• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Philia

Anyone have tips on "Firing on all cylinders" achievement? I thought I've had it with 7th and Riki several times but yet no dice?

Dead

well not really...yet
Just got done with PI :0 :0

So, is
Metal Face the 3rd guy that Dunban was fighting alongside with in the opening battle at Sword Valley that ran away like a coward?
?? omg

Dead said:
Just got done with PI :0 :0

So, is
Metal Face the 3rd guy that Dunban was fighting alongside with in the opening battle at Sword Valley that ran away like a coward?
?? omg
Do you really want to know yet?

..........YES..........

ajim

Playing the game at the moment (thoroughly enjoying it - heading towards
colony 6
at the moment) after stopping for awhile, and trying to get back into it. But, a couple of questions:

During a battle sometimes the action will stop and it'll ask me to press 'b' as a circle shrinks. What is this? And when is the best time to press 'b' on my control?

Also, during a battle and I get that
future attack shown from an enemy
, how do I go about stopping it? I keep getting confused/lost within the battle system and it's menus.

Dead

well not really...yet
ajim said:
colony 6
at the moment) after stopping for awhile, and trying to get back into it. But, a couple of questions:

During a battle sometimes the action will stop and it'll ask me to press 'b' as a circle shrinks. What is this? And when is the best time to press 'b' on my control?

, how do I go about stopping it? I keep getting confused/lost within the battle system and it's menus.
Pressing B at the right time fills up your Tri-attack combo meter, so you can do a successive attack with all 3 party meters

For the 2nd part, you can stop it by thinking about how to best stay alive, lol. Heal, shield, attack if enemy is almost dead, etc.

ajim

Dead said:
Pressing B at the right time fills up your Tri-attack combo meter, so you can do a successive attack with all 3 party meters

For the 2nd part, you can stop it by thinking about how to best stay alive, lol. Heal, shield, attack if enemy is almost dead, etc.
Thanks.

Whats the 'right' time to press 'b' then?

ajim said:
colony 6

If I recall correctly, there are in-game tutorials for both of these features that you can access from the menu. They'll probably give a much better (and shorter) answer than we can.

The "correct" time to hit the 'b' is when the red circle is exactly the same size as the white circle. If you're late, and the red circle is inside the white circle, you'll get a smaller bonus. If you're early, and the red circle is outside the white circle, you won't get any bonus at all. This prompt serves several functions in battle:
-it gives you various bonuses at the start of a battle, including a tension boost, depending on which skills you have obtained
-it allows you to keep a combo going during a combo attack
-some arts let you keep an attack going if you time the prompt right
-it fills the party gauge up a certain amount, letting you perform a chain attack when completely filled
...there are a few more, but you get the idea. It's important to time it right, as the stat boosts can be immensely useful during a battle.

As for the second part, you can stop it a few ways:
-use one of Shulk's abilities, which is expressly designed to stop those kinds of enemy attacks
-go near an ally and you will be prompted to press 'b'; you can then select an ally's art to use. This is mainly useful for redirecting aggro, but if the enemy's weak enough you can finish it off with an ally's art.

Mael

Just went back home and just received the artbook
photo in ultra hd(I don't know how to resize the pics...I know) on the way I guess

daakusedo

I was wondering why the speed corset was so much mentionned in the artbook.
Now I understand, it has an originality for the back, that you thought reserved to Sharla.

ajim

SecretMoblin said:
If I recall correctly, there are in-game tutorials for both of these features that you can access from the menu. They'll probably give a much better (and shorter) answer than we can.

The "correct" time to hit the 'b' is when the red circle is exactly the same size as the white circle. If you're late, and the red circle is inside the white circle, you'll get a smaller bonus. If you're early, and the red circle is outside the white circle, you won't get any bonus at all. This prompt serves several functions in battle:
-it gives you various bonuses at the start of a battle, including a tension boost, depending on which skills you have obtained
-it allows you to keep a combo going during a combo attack
-some arts let you keep an attack going if you time the prompt right
-it fills the party gauge up a certain amount, letting you perform a chain attack when completely filled
...there are a few more, but you get the idea. It's important to time it right, as the stat boosts can be immensely useful during a battle.

