• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Ifrit

magicalsoundshower said:
Well, the PAL Wii Menu screen options let you choose between 50Hz and 60Hz mode, so I suppose most games also have a 50Hz and a 60Hz mode built in and for some reason Xenoblade defaults to 50Hz if you run it in Dolphin. The difference between 25 and 30fps is actually pretty drastic (25fps will already feel slightly jerky) and I'm 100% sure Xenoblade runs at the same frame rate no matter if you're using component cables (i. e. the only way to get the Wii to output progressive scan) or SCART/RBG cables.

Interesting tidbit: the PAL version of Metroid Prime lets you choose betwen "vanilla" PAL and PAL-60 when you boot up the game.

SO, I understand the issue is only present in Dolphing and older TV sets. In the actual hardware with the right options enabled that that wouldn't be a problem, right?

Kad5

I reeeaaaally want to play this game. From what i've heard it seems like it's the best jrpg ever or something.

Why doesn't NOA release this? I don't understand. It's been highly received wherever it's been released.

The reviews give the game enough recognition as it is.

beril

Beat the game yesterday. I had somehow assumed that there would be a postgame for some reason and that I would be able to do the highlevel quests after beating the final boss, so I was a bit bummed. Starting a new game+ isn't exactly that tempting. I'm guessing I have to redo all the tedious collectable/monster quests and build up the affinity chart from scratch in that case? At least I didn't save and overwrite my data after the game locked down, but also didn't save after a number of hours of questing and gathering before that. Don't know if I'll bother going back to it

Oxx

As soon as I get a dispatch email regarding Zelda I'm going to be shitting myself to get this finished.

I've (Level 69/89 hours spoilers)
just landed Junks in Colony Six after all those crazy story cut-scenes following the Egil battle.
Three days to go.

Luigiv

magicalsoundshower said:
Well, the PAL Wii Menu screen options let you choose between 50Hz and 60Hz mode, so I suppose most games also have a 50Hz and a 60Hz mode built in and for some reason Xenoblade defaults to 50Hz if you run it in Dolphin. The difference between 25 and 30fps is actually pretty drastic (25fps will already feel slightly jerky) and I'm 100% sure Xenoblade runs at the same frame rate no matter if you're using component cables (i. e. the only way to get the Wii to output progressive scan) or SCART/RBG cables.

Interesting tidbit: the PAL version of Metroid Prime lets you choose betwen "vanilla" PAL and PAL-60 when you boot up the game.
Lot's of PAL games did that last gen, not just Metroid Prime. The reason why modern games don't is because they handle it invisibly through the firmware options instead.

Ifrit said:
SO, I understand the issue is only present in Dolphing and older TV sets. In the actual hardware with the right options enabled that that wouldn't be a problem, right?
Yes the game runs in 60Hz mode no problem on the actual system, it's just a glitch in Dolphin.

Gambit

Oxx said:
As soon as I get a dispatch email regarding Zelda I'm going to be shitting myself to get this finished.

I've (Level 69/89 hours spoilers)
just landed Junks in Colony Six after all those crazy story cut-scenes following the Egil battle.
Three days to go.

I am at the same point in the story (with two levels less) and basically in the same preidcament regarding Zelda. It does feel very much like the end-game though, so I am sure we'll manage.

I loved all the crazy cut-scenes as you called them. This game just keeps raising the bar. The fact that Mechonis was actually struck down was very powerful.

Also, I feel so sorry for poor Melia. I almost hope Fiora dies. I mean, I like Fiora a lot, but Shulk has all but forgotten about Melly. When he held Fiora's hand and was running past Melia, I noticed again that I really care for the characters in this game and am quite invested in basically all the romances.

Oh yes, just wanted to mention that I am getting distinct (Xenosaga-) chaos-vibes from Alvis. We'll see how that turns out.

troushers

I've been playing this the loong way, with an hour or two every day, trying to complete every quest as I go. I'm somewhat ashamed to say I'm over 100 hours in, and I haven't finished the game yet. I'm about level 80-81, and a bunch of new areas have opened up with higher level monsters.

Major problem: I've got to finish by Friday when Zelda gets delivered.

I'm worried that if I finish the story arc, parts of the map will be locked off that I might need for colony 6 reconstruction items (already happened once). Or even worse, upon finishing the game I might not be able to go back and finish all the stuff I unlocked.

