• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Gambit

Finally! Very quickly leveled up to 75 (from 71) fighting the gorilla things around the bridge on Bionis Leg. That made all the difference. I still had to manually call my teammates to me so they wouldn't end up in the ether, but I prevailed without much trouble.

Yippie.
Lorithia went down almost by herself. I was still fighting the orbs, but appearantly Melia wouldn't have any of that and killed her step-mom while I didn't even watch. Shame. Good riddance, anyhow!.

Gambit said:
Finally! Very quickly leveled up to 75 (from 71) fighting the gorilla things around the bridge on Bionis Leg. That made all the difference. I still had to manually call my teammates to me so they wouldn't end up in the ether, but I prevailed without much trouble.

Yippie.
Lorithia went down almost by herself. I was still fighting the orbs, but appearantly Melia wouldn't have any of that and killed her step-mom while I didn't even watch. Shame. Good riddance, anyhow!.
I thought Lorithia was the person in charge in technology or something like that and that the step-mom was other. Did the step mom disappear after getting caught trying to kill Melia?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
deathkiller said:
I thought Lorithia was the person in charge in technology or something like that and that the step-mom was other. Did the step mom disappear after getting caught trying to kill Melia?
You know I always wondered
what happened to her. Do we just assume she turned into a Telethia like the other High Entias did?

Melia's my girl. Mained her from the moment I got her all the way through the final boss, with the exception of an unfortunate romp through
Sword Valley
, which required me to main Shulk.

Gambit

deathkiller said:

Oh yes, you are probably right! I somehow turned them into one single character, seeing as
the first consort was simply gone after a while. So my incredible freak-out when Lorithia kissed what I thought was her son was unjustified. Mostly.

Edit: Just looked it up on the Xenoblade Wiki
The party will get wind of a powerful Telethia sighted in Makna Forest, which they defeat, initially thinking it to be a transformed Tyrea (the High-Entia woman whose mask you knock off). However Tyrea soon appears unscathed and reveals the Telethia was actually her mother, Yumea (that's Kalian's mother), and thanks them for granting her peace.

Oxx

SecretMoblin said:
Melia's my girl. Mained her from the moment I got her all the way through the final boss, with the exception of an unfortunate romp through
Sword Valley
, which required me to main Shulk.

I used her a lot from around that point, but it seemed like whenever I ended-up in a tricky battle, switching her out for Shulk made the difference.

It's just a shame that most of the armour available to Melia looks hideous.

Cheska

Gambit said:
I like the gameplay, but I keep playing for the story, the characters and the world itself. That's also why I only do the sidequests I encounter along the main path. Not going out of my way for them, because I am more interested in how the story continues.

Mistle said:
Yep, I would say this also. Had heaps of fun playing it, but the world, characters and story is what made me gladly invest 80 hours into it.

Great! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear :)

Oxx

Sweet. Now I have remembered my Gaf password I can log-in to the mobile app and complain loudly about that boss fight while I'm playing through it.

I swear, a solid 20% of the post-launch posts have been about that fight. Can we get RPGCrazied back in here?

Confession time: I was way overleveled for it, and I died the first time. Second time was a cinch, though.

Oxx

RPGCrazied's post total in this thread is one of those unbreakable records. Like Cy Young's win total.

Especially if Gvaz is still banned.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
SecretMoblin said:
I swear, a solid 20% of the post-launch posts have been about that fight. Can we get RPGCrazied back in here?

Confession time: I was way overleveled for it, and I died the first time. Second time was a cinch, though.
Funny thing is, I don't remember him posting nearly as much after he got the game.

I was pretty much the right level (74 I think) and beat it on my first try with Shulk, Sharla, 7th. And pretty easily at that, only had one character go down (7th) due to getting pushed in the ether. Still wouldn't recommend that party unless you know what you're getting into since you're relying primarily on physical attacks against an enemy resistant to them.

Gambit

YES!

Finished the game five minutes ago! It was fantastic is my first reaction. I still have to collect my thoughts a bit.

End-boss spoilers
I beat him with my now trusted team of Shulk/Dunban/7th. I died twice during the second phase, but it was relatively smooth sailing. It was increidble how fast that team builds up the chain attacks. I don't think Zanza was prepared for what hit him. Especially if I was lucky enough that Fiora had her central art available. When my chain was at its max-level that attack really worked well!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gambit said:
YES!