As for the second part, you can stop it a few ways:
-use one of Shulk's abilities, which is expressly designed to stop those kinds of enemy attacks
-go near an ally and you will be prompted to press 'b'; you can then select an ally's art to use. This is mainly useful for redirecting aggro, but if the enemy's weak enough you can finish it off with an ally's art.
Thanks, man. All makes a little more sense now :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Philia said:
Anyone have tips on "Firing on all cylinders" achievement? I thought I've had it with 7th and Riki several times but yet no dice?
Max affinity between all your characters and you should qualify for that pretty much every time you craft gems.

Mael

Oh for fuck's sake!
To finally get the artbook and then realize that I miss the power cord of my scanner/printer AND the whole thing allowing me to transfer files from my camera to my cpu....
you can thank photobook on my mbp or I'd not even be able to get any capture...
j5z91d.jpg

23kol03.jpg

It is shock full of spoilers too

Mael

ehm3c.jpg

5o4sh.jpg

30mb8ux.jpg

this one is a spoiler so I'd advise no one to actually see it till they're VERY FAR
http://i41.tinypic.com/2h54qs5.jpg
spkz0w.jpg

It's 250 pages,
there's a chart showing the interaction with all the main chars....that's ultra spoiler so I don't think I even want to glance at it...although I spoiled myself that way.
there's a list of ALL the secondary named characters and info on them.
A supplementary scenario for background
I think there's an item list.
there's story board for important scenes
and more and more
In short THANK YOU NOE.

edit: Oh FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
All the images are in reversed! Damn that laptop camera
redit: reuped the non reversed images
Oh and it's all in French btw....there's also the list of the battle VA (the photo full of text in reverse is that)

The Hermit

Oh god this is awesome!!

level 69 , 99 hours in... is going to beat Endless Ocean 2 as my most played game ins single mode ever (101hr in that one)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wish there was an English version, I'd definitely jump on that. Would have been nice to get the preorder posters too, oh well.

Baiano19 said:
Oh god this is awesome!!

level 69 , 99 hours in... is going to beat Endless Ocean 2 as my most played game ins single mode ever (101hr in that one)
I think my play time almost doubled the previous highest.

aett

A link to all the scans from the Japanese version of the book were posted two pages back.

Anyway, I beat lv 105 unique four times to get all the gems I needed. Now, I guess I'll try the next strongest unique. I'm starting to get mildly depressed that there's not much left to do in the game, even though I'm at over 120 hours!

Mael

aett said:
A link to all the scans from the Japanese version of the book were posted two pages back.

Anyway, I beat lv 105 unique four times to get all the gems I needed. Now, I guess I'll try the next strongest unique. I'm starting to get mildly depressed that there's not much left to do in the game, even though I'm at over 120 hours!
Ah?
Well I guess I can stop caring about the shitty scans I guess :p
I think that's for the better though I stumbled on a page where there's basically a huge spoiler regarding the Monado.

Twilight Princess said:
how can i get this book??? drool...
It's a contest where they picked up the 1000 first people who registered Xenoblade on Nintendo.fr site.
at this point unless you work for them I don't think it's available anywhere...unless it's getting sold on ebay.
I know I'll keep mine though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
aett said:

I found the next highest one to be the second hardest, but I fought it without Night Vision gems. The 105 and 114(?) are stupidly easy if you just topple lock them. That won't work on the 108 and 120 enemy though, from my experience.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't work on those two when I tried, the topple usually only lasted a couple seconds after my chain attacks ended, with topple plus gems. So the enemy was getting some attacks off before I could finish filling my party gauge again.