I only recently realised that you can tell if you have found every landmark, since the blacked out areas of the map are filled in once every place is discovered in an area. I wish I had realised this for the large bodies of water, swimming is boring.

One of the best games I've ever played. Wish I had it years ago when I had more free time.

This game needs:
1) Better documentation of where NPCs are - even their closest landmark as well as their active time of day on the relationship connections screen would have been very helpful
2) More collectible inventory space. Cleaning the fridge is no fun at all. I assume that items with a star over the bag may be quest items, whereas the ones with just a bag are ordinary and can be sold without any danger? It's a rule of thumb I've used for a while and I haven't ever sold anything important.
3) Better loot management. Pressing plus twice to work out what a gem will do is cumbersome when there is plenty of real estate on the screen to display that information. It's annoying that base stats aren't compared when swapping out armour, so my better armour without gems looks worse than it really is once I've swapped out the gems into my new threads.
4) Better gem management. Needs the ability to 'favourite' types of gems for easy selection. Sorting by attribute etc. isn't very helpful to find the one cool down gem or debuff gem you want to use. Or better yet, stack them, because the 7 or 8 Strength Up gems filling the row are just a pain to scroll through for the one Slow gem appearing after them.
5) Reset arts points. It inhibits you trying out new builds because once spent, the points are gone forever. The new skill that may or may not be useful once levelled up a bit gets ignored in favour of improving the ones you use all the time.

I'm worried that if I finish the story arc, parts of the map will be locked off that I might need for colony 6 reconstruction items (already happened once). Or even worse, upon finishing the game I might not be able to go back and finish all the stuff I unlocked.
Judging from your progress description there should be no more lock outs except for a really really obvious one right before the final battle (and should you happen to not notice it, you can't save normally beyond this point, so there's nothing to worry about).

After beating the game, minor spoilers(?)
you get to save a clear data file, which you can use for a New Game+ (although personally, I recommend just loading your pre-final boss save to return to the later areas quicker, the only real benefit of New Game+ is a shinier weapon for Shulk)

1) Better documentation of where NPCs are - even their closest landmark as well as their active time of day on the relationship connections screen would have been very helpful
I definitely agree with this point, although I'm a bit confused by your wording. The info you seem to be suggesting is there when you hover over a NPC.

magicalsoundshower said:

Almost every single PAL GCN game does that. You hold down the B button and an option comes up asking if you want to play in 50hz or 60hz (it's done exactly the same as the Progressive Scan option for you yanks)

Oxx

I still have on old save I could use to complete some of the quests I missed if I fancy going back.

We'll see if I have the inclination next year.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
BlazingDarkness said:
I suggest using Sharla to heal, have Shulk cast the Monado Art which will seal spike damage (Purge I believe) and have 7th pile on the damage, just remember spike damage can be very harsh when you topple him, main Shulk if you have to and just keep casting purge as soon as the bar has filled up
I must be the only one who had issues with purge not working during that fight. Maybe it was a bug.

Oxx

Makes sense.

But as I said, it was a good time to stop before my eyes melted.

How much more game after that point?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Depends. Technically you have one zone left but you also now have the option of doing a crap ton of new quests and such.

I see that this is quickly becoming the "oh god, I need to finish this before Zelda gets here!" thread.

So on that note... oh god, I need to finish this before Zelda gets here! Luckily (?) I bought that game on amazon, and they've been slow as hell at getting stuff shipped in the past. So I should have a few extra days. But it's going to be close.

Zornica

Banned
rushing xenoblade to be finished before skyward sword comes out is by far the biggest crime/insult possible. I really wouldn't do that. It just doesn't do the game justice, and makes it feel like some kind of fill-in. better taking a break and continuing after than rushing through and missing important stuff and content.

Hiltz

This is why I bought the game soon after it was released. With so much exploration and side quests to do, it was important to experience it thoroughly. It sucks to feel like you have to rush through a great game just so you can be ready in time to pick up the next highly anticipated title.