Finished the game five minutes ago! It was fantastic is my first reaction. I still have to collect my thoughts a bit.

End-boss spoilers
I beat him with my now trusted team of Shulk/Dunban/7th. I died twice during the second phase, but it was relatively smooth sailing. It was increidble how fast that team builds up the chain attacks. I don't think Zanza was prepared for what hit him. Especially if I was lucky enough that Fiora had her central art available. When my chain was at its max-level that attack really worked well!
Thought it was kind of a let-down, pretty easy compared to some of the other battles. Which art are you referring to by the way,
Sword Drones X? That one is crazy, although I made good use of Cannon Drones a few times.

Wow, I think I got screwed.
I was doing a quest in Frontier Village where a nopon said that she was smelling something awful, then I talk to her dad( I think) who asks me to search for some common items in Bionis' Leg or a 2 rare ones in Makna, they show a vision that pretty much says "get the one in Makna Forest", but I already had the other items and the game autochecked.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sgt.Pepper said:
Wow, I think I got screwed.
I was doing a quest in Frontier Village where a nopon said that she was smelling something awful, then I talk to her dad( I think) who asks me to search for some common items in Bionis' Leg or a 2 rare ones in Makna, they show a vision that pretty much says "get the one in Makna Forest", but I already had the other items and the game autochecked.

I got done in for the exact same reason you mentioned, but don't worry; neither of the outcomes is "bad" in any major way, just one has a slightly negative connotation to it. The rewards are the same from what I know.

Gambit

chaosblade said:
Thought it was kind of a let-down, pretty easy compared to some of the other battles. Which art are you referring to by the way,
Sword Drones X? That one is crazy, although I made good use of Cannon Drones a few times.

Yes,
Sword Drones X. She hits multiple times with it and basically annihilated Zanza herself.

SecretMoblin said:
Congrats!

Thank you! I do not regret powering through now. I was just really into the story towards the end.

Oxx

I've levelled a couple of times going through the canyon part of the Bionis' Leg. I'll have another crack at that boss tonight.

Just ordered Xenoblade from Game. It should hopefully arrive by the time I finish exams, then peaceful bliss with it and Skyrim during the winter break.

Gambit

Just going through the thread, trying to find people talking about the ending. It seems quite
controversial. For the record, I liked it. Of course, I have played the other Takahashi games and somehow expected weird twists and religious overtones. It wouldn't be a "xeno-game" without them! If anything, I thought it was reasonably concise and clear in this one.

The only thing that bothered me was that after relaunching the universe yet again, all the people from Bionis seem to have been transplanted into the new universe. It was tied up a little too nicely. On the other hand, what would have been the alternative? Letting everyone die? That would have been even less satisfactory.

So, yes, I am fine with how it developed. I actually liked Klaus Zanza as a scientist (that is now his full name in my opinion).

If ever the Xenoblade Chronicles continue I would not mind either exploring other created worlds or (best case scenario) a Godfather II-type story: half sequel, half prequel. Like you alternate between playing Zanza and Shulk and see how both use technology etc.
Of course, such a heavy emphasis on continuity would limit the potential sales.

I wonder, by the way, if the religion part of the plot was one of the arguments against an American localisation. You do loudly proclaim a world that doesn't need a God after all. I could see that being a factor.

Last thoughts: Kos-Mos-Fiora was awesome. Shame she was back to normal at the end. (it's understandable, though.)

After having finished it now, I can only hope that Last Story won't be too much of a let-down. Of course, I am already aware how different it is, so it shouldn't be a problem. One thing Nintendo could do to minimise any potential disappointment: Use the same localisation studio!

I want more Reyn-time, hope that someone makes my rifle get hotter and will simply press on and on and on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gambit said:
Just going through the thread, trying to find people talking about the ending. It seems quite
controversial. For the record, I liked it. Of course, I have played the other Takahashi games and somehow expected weird twists and religious overtones. It wouldn't be a "xeno-game" without them! If anything, I thought it was reasonably concise and clear in this one.