That still helped, but they weren't locked like the others that never got back up even after I'd go 5+ seconds without activating another chain.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It depends on luck most of the time. If you get enough chains you can literally roll one into another which is just wrong.

aett

I beat the lv 108 guy without any trouble just a minute ago. The level 114 guy is a pain, though. I can slowly whittle his HP down, but eventually I get stomped into submission. Guess I'll try making some Topple gems, but maybe I'll beat the game first.

Philia

My party is at max affinity. :(

Just to make sure, I'm at lv 99 and Riki is linked to Shulk's Fever skill and unfortunately the 7th can't link to it. I liked her for having 3 cylinders to start. I've gotten up to 9 (as in taking away 9 cylinders) but yet the achievement wouldn't unlock. Ditto with Sharla/Riki combination. I imagine I'll shoot for 10 cylinders for this to happen I guess.

Anyway, thanks for responding, I was beginning to think I'm on ignore in here.

Clevinger

Some of the heavy armor looks so dumb. My Reyn right now is wearing this weird hammerhead armor and he looks so ridiculous in cutscenes.

Hiltz

Clevinger said:
Some of the heavy armor looks so dumb. My Reyn right now is wearing this weird hammerhead armor and he looks so ridiculous in cutscenes.

Heh, I always thought that too. Some of the other helmets have bothered me too like the shell-like bucket helmets Shulk can wear that make him look silly. Sharla has the weird curly hats that I always tried to avoid equipping unless the stat boost were worthwhile. It's also hard to take any of the characters seriously when they wear glasses.

Philia

Clevinger said:

Agreed. I hated just about all head gear in that game. But wait til you unlock Riki's Heavy Armor equips. The stuff he equips is hilarious! Especially Titan and Eclipse.

aett

Since the toppling strategies sound kinda lame and very unlike the strategies I've been using over the course of 124 hours of gameplay, I decided to just beat the game. The ending was pretty amazing. Time to finally, FINALLY, read spoilers. :)

I haven't been in this thread in ages, but I had to leave my Wii at home whilst I've came to Uni so I haven't had a chance to play the game for the last 6-7 weeks. I left myself at the beginnings of (75% location)
Agniratha
, but other the past week I've really want to play the game, but I'm not going to have the chance to do so for another 4-5 weeks, so... I decided to just watch the end on Youtube and then play it for myself over Christmas.

ENDGAME SPOILERS: HOLY SHIT. So much to digest.
Loved all the twists about Egil's real ambitions, the truth about Zanza and Bionis etc. But the one that took me back the most was Alvis' flashback to the creation of the current universe and realising that it was created by the scientists on a space station in, presumably, a future version of your universe! Followed by the revelation that Alvis was the computer on the space station, and so the parameters of Meyneth and Zanza's universe, my mouth was literally on the floor.

So I finished the game last week and I thought I'd share the love by reselling it on Amazon (under the Japanese version) for anybody who still hasn't played it in the US for cheap.

Overall, I'll remember Xenoblade for it's incredible world. More specifically, the Bionis. The story was decent, but in the end, I didn't find it anything special. This is basically the third time we've had TT tell the same story, and honestly, I think this is the weakest version, even if it is somewhat the most complete. Overall, great game though, and I'm definitely glad I played it.

Gvaz

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
So I finished the game last week and I thought I'd share the love by reselling it on Amazon (under the Japanese version) for anybody who still hasn't played it in the US for cheap.

Overall, I'll remember Xenoblade for it's incredible world. More specifically, the Bionis. The story was decent, but in the end, I didn't find it anything special. This is basically the third time we've had TT tell the same story, and honestly, I think this is the weakest version, even if it is somewhat the most complete. Overall, great game though, and I'm definitely glad I played it.

Having only played Xenosaga series, This was completely fresh to me while still being familiar in some places. I'm completely okay with that.

Leeness

Shulk, get in there!

Also, I enjoy that TT tells the same thing over, in a way, because he can go back and fix it, yet it's still fresh (cause he has to keep leaving his series behind at a different company haha).

And, to me, I enjoyed this incarnation the most. It was more simple but the writing was much stronger, it was complete, it just all came together so well. :)

Top Bottom