Zornica said:
rushing xenoblade to be finished before skyward sword comes out is by far the biggest crime/insult possible. I really wouldn't do that. It just doesn't do the game justice, and makes it feel like some kind of fill-in. better taking a break and continuing after than rushing through and missing important stuff and content.
Agreed!! I actually forced myself to stop playing this last weekend because it was so obvious that I couldn't finish this before Zelda without rushing through the main plot and skipping the sidequests. I decided to just pick up the 7th character and do a bit of questing before taking a break and leaving myself a big chunk of game to play after I finish Zelda. Don't know why I still click on this thread though, highlighting spoilers is too tempting!

thomaser

Elfforkusu said:
I see that this is quickly becoming the "oh god, I need to finish this before Zelda gets here!" thread.

Yep! I'll wait with Zelda until I have finished this. I just reached
Mechonis Field
after 75 hours or so. Been taking my time doing quests. Am I nearing the end?

thomaser said:
Mechonis Field
If you intend to do the future sidequests then you've still got a fair bit left yet, you could probably get like another 50 hours

MechaX

thomaser said:
Mechonis Field

Eh... You're probably about 65-70% through.

Codeblue

I hardly did any side quests from there onward, and it took me around 10 or 15 hours from there to beat the game if I'm remembering correctly. I wanted to do the quests, I just wanted to know how the story would end more, so there's that.

tinders

Zornica said:

Agreed. I've got Zelda pre-ordered, but it's getting wrapped up and placed under the Xmas tree. That gives me an extra 5 weeks of Xenoblade goodness.

Having said that, I'll probably spend those entire 5 weeks struggling with
Lorithia
. I hate that bitch.
Although having just realised that Melia has a topple attack, I think I may get a little closer now....Maybe.

Leeness

tinders said:
Agreed. I've got Zelda pre-ordered, but it's getting wrapped up and placed under the Xmas tree. That gives me an extra 5 weeks of Xenoblade goodness.

Having said that, I'll probably spend those entire 5 weeks struggling with
Lorithia
. I hate that bitch.
Although having just realised that Melia has a topple attack, I think I may get a little closer now....Maybe.

For that battle, which was driving me crazy, I leveled to 74, mained Melia and had Sharla and 7th. You have to be really up on the battle commands, especially Come To Me.

Set Sharla and 7th after the boss and use Melia to summon lightning and take out say, one or two of the orbs, then use an AOE attack to take out the others (otherwise Melia will pull aggro on all four and it's a pain). Then use the topple on the boss and go to town, rinse and repeat. And even though you use chains, make sure you have some bars at all time in case anyone falls, and if anyone runs out to the water, spam Come To Me until they're out.

Good luck :D

And I agree that it would be a disservice to Xenoblade to rush it to get to Zelda. Either find a place to stop for a bit or wait on Zelda.

I still miss playing this game :(

Like most JRPGs, leveling up can make that fight much, much more bearable. Thankfully, there are plenty of places where grinding out a few levels shouldn't take long.

And like Leeness said, get used to the battle commands. It can save you the frustration of having your party members needlessly dying on the edges of the arena.

Oxx

Seems like I have the general idea and personnel right, I just might need to concentrate on location and aggro more.

Leeness

The boss also likes to push people around a lot, especially into the water, so just make sure you're really paying attention to where they are. There's just a lot going on in that battle and it can get overwhelming keeping an eye on health, your aggro, the orbs, your party members and where they are, etc.

Level 74 was when it hit manageable to me and not a huge clusterfuck haha. 73 and under was just a pain.

And yeah, not saying you've rushed with 90 hours haha. But I guess it's just like...unfortunate you'd have "ONLY TWO DAYS TO ZELDA" on your mind during the last few hours. :(

Jomjom

Banned
A bit off-topic, but what's the game pricing trend in the EU? Is it like how it is in the US where games inevitably drop after 6 months or so? Looking to pick this up, but not at 29.99 GBP.

Bullza2o

RPGCrazied said:
Thank goodness I beat this months ago. :) Nice to be free for Zelda.
Yeah bro, same here!!
Though I'd like to try Xenoblade's NG+ sometime. Unlikely though as I'm getting 2-3 other games within the next month after Zelda (MK7, 3DLand, Skyrim).

Oxx

jling84 said:
A bit off-topic, but what's the game pricing trend in the EU? Is it like how it is in the US where games inevitably drop after 6 months or so? Looking to pick this up, but not at 29.99 GBP.

It's usually pretty drastic in the UK. If something bombs it's down to £17.99 quickly.