The only thing that bothered me was that after relaunching the universe yet again, all the people from Bionis seem to have been transplanted into the new universe. It was tied up a little too nicely. On the other hand, what would have been the alternative? Letting everyone die? That would have been even less satisfactory.

So, yes, I am fine with how it developed. I actually liked Klaus Zanza as a scientist (that is now his full name in my opinion).

If ever the Xenoblade Chronicles continue I would not mind either exploring other created worlds or (best case scenario) a Godfather II-type story: half sequel, half prequel. Like you alternate between playing Zanza and Shulk and see how both use technology etc.
Of course, such a heavy emphasis on continuity would limit the potential sales.

I wonder, by the way, if the religion part of the plot was one of the arguments against an American localisation. You do loudly proclaim a world that doesn't need a God after all. I could see that being a factor.

Last thoughts: Kos-Mos-Fiora was awesome. Shame she was back to normal at the end. (it's understandable, though.)

After having finished it now, I can only hope that Last Story won't be too much of a let-down. Of course, I am already aware how different it is, so it shouldn't be a problem. One thing Nintendo could do to minimise any potential disappointment: Use the same localisation studio!

I want more Reyn-time, hope that someone makes my rifle get hotter and will simply press on and on and on.

Regarding your localization + ending comment,
Nintendo of America published Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, which had similar undertones at the end. Maybe Xenoblade is more aggressive about it with the "we don't need gods" thing, I don't remember how RD handled it exactly. I doubt that made a difference.

ShaneB

Started this a couple days ago and about 5 hours in. Having a blast so far, really loving the combat system, and the voice over work has been really surprising (a shame about lip syncing though).

It's been a good change of pace from Dark Souls. While I love Dark Souls, it just gets to a point where I hate the game as much as I love it. I've been enjoying Xenoblade a bunch so far just because it just feels a lot more lively, instead of Dark Souls which feels completely empty. So many quests too, damn.. but do they ever start to feel more substantial? Seems like I get quests and forget about them before I realize I've completed them. I guess that's an issue with quest descriptions being kinda vague sometimes and therefore getting lost in the shuffle.

The graphics have been nice so far, with the occaisonal bad texture sticking out like a sore thumb, but the design and art style are top notch, it'll be nice to get out and explore and see some of those vistas that showcase the game's beauty.

Complaints outside the game and playing this on Wii, man it feels lonely not having a friends list or something while I play. ( this is just me nitpicking)

Takuan

My component cable came in earlier this week, so I popped this in and gave it a shot. I finally understand what the OT is about, heh. Didn't play very much of it, but I quite like the VA, battle system, and world design. It genuinely feels like a AAA title, and it's a shame NoA refuses to release it here.

Gambit

Oxx said:
Welp, Zelda dispatch email has arrived.

Sorry Xenoblade, you had a good run.

That just means you have to beat the post. You're so close!

In all honesty, I can understand your wanting to play Zelda, but it would be a bit of a shame to not see Xenoblade through.

Oxx

I have accepted that I'm not going to be able to finish Xenoblade any time soon so I'm currently doing quests in Colony 9. And it's great! One of the NPCs just said 'Excuuussee me, Princess'. I would have missed that had I gone straight to the end.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oxx said:
I have accepted that I'm not going to be able to finish Xenoblade any time soon so I'm currently doing quests in Colony 9. And it's great! One of the NPCs just said 'Excuuussee me, Princess'. I would have missed that had I gone straight to the end.
Aren't you at the final dungeon? Seems kind of silly to just give up at that point.

Besides, Zelda won't be as good as Xenoblade anyway :p

Oxx

I don't know if I'm in the final area.

Actually I'm just enjoying the new areas in Tephra Cave. Are there any other locations that open-up like that?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oxx said:
I don't know if I'm in the final area.

Actually I'm just enjoying the new areas in Tephra Cave. Are there any other locations that open-up like that?
You beat that boss right? If so you only have one dungeon left, it's a little long, but you should be able to do it in an afternoon unless you struggle with the final boss. He's not too tough though.

As for the second part, not really, but there is a quest item you get that you can use to explore a few other little things. Edit: Unless you count
Alcamoth
, you could visit that previously but it's certainly different now.

