically 3 but the last one is just a really short straight line)

SecretMoblin said:
Yep, I'm going to second the daze resist/purge strategy. If you equip haste gems and max out Purge, you should be able to easily take it down just by auto-attacking and spamming Purge. It's a boring fight that way, but you'll win.

Heh. By the time I got to fight it I was too lazy to craft full daze resist gems, I settled with a 90% daze resist on my aggro dealer and that's it. Spent the fight running around the battlefield as Melia casting poison damage with Earth elemental. Pretty funny stuff.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
SecretMoblin said:

I ended beating him by adding daze resist gems and using Sharla to heal whilst blasting him from a distance using Mellia.

I ended beating him by adding daze resist gems and using Sharla to heal whilst blasting him from a distance using Mellia.
Good!

I hated that fight, especially since I had Melia as my main from the moment I had access to her straight through to the end of the game. I really, really didn't like giving her up for that fight, but I was too lazy to craft all those gems and try a topple/chain strategy.

Top Bottom