Jomjom

Banned
Oxx said:
It's usually pretty drastic in the UK. If something bombs it's down to £17.99 quickly.

Ah I see. What about a game that sells pretty well like Xenoblade? It doesn't seem like the game has a low print run either, but the price has held steady at $29.99.

Levyne

Banned
Quick question guys, doing quests around Makna Forest, and I notice an area NW of Bridge 2/Bridge 3 that I can't seem to access? Is that for later or what? There's a symbol for a map exit in the area too.

Khold said:
Quick question guys, doing quests around Makna Forest, and I notice an area NW of Bridge 2/Bridge 3 that I can't seem to access? Is that for later or what? There's a symbol for a map exit in the area too.
Yeah you will go there for a story quest

Levyne

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Yeah you will go there for a story quest

Cool, thanks.

So many quests...but I kinda like doing them. It comes at a point where you just get Riki and Melia so at least you can try out different parties and get some affinities up and such.

Oxx

jling84 said:
Ah I see. What about a game that sells pretty well like Xenoblade? It doesn't seem like the game has a low print run either, but the price has held steady at $29.99.

Hard to call. Generally the games that drop in price are the ones with big first shipments. It seems like Nintendo have been fairly conservative with Xenoblade and there was a time when it appeared that demand was greater than supply (at certain online retailers, at least).

It's worth keeping an eye on. You never know if a site might just want to clear their Xenoblade stock and drop the price accordingly.

Psymon_Stark said:
Ok, this seems like a joke, but my Wii stopped reading the disc while I was playing and gave me an error...and now it doesn't read any of my double layered discs...

I'm so pissed off, I was going for the last boss, finally...this is cruel :S

i'm slightly concerned about this myself, on an australian launch wii and i have to eject/insert the disk a few times for the wii to read the disc properly. no problems so far once it's started up but i can't help but be a little worried.

Levyne

Banned
Gravel Disk is the last item I need for the Forest's collection. Anyone know where it is more likely to spawn or if I can trade for it? Sorry to bug

Edit: Found some just searching for a while.

Gambit

SecretMoblin said:
Like most JRPGs, leveling up can make that fight much, much more bearable. Thankfully, there are plenty of places where grinding out a few levels shouldn't take long.

And like Leeness said, get used to the battle commands. It can save you the frustration of having your party members needlessly dying on the edges of the arena.

I shall try that now as well. Am at the same fight, with level 71. It's brutal.
My problem is that when I play Shulk myself I survive for a very long time, but when I play Melia I take off more of Lorithia's HP. My third character is Sharla. At the moment I am contemplating switching in 7th for Shulk, but I am not sure that's gonna help.

The easiest solution is probably to level up a bit. At this point in the story should that be done in Bionis Interior?

On the bright side, I've repeated the battle so frequently that my party affinity has raised considerably. Melia almost loves Shulk now, when she was indifferent to him before.

EDIT: Found the answer to where I should be leveling. Appearently a windy cave is the place to be. I shall find it

Cheska

I am finally going to buckle down and buy this, however I'm wondering if you Xeno vets can give me some insight. Is the story anything special or is it the fun gameplay what's been keeping you playing for so long?

Gambit

Cheska said:
I am finally going to buckle down and buy this, however I'm wondering if you Xeno vets can give me some insight. Is the story anything special or is it the fun gameplay what's been keeping you playing for so long?

I like the gameplay, but I keep playing for the story, the characters and the world itself. That's also why I only do the sidequests I encounter along the main path. Not going out of my way for them, because I am more interested in how the story continues.

Mistle

Gambit said:
I like the gameplay, but I keep playing for the story, the characters and the world itself. That's also why I only do the sidequests I encounter along the main path. Not going out of my way for them, because I am more interested in how the story continues.
Yep, I would say this also. Had heaps of fun playing it, but the world, characters and story is what made me gladly invest 80 hours into it.

Gambit said:
EDIT: Found the answer to where I should be leveling. Appearently a windy cave is the place to be. I shall find it
Yeah, Windy Cave on the Bionis' Leg is a good spot. The Hoxes and Gogols near the bridge on the Bionis' Leg are easy to kill, large in numbers, and dispense loads of EXP. Also, I forget their exact level, but I managed to jump a few levels in a half hour at Colony 9. There are two places there with high level enemies.

Top Bottom