Zwei said:
Did we ever get an explanation as to why
chaosblade is still a junior member?
Actually, we haven't!
It's probably pretty complicated due to circumstances related to my approval here. I need to PM somebody about it but I don't really want to come off the wrong way. Maybe tomorrow or after the forum update this weekend.
A little off topic though.

Oxx

I'm just about to face her again.

I'm seven levels higher and I have better gems and equipment. If I get destroyed again it will be embarrassing.

peakish

Just got to Level 55, ~55 hours in, that is, I just got to
Machina Village on the Bionis Fallen Arm
and the game just went from good to great.

The reunite scenes were probably the best handled so far and Fiora seems like a blast to play, especially after having to fight so many mechons which I have to do with Shulk who's so boring.

Oxx

I actually won the fight quite easily (the second time). The first attempt was a bit of a farce, but all-out-attack won the day the next time.

On to the next location! Maybe I can finish in less than 100 hours. Around 96 at the moment.

Oxx said:
I actually won the fight quite easily (the second time). The first attempt was a bit of a farce, but all-out-attack won the day the next time.

On to the next location! Maybe I can finish in less than 100 hours. Around 96 at the moment.
Congrats on beating her!

If your only goal is to beat the game at this point, you should be able to do it. The final part is very straightforward.

ShaneB

I know it's likely always been said, but just had my introduction to the Gaur Plain. What a beautiful vista and wonderful area. A terrific 'Oh Wow...' moment.

edit: Quests galore... I'll never finish this game with my ocd :(

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought the game, had no idea what it was nor had I heard of it but all the praise it has gotten made me want to throw down some money and see what all the fuss was about.
It honestly doesn't look that great from what I've seen but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cheska

Andiie said:
It honestly doesn't look that great from what I've seen but I'm cautiously optimistic.

From what you've seen as far as watching videos or just a couple of hours of actually playing through?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Cheska said:
From what you've seen as far as watching videos or just a couple of hours of actually playing through?

Only from videos, haven't received it just yet. :)
I really have no idea what to expect lol. I think the fact that I know very little about the game other than what I've seen from videos makes me very excited to get my hands on the game and see what it's like.

Shiggie

On level 35 now. Game is like crack. I finally got the courage to explore the depths colony 9 and im still not strong enough yet. Man I love that. 5 page paper due tomorrow tho...

Cheska

Andiie said:
I really have no idea what to expect lol. I think the fact that I know very little about the game other than what I've seen from videos makes me very excited to get my hands on the game and see what it's like.

I just finalized the order myself, and I've done well to not over indulge in game media yet. Just asked a few questions in here, and maybe watched a video here in there.

Hopefully the Zavvi order arrives soon!

peakish

Andiie said:
I got a great tip in here: Switch your main character if you find the combat boring. Just about every new party member has been more fun to play than the last so far (though I've returned a lot to the third party member a lot as well). There's so much fighting in the game that switching these things up make a world of difference.

Zwei

I've only used component cables and Xenoblade looks pretty damn good on my HD set.
(I mean, you know, looks good for a Wii game)

Oxx

I've only used a SDTV for Xenoblade so far. I'm probably going to move the Wii to the HDTV in honour of Zelda today, so I'm curious as to what Xeno is going to look like blown-up to 42 inches.

Mr YuYu

Cheska said:
Are you guys using Wii Component cables to play or regular AV? Does component make that much of a big difference?

Its a big difference!!

It was definitly worth the 16 euro i payed for.
The standard Wii cable made everything looked washed out.
If i were you i would not hesitate!

Luigiv

Cheska said:
Are you guys using Wii Component cables to play or regular AV? Does component make that much of a big difference?
It makes a fairly noticeable difference in clarity, though how much so depends on the quality of the cable. They're analogue signals so external interference can make a big difference. More expensive cables (like the official first party ones) tend to have better shielding and therefore produce a really sharp image.

The biggest difference, though, will be for games that run at 60fps. In interlaced mode, the system only outputs 60 fields a second and each field is only half the actual resolution. So for a 30fps game, each frame is divided into 2 fields (preserving the full resolution) but at 60fps I believe you only get 1 field per frame so the game is effectively being outputted at half resolution (either that or the framerate is halved, I'm not 100% sure). However, in progressive scan mode the system can output the 60 full frames per second, so on that grounds it's definitely worth it.

Top Bottom